A Talk between Girls

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

Min Ji Na came over shortly after Jong Kook left that morning. He had gone home to pack a few things for the trip and said that he’d be back in a half hour. When Jennifer told Ji Na that she needed to be ready in thirty minutes, Ji Na pouted. “Wae,” she said. “You should have called me.” She sat down beside her on the couch and opened her makeup kit. As she began dabbing Jennifer’s face with the primer, she said, “Yah, your face is extra rosy today.”

“Oh?” Jennifer smiled.

“Yeah, and really shiny.” She looked at Jennifer for a moment and then asked Jae Won if he could please get them something to drink from the tea place down the street. Jae Won positioned his camera on the table to face the two women and then left. When he was gone, Ji Na turned back to Jennifer. “What did you do last night?” she asked.

“What?” Jennifer laughed. “Nothing.”

“Girls know,” Ji Na said, smiling. But Jennifer would not admit to anything and so Ji Na continued fixing her makeup. She patted her face down with powder to dry up the shine and then told her to close her eyes so that she could apply eyeliner. As she did, she asked, “Do you usually remember your dreams?”

“What do you mean?” Jennifer asked.

“What you dream about at night. Do you usually remember them in the morning?”

“Sometimes,” she said.

“In Korea, we sometimes have special dreams. Tae Mong,” she said. “In the next few weeks or months, if you have a special dream, you should call Jong Kook’s mom.”

“I don’t understand,”

Please log in to read the full chapter