Chapter 21

Prove It

“Do you have the room key?” asked Chanyeol, grabbing his wallet from the table.

 

“Yeah, I got it.” replied Baekhyun, who was waiting by the door.

 

“Alright. Let’s go!”  

 

The two boys decided to get a late lunch at a restaurant that Chanyeol had been talking about the night before, saying that a family friend of his parents own it. Chanyeol had said it’s a small place, but the food was fantastic. Also, the boy felt that he should drop in to say hi since he’s in the area.

 

Putting a hand on Baekhyun’s waist as they stepped onto the bus, Chanyeol led them to two seats near the back. They would only need to ride for about two stops, but taking the bus would save them some time.

 

Looking up the boy next to him, Baekhyun suddenly felt uneasy…

 

Last night after he and Chanyeol had gotten back from the pool, Baekhyun could feel himself beginning to worry. He hates himself for feeling this way, but Baekhyun is starting to doubt Chanyeol’s feelings since the boy hasn’t said much about them. ‘Does Chanyeol even like me, or is this relationship out of pity simply because he realized I liked him?’ thought Baekhyun, unable to stop the depressing thoughts from arising.

 

“Hey, Baek…you okay?” asked Chanyeol, noticing the boy’s somber expression and pulling him a bit closer.

 

“Yeah. I’m just hungry.” replied Baekhyun, not meeting Chanyeol’s eyes.

 

“Okay. Well, we’ll be there soon.”

 

Baekhyun just nodded in response and tried to lift his spirits. He didn’t want to worry Chanyeol any more during their lunch so he told himself to put on a smile and stop stressing. ‘I really hope I’m just overthinking this…’ thought Baekhyun.

 

When they arrived at the restaurant, a woman who looked to be in her early forties was there to greet the two boys.

 

“Chanyeol? This is such a surprise!” exclaimed the woman, coming over to give the boy a hug.

 

“Hi, Seohee.” greeted Chanyeol, returning the sweet hug.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I just thought I would drop by since I’m staying at my uncle’s hotel a few blocks down. Oh, and this is Baekhyun.” said Chanyeol, putting an arm over the smaller boys shoulder.

 

“Nice to meet you.” greeted Baekhyun, giving a slight bow, not missing the fact that Chanyeol had introduced him as just Baekhyun…

 

“Ah! I forgot he manages that place. And it’s nice to meet you too, Baekhyun.” said Seohee, smiling at the smaller boy before grabbing a couple menu’s and leading them to an empty table.

 

“A waitress will be with you soon. Enjoy you’re meals!”

 

“Thank you.” said both Chanyeol and Baekhyun, getting comfortable in their seats.

 

“She’s really nice.” said Baekhyun, glancing in her direction as she walked away.

 

“Yeah, she is. She’s really like a second mother to me. I mean, I’ve known her for most of my life.”

 

“That’s sweet.” said Baekhyun, honestly happy that Chanyeol has someone like that in his life.

 

Chanyeol smiled in response before scanning the menu and listing Baekhyun his recommendations.

 

“They have really good bibimbap. And their jjajangmyeon is pretty good too.” said Chanyeol before glancing over to the boy.

 

“I’ll just get whatever you have.” said Baekhyun. He’ll always trust Chanyeol’s opinion on food.

 

“Yeah? Then how about we split some bibimbap and a side of kimchi…”

 

“Sounds good.”

 

After placing their orders, the two boys’ began some mindless chatting.

 

“I don’t wanna go back to the University…” said Baekhyun, chin resting on his palm.

 

“Me neither. I like this mini vacation. Mainly because I get to spend it with you.” replied Chanyeol, cocking his head to side while giving the smaller boy a smirk.

 

Blushing out of habit from Chanyeol’s flirtatious smirk, Baekhyun opened his mouth to respond, but was interrupted by a voice he didn’t recognize.

 

“Chanyeol! Is that really you?”

 

Breaking his gaze from Baekhyun, Chanyeol looked up to see a girl with smooth, shoulder length hair.

 

“Jihae?”

 

“Yeah! Oh my God, I haven’t seen you in forever!” said Jihae, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear.

 

“I know. I barely recognized you since you cut your hair. How have you been?”

 

“I’ve been great. School is going well, too. Oh! Who’s this?” 

 

Mentally slapping himself for forgetting to introduce Baekhyun, Chanyeol immediately apologized before introducing the two.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Baekhyun. Seohee’s my mom, so I’m just an old friend of Chanyeol’s.” said the girl, smiling all the while.

 

“Oh. So you two must be pretty close…” said Baekhyun, doing his best to hide his jealousy.

 

‘They’re just old friends. There’s nothing to be jealous of…’ thought Baekhyun, trying to ignore the way Jihae looked at Chanyeol as if she was in love with him.

 

“Well, I do know a lot about him. Like how his favorite dessert is patbingsoo, or how he got sent to the principles office in 3rd grade for stealing kisses from all the girls, or—”

 

“Yah! That’s enough, Jihae…” said Chanyeol, feeling himself begin to blush out of embarrassment.

 

“He was quite the playboy in elementary school.” teased Jihae while poking Chanyeol’s shoulder.

 

“Yeah…whatever.” replied Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun just sat there and watched the two. There was nothing really suspicious going on, but he couldn’t help but think otherwise. He knew Chanyeol wasn’t gay, having to play nice with his four-month girlfriend he had senior year and man, was that tough.

 

That’s another thing that worries Baekhyun: the fact that Chanyeol isn’t gay… ‘Does Luhan ever get nervous like this with Sehun? Isn’t he afraid of all the pretty girls who obsess over his boyfriend? No, probably not. Sehun loves him.’ thought Baekhyun, hating himself for being jealous of Luhan and Sehun’s relationship.

 

“Well I’m heading out to meet some friends, but I’ll see you around. Oh! And Chanyeol, you better make sure to text me so we can get together some time.”

 

“Yeah, don’t worry. I’ll keep in touch.” said Chanyeol, waving at the girl as she turned around to make her way outside.

 

Their food had arrived right at she passed through the front door and a slightly uncomfortable silence fell upon the boy’s as they divided their lunch.

 

Noticing Baekhyun’s quiet behavior, Chanyeol bit his lip and glanced at the boy in front of him. ‘What’s up with you, Baek…’ thought Chanyeol, taking a sip of drink as he watched the boy.

 

“What do you feel like doing after this?” asked Chanyeol, in an attempt to get Baekhyun talking.

 

“Whatever you wanna do.”

 

Pursing his lips at Baekhyun’s response, Chanyeol became determined to find out what’s wrong.

 

After finishing their lunch, the boy’s bid their goodbyes to Seohee and began their short walk to the bus stop. As they were approaching the bench to wait for the bus, Chanyeol had held Baekhyun’s hand and continued walking past it.

 

“Chanyeol! The bus will be here soon. Where are we going?” asked Baekhyun, confused as to where Chanyeol was taking them.

 

“Let’s walk…”

 

“Why?”

 

“I feel like it.” said Chanyeol, looking straight ahead. Giving the taller boy one last look, Baekhyun decided to ignore Chanyeol’s sudden behavior and just go along with it.

 

While passing through a fairly busy side street, Chanyeol gripped Baekhyun’s hand a bit tighter. “What’s going on with you today?”

 

Surprised that Chanyeol had noticed, Baekhyun looked up at him with wide eyes.

 

“Huh? What do you mean…” said Baekhyun, afraid to let Chanyeol discover his worries.

 

“You seem sad…you’ve been like this all day. Want to tell me what’s wrong?”

 

“I-I’m not sad. There’s nothing wrong.”

 

“Baek. I’m not stupid. Please tell me what’s going on.” said Chanyeol, looking at Baekhyun with a hint of desperation.

 

Seeing the way Chanyeol looked at him made Baekhyun’s heart ache. The boy looked so concerned that it actually hurt to look at him.

 

Taking a deep breath, Baekhyun gathered his courage and asked, “Do you like me?”

 

Not quite understanding what the smaller boy meant, Chanyeol raised his brows in confusion, “What?”

 

“Do you like me?” repeated Baekhyun.

 

“Of course I like you…Baekhyun, I don’t get it. Why are you asking me this?”

 

“I’m worried.”

 

“About what?”

 

Pulling Chanyeol down a quiet alley, Baekhyun decided to let it all out.

 

“We never really talk. We’ve never had a serious conversation about us and that worries me. And yeah, we kiss and fool around a bit, but that’s it. I’m not saying that I only want from you, it’s just…this doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. I know that I’m the first guy you’ve been with, but it’s the same deal for me. I really like you Chanyeol, and I was thrilled when I found out you had mutual feelings, but now I’m starting to doubt that.” said Baekhyun, feeling his eyes begin to water.

 

At a loss for words, Chanyeol just stood there gaping at the boy in front of him. He had no idea what to say. What Baekhyun said about them never really talking was true, but he should understand that Chanyeol’s still pretty new at this. He isn't used to sharing his romantic feelings with Baekhyun, so he sort of ignored that part of their relationship. Aslo, the one girlfriend he had didn’t last very long, and she was the one who broke up with him. Chanyeol does like Baekhyun, so he doesn’t want to mess this up.

 

“Baekhyun, I—”

 

“I’m not done. I’m scared that you’re only with me out of pity and I—” started Baekhyun, but was interrupted with a shove that had him pinned to the side of the building.

 

“Baekhyun! I do like you. I like you a lot…” began Chanyeol, holding the smaller boy in place, “I always thought you were cute, but it was only after I caught you blushing when I began to question my feelings. I had always assumed I was straight, but every time I caught you glancing at me with that shy smile of yours, I could feel myself finding you more and more attractive. It took me a while to get used to these new feelings, but once I accepted it, I was happy. I’ve liked you for a while, Baek.”

 

Staring back at the boy who had him pinned against the wall, Baekhyun did his best to hold back the tears.

 

“Why couldn’t you have just told me this…” asked Baekhyun, feeling slightly embarrassed from his previous rant.

 

“I wasn’t thinking about it. And in my head, I thought you knew. I promise to be more honest with you, Baek. I’m sorry for making you worry.” said Chanyeol, slowly inching closer to Baekhyun.

 

Lifting Baekhyun’s chin just an inch, Chanyeol caught his lips in a chaste kiss, pulling the smaller boy closer. Baekhyun melted into the kiss, feeling lightheaded and fuzzy. It was perfect. Chanyeol was perfect, and he feels like an idiot for doubting him.

 

When Chanyeol finally pulled away, the two boys were left breathless.

 

“We should probably head back.” said Chanyeol, resting his hands on Baekhyun’s waist.

 

“Y-yeah…”

 

“And who knows, maybe there’s a surprise waiting for you back in the room.”

 

Blushing in response, Baekhyun wrapped his arms around the taller boys neck and pulled Chanyeol down for anther heated kiss, hoping that this surprise involves the two of them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: awww baekyeol :) so cute! i'll be updating again pretty soon so be patient...and again, leave your comments!