Chasing the Flower

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

The next morning, Jong Kook told her that he had meetings that day and would return sometime later. He felt bad about lying to her but he needed some time away to check his schedule and see how he could arrange for a trip to Jejudo before the filming ended in a week and a half. As he was thinking about this, the producers called him. They also wanted to know what his plans were in regard to the proposal, and asked if he would be willing to work with them on the details. You can choose where and how, they said, but they would like to choose when: Wednesday, June 17, the last day of filming. A nice way to end the show, they said.

Things were slowly falling into place, and he was excited. It was Saturday, June 6. He had about ten days to plan the perfect proposal. He called his manager, and while Gap Jin worked on booking the flight and hotel in Jejudo, Jong Kook considered the little things he would need to do to make his proposal special. He thought back on their time together and remembered the particular flower that had brought them together that first day, and decided that he would order a bunch of those flowers and arrange for them to be delivered directly to their hotel room in Jejudo on the 17th.

He spent the rest of that morning on the phone to every florist in the area to try to find the flower that he had bought Jennifer on the day they met. He didn’t know the name of it, only that it was white with purple ends and that it promised love to the girl who twirled it under a dark sky just before it poured. He was embarrassed with each call, having to explain that story over and over again and having to hear their questions and confusion every time. None of them had ever heard of such a flower.

He tried searching online, using different key words and growing frustrated when not one image was of the flower he had bought her. He looked at the cameramen around him and asked if they had any suggestions, but they just shrugged and continued filming. And then he remembered that she had framed the flower along with the cherry blossoms to give to him on his birthday.

When he arrived home, he retrieved the frame from the end table and sat on his bed, staring at the flower. He was confident now that he would be able to have an arrangement ordered and delivered in time for his proposal. But this meant that he would have to go to these shops in person.

But then he thought of someone who would do that for him. He quickly pulled out his phone and called his manager again, telling him that he had another favor to ask.

Jong Kook drove to every flower shop in Anyang, and even ventured into Seoul, staying in the car each time as Gap Jin made his way from shop to shop, carrying that frame. It was amusing to Jong Kook at first, seeing his poor manager get out of the car and walk into these shops, knowing that he was showing them the frame and telling them the story of the flower to see if any of them knew its name.  But after a while, when Gap Jin continued to return to the car with the same news every time – that they couldn’t order a flower they never heard of – Jong Kook started to get mad. How does this flower not exist? He didn’t understand. It made him so crazy that he even considered trying to contact a flower expert – a botanist, maybe, or a horticulturist.

But when he looked at the time and realized that he had spent all day in this search, he gave up. He was angry that he had wasted all that time, and felt even worse when he realized that he had not called Jennifer once that whole day. When Gap Jin returned to the ca

Please log in to read the full chapter