A new beginning

ONLY YOU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong to his back and looked at the pitch black ceiling. He couldn’t stop thinking about how scared Dara was. That fear in her eyes, he couldn’t shake it off no matter how hard he tried. What could possibly have happened to make her that way?

 

He sat upright and raked his fingers through his hair. Whatever it was, he shouldn’t think about it. She would be gone tomorrow and he can live his life like he always as.

 

He stood up made his way to the kitchen wanting a drink.

 

 

 

As he passed Dara’s room he stopped for a moment. Again he couldn’t help but wonder if she was ok in there. And immediately after he thought that he grimaced and walked away.

 

 

---

 

 

 

He angrily walked down the stairs and straight into the kitchen. He swung the refrigerator door open, grabbed a bottle of water and slammed it shut.

 

“ah”

 

 

He froze and turned around slowly to find Dara huddled under the table. He furrowed his brows and walked to her, “What are you doing down there?!”

 

Dara gulped and scrambled back away from him.

 

“Yah! Get out of there” Jiyong said confused as to why she was down there. He walked up to her and kneeled in front of her, “What are you doing there?!”

 

 

Dara looked up at him scared, she hung her head low and clasped her hands together nervously. It was too dark in her room and she’d been afraid of the dark ever since she could remember. Before when she lived with those men, she would have to sleep on the kitchen floor every single night. And although it was cold and uncomfortable it was the only place where there was light. A small street light from outside would shine in through the broken window and light up the kitchen just enough for her to be able to sleep.

 

Here it was the same. Her room was so large and pitch black dark that she shuddered with fear. Finally she’d crept out and looked down stairs. The whole place was dark and she found herself walking towards the moonlight that was coming through the large glass windows in the kitchen. She had hesitated for a long moment before plucking up the courage to go to the kitchen. Once in the kitchen she naturally got under the table like she had always done and slowly and finally fell asleep.

 

 

 

Jiyong rubbed his head in frustration, “Get out of there!”

 

Dara brought her knees closer to her and shut her eyes as she shook her head.

 

 

“Aish!” Jiyong growled and grabbed onto her hand, “Are you crazy or something?!”

 

But Dara pulled her hand back from fright and pulled it close to her body instead.

 

 

Jiyong sighed heavily and tried to calm himself down remembering what Taeyang had said about the girl being scared.

 

With a calmer voice he asked again, “What are you doing down there?”

 

 

Dara looked at him with the same nervous unsure expression and then her eyes looked towards the moon outside.

 

Jiyong followed her gaze and looked outside too and caught sight of the full moon. He furrowed his brows and looked around his house realising it was completely dark. Was she scared of the dark? That’s why she came here? Why didn’t she just turn the lights on?

 

 

“Are you scared of the dark?” Jiyong asked in his usual gruff manner.

 

Dara looked down and nodded slightly.

 

Jiyong exhaled in exasperation and stood up to turn the lights on.

 

Dara squinted her eyes at the bright light and shrank back even more.

 

 

“Come out now” Jiyong repeated again.

 

Dara didn’t react.

 

Jiyong raked his fingers through his hair angrily, “For sake just come out!”

 

Dara suddenly covered her face scared and bowed down in front of him.

 

Jiyong stepped back slightly and looked with surprise as she bowed repeatedly in front of him, “What ... what are you doing?!”

 

Dara stopped bowing but kept her head low.

 

 

“Stand up!” Jiyong growled, she was making him feel uncomfortable again.

 

 

Dara nervously stood up and stepped back slightly, her head still faced the floor.

 

Jiyong gritted his teeth, ready to shout at her when he finally looked at her properly for the first time all night. And the sight of her made his anger subsided, she looked like she hadn’t eaten in days. Her hair was knotted untidily in a ponytail with strands of her brown hair falling in front of her face. She was small and malnourished, he noticed alongside the scars she had dry mud marks on her legs and arms. Her clothes consisted of just a brown shirt that was probably once white and ripped black shorts.

 

 

Jiyong closed his eyes, “Are you hungry?”

 

Dara looked up at him in surprise.

 

Jiyong walked back to the fridge and took out some food that the maids had left for him. He heated it up and plated it while Dara watched him quietly from where she was standing.

 

Jiyong placed the plate on the table, “Eat.”

 

Dara blinked and looked down at the food.

 

Jiyong sighed and walked up to her but Dara flinched away. Jiyong scowled and grabbed her arm anyway before pulling her towards the table.

 

“Eat and then go to sleep” Jiyong said bluntly again, “Do it before I get angry.”

 

 

Dara bit her lips and carefully reached for the plate. She looked at Jiyong carefully before holding the plate and sitting on the floor.

 

“What are you doing now?!” Jiyong shouted making Dara jump slightly again.

 

She didn’t understand what she’d done wrong again. She always sat on the floor to eat.

 

 

“Do you like the floor that much?!” Jiyong asked, “Sit on the bloody chair!”

 

Dara looked up at the chair and then shook her head. She knew better than to sit on a chair and eat. That’s where the men used to sit and eat, and she would have to sit on the floor in the corner and eat. That was her place and she knew if she did otherwise she would be punished.

 

“Sit on the chair now!” Jiyong growled again.

 

Dara looked confused not knowing why this guy was telling her to sit on the chair when she knew she’d be punished if she did.

 

Jiyong clenched his jaw and grabbed the plate from the floor slamming it on the table and then grabbed Dara’s arm yanking her up before making her sit on the chair.

 

“Don’t you dare move!” Jiyong warned her when she was about to stand up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom got into her bed and snuggled in that night.

 

“I hope she’s ok” she mumbled worried about leaving the girl with Jiyong.

 

She started thinking about the night’s events and her face fell again when she thought about TOP.

 

 

[Flashback]

 

 

 

Bom shuffled down the corridor holding her pile of books closely to her chest.

 

 

“Yah Pompom!”

 

Bom turned around and something cold and wet splattered across her face. She dropped her books and gasped in shock as she fell onto the floor.

 

 

“Wasn’t feeling hungry today so thought you might want my lunch instead” Sookjun smirked and hi-fived his friends as Bom tried to wipe the cold rice off her face.

 

“Here have some orange juice to help with that” one of the girls from class, Sohyun walked up to her and poured the juice on top of Bom's head.

 

Sookjun laughed and hung his arm around Sohyung as they watched Bom try not to cry.

 

 

 

“Yah Sookjun let’s go play” TOP suddenly called out while spinning a basketball in his hands. He suddenly grimaced when he saw Bom on the floor.

 

“Coming” Sookhun grinned.

 

 

“What’s going on here?” TOP asked as he walked towards them.

 

 

“Nothing oppa” Sohyung wrapped her arms around TOP’s, “she just tripped over her lunch.”

 

The boys tried not to laugh while Bom broke down quietly.

 

 

TOP pulled his arm away and walked up to Bom, before getting a handkerchief out of his pocket, “There.”

 

Sohyun huffed angrily, “Oppa!”

 

 

Bom slowly looked up through her glasses at TOP.

 

TOP placed the handkerchief onto her lap, “Be careful next time.”

 

 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

Bom smiled slightly at the memory of TOP helping her but immediately she shook her head, “Babo! Stop thinking about that jerk!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong raised his brows and leaned back on his chair as he watched Dara eat like she hadn’t eaten in days.

 

Dara grabbed the glass of water with both her hands and started drinking like her life depended on it when she caught JIyong’s eyes and she started coughing.

 

But before Jiyong could react she shook her head and calmed herself down. Embarassed she looked back at the floor again.

 

JIyong sighed, “Are you done?”

 

 

Dara nodded slowly and fiddled with her fingers nervously.

 

 

Jiyong tilted his head to the side slightly, “Do you know how to speak?”

 

Dara looked up and him slightly before looking down again and nodding.

 

“Why don’t you say something instead of nodding all the time then?” Jiyong crossed his arms across his chest.

 

Dara bit her lips and shook her head timidly.

 

JIyong closed his eyes tiredly, “Forget it. Go to sleep.”

 

 

Dara looked nervous just thinking about that big dark room again.

 

“I’ll leave the lights on so hurry up” JIyong said as if he knew what She was thinking. He got up and walked out of the kitchen as Dara followed him cautiously from behind.

 

 

 

 

-------

 

 

 

 

Jiyong entered the room and switched on the lights, he turned back around to face Dara standing by the door, “Can you sleep now?”

 

Dara nodded.

 

JIyong sighed angrily, “Then what are you doing still standing there?”

 

Dara gulped nervously and then walked towards the bed.

 

 

“Don’t go wandering about” he said gruffily before walking out.

 

Dara slowly and warily got into bed. It felt so soft. She looked around the brightly lit room one last time before falling asleep without worrying for the first time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning Minzy stood outside the hospital and quickly straightened her nurse uniform, “Breathe Minzy breathe.”

 

She smiled brightly before walking into the large hospital lobby, “Wah…this is definitely bigger than the hospital back home.”

 

 

 

“Ah! Excuse me doctor nim” Minzy ran to the nearest doctor.

 

“Neh?” Bom asked back.

 

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo could you tell me the way to the paediatrics department please” Minzy asked.

 

Bom looked at her uniform and smiled, “Ah you must be the new nurse. Hi I’m Dr Park Bom.”

 

Minzy bowed at her, “I’m Gong Minzy. It's nice to meet you.”

 

 

“Come on I’m heading there anyway” Bom smiled and led the way there, “So Minzy are you from around here?”

 

“Ani Dr Park, this is my first time in Seoul” Minzy said nervously.

 

“Chincha?” Bom asked, “Well I’m sure you’ll love it here. And if you need anything just ask me.”

 

“Wah kamsamida” Minzy bowed.

 

 

“Have you been working here for long Dr Park?” Minzy asked as they walked along the corridor.

 

“About 2 years, my last year of internship” Bom smiled, “Ah here we are.”

 

Minzy looked at the colourful paediatrics department before following Bom to the nurse station.

 

 

“Nurse Jang, here is our new recruit” Bom introduced Minzy.

 

Minzy bowed at the nurse and looked up at Bom.

 

“You’re in safe hands, don't worry.” Bom reassured Minzy, “Hopefully I’ll see you around Nurse Gong.”

 

 

“Dr Park!”

 

“Got to go” Bom rolled her eyes at the nurse and went to speak to the other doctor calling her.

 

 

“Minzy come I’ll show you around” Nurse Jang said before walking out of the nurse station.

 

"Ah neh" Minzy quickly followed her.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

 

“Yes Young deuk?” Bom walked up to the other doctor, her junior by a year.

 

“Dr Park, Dr Song wants to see the interns” Young deuk explained when he suddenly caught sight of Minzy for a split second, “…Who’s that?”

 

Bom turned around to see Nurse Jang covering Minzy’s face with her body, “Ah her, she’s our new nurse. She seems nice so be good to her.”

 

“Neh neh” Young deuk nodded as he tried to get another glimpse of her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing here?!” Taeyang asked as he stepped into Jiyong’s office, “What about the girl?”

 

Jiyong continued to type away on the computer.

 

 

“Shouldn’t we take her to the station now?” Taeyang asked again, “Is she ok?”

 

JIyong looked up, “Why are you so worried about her?”

 

Taeyang rolled his eyes, “Yah, the girl was practically half dead when we found her. Of course I’m worried-“

 

“She’s fine. She was sleeping when I left” Jiyong replied as he turned back to his work.

 

 

“But still-“

 

“I’ll take her to the station after work” Jiyong stopped him.

 

“But is she going to be ok at your place the whole day?” Taeyang asked worried.

 

“The maids can look after her.” Jiyong replied nonchalantly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Palli let’s clean up so we can have a break” one of the maids said as they hurried down the large corridors of Jiyong’s mansion, “Ah my back is killing me.”

 

“What is it with him being such a neat freak” the other complained, “He doesn’t even use these rooms and yet we still have to clean them aish.”

 

“Yah we should be lucky that he hasn’t fired us yet, palli let’s hurry up” they opened the door to one of the guest rooms, “Omo why is the light on?”

 

“OMO!”

 

They gasped when they saw a girl sleeping on the bed.

 

 

 

“Who is she? Do you think sajangnim was with her last night?” one whispered.

 

“Are you mad? Look at her. She looks like a beggar.” The other replied, “Palli let’s get her out before sajangnim finds out!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Arasso arasso” TOP nodded as he spoke on the phone, “Bring the girl to the station later.”

 

“Why not now?” Taeyang asked.

 

“Because I’m working right now.” He hung up and nodded at the nurses as they giggled past him.

 

 

He turned around and suddenly squinted his eyes when he saw Bom hurrying down the corridor, “Bom!”

 

 

Bom halted and looked up to find Top waving at her to grab her attention. Her jaw fell to the floor as he walked up to her.

 

“What are you doing here?!” Bom hissed.

 

“Came to see you” TOP shrugged.

 

Bom gritted her teeth, “I thought I made myself clear last night. I don’t want to talk to you!”

 

“It’s important-“

 

“It can’t be as important as my patients so if you’ll excuse me” Bom walked past him.

 

“You can’t avoid me forever Bom” TOP walked by her side.

 

Bom huffed and turned to face him, “Oh yes I can, so unless you’re seriously injured, don’t bother showing your face in front of me here ever again!” Bom glared at him before storming off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Nurse, pass me patient Kim’s file”

 

“Um neh” Minzy fumbled around and grabbed a handful of files and turned around.

 

“YOU!”

 

Minzy looked up surprised at the doctor. Why was he suddenly shouting at her?

 

“You!” Young deuk pointed at her angrily.

 

“Sorry?” Minzy blinked nervously.

 

 

“You’re the girl from last night! The one that spat on my head!” Young deuk shouted angrily making everyone stop and look at the two.

 

Minzy’s eyes widened and she clasped her hands over only to realise she was holding onto the files. They crashed onto Young deuk’s foot.

 

“AGH!” Young deuk started hoping around, “YAH!”

 

Minzy stepped back and bowed repeatedly, “ottoke ottoke…I’m so sorry Doctor-nim!” she tried to pick the fallen files just as he tried to grab her but she accidently hit his face with one of the files and he fell onto the floor next to her.

 

“OMO!” Minzy cringed and stood up quickly, "I'm so sorry!"

 

 

“YAH! AH MY EYE! YAH!” Young deuk looked up to see Minzy half way down the corridor already, “YAH! COME BACK!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom whipped the curtains as she flipped through the chart, “Hello I’m Dr Park- OHMYGOD!” she startled back when she saw TOP laying on the bed grinning at her, “YOU AGAIN?!”

 

TOP sat up and smiled back at her.

 

“What are you doing here?! I told you I don’t want to see you-” Bom warned him.

 

“Even if I’m your patient?” TOP smiled innocently.

 

Bom rolled her eyes and glared at him, “Don’t joke with me TOP!”

 

“I’m not” TOP shrugged and pointed at his leg, “I hurt my leg.”

 

Bom crossed her arms angrily.

 

TOP smiled and rolled his trouser leg up to show her his 'injury'.

 

 

“It’s just a bloody bruise” she muttered through gritted teeth.

 

“I could have internal bleeding” TOP blinked at her innocently.

 

“Does this seem like a joke to you?” Bom aksed angrily, “You’re wasting my time when I could be treating someone else right now.”

 

“I have rights to basic treatment as a human” TOP shrugged, “And I chose to be treated by you.”

 

“Well I decline” Bom scoffed and called out one of the nurses, “Nurse Nam?”

 

 

Just then a large burly nurse came forward and TOP gulped slightly worried now.

 

 

“Nurse Nam here will give you your basic treatment Mr Choi” Bom smiled as Nurse Nam started to crack her knuckles.

 

“Yah…yah” TOP squirmed slightly, “Bom shi! Don’t leave me with her! YAH!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Aish TOP!” Taeyang tried to call TOP again.

 

 

“If you’re going to be irritating do it outside my office” Jiyong said expressionlessly.

 

“Am I the only one worried here?” Taeyang asked, “You shouldn’t be involved in something like this for the good of the company. If people find out about your involvement with a girl like her it will only damage the company’s image.”

 

“My company is not just any company that can be damaged by someone like her” Jiyong said looking up from his work, “And I recall helping the girl, I don’t think that’s bad for business.”

 

“Is she just any girl?” Taeyang asked back, “Did you not see the state of her? Who knows what kind of stuff she’s involved in? It’s better to stay out of those kinds of situation.”

 

“Taeyang it’s your job to sort this out not mine. That is the reason why I hired you isn’t it?” Jiyong asked bluntly.

 

“Yes that’s why I’m saying let’s take the girl to the police station right now” Taeyang urged him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CL flipped through the file as she walked into the construction site. She suddenly stopped, “Secretary Kim what’s this?”

 

Kim looked at the file, “Ah Mr Lee wanted this change done.”

 

CL glared at him, “Why wasn’t I informed of this?”

 

“I’m sorry ma’am” Kim bowed, “Mr Lee said you would be fine with it-“

 

“And you let him change it?” CL asked back angrily. She closed the file and stormed into the site.

 

 

 

 

---------

 

 

 

 

 

“Mr Lee here is the progress report so far” one of the employers handed him the report.

 

 

“Seungri shi!”

 

 

Seungri smirked but quickly straightened his face before turning around to face CL.

 

 

CL handed him the file, “I don’t mean to sound rude but since this is a joint venture should I not have been informed about the designs for the layout of the hotel.”

 

“I’m sorry I made you feel like you had no control over the matter.”

 

CL’s eyes squinted slightly at his choice of words.

 

“But I thought that this layout for just the ground floor would be appropriate” Seungri continued.

 

 

“But we’ve discussed this with the architects already” CL tried to say politely.

 

“I know, but there seemed to be something quite not right with the prevous design so I went and spoke to the architects myself.”

 

 

CL’s face fell slightly now, the guy was starting to get on her nerves now, “With all do respect Seungri shi, my father specifically wanted the original layout.”

 

 

“The problem is Cl shi, as much as I have…respect for your father, I do my work with my brain. I don’t let emotions get the best of me. You seem blinded to the fact that the original layout wasn’t very accessible just because of your father.”

 

CL curled her hands into fists but hid them behind her back.

 

“If we are to build this hotel together I would hope that you would also use your mind” Seungri smiled.

 

CL clenched her jaw together but smiled back, “If that’s the case Seungri shi, I’ll have another look at the layout.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“agh!” Dara fell onto her hands and scraped them on the hard concrete ground.

 

 

“I don’t know how you got in but stay out!” the maid shouted at Dara, “You don’t know the owner of this house."

 

Dara hung her head low and wiped her fallen tears.

 

 

“Ani how did she get in anyway?!” the other maid whispered as Dara struggled to stand up, “So pathetic.”

 

 

Dara bit her lips and finally managed to stand up.

 

 

“Look at her” the maid shuddered, “How can she live with herself looking like that?”

 

Dara tried to block the harsh words but the tears still brimmed over her eyes and down her cheeks.

 

 

“Maybe she thought she was going to be like Cinderella” one of them laughed, “Thinking that sajangnim would feel sorry for her and then fall in love with her!”

 

The others laughed loudly while Dara stepped back hurt.

 

 

 

 

“What’s going on here?” a woman’s voice suddenly appeared.

 

The maids quickly bowed at the woman and Dara turned to see a woman in her late 40’s, dressed elegantly looking at her curiously.

 

 

“Who is this?” Mrs Kwon asked.

 

“Ma’am…we found her sleeping in one of the guest rooms” the maid answered.

 

“What?! Who let this in the house?!” Mrs Kwon spoke as if Dara wasn’t even a person.

 

 

Dara stepped back nervously.

 

 

“She must have sneaked into the house last night ma’am.”

 

“Is she a thief?!” Mrs Kwon asked, “Have you called the police?”

 

 

Dara shook her head fretfully.

 

 

“Where are the guards? How did they let this thing in the house?!” Mrs Kwon scoffed in disbelief. She then turned to Dara, “Leave now!”

 

Dara shuddered slightly but remained frozen on the spot.

 

 

“I said leave!” Mrs Kwon shouted, “How dare someone like you even think about entering my son’s house!”

 

Dara shrank back from fear and she looked back at the house sadly. Where would she find safety like she found in this house?”

 

“Just look at her?!” Mrs Kwon asked angrily, “Look at the filth she’s wearing! Get her out before Jiyong sees!”

 

The maids started to approach Dara and instinctively Dara turned to run away when someone suddenly grabbed her hand and pulled her close to him. She gasped and looked up to see Jiyong’s expressionless face looking straight at his mother.

 

 

Mrs Kwon and the maids gaped at Jiyong holding the girl close to him.

 

 

“Sajangnim” the maids bowed, “We’re sorry. We found her inside the house. She must have been trying to steal something. We’ll get rid of her now.”

 

But when the maids approached Dara again, JIyong pulled Dara behind him and glared at them to stop.

 

 

 

“Jiyong?” Mrs Kwon asked, “What are you doing?”

 

 

JIyong’s eyes flickered up to his mother.

 

 

“Take the girl away from him” Mrs Kwon ordered the maids again.

 

 

 

“Touch her and you’re fired” Jiyong warned them coldly.

 

Dara blinked and looked up at him as he protectively hid her behind him.

 

 

“JIyong!” Mrs Kwon gasped in disbelief.

 

 

 

“Apologise” Jiyong ordered the maids.

 

“Neh?” they asked confused.

 

“Apologise to her” Jiyong muttered through his gritted teeth.

 

 

“And why would they do such an absurd thing?!” Mrs Kwon stepped forward, “Why would they apologise to a low life beggar like her?!”

 

 

“Because” Jiyong glared at his mother with so much intensity even his mum lost her breath for a moment, “This low life beggar lives in this house with me.”