His Smirk

Worth the Pain

“Minaaah!” I heard my friend shout eagerly from across the school canteen, holding her tray stuffed with food. She skipped towards my table with a grin plastered on her face. I hid my face in embarrassment, looking to the side, only to see Kim Jongin, my 3 year long crush. I watched him for a moment before I smiled blissfully, watching him look so effortlessly handsome, his bronzed skin highlighting his high cheekbones, those adorable eyes, those thick and plump lips…

“HEY!” Eunji yelled, slamming her tray onto her table. I yelped in surprise, looking at her distastefully. “Looking at him again?” she snickered, before taking a seat in front of me. “You know, maybe it’s time you give up. Remember that he’s one of the most popular guys in the school and he’s got tons of girls who’ve made him their prey.”

"You don't have to remind me,” I moaned, taking a large spoonful of rice. 

I know I’m not one of the most popular girls or the prettiest either, but my looks aren’t particularly the worst. I’ve got big eyes and small lips with naturally wavy brown hair. In fact, I’m pretty content with my looks though I'm not one to flaunter it. Eunji on the other hand was much more of a beauty. I’m sure if she took off those large nerdy glasses and actually brushed her hair in the morning, she would be attracting many boys. I look at her in jealousy as she stuffed with rice and soup.

“Is there something on my face?” she asked, puzzled.

“No, it’s nothing,” I sighed, placing my spoon down.

I sub-conciously turned to look at Kai again, only to find that he was looking at me, causing our eyes to look for several seconds. My heart skipped a beat as he smirked his signature smirk. I looked away, flustered. Was he looking at me? Did he just SMIRK at me?

“Umm, are you ok? Your cheeks look as if they’re burning,” Eunji chuckled.

“He looked at me,” I whispered, covering my cheeks with my hands.

“What!?” she whispered back in an exaggerated tone. “I can’t hear you!”

“Kim Jongin smirked at me! He looked at me! My life is complete! “I shrieked in happiness although careful enough to control my volume.

“Oh my god, really!? What if he likes you!?” Eunji exclaimed excitedly, also using a quiet voice but exagerated actions.

There was a moment of silence as I looked at her with my mouth wide open. But reality hit me when I realized it was literally impossible for such a popular guy like Kai to like me. He was probably looking at me because I looked weird or something. I groaned as I hide my face in my arms, trying to bury all my negative thoughts.

“Aww c’mon, don’t be so discouraged! There might be a chance you know!” Eunji insisted in an attempt to cheer me up.

“Yeah, more like 1 in a billion chance” I mumbled.

“Minah, why are you so upset in the first place? I mean, didn’t your crush just look at you and even smirk at you!?”Eunji reminded me thoughtfully.

I slowly raised my head and looked at how for a moment, her words processing inside my head. "I guess?" I said with a small grin. She grinned bashfully in return before hurrying back to her meal. I saw Kai from the corner of my eye. Is he looking at me again? Nah, stop being delusional.

---

I walked by myself to my locker, smiling to myself. Opening the rusty old school locker, I gathered my books for the next subject. History, great. I hear a bang next to me, only then realizing the herd of girls beside me, one with her leg propped up onto the locker.

“Hey ” Hyuna hissed threateningly. “I’m not sure if Kai was looking at you during break, but it’s pretty damn obvious after seeing you fangirling like an idiot. You better stay away from him or you’re dead. He’s MINE.”

Hyuna walked away triumphantly with her group of followers walking behind her. She’s pretty observant isn’t she? Who does she think she is calling Kai-oppa HERS? Kai doesn’t even have a girlfriend, or not that I know of. I mentally cursed as I slammed my locker door closed. My mood had completely hit rock bottom. Is it a sin to be happy after being noticed by your crush? I walked angrily to my class and roughly opened the door, only to be reminded that Hyuna was in the same history class. I groaned in annoyance,and took a seat farthest away from her gang. I heard them snicker and I swear they were looking at me. 

The teacher entered the room and silenced the class. The class was pretty quiet, since Mr Huang was known for being strict, as well as being able to do wushu. In the middle of the class, Mr Huang eyed Hyuna throughout the lesson and finally decided he had had enough.

“Hyuna, when did World War I start?” he asked.

“Erm, how would I know?” she replied in her y voice. She looked at me. “Why don’t you ask Minah instead? She wouldn’t know either!” Hyuna snapped.

“Well maybe you would know if you had been listening and not fidgeting with your irritatingly long nails,” Mr Huang retorted.

The whole class giggled as Hyuna looked at him in shock. He looked at me and smiled.

“Since Hyuna insisted, when did World War I start Minah? I’m guessing you wouldn’t know either?”

“I do!” I corrected. “It started on the 28th of June, 1914.”

“Great job,” Mr Huang praised. “You weren’t so right after all Hyuna.”

Hyuna glared at me. I’m sure I got onto her bad side. I glared back at her, attempting my most threatening glare. It didn’t work really, for her whole group was on her side.

 It was 7 vs 1.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Omggg sorry guys this was such a short chapter. No im not hating on hyuna, i just think she has the badass feel so i used her as the antagonist. And yes Minah is supposed tolook like IU haha

Hoped you enjoy <3

COMMENTS ARE MUCH APPRECIATED <3