Where is he?

Life On The Line

Taeyeon hesitated, not sure if she should trust the man, but she knew that if she didn’t comply to this stranger, she could find herself in a very dangerous situation, so she just nodded and followed the man to the door. They stepped in to a dark room, the only light coming out from computer screens and a lamp placed on a dark-colored desk. Her concentration on the atmosphere was interrupted by the voice of a man she could remember but could not recognize. “Taeyeon-ah, nice to see you again.”

The voice came in the direction of the desk and as Taeyeon stepped closer, she could see a figure sitting by the desk. Once her eyes adjusted, the dim lighting of the lamp let her recognize the features of the man. “Howon?” She asked, in complete and utter surprise. Her eyebrows furrowed with confusion and she almost felt all of her brain cells explode as she tried to understand the situation. Her confusion made sense. Lee Howon: her best friend, her ex-boyfriend, almost fiancé. They dated for three years before Taeyeon met Chanhee and left Howon to be with him. The breakup was brutal, one in which Howon had fallen to his knees and had begged her to stay, one where he didn’t recover with any ease, yet they continued to be best friends with no feelings attached to each other at all… or so Taeyeon naively thought. “How’s your husband? I haven’t heard from either of you in a while. Well I heard from your husband…” He said while smirking, signaling to the guards to turn on the lights.

Taeyeon then squinted her eyes, trying to adjust to the new brightness. The light brought on important reasons for Taeyeon to feel scared and alarmed for her husband and for herself. The white walls of the room were painted with blood splatters, and they looked to be produced more from violent beatings than clean kills with a gun. Her eyes scanned the room, paying special attention to the blood splatters that seemed to be newer, but none seemed to be very recent. This alleviated her a little, but only for a short time. “You didn’t answer my question Taeyeon…. how’s your husband?” Howon asked, a tone of annoyance with his question. “I don’t know, that’s why I’m here…. You seem to know something about this though.” She said with an irritated expression, her eyes slowly squinting again, this time to form a glare. “Where is he Howon? What the is going on?” Then the male stepped towards her, chuckling. “One question at a time. Still as curious as always.” He said.

"To start this off, let’s say you guys were led to kill the wrong guy. I looked at your husband’s folder, wow they messed up big time."  He then looked at her, smiling with amusement. "The one you have to kill is me. I’m your boss’s biggest enemy, isn’t this hilariously ironic?" He then laughed heartily, making Taeyeon raise an eyebrow at him. "I fail to see what’s funny about this." And it wasn’t funny to her at all. She was obviously sad, conflicted, and she felt all of these emotions surfacing. The first obvious ones were fear and concern for the person occupying her mind the most. The second was annoyance; she couldn’t understand how Howon was taking this lightly, how he was being such a cocky , and why he wasn’t telling her where Chanhee was. The third was sadness. The fact that she has to kill her best friend, someone whom she loved and had great memories with definitely destroyed her. But that feeling was buried deep inside and she truly wanted to punch him and get things over with, but he was the only one who could give her the answers and location to her husband. She chose to act nonchalant, just for safety, as well as chose to remain quiet.

"Now in regards of your husband. He’s within my… custody. It was great to see him be the one break in. If he’s my enemy I can finally avenge all the wrongs he’s done to me without actually looking for an excuse. It was fun getting my guards to hurt him, I hope you won’t mind." And as Taeyeon was about to speak and protest, the sound of metal doors opening and the grunts that she quickly recognized as her husband’s distracted her. Her eyes landed right onto her husband, whom was being dragged in two of the guard’s arms. She then noticed the pool of blood left behind him, causing her to quickly run towards him in total and complete alarm, but as soon as Howon noticed, he ordered the guards to restrain her. "No, Taeyeon. If you want him to live…. You’ll leave him and stay with me, like it should be and should have been from the start." Howon then took out a pistol from his back pocket and pointed it at Chanhee’s forehead, whom was already tied to a metal pole in the room.

Without much hesitation, Taeyeon looked at Chanhee and then back at Howon. She would do anything, even risk her own happiness for the sake of her husband’s life and his own happiness. That’s all she wanted anyways, for him to be alive and well. “Fine.” She simply said, not wanting to look back at Chanhee as her own heart felt a strong painful tugging she didn’t welcome.