Outside

ONLY YOU

 

 

 

 

 

“OH MY GOD!! Will you stop calling me?!” Bom shouted down in the phone in middle of the ward making the patient she was treating jump up in his bed.

 

“Just calling-“

 

“To make sure I haven’t forgotten about tonight! Yes TOP for the 7th time this morning I haven’t forgotten!” Bom finished Top’s sentence while waving the large needle in her hand a bit too close to the patient for comfort.

 

“So how did you do it then?” TOP asked as he leaned back on his chair in the police station.

 

“What are you on about?” Bom asked annoyed while the patients looked on at her curiously.

 

“What did you do to make the girls come tonight?” Top asked as he signalled at Daesung to bring over a case file.

 

Bom exhaled and glared down at the phone while she signalled at the nervous looking patient to lay back down, “I didn’t have to do anything-“

 

“No bribing was used then?” Top interrupted her.

 

“What?! No!” Bom exclaimed pointing the sharp needle towards the patient again.

 

The patient tried to shuffle off the bed but Bom held onto him and shook her head.

 

“Blackmailed them then?” TOP tried not to enjoy himself too much.

 

“Ha! Ha! Hilarious Top, just hilarious” Bom muttered through gritted teeth.

 

Top burst into laughter instead making Bom even more annoyed.

 

She tapped her foot and rolled her eyes until he’d finished, “Do you honestly have absolutely nothing to do with your time than irritate me all day?!”

 

“I do, but this is just way more fun” Top laughed again.

 

“I’m hanging up!” Bom warned.

 

“I’ll call you again” Top .

 

“Argh you infuriating piece of-” Bom stopped when she realised the whole ward was gaping at her.

 

She looked down at the patient who was eyeing the large needle wide eyed with fright. She placed the needle on the table and hung up before smiling apologetically at him.

 

She traced her hair behind her ear and bowed before hurrying out of there. This was not like her at all. She was always the calm and logical thinking one, not this high tempered crazy person she was slowly becoming into.

 

 

 

 

 

------------

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s so funny?” Daesung sat on Top’s desk.

 

“Aish this girl-” Top laughed as he sat forward.

 

 

“Minho, Junki need you two to go to the hospital and meet the motorbike victim” the chief placed the file on their desk and then walked back to his cabin.

 

The two started getting their jackets when Top grabbed the file instead, “Me and Dae will handle this.”

 

Before Minho and Junki could say anything, Top had grabbed Daesung by the collar and yanked him out of the station in no time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungri looked at CL from the corner of his eyes. She was in the passenger seat of his car staring out of the window. She hadn’t said a single word since he put her in the car. She hadn’t moved, shouted at him or cried like he expected any girl to in that situation.

 

 

He looked back at the open road again and kept driving without saying anything too.

 

 

 

 

“…You planned it didn’t you?” CL finally asked still looking out the window.

 

Seungri looked at her for a split second before looking at the road again.

 

 

“It was all your idea…” CL said again.

 

 

Seungri hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, “…yes.”

 

“Then you should have left me there” she said quietly and numbly, “Isn’t that what you wanted?”

 

“…yes” Seungri replied again.

 

“Then why didn’t you wait until they exposed my secret to the world? That I’m just not quite right in the head.” CL turned to him now, “Didn’t you want the whole world to know just how mad I am?!”

 

 

Seungri didn’t reply this time.

 

“Well I’m not mad ok!” CL raised her voice, “They’re the mad ones! Who would ask a 6 year old to remember the men that kidnapped her?! What human being would want someone who suffered something like that to remember it?! To relive it for every single moment of her life?!”

 

Seungri stopped the car by the road now before turning to speak to her but as soon as he did she flung the door open and stormed out.

 

 

 Seungri waited a moment before following her out. He leaned on the car and looked at her curiously as she stood there with her back turned to him.

 

 

“I wanted to forget everything!! But they wouldn’t let me!” Cl shouted, “The more upset I got the better it was for them. Their happiness depended on my suffering! So who’s the mad one?!”

 

Seungri continued to stare at her as she let all her anger out.

 

 

“I was just a child!” CL cried now as she turned around to face him, “I just wanted to forget what happened!!”

 

 

Seungri pushed himself off the car now and stood there not knowing what to say anymore.

 

CL looked up at him and shook his head, “And you turned out to be just like them. You’re worse than I thought.”

 

Seungri parted his lips to say something, he felt guilty for what he’d done. After having his childhood ruined, he knew what it felt like to be different. He should have known hurting CL this way wasn’t what he should have done, but his head was so full of just wanting revenge, he seemed to have lost his sense of right and wrong along the way.

 

 

CL’s eyes blurred with tears, she shook her head slowly, “… why can’t I live like a normal person?” Cl asked genuinely, “Why do everyone and everything keep reminding me that I’m not normal, that I’ll never be normal?”

 

 CL sighed sadly“…I just wanted to be a normal kid Seungri…but no one wanted to give me a chance to be one…Out of all the people…you should know how that feels” CL said slowly.

 

Seungri looked up at her as his face fell.

 

 

CL looked back at him for a long moment before walking away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Bom!”

 

Bom looked up and hung open when she saw Top and Daesung walking towards her, “Oh god no.”

 

“Alright roomie?” Top smiled at her brightly and ruffled her hair.

 

“I told you not to call me that” she hit his hand away and scowled.

 

Top just laughed instead while Daesung eyed the two suspiciously.

 

 

“Please tell me you’re not here to remind me about tonight” Bom shook her head at Top.

 

“I’m not as free as I look” Top replied, “I’m on duty actually.”

 

“Are you two the only cops in the city?” Bom asked, “Why is it always you here at the hospital?!”

 

“Guess its fate” Top .

 

“Don’t make me want to puke Top” Bom rolled her eyes.

 

 

“Bom-ah”

 

 

“Oh Dr Song” Bom smiled when she saw her sunbae and quickly bowed at her.

 

“Have you handed your permanent residency application yet?” Dr Song walked with her down the hallway. She looked at the two guys and nodded at them.

 

“They’re cops” Bom explained.

 

" Ah neh" Dr Song nodded again and turned back to Bom, “So have you?”

 

 

Bom pulled out her form from her white coat, “Not yet.”

 

“What are you waiting for?” Dr Song sighed, “I’ve given you the best recommendation. The Paediatric department would be stupid not to take you.”

 

Bom smiled gratefully but still gulped nervously, “I…I…haven’t asked-“

 

“Your father yet?” Dr Song raised a brow.

 

Bom’s eyes immediately shifted up at Top before looking back at Dr Song. Top furrowed his brows at her reaction but couldn’t quite make out why she was acting nervous.

 

“Bom-ah listen to me” Dr Song held onto Bom’s hand, “You’re the best intern this hospital has ever had. Any department would take you but it is your choice. No one else can make that decision for you do you understand me?”

 

Bom felt uncomfortable having this conversation in front of Top but there really wasn’t any way out of it.

 

“I remember you wanting to be a paediatrician from the very first day you came to this hospital” Dr Song continued, “Don’t let anyone take that away from you…not even your father.”

 

Bom smiled weakly and nodded.

 

“I have to go now, but don’t forget to hand that form in today” Dr Song reminded her before walking away.

 

Bom looked at her walk away as she held onto the form tightly.

 

Top noticed her expression, she looked scared somehow.

 

 

“So you want to be a paediatrician?” Daesung asked snapping both Bom and Top back to reality.

 

“Huh?” Bom looked at him and Top, “Oh…I guess…”

 

Top tilted his head slightly while looking at her with curiosity.

 

 

Daesung started to shudder suddenly, “Kids scare me.”

 

Bom raised her brows at him and smiled now, “Kids scare you? How is that possible?”

 

“When they cry” Daesung shook his head, “You can’t stop it and you start to panic.”

 

Bom giggled at him and Top smiled too, “They cry because they don’t know how else to communicate. It’s just their way of wanting help.”

 

 

“You really like kids don’t you?” Top finally asked.

 

Bom looked up at him smiled with a hint of sadness, “Of course. Children...they're are innocent and pure…but that also means they’re the ones that need to be protected the most.”

 

Immediately Top knew she was referring to herself in some way. She lost her childhood at a young age and maybe that’s why she wants to help children so much. She never wants them to go through what she had to.

 

Bom broke the gaze and smiled uncomfortably, “I…I should go.”

 

Top and Daesung nodded and let her leave.

 

 

 

Bom suddenly stopped and turned back around just as Top looked up at her,”…I’ll see you tonight.”

 

Top smiled at this and nodded before she walked away.

 

 

 

“Ok ok” Daesung smiled slyly and put his hands up, “I get it now.”

 

“Get what?” Top raised a brow.

 

“I should have known” Daesung laughed alone.

 

Top shook his head and waited for him to explain.

 

“There’s something going on isn’t there?” Daesung wiggled his brows.

 

“Where?” Top asked geniuenly.

 

“You know” Daesung nudged Top.

 

“What are you on about?” Top said irritated now.

 

“There’s something going on between you and Bom isn’t there?” Daesung finally said.

 

Top sighed and shook his head, “Are you mad? Why would you think that?”

 

“I saw those little smiles you were giving each other” Daesung nodded smugly.

 

“Don’t start” Top warned him, “And don’t talk bullsh!t like this in front of her and scare her off.”

 

“Oooh” Daesung raised his brows, “Defensive are we?”

 

“I’m being serious Dae. She’s not like other girls” Top said, “And you’re wrong there’s nothing going on between us. But she’s a cool girl and I think…I think we’re friends. So leave it got it.”

 

Daesung sighed and pouted, “I was just joking anyway. She’d never go for you.”
 

“What?!” Top shouted and tried to kick Daesung.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara stepped out of her room now back in her own clothes. She looked up at Jiyong who was waiting outside.

 

Jiyong felt uncomfortable just looking at her. She looked like she needed comforting, just he wasn’t really the guy for that. But whether he liked it or not he knew he had to do something about it. He held his hand out for the maid’s dress that was neatly folded in Dara’s hands.

 

Dara handed them to him and looked down at the ground.

 

Jiyong sighed and furrowed his brows before speaking, “Can you not do that?”

 

Dara looked up at him and shook her head, “I didn’t blink, I promise.”

 

“No not that” Jiyong said before pointing at her face, “Can you stop that thing you’re doing with your face.”

 

Dara felt her face with her hands in confusion.

 

“That thing you’re doing with your eyes” JIyong frowned as he pointed at her eyes and then her pouting lips, “And why are you lips like that?”

 

Dara shook her head not understanding before pouting sadly again.

 

“That!” he pointed again startling Dara, “Stop it. It’s annoying.”

 

 

“It’s because I’m sad…” Dara mumbled.

 

“What is there to be sad about now?” Jiyong asked in confusion, “I said you can stay with me didn’t I?”

 

Dara bit her lips, “I guess so…”

 

“Guess so?” Jiyong scoffed.

 

“Mianhe…don’t mind me, I’ll be ok in a bit…” Dara smiled sadly at him before making her way back into her room.

 

“Wait!” Jiyong stopped her before he could think why he stopped her in the first place.

 

Dara turned around and blinked.

 

 

“Aish!” JIyong rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat, “…what do you normally do…to…to you know…”

 

Dara blinked again not understanding, “huh?”

 

“When you’re like this” he pointed at her face.

 

“You mean sad?” Dara asked.

 

Jiyong nodded and then looked away, “…I mean…not that I really want to know but…what do you do to not be sad…?”

 

Dara titled her head and looked at him strangely.

 

 

JIyong exhaled heavily, “Is there anything you want to do?”

 

“Me?” Dara pointed at herself.

 

“NO THE BLOODY DOOR BEHIND YOU!” JIyong finally shouted.

 

Dara jumped back slightly but then turned back to the door, “I’m confused” she said as she turned to face him.

 

Jiyong face palmed himself, “Forget it. That’s the last time I try to be nice to you-“

 

“You were being nice?” Dara suddenly smiled, “To me?”

 

 

Jiyong paused for a moment before looking away, “Forget it.”

 

“Wait” Dara stopped him.

 

Jiyong stepped closer to her angrily, “You have 5 seconds to tell me what the hell I can exactly do to make you not look so bloody miserable! 5, 4, 3, 2-“

 

“Outside!” Dara suddenly shouted in a hurry, “…I…want to go outside…please”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“One more…make it double strong” CL sighed as she tapped her empty shot glass on the bar.

 

“Cancel that and make it a glass of water” Seungri told the bartender as he sat down next to her.

 

CL scoffed loudly, “You’ve got to be kidding me. And to top off my fantastic day, here comes the b*stard who revealed to the whole world just how mad I am!”

 

“You trying to drink your liver to death?” Seungri asked as he pointed at the large number of empty glasses in front of her.”

 

“I can handle my drinks thank you very much” CL muttered slightly tipsy as she turned away from him but Seungri just pulled her seat back around to him, “And don’t you want me to die anyway?”

 

“Drink the water” Seungri handed her the glass of water ignoring her last comment.

 

CL looked at the water suspiciously, “And what is that meant to do?”

 

“That’s meant to stop you from getting drunk” Seungri replied bluntly.

 

CL laughed before looking at him, “I don’t need that. What I need is something strong enough to make me forget how absolutely pathetically weak I am.”

 

Seungri furrowed his brows and let go of her chair, “Come on, I’ll drop you home.”

 

“I’m actually meeting someone here!” CL swivelled her chair away from him, “So if you don’t mind Mr d*ckhead- I mean Mr Lee…I’m gonna go back to drinking my liver to death.”

 

Seungri sighed and signalled the bartender for a drink too.

 

CL snickered drunkardly at this, “First you expose me as a mental case to the whole country and now you’re here drinking with me. Seriously what are you trying to do?”

 

“I’m here to meet someone too” Seungri replied bluntly.

 

“I feel sorry for whoever that is” CL insulted him before taking another shot.

 

“I feel more sorry for who you’re meeting considering your state right now” Seungri replied.

 

“Hey! After what I just went through today I need this” CL said angrily before taking her shot, “I need to forget so I can live my bloody life without being scared of everything! That’s what I need Seungri!”

 

Seungri sighed and put his glass down.

 

 

“Now please, can you leave me alone!” CL glared at him, “The sight of you really really disgusts me!”

 

Seungri finally stood up and backed away leaving Cl to drown her sorrows even more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So the bike went through red lights and hit your son?” Top asked the mother who was crying next to her son’s bed.

 

The mother nodded and told Daesung and Top the whole story.

 

Top continued to write notes when from the corner of his eyes he saw Bom enter the children’s ward he was in. He looked up and saw Bom approaching an older looking doctor close to him.

 

 

 

“Dr Kang?” Bom asked and bowed when the senior doctor looked at her.

 

“Dr Bom” he smiled, “How can I help?”

 

“I…I…” Bom stuttered nervously as she took the application form out in front of her.

 

“What’s this?” Dr Kang took the form and started to open it.

 

“It’s my…application for permanent residency here at the p…Paediatrics department” Bom stuttered nervously.

 

Dr Kang furrowed his brows and looked up at Bom, “Bom I’m sorry I can’t take this.”

 

Bom looked at him wide eyed, “Why not Dr Kang? I fit all the qualifications, I have two recommendations and-“

 

“I know Bom” Dr Kang, “But you can’t apply to more than one department.”

 

Bom took her form back when he handed it to her, “I don’t understand Dr Kang, I haven’t applied anywhere else.”

 

Dr Kang sighed, “I’m sorry Bom, Dr Song told me how much you wanted to become a paediatrician but your application form has already been given to the neurology department.”

 

“What?!“ Bom exclaimed in shock.

 

“Your father handed it personally himself” Dr Kang explained.

 

Bom’s face fell, “…father?”

 

Dr Kang nodded, “I’m sorry Bom. But it’s best if you just start preparing for your interview. You know they all start next week don’t you.”

 

Bom nodded slowly as Dr Kang left. She felt heart broken. Even this was stolen away from her. To be honest she never wanted to become a doctor in the first place. She always wanted to be a kindergarten teacher but her father had simply ignored that thinking it was some silly dream and told her she had to become a doctor instead. She had thought at least if she became a paediatrician and had the chance to help children everyday it wouldn’t be so bad. But now she had to become a neurosurgeon when she had no interest in it whatsoever.

 

She suddenly felt a tear drop forming and she quickly wiped her eyes before anyone saw. As usual she straightened herself up and lifted her chin up. She turned around only to come face to face with Top instead.

 

 

Top was looking at her with a concerned look and Bom felt herself deflating again. Why did he always have to see her at her worst?

 

 

“Bom… are you ok?” he asked slowly.

 

Bom just looked at him for a long moment.

 

 

Top furrowed his brows, “Bom-“

 

“If I say no, that I’m not ok. What can you do?” Bom asked instead.

 

Top sighed and didn’t say anything.

 

 

Bom held her breath, “You can’t do anything. No one can. So I’m fine, ok? I’m fine.”

 

Top watched her as she walked past him and towards the bin before throwing her application in the bin. And without another look she walked out of there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

[Reminds of you by Byul]

 

 

 

 

“Are we really going outside?” Dara hopped on one leg as she tried to put her shoe on, “Not just the garden but outside?”

 

Jiyong picked his car keys and headed towards the door, “Why? Don’t you want to go?”

 

“NO!” Dara exclaimed and then covered in shock when she saw Jiyong raise his brows at her. She immediately lowered her head and apologised.

 

Jiyong smirked and shook his head, “You want to leave this house that badly?”

 

“…ani…I don’t think I’ll ever want to”, Dara said honestly.

 

 

JIyong looked back at her for a moment before she broke their gaze. He cleared his throat and grabbed his jacket, “Is there anywhere you want to go?”

 

Dara smiled now and shook her head, “Anywhere is fine…but…well…there is…I mean can we…”

 

“What?” Jiyong raised a brow.

 

“…I’ve never been…anywhere” Dara mumbled and then looked up at him, “but there was one time when I was small I saw the men watching something on TV. There was this long road with people selling really yummy looking things by the road” Dara gulped at the thought, “and there were people walking around laughing and having fun even though it looked so cold.”

 

“You mean food stalls?” Jiyong asked frowning.

 

Dara clasped her hands together and nodded.

 

“Out of all the places in the city, you want to go eat at a food stall?” Jiyong asked not pleased.

 

Dara nodded again and looked up at him with her big round eyes.

 

Jiyong’s face softened for a moment and when he felt himself smiling he turned away and opened the door, “Hurry up then!”

 

Dara jumped slightly on the spot with excitement and ran out of the door.

 

“Wait!” Jiyong tried to stop her but it was too late.

 

 

 “Aahh!” Dara exclaimed as she suddenly froze on the spot outside from the coldness.

 

 

“I was going to say don’t forget your jacket” Jiyong stepped towards her just as Dara let out cold vapour from .

 

She stood there as her teeth chattered away in the cold while Jiyong tried to stop his laughter. He looked down at the t-shirt and jeans she was wearing and shook his head.

 

“Here!” Jiyong took his jacket off but Dara stopped him.

 

“Ani, I have a jumper upstairs-“

 

“A jumper isn’t going to be enough in this weather” he handed her his jacket with one hand while he reached for another jacket hanging by the door inside.

 

 

Dara looked down at his jacket and smiled warmly.

 

“Stop being a creep and wear it instead” Jiyong said non-chalantly.

 

“Neh!” Dara said happily as she started putting the oversized jacket on.

 

Jiyong smiled slightly and shook his head, “Are you really that happy to leave?”

 

Dara bit her lip and smiled, “Ani…I just never thought you’d let me out because one of your rules was not to leave the compound in case…in case those men saw me”, her face fell slightly but she still tried to smile.

 

Jiyong on the other hand had a dead serious expression when he remembered that those men might still be looking for her.

 

Dara looked at him worriedly, “…please don’t change your mind…”

 

Jiyong looked at her and suddenly grabbed her hand and yanked her inside the house without warning.

 

 

------------

 

 

 

 

10 minutes later

 

 

 

“Do I have to really wear these?” Dara asked as she tried to take Jiyong’s sunglasses off her.

 

“Yes!” Jiyong pushed them back in place and pulled down the hood over her face.

 

“But I can’t see anything” Dara fumbled around in the dark nearly walking into a tree on her way.

 

JIyong pulled her out of the way before she walked face first into the tree and held onto her arm until they were out of his compound.

 

“It’s too dark-“

 

“Doesn’t matter, those men might still be looking for you, I can’t take that chance” Jiyong mumbled as he looked around.

 

Dara stopped suddenly and looked around too, without thinking she held onto Jiyong’s arm tightly.

 

 

Jiyong looked down at his arm in surprise.

 

Dara leaned her body towards his as if to hide instead of stepping away.

 

Jiyong looked down the road and cleared his throat uncomfortably, “…it’s ok. No one’s here…you can let go.”

 

Dara blinked and looked up at him only to realise just how close to him she was standing. She immediately stepped back and looked away nervously too, “…sorry…I got…scared for a moment...”

 

Jiyong sighed deeply and looked down the road. He grimaced and rubbed the back of his head before suddenly holding his hand out in front of Dara.

 

Dara looked down at his hand in confusion and just stared at it instead.

 

Jiyong spoke to her without looking at her, “Since it’s your first time outside, you can hold me…I guess.”

 

Dara looked up at him and smiled warmly. Her hands slowly reached for his hand and she held it tightly with both hands.

 

Jiyong looked at her for a split second before looking ahead, “Let’s go.”