Photo Shoot

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

As soon as they arrived, they were met by the creative team hired by SBS for the photo shoot. The wardrobe stylist was the first to rush over to them. As Jong Kook and Jennifer walked in, she stretched out her measuring tape across and around their bodies and yelled the numbers over to the fashion director, who then double-checked the measurements against what was listed in their files. And then they were greeted by the two makeup artists, who confirmed that they both had clean and bare faces, and then the two hair stylists who asked when they last washed their hair. Jong Kook could see how nervous Jennifer was, and so he grabbed her hand, assured her that she would have fun, and led her over to where the photographer and director were standing.

The director spoke English, which seemed to settle Jennifer’s nerves. Knowing that this was her first photo shoot, he told her what to expect. Ahead of them, in the middle of the open space, was a small stage that they had set up. He pointed to the crew working on the first set and said, “We have two things we will try today. They’re getting the first one ready now, very simple backdrop. I will tell you what to do,” he said. “I say smile, you smile. I say turn this way or turn that way, you do that. Okay? You just have fun.”

Jennifer nodded. “Okay,” she said, smiling.

The director then pointed to the two privacy screens, one on each side of the room, where they would change between sets. Jong Kook let go of her hand. “I’ll see you in a little while,” he said, joining the wardrobe stylist near his screen on the far side of the room. He glanced back at Jennifer and saw the makeup artist already working to touch up her face while she walked to her side.

Jong Kook undressed behind the screen and changed into the clothes they had given him. As soon as he pulled the shirt on – a white t-shirt with the South Korean flag pictured on the front – the hair stylist combed and sprayed his hair while the makeup artist covered his blemishes and powdered his face. He was ready before Jennifer was and so he chatted with the photographer and director while he waited. Her privacy screen blocked his view of her, but he could see her hair stylist ru

Please log in to read the full chapter