Where are you?

Worth the Pain

Kai searched desperately for Minah who disappeared after yesterday’s incident. He had never seen such a pained expression on Minah’s face, the face that always seemed to be cheerful and expressed pure happiness. He had felt tremendous guilt after being unable to find the broken girl no matter how much he ran. Kai spent the night wide awake, with the image of Minah’s abused and tattered body appearing repeatedly in his mind. Minah, where are you? Kai pushed through the crowded corridors and looked for any hair, face, skin, anything that resembled Minah. The bell rang and he sighed in defeat, dragging his feet back to class. Damnit.

After the bell signalling the end of class rang, Kai sped out of the room and ran to Minah’s locker, knowing this was the only way to find her. But she still hadn’t appeared after waiting for 10 minutes and Kai slumped down tiredly.

“Kai?” the voice was unfamiliar and he looked up to see Eunji prepared to go home. “Are you sick? What’s wrong?”

Kai suddenly grinned, realizing who was currently talking to him, Minah’s best friend.

“No, it’s nothing. Do you know where Minah is?” Kai asked hopefully.

“Oh…” Eunji took a step back and cleared . “Sorry, I can’t help you there,” she muttered, looking at her feet with a troubled expression.

“What do you mean? Aren’t you like, her best friend?” Kai said with a hint of annoyance.

“I don’t know anymore…She’s become distant over the past month. She doesn’t even look at me,” Eunji whined, before taking a deep breath and looking at Kai. “I don’t know what business you’ve got with her but don’t hurt her, because she’s the type of person to do anything for the person she loves. I’ve noticed how weak she’s been looking ever since she began to go out with you, so you better keep an eye out and make sure she’s fine, because she definitely doesn’t look it.”

Kai looked Eunji in shock before he muttered a quiet “yeah, I will.”

Eunji looked content with the answer and took a few steps before pausing.

“I haven’t seen her at all today, so she’s probably not at school,” Eunji added and began to walk without looking back.

Kai watched her till she disappeared out of his sight before he rested his head on his knees. The corridors became awfully quiet, since most of the students had already left. I’ve noticed too, how Minah always looked exhausted from a distance. What’s going on?

At that moment, loud footsteps began to approach him and he raised his head only to see Luhan running in his direction.

“Aish, why did the teacher keep me in for sleeping in class?” Luhan muttered angrily under his breath. “Minah probably misses me.” Luhan broke into a grin at the thought of his note he left on the fridge. Has she read it yet?

Kai had heard Luhan say Minah very distinctively and instinct made him stick one of his legs out to hopefully trip Luhan. Unfortunately, Luhan was too focused on getting home and ended up not noticing the outstretched leg awaiting his fall.

“Ahhh,” Luhan shrieked as he toppled over.

There was a moment of silence while Luhan froze and adjusted to the situation. He whipped his head back accusingly.

“H-How could you?!” Luhan sniffled with large puppy eyes. “Oh…Kai.” Luhan’s face turned into a scowl.

Kai scoffed and looked away, unsure how to react to the sudden change of attitude after Luhan realized who he was.

“Why did you do that?” Luhan whined, getting up and dusting himself off.

Luhan glared at Kai before turning around, preparing to sprint off once again.

“Wait,” Kai muttered quickly.

Luhan turned around. “Hmm?”

 “Did you really think I would trip you for no reason?”

“Uhhh… Knowing you, yes?” Luhan replied with a frown.

Kai sighed deeply.

“What?” Luhan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

“Can you just tell me where Minah is? I heard you say her name just before.”

Luhan’s lips mouthed an ‘o’ shape.

“I think…we’re thinking of different Minah’s,” Luhan croaked. “HaHaHa,” Luhan laughed awkwardly, avoiding Kai’s gaze.

Luhan felt Kai’s glare burning into his head and he sensed his loss. Slowly, he turned his head back and looked at Kai’s flaming eyes.

“Oh reall-“ Kai said before he was interrupted.

“Ok, FINE! You caught me!” Luhan practically yelled. “But I’m not telling you where she is because I know, I mean, SENSE, you’re part of all this!”

Luhan pointed his finger accusingly while shaking his head side to side. Kai growled threateningly, causing the deer to jolt back in fright.

“Ahem, you can take care of this yourself!”Luhan bleated before running off.

Luhan wasn’t sure if what he said had made any sense, but he was proud that he had stood his ground against THE Kim Jongin. Luhan smiled and began to skip his way home, making sure to pick up Minah’s bag on the way.

Kai sat there, speechless, trying to comprehend what Luhan had just said. Damnit. What does he mean he senses I’m part of this. What the hell is THIS? What was he going on about? Aishh.

Now that Luhan was gone, Minah had the house to herself. Most of the day was spent looking around the house and playing with whatever she could put her hands on but she had realized it was time she had her much needed bath. She turned the taps on and waited patiently for the tub to fill up. Once it was done, she quickly lowered herself into the bath, raising her arms so that the bandages wouldn’t get wet. She didn’t know if the bandages had to stay on, so she decided to stay on the safe side and keep them on. The water soaked into her skin and she smiled in pleasure. This feels nice.

After getting out of the bath, Minah realized there was nothing to do. She realized that she desperately needed a change of clothes and she had also lost her bag. Aish, my wallet was in there too. Luckily, she remembered that her credit card was at home and she had hidden a secret key in case there were situations like these. Before she left, she opened the fridge and grinned, having a plan in mind.

Minah was at the supermarket looking for ingredients. Luhan had helped her so much and she had to repay him somehow. I’ll make him some kimchi jiigae (kimchi stew). Minah threw the ingredients she found in her trolley, those included kimchi, slices of pork belly, hot pepper paste, green onions and tofu, and headed to the counters.

“Hello, how are you?” the employee greeted happily.

“Good thanks,” Minah replied, glad she had changed and put on a jacket to hide the bandages.

“No school?” the attendant asked, giving Minah a suspicious glance as she continued to scan the items.

Minah stayed silent and searched desperately for an excuse.

“Uhh, I had an appointment today. There’s no point going back to school when there’s only an hour or so left right?” Minah explained, hoping it would do the trick.

The woman chuckled. “I guess so. 25,000 won please.”

Minah gladly gave the card, happy the woman seemed convinced.

“Thank you very much and have a good day,” the employee said, handing back the card.

“Thanks,” Minah muttered before taking the bags and heading out the door.

Minah hurried home and began to make the kimchi jiigae. She had made it many times for her dad and herself since it was cheap and easy, but it was a first to make it for someone other than her family. Minah found a pot in a cupboard and placed the ingredients she had chopped in it. She poured the water and waited for it to boil.

---

“Minah! Sorry I’m home late! What food do you want to order?!” Luhan shouted as he took off his shoes. The smell of kimchi wafted into his nostrils and Luhan began to sniff curiously as he walked towards the kitchen. His eyes set on the table neatly prepared with 2 bowls of rice and a pot of kimchi-jiigae. “Wow.”

“Oh Luhan you’re home! I was worried dinner was going to cool down.” Minah turned off the tv and got up from the sofa.

“What is this?” Luhan said, his eyes wide.

“What are you talking about? C’mon let’s eat,” Minah chuckled, taking a seat.

Luhan gradually took a seat, motions slow and wary.

“Did you make this?” Luhan asked.

“Yes, who else?” Minah said. “Try some.”

Luhan’s eyes began to tear up. He took the spoon and scooped at the stew. Luhan puffed his cheeks and blew on it a few times before having a taste.

“M-minah,” Luhan stuttered.

“Yeah?” Minah seemed uncertain. Did he not like it?

“It’s amazing!” Luhan squealed. “Thank you so much!”

Minah laughed and smiled as she watched Luhan stuff more into his mouth along with several scoops of rice.

“This tastes just like my mum’s!” Luhan exclaimed with his mouth half full.


Yay its a longer chapter to repay for chap 12 ^^

I had fun writing luhans bit, he's just so cuteeee ><

Sorry guys i dont really know when school ends in Korea but I searched and apparently it ends at 5.30. Soo... early dinner? hahah

This is what kimchi jiigae looks like.

Thanks for readinggg and please comment/subscribe