Typical Day

Life On The Line

With his eyes on the TV and a controller on his hands, Chanhee was far too into his video game to even notice what was happening to his surroundings.

A folder than fell on his lap, making his thumb move the stick and making him an open target to the enemy. A bunch of buff men with bats came rushing towards his character and started beating him to death. Chanhee blinked and stared at the TV long enough for the words “Game Over” to pop up.

He turned his head to find a female with dark brownish hair with pretty features and her arms crossed on her chest. “What was that for? You made me an open target!” Chanhee exclaimed. The female rolled her eyes and shook her head slightly. “You can’t just sit around, playing video games all day.” Taeyeon said in a matter of fact tone. “We have work to do.”

The male sighed as he looked at the folder and resumed playing despite the older’s words. “Didn’t we just murder three people last week?” Taeyeon sat beside him. “He should really know what the meaning of ‘a break’ means.” Chanhee continued as he made his character hide behind a trash can. “You know how boss is Chanhee. There’s no such thing as a break” Taeyeon said as she got the folder off his lap and opened it.

Another sigh left him as he paused his game and looked over the contents of the folder. ”Who are we killing this time?” He asked, defeated. “Some guy with a foreign last name” Taeyeon said as she passed a picture of an Irish man. Chanhee looked at Taeyeon, raising an eyebrow. “We’re killing foreigners now?” He asked. A sigh left the female’s lips as she looked through the general information of their next victim. “I guess…” she shifted her eyes to Chanhee. “What can we do about it?” She asked, with a sad tone on her voice a bit. “Nothing…” Chanhee mumbled to himself and looked back at Taeyeon. “So what’s the game plan?”

The female looked through the folder again, as usual, reading all of the notes and requirements left by the boss. Her eyes were glued to the paper as she thought, noticing a few altercations from the usual. “Well this is different… He said this is a very special case, that we would need more than a week to finish it but he needs this guy dead by a month.” Knowing he’d like to take a look at the papers, she extended the folder towards him.

"I wonder why he needs the both of us to kill just one man, shouldn’t he have called one of the others?" He spoke while looking through the papers. "And why do we need more time? This guy must be really dangerous." Taeyeon shrugged, trying not to think too much about the guy and just focusing on the strategy. "Probably is, but never mind that. Apparently he lives in the capital, Dublin. There’s a picture of his place there. It’s a large city though… we’re going to need a lot of help to locate him."

"Are you sure it’s in the city? The picture shows a lot of trees and just green everywhere." He looked up at her, nonchalant though confused. "Maybe it’s the outskirts of the city…? I don’t know anything about Ireland." She sighed. "I don’t think there’s much we can do except maybe study the map of Ireland or Dublin, make sure we have a translator or a dictionary or something for now. And then… we’ll go from there."

It felt strange for Taeyeon to say something like that; she was usually all about the planning. After all, when their lives are at risk, doing things without a plan sounded absolutely insane to her, but it was once of those moments where she saw nothing else they could do. And Chanhee could notice her discomfort. After she spoke those words, he looked at her for a few seconds in silence, trying to think of any other solution but coming up with nothing. With a breath, he spoke.

"Alright. Sounds good to me. When do we start?"
"Tomorrow."