I didn't know

Worth the Pain

Kris looked away shyly. “Okay, you guys have caught me. I guess I do feel something towards Hyuna.”

The group of boys burst out with clapping.

“I knew it.”

“Who knew Kris of all people would fall in love.”

“Ask her out.”

“She probably likes you too.”

The boys each commented excitedly, all except for Kai. He continued resting his head on his hand with a big smirk on his face but he knew deep inside that he still felt resentment towards Hyuna. He liked the fact that Kris’s wall around his heart had been broken, but he was still unsure if Hyuna was the right one for him.

Kris laughed awkwardly with the others, but he noticed how Kai remained silent. He turned to look at him in slight concern.

“Kai…” Kris said, the chatter amongst the group dying quickly.

“Hm?”

“Are you okay with this?”

Kai lifted his head in surprise. “Kris. Did you really just ask that?” he said.

Kris stared at Kai in confusion before he felt a large smack towards the back of his head.

“Im so happy,” Baekhyun sighed, eyes glistening. “Kris, you’ve really changed.”

Kris glared at Baekhyun as he rubbed the back of his head, but he couldn’t bring himself to get angry at the puppy.

“Yeah, you have,” Sehun added blankly, although the sides of his lips were turned up ever so slightly.

Kai smiled widely, showing his white teeth. “Of course I’m fine with it you idiot,” he said happily.

Kris’ eyebrows furrowed as he noticed the bittersweet atmosphere.

“Ok guys, no need to be so mushy.”

Baekhyun threw his arms around Kris in a tight hug with a playful grin.

Everyone laughed before finally eating their now cold meal.

-----

Kai tossed his bag on his shoulder and slammed the locker shut. Thoughts of Minah had been lingering in his mind the entire day and now it was finally time to go see her. Although he knew she hadn’t woken up since the hospital had promised to call him if she had returned to her conscious state. Sighing, he turned around, only to be met with two slightly familiar faces.

“Hey,” Luhan said, looking at his feet as one of his hands fidgeted with his pants.

“Umm hey?” Kai said. “Do you need something?”

Luhan looked up and met Kai’s eyes. He nodded. Standing beside him was Eunji and Kai smiled as he noticed their hands clutching the others tightly.

“We want to go see Minah,” Eunji said eagerly although with a hint of worry.

“Yeah, you’re going to see her right?” Luhan added. “Sorry but we don’t know which hospital…”

Kai smiled. “Yeah, follow me.”

----

Kai entered the hospital room first with Luhan and Eunji closely behind. Their faces fell when the saw Minah lying unconsciously in bed.

“Oh my god, Minah” Eunji gasped as she went to kneel beside her bed although there was a chair placed beside it. She held Minah’s hands in hers and rubbed them gently. “You’re too kind for your own good.”

Luhan went and tugged Eunji gently so that she would sit on the chair. Then he bent down and grazed his hand over Minah’s forehead. Kai didn’t mind since he already knew about Luhan’s relationship with Eunji.

“How long?” Eunji asked.

“Its been around 12 hours,” Kai said sullenly.

Eunji nodded and there was a moment of silence.

“She’s liked you for so long,” Eunji began. “She would always steal glances at you in the cafeteria and she would squeal like a little girl.”

Kai laughed softly.

“We used to be so close, but we drifted apart. She always seemed so sad when I saw her and she would avoid me when I went to talk to her,” Eunji said with a sad smile. “I don’t know why.”

Kai’s mouth opened in shock when he realised Eunji didn’t know about Hyuna and her threats. He wanted to tell her but hesitated for a moment as he noticed Luhan was still in the room. He shrugged and came to a conclusion that Luhan deserved to know too.

“Well, you know,” Kai said cautiously. “There’s a lot of things you don’t know. She…she’s been hurting a lot.” He paused. “Because of me.”
 

Eunji turned around and looked at him in the eye. “What are you talking about?”

Kai heaved a sigh and began to explain.

 

 

Eunji sat frozen in her seat as she absorbed the information Kai had just given to her. Luhan remained shocked as well, finally understanding why Minah seemed to suffer so much and was in so much pain.

Kai shifted his feet guiltily.

“I’m sorry, It’s all my fault,” Kai said apologetically. “If I just hadn’t taken the dare then-“

“No” Eunji interrupted. “It’s not your fault.”

Kai opened his mouth to argue but closed it quickly.

“I should’ve been with her this entire time. I knew something was off but I didn’t try hard enough. If I did she would’ve opened up and I could’ve helped her and prevented this,” she croaked as tears began to blur her vision.

Luhan patted her shoulder comfortingly. “Shhh, no one is at fault.”

“Yeah, we all could’ve prevented this in some way,” Kai reassured. “Especially me.”

He whispered the last sentence quietly to himself.