Jae Won

Kim Jong Kook and the American
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jae Won entered the passcode to Jennifer’s apartment early that Monday morning. He sat in the living room, setting up his gear, and then quickly turned his camera on when he heard Jennifer in the bedroom, waking up. He had been her VJ for over a month, spending more time with her than he did anyone else in his life. Not that he had anyone else in his life. His girlfriend had dumped him three months prior, and his work had left little time for friends. But he enjoyed his work, particularly this assignment.

He felt that he knew Jennifer more than Jong Kook knew her. After all, he was there before Jong Kook saw her each day and, now that Jong Kook was no longer sleeping at her apartment, he was also there after Jong Kook left each night.

A few weeks earlier, when he had heard that he would not be accompanying Jong Kook to the States, he had been mad. But he had talked with Jennifer since then and she had filled him in on what had happened there, how Jong Kook had stayed with her, visiting her father with her each day and sitting out on that bench by the river with her each night. He knew it wasn’t right, but he felt jealous of Jong Kook for stealing those moments from him. He should have been there. It was his job to film her.

As he propped the camera on his shoulder, he heard the front door open and saw Min Ji Na enter.

“Is she up yet?” Ji Na asked.

“I think so,” he said.

“Good, I have new makeup I want to try on her.”

They waited in the living room. Jae Won pretended to adjust the lens on his camera as Ji Na sorted through the makeup. When Jennifer stepped out of the bedroom, Jae Won returned the camera to his shoulder and stood up to film her.

“Good morning,” Jennifer said, rubbing her eyes.

They greeted her and Ji Na asked her to wash her face. Jennifer sleepily agreed.

When she returned from the bathroom, looking more awake, Ji Na asked if she used the face wash she had given her.

She nodded and sat beside Ji Na on the couch.

“Good,” Ji Na said. She reached for the foundation primer in her bag and started doing Jennifer’s makeup.

Jae Won had filmed this scene nearly every morning. He knew each step of Ji Na’s process and anxiously waited for her to finish. He soon stopped paying attention to their girl talk and began wrestling with his own thoughts, which largely centered on when, if ever, Jennifer would realize just how wrong Jong Kook was for her. He wasn’t sure why, exactly, she had fallen in love with Jong Kook. He had joined the project late with Ji Na, days after Jennifer and Jong Kook first met. He sometimes asked her about those early days, but she would fall into some ridiculous talk of fate and flowers, and he would get impatient, wanting to tell her that there w

Please log in to read the full chapter