Chapter 7

Silly Baozi

Chanhee and Minseok chit-chatted idly about everything and nothing.  Chanhee put down her teacup and studied him for a few seconds.  “Okay, I have to ask because you have me completely baffled.”  Minseok held a confused face.  “Are you older than me?  You look like you could still be in high school.  Just how old are you?”  He chuckled a bit to himself.

 

“I get that a lot.  When I’m out with my dongsaengs, people automatically assume I’m the youngest.  I’m actually 23 years old.”  Chanhee’s jaw dropped slightly.

 

“Jinjja?”

 

“Ne.”

 

“So I won the bet between Nana-unnie.  She said you were probably the youngest person at the party.  But something told me you were older than that from how you talk and act.  You’re really mature oppa.”  The tips of Xiumin’s ears started to burn.  Not from the compliment, but from her calling him oppa.  He smiled shyly and rubbed the back of his neck.  “So how was the party after I left?”

 

“I wouldn’t really know.  I ended up staying on the deck basically all night.  Then I helped clean up and drag my roommates to bed.  I’m gonna guess at least one will have a slight hangover when he wakes up.  I left water and medicine for everyone, so they should be okay until I get back.”

 

“They must be lucky.  It sounds like their hyung takes perfect care of them.”  She got up from her seat and went over to the stove again.  A little while ago, more baozi had been put into the pressure cooker and they should be about ready.  Chanhee took off the lid and checked on the food.  They were definitely ready.  She pulled them out and set them on a plate, then covered them with saran wrap and brought them to the table.  She had cooked another batch before these and those were also on the table.

 

“Are you catering to a party?  That’s quite a few.”

 

“I told you that you could take some home.  These are for you and your friends.”

 

“I can’t allow you to do that.  Making these isn’t easy and I would hate it if we took them all.”  She smiled sweetly.

 

“Don’t worry about it.  I was going to make some for my cousin and his friends as a surprise, but they can just wait until later.  It’s not like I can’t make more anyway.  I want you to take them home.”  He simply nodded.  Xiumin didn’t bother arguing with her.  He just knew that if his dongsaengs didn’t eat them all, he would shove them down their throats.

 

“Well I guess I better get them back while they’re still warm.  Thank you for lunch.  It was really good.”

 

“Well it’s thanks for last night and helping get rid of Jinyoung.  And an apology for getting you punched in the face.  How’s the cheek?”

 

“A bit sore, but I’ll live.”  Chanhee pulled out a cloth tote and placed the plates of baozi inside.

 

“I just hope that your friends won’t blame me too much because of it.”  She handed over the bag.  “It was nice talking to you Minseok-oppa.  Maybe we can do this again sometime.”

 

“I’d like that a lot Chanhee-ah.”  He bowed and left the shop, making sure to go straight home.  It was lunch time.  If they weren’t up now, then something was wrong.

 

---------------------------------

 

When Xiumin came home, everyone was up, but still moving pretty sluggishly.  Chen came into the living room dressed, but with a towel over his damp hair.  “Hyung, where did you go?  And what’s in the bag?”  

 

Minseok looked around and whispered to Jongdae, “Remember that girl I was talking about yesterday?”  Chen nodded.  “Well I got to talk to her for a little bit at the party last night.  Then this morning I was going out to lunch and let’s just say something happened and we ended up having lunch together.  And it was her cooking.  It was so wonderful I don’t know what to do now.”  Chen clapped the other on the back.

 

“Looks like you did alright by yourself.  But that still doesn’t answer what’s in that bag.  It smells good.”

 

“It’s lunch for you guys.  She made it so if you guys don’t eat it all, I will personally shove it down your throats.”  He placed the bag on the dining table and removed the three plates of baozi.  Chen rubbed his hands together.

 

Xiumin cleared his throat before yelling, “Wǔcān!”  All the doors in the dorm opened and boys came racing out.  “Woah!” Minseok moved the plates before Luhan tried to dig in.  “Wash your hands first.  You know the rules.  All of you.”  His dongsaengs complained, but followed his rules and cleaned themselves up before sitting at the table properly.  

 

Kris was dividing up the servings when he asked, “You seem like you’re in a good mood hyung.  What happened?”  Xiumin exchanged looks with the other Korean in the room.

 

“N-nothing really.  It’s just we have my favorite food.  Why wouldn’t I be in a good mood.”

 

“Fine.  But why does your face look different?  Is your cheek swollen?”

 

“No!” Minseok half screamed.  All eyes shifted to him.

 

Crap.