Chapter 16

Silly Baozi

After a good night’s sleep,  Chanhee and Nana woke up just as every girl does.  Messy hair, twisted clothes, and a tired face.  Good thing about Nana’s apartment was that there was a couples sink, meaning two people could get ready at the same time without getting too crowded.  Nana showered, then Chanhee.  After that, it was time to get dressed.  Nana had put together Chanhee’s outfit the day before, so while Chanhee took a shower, the unnie decided best friends need to match sometimes.  Why not today?

 

Chanhee came out the bathroom after drying her hair and stood beside Nana.  In front of them on Nana’s bed, their outfits were spread out.  Chanhee raised an eyebrow.  “Did you really just make us match?”  Her unnie smiled and nodded.

 

“My dongsaeng was going to look so cute in her dress, so I thought her unnie match her cuteness.  Now.”  Nana looked Chanhee up and down.  Since they both were freshly showered, both had one sweatpants and a random tank top.  “What time is it?” she asked?

 

Chanhee opened to say the actual time, but she knew that’s not what Nana actually meant.  She huffed and said in a low mumble, “It’s makeup time…”  She let Nana push her back into the bathroom where all the beauty supplies were.  With Nana being a licensed beautician, she always had what they needed.   Chanhee sat on the counter and let her unnie paint her face.

 

Makeup?  Done.  Hair?  Curled and pulled back into a loose ponytail.  Outfit?  To die for!  Now Chanhee was ready for the mall, even though she looked ready for a date.  After waiting for Nana, the two finally left for the mall.

 

Via Nana’s car, the girls arrived at the mall and immediately started their trip with a visit to the food court.  A girl’s gotta eat, right?  As they ate, the conversation continued from yesterday.

 

“So, when do you think Minseok will ask you on a date?”  Chanhee almost choked on her muffin while Nana casually sipped her strawberry smoothie.

 

“Unnie!  For heaven’s sake, he's not gonna ask me on a date!  We were just both set up by you and Yifan."

 

"But, would you say yes if he did?"  Chanhee stayed quiet for a moment, actually pondering the question.

 

"Maybe.  I mean, yes he is sweet and gentle."

 

"And handsome?"  Chanhee sighed.

 

"Yes, and handsome, but I don't think I want another relationship right now.  The last one didn't end so great, so I'm in no rush to jump into another one."

 

"No one is saying you need to rush, but it wouldn't hurt to get your feet wet."  Nana finished her smoothie and started collecting the trash from their finished meals.

 

Now with full bellies, the girls started their mall adventure.  They hit a few clothing stores before heading into one of the new accessory shops.  It sold both male and female items, so it didn't surprise them that there were male clerks.  As they browsed, one of the male employees came up and asked if they needed any assistance.  Chanhee turned to him and said that they were just browsing, but the employee's jaw dropped.

 

"Is your name Chanhee?" he asked.  Slightly confused, she nodded.

 

"Do I know you?"  The boy smiled at her.

 

"No, but you know my hyungs.  I'm Kim Jongdae.  I live with Minseok and Yifan.  I saw the pictures you and Minseok so I that's why I knew what you looked like."  Now understanding the situation, Chanhee nodded and smiled.

 

"It's nice to meet you then Kim Jongdae."  She bowed and he did the same.  Just then, Nana came back from looking at the hats and other hair accessories.

 

"Chanhee-ah, they have the cutest hair bows!  Come look!"  Chanhee turned to her.

 

"Nana-unnie, this is Kim Jongdae.  He lives with Minseok and Yifan-oppa."

 

"I think I remember seeing you at the party.  You were dancing on of the tables."  Jongdae laughed and rubbed the back of his neck with his left hand.

 

"Yeah, I got a little crazy the other night.  Please forget that."

 

"Forget what?"  Nana asked innocently.  Jongdae cracked a smile.

 

"I like you."  There was an audible vibration just then.  Chen reached into his back pocket and took out his phone.  he and Yifan, even though they were both supposed to be working, had been sending each other Snapchats.  All the tenants in EXO-M had an account and that gave Jongdae an idea.  He looked back at the girls.

 

"I have a question to ask, and feel free to say no. Would you guys do a Snapchat with me that I could send my hyungs since they wouldn't believe that I met you two?"  Chanhee and Nana looked at each other and silently agreed with nods.  Jongdae checked around for his boss before positioning his phone to take a selca with Chanhee.  Jongdae clicked on Minseok's username and shot a picture of the two.  The he added the caption, Look who I found!  He did the same thing with Nana and sent it to Yifan.  He took screenshots of both before sending them.

 

"Great.  Thanks.  Now, don't forget to ask me for help when you come here.  No one else here has any fashion sense."  The girls giggled.

 

"Well, since you have so much fashion sense, what do you think we should buy?" Nana questioned.  Jongdae took a step back and surveyed the girls.

 

“I see I have two fashionista in front of me.  You two already have such good looks, what can I give you two to enhance this.”  He tapped his chin in thought.  “The only thing I can think of is to adorn you with rings.  And I think I have the perfect ones in mind.  Follow me!”  He turned around and headed for the back on the store.  Rings were set up in rows.  Nana’s eyes brightened.  Jongdae scanned over the many rows before picking out a white brass winged ring.  He gently took Nana’s right hand and slid on the ring.  It fit like a glove.  Nana marveled.

 

“Wings for the angel.  You like it?”  Nana nodded like a horse.  “And for you, Chanhee…”  He pulled out a pearl-colored, flower-shaped ring with a topaz blue-crystal in the center.  "A flower for the prettiest rose in the garden."  Jongdae slipped it on her right ring finger.  Chanhee wasn't usually the one who wore rings, but this one was really beautiful.

 

Nana finally snapped out her daze.  "These are gorgeous.  We will take them!  How much?"

 

"Hmm...Since you two are so special, let's use my employee discount with this order.  How about...₩8,000 total."  Nana clapped her hands in excitement.  Chanhee on the other hand looked at the actual prices for the rings.  They were ₩20,000 each.  He was practically giving them the rings for free.

 

"No way!  That's too little.  We should at least pay full price for one of the rings."  Jongdae shook his head.

 

"Not gonna happen."

 

"Then I won't buy it."  Jongdae huffed, but he had a smirk on his face.

 

"You are a stubborn girl, but you know you want it."

 

"I can live without it.  I can't let you give us such a big discount."  Jongdae was quiet for a moment.  You could almost see the gears turning in his head.

 

"Tell you what.  Make some more of those steamed buns and we can call this even.  The ones that hyung brought home were the best."  Her face formed a smile.


"Deal!"  Jongdae rung up that rings and the girls bid him a good day as they continued shopping and he continued working.