Saturday. The Dinner

Story of My Life!

Selina looked up. She saw her parents standing on the top of the stairs. What were they doing there?

"Greetings, Mr. and Mrs. Ren. I'm Jiro Wang,"

"Are you that boy on the phone?"

"Yes, yes." Jiro's face was serious. Selina had never seen him like that. In fact, why in the world was he meeting her parents? They weren't going to get married, at least she doesn't think so, and they're only 15! [I wonder if it's so formal with other people?] Selina just stood there.

"Mom, dad, why are you up there? Didn't you-- weren't you going to make dinner?"

They ignored her. Her dad kept on asking. "Why do you want to date my daughter, she's dumb, lazy, and ugly."

[Wow, thanks, dad.]

"She may be ugly and stupid, and lazy in your opinion, but she's the most perfect girl I've met," Jiro rebutted back.

"Same old excuses, she's perfect, she's pretty, nonsense!"

Selina's mom started down the stairs. She nodded for Selina to come help her cook. Selina followed. The atmosphere was tense, and Selina didn't want to hear her dad diss her even more.

Her mom spoke, "Do you know how worried I was? I came home from work to find you gone, your stuff outside." [Oh, it was mom that was worried, not dad. Katie didn't seem upset, she just looked like she knew. And where was Ken? Was he worried?]

"Oh, I wasn't wanted." Selina burned her hands. Selina felt tears in her eyes. [Why the hell am I so emotional now?] "Dad wanted Hebe as a daughter, not me. I'm never meeting your expectations."

"We just want what's best for our daughter."

"But you let me unhappy like this? Jiro makes me happy, mom,"

"I know, I know. I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did. You were a mistake, Selina."

[Oh, thanks. You guys are the best.]

The rest of the time they were silent. Selina didn't want to talk, she was mad, and sad. Outside, Jiro and Selina's dad were still talking. They were still standing at the stairway. [I wonder what they are talking about?]

Dinner was ready. Selina still wasn't talking to her parents. Jiro was still talking. They sat down. Jiro and Selina beside eachother. Her parents on the other side.

"Why didn't you take advantage of the empty house?" Her dad still asked.

"I am not that kind of boy, Mr. Ren,"

"Why not? I was. Every boy is. What's so different about you?"

Selina started eating her rice. She didn't want to hear their talk.

"I'm in love, and I don't want to ruin that."

Selina felt overwhelmed. Jiro is talking so deep it's scaring her. What happened to the Jiro she knew? Not that this Jiro wasn't nice. She felt important for the first time in years. She probably wasn't even important when she was born. She was a mistake, after all. Oh, and a girl.

"Mr. Ren, might I ask why you hate your daughter so much?"

"I DO NOT HATE HER, I'm doing what's best for her."

"To make her unhappy, to make her feel unimportant?"

"Why are you defending her? She could defend herself."

Selina couldn't resist. "It's not that I don't! You just keep on scolding me! You never do that with Ken, or Katie. Why always me!? Is it because I was a mistake?"

Her dad fell silent. His silent rage showing through his eyes. Selina felt furious too. Only the fact that Jiro was supporting her made her stop.

They ate in silence. Jiro looked mad, also. [Why was he mad? Was he mad because I came with him?]

After they finished, Selina stood up. "I can see I'm hated in my own family. I will excuse myself from your lives forever. Don't worry. Wait, you won't worry. You got other more important stuff. I'm sorry for being such a disgrace."

Selina felt tears ooze out of her eyes again. She couldn't help it again. She walked out of the door.

Jiro came after her. "Your parents don't hate you! If they do, I'll always be there to love you,"

"I really wanted them to be proud of me all these years. I went for sports, I studied hard, I tried piano. I learned languages. I was not happy. Not until I met you. Calvin was a jerk. He used me. Ray was a . She used me, too. They make a great couple." Selina chuckled through her tears.

"I won't let people hurt you anymore," Jiro whispered in her ears.