A Surprise Guest

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

On the drive back to her apartment that evening, he thought about how he had left. He wished he hadn’t rushed out the way he did, but he was happy he’d had the time away. He had spoken with his mother earlier and had voiced his concerns about everything – about this new relationship, about the reality drama. She was warm, as always, and told him to follow his heart. She said that a man can never go wrong if he follows his heart.

Later, he had gone to the gym and worked out. He hadn’t exercised in days and his body felt it. He tried to push out all of his frustrations with every press and curl, tried to clear his mind. And after taking a shower, which was the only moment that day that he hadn’t been filmed, he felt better. He thought again about what she had said when they first met: I thought that I would just see what happens. Let fate decide. He decided that he would do the same. Just see what happens. Let fate decide.

When she opened the door, he almost didn’t recognize her. She stepped back to let him in, but he stayed there in the doorway, staring at her. He had found her pretty before, but she hadn’t worn much makeup in their time together and her hair had been down and natural. But now, her hair was pinned up in curls and her face was flawless. Her complexion was clear, her lips were colored pink, and her eyes were lined with soft colors, the lashes thick. “You look beautiful,” he said.

“Thank you,” she said, and leaned in to kiss him.

He kissed her back, but only briefly. He was suddenly wary of these private moments on film and felt embarrassed then as he remembered their long kiss at the waterfall.

She was wearing the outfit that she had worn when they first met, the long white shirt, the jeans. She told him that Ji Na had taken her measurements today. “She said they’re going to order clothes for me.” She laughed and added, “And she said I should lose weight. I tried telling her that I’m a good weight for my frame, but she just kept saying I was too big. I know I’m not skinny, but I like the way I look. I don’t want to change.”

Before he could say anything, she grabbed his hand and began giving him a tour of the apartment. She was excited about everything, and he was happy that she was happy. She showed him the small but fully stocked kitchen. And she showed him the bedroom and the flat screen TV on the wall. “Look,” she said, pointing to the DVD player. “They gave me all of these American movies.” She picked up one of the DVDs, Titanic. “I guess they must think I like romance movies,” she said.

“You don’t?”

“Not really. I like horror movies.”

“Oh, I don’t like horror movies.”

She stepped back and let go of his hand. “Jong Kook ssi. If that’s the case, I don’t think we can be together.” She tried to act serious for a moment but then started laughing. “Oh, and look at this.” She walked around the bed and reached up to open a hatch. She straightened the stairs that unfolded out and nodded toward her VJ. “Jae Won ssi said that this is called a bokcheung. There’s nothing up there yet, but I think if I can turn it into a cozy space, it might be a good place to escape from the cameras sometimes.”

He told her of his shower at the gym, and how nice it was to have that moment to himself.

She smiled and said, “I think I’ll be taking lots of showers, then.” She glanced at the crew surrounding them. “No offense to any of you,” she said.

Jong Kook saw some of the cameramen smile when she said that and he realized then how large her personality was. She seemed to be a natural entertainer.

As they drove to Kwang Soo’s apartment, he realized that he had not called to tell him that he would be bringing the American, not to mention the small production crew following them. He tried phoning Kwang Soo but the call went straight to voicemail. He wasn’t too worried, though. It was going to be a small party, just Kwang Soo and Haha. And now that Jae Won would be with them, he would have another translator to help keep her in the conversation.

When they arrived at Kwang Soo’s apartment, Haha opened the door and reached forward to hug Jong Kook. As he did, he noticed the American by Jong Kook’s side and the camera crew around them. He looked at Jong Kook and asked if this was part of that show that Jong Kook had mentioned a week or so earlier. Jong Kook nodded and introduced the American. He didn’t tell him of their relationship, only that she didn’t speak Korean and that he and her VJ, Jae Won, would help translate. Haha seemed confused but brushed the situation off with a laugh and let them in.

As they took off their shoes in the entryway, Kwang Soo ran up to Jong Kook. Just as he had before, Jong Kook introduced the American and the need for translation. “Okay,” Kwang Soo said. Like Haha, Kwang Soo looked confused at first but then smiled and led him inside. As the group made their way toward the living room, Jong Kook saw a young woman sitting alone on the couc

Please log in to read the full chapter