Pain

Worth the Pain

Hyuna pulled me roughly by the hair to the back of the school, the same place where Kai had asked me out. She let go of my hair and grabbed me by the shirt, pushing me harshly against the wall. Only then had I realized a group of guys had joined her gang as well.

“You think you’re gonna get away with being Kai’s girlfriend? I’ve chased all his past girlfriends off but you look like a fun one to handle,” she snarled. “I’ve decided I’m going to give up on that jerk. He’ll never like me and I’ll get my revenge. But I’ll make you pay for being in the spot I’ve always wished to be in.”

Hyuna slapped me hard on the cheek, leaving a red and stinging imprint.

“Hyuna,let me go!” I cried out, earning myself a punch in the stomach. I gasped for air at the sudden impact. One of her followers kicked my shin hard, causing my body to lose balance and fall down. I laid on the grass, weak and in pain. From then on, kicks and punches continued all over my body. Hyuna scratched my face with her long nails that were painfully sharp. The abuse had continued for half an hour. I shut my eyes tightly in pain as one of the guys landed the finishing blow to my stomach, causing me to lose my breath.

The group snickered proudly as they stepped back to admire their creation.

“That was fun wasn’t it?” Hyuna asked to the group behind her.

The group laughed in agreement.

“Then let’s have fun every day,” she suggested. “I’ve got a plan.”

Hyuna knelt down and grabbed my chin, forcing me to look up.

“Listen up . I know you like Kai and unless you want him to get hurt, you better come to this exact spot every day after school for our beating,” she threatened. “If you don’t, Kai will experience more pain than you. You know I have enough people on my side to win yours or even Kai’s,” she said, gesturing to the large group consisting of boys and girls behind her.

I didn’t know what to do, but I definitely wouldn’t want Kai to get hurt despite what he did to me before. I loved him too much. I’m not that important on this Earth anyway. The plain girl with few friends should be the one getting hurt instead of the popular and much-loved Kai, right?

I whimpered with a slight nod. Hyuna looked content with my answer, smiling as she released my chin.

“You better not tell anyone, or else you’ll risk yourself and Kai getting hurt and I can’t guarantee anything, got it?” she concluded, giving a last slap before standing up.

“Y-yes,” I stuttered, my vision getting blurred by my tears.

“Good girl,” she praised, walking away happily with her group as if nothing had happened.

I remained still on the ground, my body throbbing with pain from head to toe. Tears rolled down my cheeks uncontrollably as I bit my lip to avoid making noises. After a few minutes, I calmed down and attempted to pick myself off the ground. My body had dark bruises swelling all over and my stomach was in constant pain. With a few winces and much effort, I had gotten myself up and leaning against the cold wall. I had completely forgotten about class, not that it mattered now. My books were sprawled on the ground, ripped and covered in dirt. I made a mental note to pick it up the next day, since I was in too much pain to even bend down. I began to limp home, since there was no other suitable place to go in my current condition.

---

I opened the front door of my home, exhausted and aching. But I never expected what I saw. My dad was holding a suitcase, prepared to go somewhere I didn’t know.

“O-oh Minah, you’re home early,” my dad said, unable to hide his shock. “Oh my god, what happened to-“

“Where are you going?” I interrupted. “You never told me about this. Is it a business trip?”

“I’m sorry Minah. It’s not a business trip. I’m leaving this house. I’ve found someone I love” he replied guiltily.

‘Then…what about me? You’re not going to take me with you?”

“I’m sorry,” my dad muttered as he hurriedly brushed past me and out the door.

“What?” I whispered, unable to comprehend what was happening. But suddenly I was filled with anger and annoyance. My body was consumed with pain and my father was going to abandon me? I’ve had enough for the day. “FINE! RUN AWAY FROM EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IF THAT’S HOW YOU WANT TO DO THINGS. LEAVE YOUR DAUGHTER ALONE WITH NO MOTHER OR ANYONE TO RELY ON. I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN EITHER!” I screamed, with pretty much all my effort.

My lungs burned and tears refused to fall since my eyes were already dry from crying. I watched my dad drive off without a second glance at the daughter he had just abandoned.

My legs shook as I went to sit on a chair. Did my dad still think it was my fault that mum died? Is that why he doesn’t love me anymore?

I limped to my room, easing myself onto my old but comfortable bed. I crawled into a ball, wanting to escape from reality. I tried to force myself to sleep, but that was almost impossible. I sat up and opened my drawer, taking out a mirror and looking at my face. There were bruises spotted all over my face, visible scratches that had bled slightly from Hyuna’s nails and the side of my lips were purple and swollen. I took some antiseptic out and dabbed some on the cuts and scratches, squinting from the stinging pain. Leaning my head against the wall, I closed my eyes, hoping that I would just fall asleep and escape from everything.

But…What do I do now?