Reality Drama

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

On the way to Anyang, Jong Kook called his manager, Kim Gap Jin, to ask him to look into a place for the American to stay. But Gap Jin had news for Jong Kook. He told him about the plans that SBS had been making since viewing the recent footage. They were excited about the loveline with the American, he said, and they would be providing a larger crew. They’re taking this project more seriously, he said.

Jong Kook didn’t know what to say. The two cameramen had been a manageable addition to his life. But a larger crew would change things. His reality would not feel like his reality anymore. And how would she feel about this? She had just started getting used to the cameras, but he hadn’t talked with her about how she really felt about the situation. Maybe she thought it was temporary. But it wasn’t temporary. It was about to be big. He didn’t want a production made of his life, but he had agreed to this, and he didn’t want to go back on his word.

Before hanging up, Gap Jin told Jong Kook that he would work with SBS on finding a place for the American to stay. Jong Kook slipped his phone into his pocket and turned his attention back to the road. He looked over at her. Her window was down and she had been letting the wind hit her face, but when she saw that the call was over, she turned to him and asked what they had talked about. “Is everything okay?” she asked.

“My manager is working on finding someplace for you to stay in Anyang,” he said. He didn’t know how to tell her that the trial period with the two cameramen might end, and that a real show with a real crew might begin.

“This is crazy,” she said. “I can’t believe we’re really doing this and that I’m actually going to be living in Korea.” She shook her head. “Everything is happening really fast, Jong Kook ssi.”

“I know,” he said.

She asked about the apartment, hoping that it would be small and simple so that she could afford it. And she talked about possibly finding a job. And about looking into how long she could stay as a tourist in the country. He listened but didn’t say much.

When they were nearing Anyang, he received a call back from his manager. Gap Jin told him that SBS had found an apartment for her and were fixing it up so that it would be suitable for filming. He gave Jong Kook the address and told him that he would meet them there.

“SBS found an apartment for you,” Jong Kook said.

“SBS?”

“Yeah, I need to ask you something before we get there.” He glanced over at her and then back at the road. “SBS might pay you,” he said. “You won’t need to get a job. They’ll pay you for being on camera.”

“You mean for these past few

Please log in to read the full chapter