Race End!

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

That night, they watched the episode of Running Man that aired, the one with Dae Sung that Jong Kook had filmed the previous week.

“The Running Man show we tape tomorrow will air next Sunday, the 14th,” Jong Kook said. “So, if they ask about our reality drama premiering on the 17th, that’s next week for us but it will be that week for the viewers. Understand?”

“Yeah,” she said.

As they watched the episode, he tried to prepare her by explaining what footage aired and why, and how the editors cut all of the extraneous time between and during some games. When he saw her start getting nervous again, he held her hand. “You’ve been on camera for almost two months now,” he said. “You’re already a pro.”

“This is different,” she said.

“Just smile,” he said. “And be sure to always face the cameras.”

The next morning, at the first filming location, Jong Kook talked with his fellow Running Man members as the production crew set up. They were in Hangang Park near the Banpo Bridge. It was a beautiful day and the Han River sparkled behind them. Haha was telling Jong Kook and Ji Hyo about his son, how much he has grown. Ji Hyo sipped her iced Americano and asked what he had planned for his son’s birthday the following month. As Haha talked, Jong Kook listened and smiled. He didn’t say much. Talk of children always made him sad.

The crew had separated Jennifer so that the Running Man members would not see her. Only Jong Kook and Jae Suk knew that she would appear. When the cameras began recording, Jae Suk started asking who the guest was, pretending he didn’t know. The PD then asked the Running Man members if they knew of Jong Kook’s reality drama, which would be premiering soon. Jong Kook looked down and smiled as the others talked excitedly about the show. “Dangyeonhaji,” they said. Of course. And then they began speculating aloud as to whether Jennifer was the guest. Gary mentioned that he had yet to meet her, and Kwang Soo then said that she was funny and that she had made a joke about Haha’s voice when they first met. Haha yelled then in his childish shriek and began hitting Kwang Soo.

When the PD announced that they would now reveal the guest, the Running Man members and camera crew turned to the curtain off to the side, which slowly opened and revealed Jennifer standing behind it. She was dressed simply in a white shirt and jeans, but Ji Na had fixed her hair and makeup really nice and she looked pretty in the sunlight. As she walked toward them, she bowed repeatedly. “Annyeong haeseyo,” she said. “Annyeong haeseyo.”

Jong Kook could see the earpiece she was wearing, which would allow her to hear the translator. She smiled and bowed again to Jae Suk, shaking his hand. Kwang Soo then pulled Jong Kook over from the side, asking him why he was over there and not standing next to Jennifer. Everyone then began pushing them toward the middle of the group, as both Jong Kook and Jennifer blushed.

He wanted to hold her hand to give her encouragement, but he knew that if he did, they would some more.

“Annyeong haeseyo, Jennifer,” Jae Suk said. He asked her then how she liked Korea, and if this was her first time in the country.

She held her hand briefly to her ear, hearing the translation, and then smiled. “Ne,” she said. “Korea is a beautiful country. I’ve had the best time here.”

Jae Suk listened as a crewman off camera translated her words. “Ah,” he said, then asking about the reality drama. It will air this Thursday night at ten, correct?

Jennifer nodded. “Ne,” she said. “Mokyoil.” Thursday.

Jong Kook smiled, remembering when he had heard her reciting the days of the week in her bedroom. He had been a little worried about how she would do on the show, but she was smiling and answering Jae Suk’s questions just fine. 

After the opening conversation, the PD told them that they would be walking over to the outdoor swimming pool just down the way for the first game. The sun was bright that morning and everyone was excited about a water game. But when they arrived at the pool and saw the contraption the crew had set up, they soon yelled out.

There were six “flying chairs” set up, which would hurl the men through the air and into the pool if the girls d

Please log in to read the full chapter