Ulleungdo

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jong Kook and Jennifer sat in the back of the limo with Jae Won filming them from a side seat and the rest of the camera crew following in a van behind them. The driver led them out of Anyang, heading east to the coastal city of Donghae, where they would then catch the ferry from Mukho Harbor to Ulleungdo, a small island seventy-five miles from the mainland. Jong Kook worked with Gap Jin during the first twenty minutes of the drive to make the travel arrangements. Normally, the ferry and hotel would need to be booked early, but because it was a weekday, they’d had no problem making last-minute reservations.

When everything was set, Jong Kook slid the phone back into his pocket and apologized to Jennifer for taking so long with Gap Jin. But she didn’t hear him. She had been staring out the window, lost in her thoughts.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Hmm?” She turned to him. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I wasn’t listening.”

“I only said that I’m sorry for taking so long on the phone. I promise, starting now, to devote every minute to you only.”

“It’s okay,” she said, smiling. She rested her head on his chest and he put his arm around her.

The drive to Donghae City was just over three hours. She didn’t talk much during the ride at first and he wondered if she was okay. But when they were about halfway there, she suddenly looked up at him and said that she loved him.

“Nado saranghae,” he said back. They kissed and she returned her head to his chest, her arm around his waist, and he felt better about the trip then, thinking that she was probably just a little tired.

When they finally arrived, they had only a few minutes before the ferry would depart, and so they quickly ran from the car, the camera crew struggling to keep up. As the salty wind hit their faces, he saw that she seemed to be her normal self again, laughing with him while they ran and daring him to race her to the boat.

They soon boarded the ferry and Jennifer commented on its size. Jong Kook nodded and told her that it could probably fit a thousand people. It was somewhat crowded inside, and their camera crew had drawn the attention of the people around them, mostly the older women, all of whom were fans of Jong Kook. He smiled and took pictures with each of them, and they asked him about the foreigner sitting next to him, the only non-Korean on that crowded ferry. Jong Kook introduced her as his girlfriend, and they smiled then and greeted her. They told Jong Kook that she was very beautiful, which he then translated for Jennifer. She blushed and thanked them.

The ferry ride was two and a half hours long, and they were anxious to depart when it arrived at the port of Dodong on Ulleungdo. Jong Kook had booked the nicest room at a resort hotel, with windows that allowed for a clear view of the ocean. He knew that they had only a few moments alone in that room while the cameramen checked into their respective rooms down the hall, and so he quickly took Jennifer into his arms and kissed her, telling her how much he loved her and how he c

Please log in to read the full chapter