Apologies

Worth the Pain

Kai sat gloomily, almost unmoving with his shoulders hunched. He watched Minah’s face, urging her eyes to open. But they wouldn’t. She was resting in a hospital gown, cords strapped to her body and all sorts of medical equipment surrounded her. Kai gently grabbed one of her hands, embracing it with his warmth. ‘Please wake up. Please,’ he kept repeating in his head. It was almost reaching 10pm, but Kai had still not budged from his spot. A nurse earlier had tried to persuade him to leave and take a rest, but Kai knew he wouldn’t be able to fall asleep anyway. No tears had spilled for the past few hours, since everything had seemed too unreal. But now when they were both side by side, Minah unconscious and Kai with only a few injuries, reality had finally struck. Why was Minah the one to get hurt again? Kai’s eyes began to water. The dull silence and darkness made the atmosphere even more eerie.

“Minah.” Kai whispered. “Why don’t you wake up?” He shook her hand ever so slightly.

“I won’t let them hurt you. Don’t even think about it. Don’t ever sacrifice yourself for me ever again.”

The words he spoke not even a few weeks ago resounded through his head and he chuckled sadly.

“What type of boyfriend am I to get protect by his own girlfriend?” Kai murmured. “I’m useless. I haven’t even done anything for you except cause you pain and you’re already risking your life for me?”

Kai shook his head in disbelief, the guilt and depression washing over him.

Without moving and without any expression on his face, he continued holding her hand for the next few hours.

-

Kai groggily opened his eyes when he realised daylight was already streaming through the windows. He ended up falling asleep in a very uncomfortable position on the chair, but that didn’t matter to him. He rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock on the wall. 9:00 am. It was a Saturday so he didn’t need to go to school, but Kai wouldn’t have even if there was. Kai turned his attention back to Minah and sighed as she remained unconscious.  He stood up and a few strands of hair from her face, not as if they had moved from the night before. Giving one last glance as Minah, he walked out the door to get some water. He didn’t have the appetite to eat.

-

Carrying a tray of water back to Minah’s room, Kai noticed the door was slightly ajar, not how he left it when he left. He gave the door a slight nudge with his foot before being filled with anger at the sight. Hyuna jolted back in fright as she noticed Kai.

“K-Kai,” she stuttered, her expression fearful as she noticed the murderous look in his eyes. However his tiredness was evident with the dark circles and slightly red eyes.

“Hyuna,” Kai growled, pacing towards her with slow steps. “Why the are you here. Get out. You don’t deserve to be here.”

Hyuna inched back until she felt the monitor nudging her back. “Kai, I want to say sorry.”

“SORRY!?” Kai yelled, and Hyuna was afraid that the entire hospital might’ve heard him.

Kai took shaky breaths and quickly placed the tray on the table in case he accidently drops it from his rage. “Sorry is not enough. I hope you’re happy now that you’re seeing Minah in a coma in a hospital. All. Because. Of. You.”

Hyuna winced at the words thrown at her, but she knew she deserved them. She had never felt so guilty in her life.

“Is she going to be okay?” she asked hesitantly.

“Oh so now you’re worrying about her?” Kai continued taking steps towards her and Hyuna cowered knowing there was nowhere left to go. Grabbing her chin harshly, Kai tilted her face so she was looking at him directly in the eye. “You’ve gone too far this time. If I lose Minah because of you, I don’t know what I might do. So stay away from me.”

Hyuna shuddered and tears began to form in her eyes. Kai let go of her chin and took a seat angrily back into his chair, leaning his arms on his legs and looking down at the ground. He could hear Hyuna whimpering but he didn’t feel even the least bit of pity. Just then, the door opened again and Kai whipped his head to the side to see who it was. His jaw fell slightly as he watched the tall figure awkwardly enter the room. Kris had never felt more awkward. Hyuna was crying and Kai was watching him as if he couldn’t believe what he saw.

“U-um” Kris fidgeted with his fingers until he noticed Minah lying unconscious on the bed. “Is she-“

“And why the are you here?” Kai said menacingly. “Since when did you care?”

“I don’t know…I just felt like I should,” Kris muttered. “Maybe this was partly my fault because I was the one who dared you, you know?”

Kai’s expression faltered as he experienced a part of his former ‘friend’ he didn’t know of. He quickly looked away and by now Hyuna’s crying had softened to small sniffs.

“Don’t worry. Its not because of you,” Kai said. “But don’t get the wrong idea, we aren’t on good terms. You were the one who kicked me out remember.”

“O-oh and about that…” Kris said timidly. “I’m sorry for being such a . I know that was such a cheap move to pull just because you got a girlfriend. I think I just got a bit jealous, you know? A-and, you know how long we’ve been together. Even though it doesn’t seem like it, we’ve been a team ever since first year of middle school.”

The side of Kai’s lips twitched as he tried not to smile. He looked back up at Kris’s awkward face and couldn’t help bursting into a grin. Kai got up and pulled Kris into a bear hug.

“Its okay man, I forgive you.”

Kris was stunned at the sudden gesture but quickly returned his hug.

It had only been seconds until they separated and the door opened with a stream of boys entering the room. Kai grimaced at the sight and fought his urge to just punch each and every one of them senseless.

“Okay, what the actual , why are you all coming now?” Kai groaned.

The room was now pretty crowded with Kai, Kris, Hyuna and 5 other boys squeezing into the room, not to mention Minah’s bed.

“And also, how the hell are you guys just roaming freely like this. Didn’t the police like, I don’t know, give you a punishment?” Kai half-yelled, pointing at the guys.

“About that” Hyuna spoke up from the side, reminding everyone of her presence. “They said we would have to do 100 hours of community service. That they would let us go because we’re still young…”

Kai rolled his eyes in disbelief.

“I’m sorry!” Chanyeol yelled, urging the other guys to apologize too, pushing their heads down forcefully to make them bow. Each and every one of them shouted a ‘sorry’ as if giving a quiet and more sincere apology was too much for their remaining pride.

Kai had had enough of the apologies and no longer felt the urge to shout at them anymore. “Okay okay, just calm the down, we’re in a hospital.”

The boys quietened down and the room fell into silence. “You guys can go now,” Kai said, and most of them nodded quickly, eager to escape. The crowd began streaming out the door quickly, but not quick enough for Kai not to miss the concerned look Kris gave Hyuna as he followed her out the door. Kai grinned and wondered if a new romance would begin.

------------

A/N: wooahohoho r u guys thinking what im thinking!!?!? Kris coughcoughcoguh Hyuna WINKWINK

 

Hoped ya all liked this chappyyy