Chapter 6

Silly Baozi

Chanhee carefully lifted the buns from the steamer and on to a plate.  Minseok’s mouth started to water.  Luhan had given the nickname baozi for a reason.  He loved the food so much, one of his favorite Chinese foods.

 

Chanhee placed the plate in front of Minseok and had a seat beside him.  “They came out okay.  Since it’s lunch time, would you like some?”  Xiumin’s eyes widened.  These were the famous steamed buns that Kyunghu had mentioned.  Of course he wanted one!  He thanked her and picked one up.  Just as he unhinged his jaw, a pain shot through his face and he yelped in pain.  Chanhee quickly reapplied the ice pack to the side of his face.

 

“I’m so sorry.  That must have hurt immensely.  Jinyoung got in a pretty good hit, huh?”

 

Minseok chuckled a little.  “It’s alright.  I knew I probably shouldn’t have attempted them, but they are one of my favorites, and I couldn’t resist the personality of the hostess.”  Heat started to creep up Chanhee cheeks.  That was the most subtle, but efficient complement she had ever received.  A sweet smile graced her face.  On would have made itself present on Minseok as well, but his jaw hurt too much.

 

“Well, how about I wrap some up for you to take home?  Maybe they could be a snack when your cheek stops hurting.”

 

Minseok gave her a weak smile.  “I’d like that, but I have to hide them from my dongsaengs.  They are like blood hounds.  If I enter the dorm with just a candy bar, they find it easily.”

 

“Well, I guess I will have to pack some for each one that way you can enjoy yours.”

 

“No, I can’t inconvenience you like that.”

 

“It’s the least I can do for sending their hyung home in this condition.  Besides, I can always make more.”  Chanhee removed the ice pack and gently pressed on his tender, soft skin.  The ice had helped numb the pain, but all he felt was her cold fingers his face.  Most of the time, Xiumin hated for someone to touch his face, but it was different with Chanhee.  Her light touch made his heart pump faster.

 

Unfortunately this moment was short lived when someone else entered the room.  She looked kind of like an older version of Chanhee.  She seemed to be looking at something on her phone.  “Chanhee-ah, I’m going out for lunch.  Make sure that you water the flowers hanging from the ceiling.  And we are closing early tonight since your uncle wants to go out to dinner.”

 

“Imo.”

 

“And make sure that your cousin does his homework for me?  You know he loves to goof off.”

 

“Imo.”

 

“Also, we just got in a new shipment of roses that need to be dethroned, so pl-”

 

“Imo!”  Chanhee’s aunt finally looked up.  “We do have a guest.”  Chanhee’s aunt finally looked over to Minseok.  He stood and bowed.

 

“Kim Minseok-imnida.  It’s nice to meet you.”  The aunt presented herself herself the same way.

 

“I’m sorry.  I didn’t know we had a visitor.  You must think me rude.”

 

“Not at all.  You seem to be in a rush so don’t let me stop you.”

 

“Aigoo, so sweet.  Chanhee, I hope you keep this one.  He seems like he would make a good hus-”

 

“Imo!”  Chanhee’s face started to turn a bright shade of pink.  “Go and meet Kyunghu-imo!  Please!”

 

“Gong Kyunghu-ssi?” asked Minseok.  Chanhee’s aunt confirmed that he was right.  “Ah, I work in the same office as her.  The flowers that were brought to her on her anniversary were amazing.  I would only expect so from such a high-class shop as this.”

 

“I like you.  You are welcome here whenever you like.  Chanhee, make sure he has whatever he wants.”  With that, Chanhee’s aunt made her way off the property.  Chanhee buried her face in her palms.  Why did her aunt have to be so embarrassing?

 

While she muddled over how distressing her family was, he made another attempt at the baozi.  The pain was numbed by the ice so there was only a slight pain why he opened his mouth, but soon the pain was overpowered by the deliciousness of Chanhee’s creation.  He purred in pleasure and quickly finished his first and started on his second.  Chanhee looked up and giggled lightly.

 

“Someone must be feeling better.”

 

“De isu hewped a rot!”  He meant to say the ice helped a lot, but his mouth was full at the moment.

 

“I’m glad, but don’t eat too fast.  We don’t want you to choke.”  The kettle that Chanhee put on a few minutes back started to whistle.  She set out two tea cups and finished the makeshift lunch.

 
--------------------------------------
 
Just a little poll.  I hope you will read Mall Sweetheart too, but I think I'm gonna rewrite Mall Sweetheart into a third person story.