The Brighter Side of Suffering

A Life A Little Less Ordinary

Jessica opened her door, seeing the person she wants the most on the other side.

 

“taeyeon!” she went in for a kiss. “I missed you…”

 

taeyeon embracing her as if she were a piece of glass “I missed you too sica” the girl looked at Jessica with loving eyes.

 

“I don’t want you to ever leave me…” she buried her head in taeyeon’s chest. “I don’t think I could handle it.” She said while being embraced by the latter.

 

“I won’t ever leave you…”

 

the voice has changed, Jessica knew it wasn’t taeyeon anymore.

 

“why do you sound weir-“ she glanced up at the person.

 

“and you won’t ever leave me again” she grabbed her arms, starting to squeeze them harder and harder each second.

 

“yuri, don’t” she pleaded. “TAEYEON!” she screamed looking around for the girl, but she’s nowhere to be found.

 

“She’s not going to bother with you anymore.”

 

She started to push yuri, but it seems like it’s doing nothing. “taeyeon! Taeyeon!”

 

taeyeon woke up being startle by jessica’s sudden cries and pushing.

 

“taeyeon! Where did you go taeyeon?” Jessica didn’t know because she is still asleep that she was pushing and hitting taeyeon away thinking that she is yuri.

 

Taeyeon held onto her making sure she doesn’t hurt her or herself. “I’m right here Jessica” she gently rocked her in a tight embrace but not tight enough to hurt her. “I’m right here…”

 

“taeyeon!” she screamed and fought because she was still in her nightmare “where are you?” she started to cry

 

“I’m right here Jessica, I’m right here. Shhh…shhh…I’m here”

 

Jessica slowly started to calm down when she heard the familiar voice making her come back to reality.

 

“I’m right here…I’m not going anywhere” taeyeon rocked her until her whole body relaxed.

 

She looked up at the girl “taeyeon…” she started to cry again holding the girl. “don’t leave me again…” she said in between her cries.

 

taeyeon comforted her even more after she heard that. “I’m not going any where okay? I’m here, I’m right here…” she kept repeating those words to the scared girl to reassure her she was safe and held her until she fell asleep again.

 

She laid her and Jessica on the bed again holding her to make she is comfortable. She brushed the strains of hair that were on jessica’s face. She started to feel guilty about the girl and started to talk in a whisper “I’m sorry you had to go through that Jessica…no one should ever have to go through something like that in their life…” She stared at the girl’s wrist and gently massaged the bruises “you should have not gone through that…” She furrowed her brows still hating the fact that yuri did this to her. “if she cared for you, she wouldn’t have hurt you like that…”

 

She laid there watching Jessica sleep for awhile since she couldn’t fall back asleep. She glanced at the time; her eyes widen suddenly realizing that she will be late for work if she doesn’t go now. Should I call in? ah no, I can’t. I just started there a week ago…ah… she looked at Jessica for a bit and went to her ear to whisper “I’ll only be gone for a little while…”

 

She got out of bed slowly making sure not to wake Jessica up. She then went to jessica’s desk and found a dry erase marker and went to Jessica bathroom.

 

----

 

krystal was laying on her bed reading a magazine until she heard a knock on her door. “come in”

 

“hey” taeyeon poked her head through the door.

 

krystal put down her magazine and looked at taeyeon. “hey you’re up”

 

“yeah…” she sighed “I have work at 2…”

 

krystal looked at the time it was only 12:45. “it’s kind of early for you to start heading into work isn’t it?”

 

taeyeon laughed a bit “yeah, but I gotta shower and pick up my uniform at my place and then drive to work.”

 

krystal did not think about that. “oh okay”

 

“I’ll come back after I get off.”

 

krystal looked up at her and smiled “okay”

 

taeyeon was about to leave when she forgot to mention something. “hey, can you lay next to your sister? I think she’s having nightmares about her…” she didn’t even want to mention or hear that name ever again.

 

Krystal’s face went from happy to instant hatred in a second. “yeah, I’ll do that. Have a good day at work…”

 

“okay” she glanced at the girl again “hey…”

 

“hmm?”

 

“don’t eat a lot tonight, I’ll bring some food and some of the desserts back” she smiled at krystal. It seemed to brighten the little Jung up a bit.

 

She chuckled “okay, I won’t”

 

Taeyeon closed the door and left to her house. Her body was feeling sore as hell from all the hits her body took the night before. Nothing hurt more than her face, which got the worst of it.

 

Taeyeon walked through the door being greeted by Yoona who was going to the kitchen.

 

“hey taeyeon” Yoona walked by and did a double take after seeing taeyeon’s face “what happened?” she went and examined her face seeing it a bit swollen.

 

“nothing…” she jerked her head away and kept walking to her room.

 

“come on taeyeon” Yoona pleaded

 

“don’t worry, it’s nothing” she walked into her room locking the door to get ready for the day.

 

Yoona just stood outside still wondering how she got that. She went to Sunny’s room to go and tell her. “hey sun”

 

“yeah?” she wasn’t paying attention that much.

 

“taeyeon came back with a swollen face…”

 

“WHAT?” she stopped what she was doing.

 

“she has a swollen face, it look like she was hit pretty good a couple of times”

 

sunny thought about it and came to a conclusion “maybe she got into a fight with someone?”

 

“if she did she would have just told me instead of saying it was ‘nothing’”

 

sunny thought long and hard. “you think minah…?”

 

Yoona raised a brow “maybe…?”

 

“we’ll ask her before she leaves”

 

taeyeon wiped the steam that had clouded the mirror. She glanced at her face, she saw there was very little bruising and the swelling had gone down a bit. She sighed and kept getting ready for work.

 

She was done getting ready and packed some clothes to stay again at Jessica’s for a couple more days. She headed downstairs to drive to work, but there were her best friends waiting at the bottom.

 

“taeyeon, can you tell us what happened to your face?”

 

taeyeon looked at Yoona and gave her a pissed off look because she told sunny. “nothing…”

 

“well I can clearly see that something happened to your face” sunny was getting tired of taeyeon not admitting it.

 

“yeah and I handled it” she kept walking towards the front door.

 

“was it minah?” sunny said before she walked out the door completely.

 

Taeyeon stopped walking in her tracks.

 

“she did this to you?”

 

“don’t worry, she just slapped me…and I already ended things with her…” she didn’t look back and just went to her car.

 

Sunny and Yoona are shocked at this new piece of information that they’ve just been fed.

 

----

 

Jessica slightly opened her eyes looking at a blurred version of her room. She rubbed her eyes, which helped her vision get a little better.

 

“morning sunshine” krystal said as she turned a page of a book she is reading.

 

Jessica sat up on her bed quickly. “where’s taeyeon?”

 

Krystal looked at her and can see she is kind of anxious “she just went to work and don’t worry she’s coming back here after she gets off”

 

“oh…” she ran her fingers through her hair. “I thought she would at least wake me up to tell me she was going…”

 

krystal rolled her eyes. “she knows you need to rest and she told me to come in here to watch you just incase you have another night terror or nightmare thing”

 

“did i?”

 

“no, you were fine. You just slept.”

 

she sighed in relief “okay, good” she started to gently rub her wrist.

 

Krystal saw the bruises that yuri had caused on her sister. “I’m glad taeyeon gave her what she deserves”

 

Jessica looked at her sister “yeah…” she gave a faint smile. “taeyeon barely did anything, but she still made yuri feel a lot of pain”

 

Jessica went into full detail about taeyeon and yuri’s little encounter to her sister. It was actually making her feel a little better.

 

Krystal sat watching her sister talk about taeyeon. She snickered to herself, which made Jessica look at her funny.

 

“what?”

 

“you’re talking about taeyeon like she is a superhero…it’s kind of cute to see you like that.”

 

Jessica smiled “well she kind of is don’t you think?”

 

“oh yeah, I remember thinking that she was pretty hot the first time she beat up yuri.”

 

“what?” Jessica looked at her sister shocked to hear the word “hot” as she was describing taeyeon.

 

“oh, this was before I started to like Yoona” she patted her sisters arm “you got nothing to worry about” she smiled

 

“I better not…” she looked at her sister oddly.

 

“that ship has sail Jessica. These eyes be only for Yoona now” she smiled to herself.

 

“they better be.” She sighed “well you can go back to whatever you were doing, I’m going to take a shower”

 

krystal exited her room and left Jessica there.

 

Jessica was still kind of sad that taeyeon didn’t tell her she was going. She grabbed her towel and headed into the bathroom. She placed her towel on the sink counter and looked up at the mirror. She smiled to herself because taeyeon left her a message on her bathroom mirror.

 

“morning Jessica, sorry I had to go. I have work and I didn’t want to wake you up. I’ll be back before 11. I’ll see you then.”

 

“she still surprises me…” she chuckled to herself and got ready.

 

----

 

“good afternoon chef” taeyeon greeted as she came in through the kitchen doors ready to get straight to work.

 

The chef was still prepping the food and didn’t look up at taeyeon. “you ready for the incoming rush?”

 

“of course chef, I wouldn’t have come if I wasn’t” she slightly joked with the man.

 

The chef looked at taeyeon and started to laugh, but it died down when he saw her face. He didn’t want to say anything about it, but his father instincts kicked in. “are you okay?”

 

“what chef?” she said as she was taking out her equipment.

 

“your face…are you okay to work today?”

 

taeyeon stopped taking out her equipment and looked at him with a smile “it’s fine chef, I can work.”

 

“you sure?”

 

“it’s just my face, I don’t make the desserts with my face chef” she chuckled a bit “It wouldn’t be sanitary even if I did”

 

he faintly chuckled “all right.” He wanted to say things to her that he would to his own daughter, but since she isn’t his he just kept his mouth shut.

 

Things have gotten quiet between the two since discussing taeyeon’s bruised face because of the dinner rush as started. Things were moving at a quick pace making all the chefs and cooks focus on the quality of their food. When it started to die down, the head chef started to talk with taeyeon again.

 

“the only time my face was like that, well not as bad as that, but it was when my wife saw me talking to another woman…”

 

taeyeon stopped icing the layered cake.

 

“I was just giving her directions and my wife jumped to conclusions…” he chuckled.

 

“women, am I right chef?” she grinned at him “jumping to conclusion before they hear the whole story…”

 

“eh?” he looked at her “I thought it was your boyfriend that did that to you?”

 

taeyeon busted out laughing. “no chef” she waved it off still laughing. “I don’t date men”

 

“oh…” he got sudden embarrassment from thinking that she dated guys. “sorry abo-“

 

“don’t be chef, it happens.” She giggled a little more and returning to icing the cake.

 

“so it was a girl you were dating?”

 

“we weren’t dating…we were just seeing each other, still feeling each other out you know?”

 

“ah, I remember them days…” he smiled reminiscing about his youth.

 

“did you have a lot of girls chef?”

 

“I had a few in my time, they were beautiful girls too”

 

“your wife must’ve been the most beautiful of the-“

 

a waiter came through the door. “chef taeyeon, a table has requested that you bring out their desserts personally”

 

taeyeon looked at the chef “excuse me chef” he nodded and she bowed grabbing the two desserts to bring to the table that had requested her. When taeyeon was walking to said table she recognized who was sitting facing her, watching her walk towards them. You’re at work, just act professional and get back to the kitchen as fast as you can.

 

“here are you’re raspberry cheese cakes you ordered, I hope you enjoy them” she bowed respectfully and was going to walk off when a hand grabbed her. She looked to see who it was and it was the other person at the table.

 

“you’re name is taeyeon right?”

 

“yes ma’am it is” she fixed her sleeves. “are you finding trouble with the desserts that I have just brought out?”

 

“no, they’re fine. I was wondering why you stopped going out with my friend here”

 

taeyeon looked at minah and then back at her friend “if you don’t have any complaints about the desserts, I’ll take my leave back into the kitchen ma’am”

 

“I have a complaint, but it’s about you” she took a drink of her water before talking again. “why did you raise your voice to my friend and then you just end things with her?”

 

the other costumers were watching the two talk. Taeyeon was seeing all eyes on her. “I’m sorry ma’am, but I have to get back into the kitchen” taeyeon tried to leave again but the person was still holding onto her chef coat.

 

“why did you do that to a sweet girl, my best friend minah”

 

“YURA!” a voice came out of nowhere.

 

The girl let go of taeyeon hearing that voice “yes dad?”

 

The chef was walking to them. “why are you holding up my pastry chef?” he looked at her furious “she has work to continue to do and you’re asking her silly questions about her relationship with minah?”

 

“dad I-“

 

“I’ll see you at home” he gave her a very dejected look. He looked at all his costumers “sorry for the interruption, continue to enjoy your night” he bowed and walked with taeyeon back into the kitchen.

 

“sorry for causing a scene in there chef…” she said as they got back into the closed doors of the kitchen.

 

“it wasn’t your fault. Just get back to work” he gave her a smile.

 

Taeyeon just focused making desserts until it was time for her shift to end.

 

Her and the head chef walked outside to their cars once work was over.

 

“you did a good job tonight taeyeon, even with that little incident”

 

“thank you chef” she smiled at him and then looking in the direction of her car. She stopped walking making the head chef look back at her.

 

“why did you stop?”

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow night chef. Good night” she walked over to the person that was waiting by her car.

 

“night taeyeon” he watched her walk off and he went to his car.

 

Taeyeon just walked by the person that was waiting and went straight to her car door to open it.

 

“taeyeon…”

“you know you really embarrassed me in there with your friend in front of the costumers…”

 

“I didn’t know she was going to do that…”

 

taeyeon just nodded her head because of frustration. “what do you want minah?”

 

“I wanted to know if we could get back together”

 

“no…”

 

minah’s eyes started to tear up. “whyyy?”

 

“because you hit me”

 

“that’s it? That’s why?”

 

“you think it’s okay to hit me?” taeyeon went up to her still keeping her voice at a normal volume. “you think that’s okay?”

 

“I handled it wrong I know that, but I thought we had something…”

 

taeyeon sighed “we probably could’ve, but that you pulled last night doesn’t fly with me”

 

“I said I’m sorry for that”

 

“look at my face minah, it looks like !”

 

minah tried to stifle her cry seeing her doing.

 

Taeyeon was starting to walk back to the driver side of the car.

 

“I thought you really liked me taeyeon…” she didn’t mean to say it but I came out of her like word vomit. “I guess you were just after something else…”

 

taeyeon stopped, angry at what minah was implying. “are you saying what I wanted from you was just ?”

 

“well we never were in a relationship and just hooked up with me whenever you wanted”

 

“when-whenever I wanted?” she laughed in disbelief. “I’m not the one saying ‘you want to continue this at my place’, ‘you want to come inside’, or ‘do you want to come over and stay the night’. You said that, you can’t put it all on me.”

 

“but you didn’t deny it at all either”

 

“if you haven’t notice, but it takes two people to minah. I’m not the only one that wanted it, you did too” she opened her car door. “don’t try to put the blame on me”

 

minah was defeated and just tried to go for low blows. “go back with that blonde then…”

 

taeyeon balled her fist and said calmly. “that is funny coming from someone who is just as easy as one…” she sat in her car and closed the door.

 

Her restrained response hit minah hard, as she didn’t say anything back.

 

she started her car and rolled down the windows to tell her one last thing. “don’t try to see or call me again” she drove off heading back to jessica’s.

 

----

 

Jessica and krystal were just lounging in the living room waiting for taeyeon to get back.

 

“it’s already 11” Jessica sighed “when is she going to come back…”

 

“she should be coming soon enough”

 

the doorbell rang and Jessica quickly got up out of her seat to open the door.

 

“hey” taeyeon smiled with two bags of food in her hands

 

Jessica pounced on her, hugging her tightly.

 

Taeyeon tried to steady herself so she wouldn’t be unbalanced and fall, also so she won’t drop the food.

 

Krystal walked over and grabbed the bags that she was holding to bring them to the kitchen.

 

“thanks krys” she smiled and looked at the girl still holding her. “how are you doing today?”

 

Jessica broke away from taeyeon “better now that you’re back”

 

“that’s good” she smiled again “I brought back some food and desserts from my work for you guys” she grabbed her hand gently and led her to her dining table.

 

Krystal had put out all the food that taeyeon had brought. “taeyeon…this is…this looks delicious”

 

“thank you, but the head chef is the one that made the main dishes, I just did the desserts”

 

“well either way, they all look delicious” she sat down and began to eat the food.

 

Taeyeon looked at Jessica “you should eat too” she pulled out the chair for her.

 

“aren’t you going to also?” she asked because taeyeon wasn’t looking like she wasn’t going to eat.

 

“yeah after I change out of my uniform.” She looked at it “it’s pretty dirty”

 

krystal looked up “taeyeon, I got the guest room ready for you so you can change and sleep in there tonight”

 

“thank you krystal” she smiled “where is it at?”

 

“it’s right across from jessica’s room”

 

taeyeon nodded and head up to the room with her backpack full of clothes and other necessities.

 

Jessica wanted to kick her sister’s shin under the table because she wanted taeyeon to sleep by her again tonight.

 

“why you giving me that look Jess?” krystal stopped putting food into when she saw her sister give her that stare.

 

“nothing…” she went back to eating.

 

“I’ll eat the in the living room…” krystal got her plate and went seeing that she’ll be the third wheel when taeyeon comes back.

 

Jessica ate by herself waiting for taeyeon to come back down.

 

“where did krystal go?” taeyeon sat across from Jessica putting some food on a plate for her.

 

“she’s eating in there” she point in the direction of the living room.

 

“oh” she began to eat.

 

“You know…” Jessica paused and taeyeon looked at her. “she told me what happened between you and minah last night…”

 

she put down her eating utensil. “oh…about that, I hope you didn’t see any of it”

 

“I didn’t” she looked at her face “but I was just wondering are you okay”

 

taeyeon looked up and gave her a smile “it’s fine, it just hurts a bit. Nothing to worry about”

 

she couldn’t believe the words she was about to say “I’m sorry that you and her broke up also…”

 

taeyeon exhaled out of her nose chuckling. “we weren’t anything to be broken up

 

“huh?” Jessica was slightly confused.

 

“we were just seeing each other” she continued to eat.

 

“oh…”

 

“yeah…can we change the subject? I don’t really want to talk about her right now”

 

“I agree” she smiled “how was work?”

 

taeyeon groaned. “it was okay…” she looked up at her “can we change it again?”

 

Jessica tried joking with her “don’t tell me she was there too” she laughed and looked at her, she saw she wasn’t laughing. “was she really?”

 

Taeyeon just nodded.

 

“okay then…tell me what desserts you made today”

 

taeyeon chuckled “I made cheesecakes with a two berry topping, I made a layered cake, and I had a lot of chocolate soufflés to make.”

 

“and which one did you bring back?” she eyed the dessert container.

 

“guess…” she gave her a mischievous grin.

 

“what do I get if I get it right?”

 

taeyeon thought for a minute “um…I can’t think of anything?”

 

“okay, fine. If I guess it right then you have to say yes to any request I make for the rest of the night”

 

taeyeon thought about it “I’m fine with that” she reached out her hand and smiled at her “deal”

 

Jessica thought that this guessing will be a piece of cake (pun intended! :D) it’s one of the three she mentioned. This is going to be so easy. “okay, I think it’s the cheesecake”

 

“you sure about that?” she walked over and sat by her.

 

taeyeon’s response made Jessica second guess herself “yeea-no! it’s the layered cake” she opened up the container seeing that it wasn’t the three that she mentioned at all.

 

Taeyeon laughed “it’s strawberry short cake with homemade whip cream”

 

Jessica face palmed herself and looked at taeyeon and shoved her playfully “you didn’t tell me you made this one” she got some whip cream and put it on the side of taeyeon’s lip.

 

“hey!” taeyeon pouted

 

Jessica just laughed and taeyeon joined her. Their laugher die down a bit and Jessica looked at taeyeon, seeing she still has whipped cream on her face. With her thumb she removed it she stared at her lips for a couple of seconds before going in for a kiss.

 

Taeyeon kissed her back tenderly, jessica cupped her face a little too hard “fffu…” taeyeon muffled her painful cry and stopped kissing Jessica.

 

Jessica reacted her hands after taeyeon’s reaction “sorry, I forgot…” she gently ran her hand over her cheeks this time.

 

“it’s okay…” she said as the pain was still there but fading away.

 

She got a fork and grabbed a little piece of the cake for Jessica “here”

 

Jessica put down her hands an accepted the piece of strawberry short cake the girl offered her. “it’s good”

 

Their night went on just talking and joking with each other.

 

Taeyeon looked at Jessica seeing her trying to keep her eyes open “you getting sleepy?”

 

Jessica looked at her with her droopy eyes “no, not at all”

 

Taeyeon giggled at the girl “you are sleepy”

 

“no I’m not” she rested her head on the dining table fighting the urge to go to dream land.

 

Taeyeon got up and carried her to her room. “it’s not good to sleep on the table, you’ll hurt your neck.”

 

Jessica barely giggled “I told you I’m not sleepy yet”

 

“your eyes say different”

 

“I can tape them open”

 

taeyeon laughed “you’re sleepy, don’t fight it” she finally got into her room and placed her on the bed. “go to sleep”

 

“I don’t want to” she pouted like a little girl

 

“why not?”

 

Jessica stopped acting cute “because I don’t want to have a nightmare again…”

 

Taeyeon sat down by her “Jessica, you’re safe here. She’s not going to bother you no more because I’m here okay?”

 

She looked up at taeyeon “can you sleep with me again tonight? I feel safer when you’re near me”

 

“yeah I will” she smiled at the girl. they both slept in peace that night. (with no funny business :P)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

herro! hope you guys like the new update!

thank you new readers and new subcribers and thank you for the comments you leave! have a kickass weekend! :)