Chapter 23

Silly Baozi

 

 

 

Minseok could feel the blood rush from his face.  Please!  Anything but that!  He regretted accepting the first time.  Now he was going to have to do it all over again.  Would it be best just to let Jiseok win?  Or would that be considered an insult?  Was it too late to just turn around and go back home?  Minseok turned around to look at his dongsaeng with a face that read, HELP!

 

Yifan turned to look at Nana with a pleading look, but she just shrugged her shoulders.  She may have known Jiseok for years, but he was still so unpredictable.  In other words, no one could really help at this point.

 

Minseok let out a big sigh and turned back around to face Jiseok.  In reality, no one would win this match.  It was either Minseok wins and hurts Jiseok’s pride, or he loses and looks like a weakling.  

 

Jiseok could see the hesitation in Minseok.  He actually appreciated it.  When Jinyoung had dated Chanhee, he would jump in head first without thinking of the consequences.  Minseok was a lot more level-headed and serious about the whole thing.  It made Jiseok chuckle a bit to himself, before addressing Minseok, “I’ll tell you what.  I proposition for you.”  Minseok looked into his face with a mixture of curiosity and fright.  “Beat me, and I promise I will always have your back.  Show me you can fight for her.  Show me I have nothing to worry about.  I wanna make sure this time she will be taken care of.  Beat me and prove you’re the man for the job.”  Jiho let out a low whistle.  His hyung never was so adamant about something like this before.  Nor did he ever make such huge promises.

 

As Jiseok spoke, Minseok stood straight up and looked him dead in the eye.  Slowly that look of fright changed into one of courage.  Beat me and prove you’re the man for the job.  That sounds exactly what Minseok needed to do.  Not only to prove it to Jiseok, but to prove it to himself.  He wanted to be strong for her.  So strong she didn’t need anyone to defend her.  Minseok slowly nodded, not breaking eye contact.

 

A silly grin etched itself onto Jiho’s face as he rubbed his hands together.  He started clearing a space on the dining table in the kitchen.  Probably the most fitting space to have the contest.  Minseok and Jiseok made their way over and took a seat parallel to each other.  Minseok let out one more large sigh before positioning himself, Jiseok doing the same.  Jiho acted as referee, placing his hands on top of their entwined hands.  He gave a quick nod to both of them before letting go.  The males pushed against each other.  Neither one wanting to give a centimeter.  If you looked at their upper arms, biceps were being unintentionally flexed.  Just like the first time, there was no give on either side for a moment.  This stalemate lasted a good 20 seconds before Minseok could feel his opponent’s power drain.  Slowly, Minseok continued having the upper hand.  Both of their faces turning light shades of pink.

 

Chanhee, who had been sent on a trip to the store, came in on the scene, which had gained quite the audience at the party.  She struggled to earn herself a spot right next to Nana, who was standing behind Minseok.  There was a lot of cheering and music blaring, so instead of voicing her question, Chanhee sent her best friend a WTF look.  Nana grinned but didn’t offer an explanation.  Chanhee rolled her eyes in response, but soon refocused on the match.  Soon enough, the back of Jiseok’s hand landed on the table.  There was a mix of cheers and disappointment throughout the crowd.  The men separated their hands and Jiseok let a cuss word sneak out under his breath as he leaned back in his chair, staring back at his opponent.  Minseok was flexing the hand he had used in the match.  Shyly, he peered at Jiseok for a reaction.  Jiseok snickered before nodding his head.  This caused Minseok to let go of the sigh he wasn’t aware he had been holding and let his lips turn upwards into a smile.  He stood up and turned around expecting Yifan to be behind him.  Seeing Chanhee made him stumble back again the table.  Minseok could see Yifan laughing silently a bit away.  

 

“Ch-Chanhee-ah.  Umm….”  Minseok was getting all his words mixed around while trying to find the appropriate way to explain what just happened.  A large hand took hold of his shoulder and made him peer back.  Jiseok had slid beside him and looked down at his dongsaeng.

 

“We were just doing some….Male-bonding.”  Jiseok look over to Minseok, then back to Chanhee.  “I think we are gonna be good friends in the future.”

 

Chanhee raised an eyebrow.  That sounded a bit suspicious.  Jiseok was never one to want to make new friends on his own.  She shifted her gaze to Minseok.  He was lightly biting his bottom lip and giving her a shy glance.  His bashful demeanor made Chanhee drop her suspicion and give out a grin.  Seeing Chanhee’s smile, Minseok felt his heart melt.  A smile made its way to his face as well.

 

Jiseok looked between the two of them and glanced over to Nana.  She was trying her best not to laugh, but looked like she was gonna explode at any moment.  Jiseok rolled his eyes and sighed.  Was he gonna have to do everything?

 

“Chanhee-ah, when is the next day you are free?” Jiseok asked.

 

“Um..I think the next day would probably be next Saturday.”

 

Jiseok looked at his ‘new friend’ and asked if he would be busy next Saturday.  Minseok thought for a moment before replying that he didn’t have any plans.  Jiseok smiled at the both of them.  “Great.  That’s all I need to know.”  That’s all he said before clapping Minseok on the back and slipping back into the party.  They both stared after him before looking back at each other and shrugging.

 

-----------------------------------------------

A/N:  Hey guys.  Please don't hate me for being gone for so long.  School and work got a hold of me and it .  I'm gonna try to be more consistent with the chapters again.  Again, I'm so sorry.

 

On a different note:  What do you think Jiseok asked that question for?