Jejudo (Part 1)

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

The camera crew met them at the airport before their flight that morning. Their normal crew, when they were not being taped by the mounted cameras inside the apartment or car, consisted of four cameramen and a boom operator. But because this was the finale, the producers had brought on two extra cameramen and a production assistant.

When Jong Kook, Jennifer, and the eight crew members arrived in Jejudo, Jong Kook realized that he had forgotten to arrange for a driver to pick them up. But the producers had already thought about that and had rented a white two-seater convertible sports car for them.

The car was parked just outside the doors, near the crew van. And after Jong Kook confirmed that it was indeed their car, he opened the passenger side door for Jennifer to sit. She bowed sweetly to him and sat down, and then she leaned over and opened the driver side door for him. He returned the sweet bow and kissed her. “You ready?” he asked.

She nodded, and as he drove off, she leaned back in her seat, letting the wind hit her face. He took a scenic road through the middle of the island heading south, which took them up Mt. Hallasan, the highest mountain in South Korea. Along the way, they drove a long stretch of road where the green trees on both sides arched together at the top and blocked the sky, like a tunnel. She kissed him as they passed underneath this lush canopy and then rested her head against his shoulder.

When they neared the hotel, Jennifer held her hand over . “Jagiya,” she said. “This is too much.” He drove up the entranceway, the road lined with columns and greenery leading to what Jennifer said looked like a castle ahead. Jong Kook smiled and parked underneath the golden overhang outside the entrance. The crew van pulled up behind them.

They were immediately greeted by Park Byung Joon’s two assistants whom Jong Kook had met a few days before. The assistants introduced themselves to Jennifer and then had the bellhop take their luggage up to their suite. As Jong Kook, Jennifer, and the crew followed the assistants inside, she whispered in his ear. “I feel like we’re on a honeymoon,” she said. He smiled and held her hand.

Park Byung Joon met them in the lobby and gave them a quick tour of the hotel, pointing out the different restaurants inside and then escorting them to the pool out back, which flowed around tall rocks and palm trees, like an island oasis. Jennifer tugged at Jong Kook’s hand, excited.

He showed them to their suite after and left his business card with them should they need anything. When he left, Jong Kook unlocked the door and held it open for Jennifer. She ventured in slowly, seeing the beautiful ivory and gold décor and stopping in the center of it, her hand over again as she turned toward him. “This is too beautiful,” she whispered. She ran up and kissed him as the cameramen circled around them.

Jong Kook asked if she wanted to sit on the sofa and drink some champagne. She looked at the bottle for a moment and then quickly shook her head. “Let’s go swimming,” she said.

Mindful of the cameras, they changed in separate rooms, and when he saw her emerge from the bedroom in that white bikini, he couldn’t take his eyes off her. “Jong Kookie,” she said. “There are these beautiful cherry blossom arrangements on the end tables. Come look.” He pretended to be surprised and followed her into the bedroom. “Did you plan this?” she asked, smiling and looking at him suspiciously.

He shrugged and smiled, and then began sorting through her suitcase, finding a wraparound skirt for her to wear over her bathing suit. After she pu

Please log in to read the full chapter