A date with an Entomologist

ONLY YOU

 

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s been 3 days already” Taeyang asked Bom, “Why isn’t she waking up?”

Bom sighed and looked at the others, “Honestly, I was hoping she’d wake up by now too…but it’s hard to know exactly when she’ll wake up.”

 

“I hope she’ll be ok” Cl looked through the window into the room where Dara was still sleeping and Jiyong by her side, “…Jiyong oppa’s having a hard time with all this isn’t he?”

“He’s not showing it but…yeah” TOP replied.

“Oppa, did you find out who broke into the house?” Cl asked.

“We’ve got some finger prints, we’re just running them to see if they match anyone’s on the system” TOP said looking at JIyong and Dara, “We’ll get them soon enough.”

 

“Guys I have to get back to work” Bom reached for CL’s arm, “I’ll see you later-“

 

“Bom wait” Top stopped her. Bom sighed in annoyance and glared at him. “Look I know you’re still mad-“

 

“Oh you know?” Bom asked sarcastically, “That’s great, well done TOP you’re actually using your brain for once.”

 

Top rubbed the back of his neck, “Listen, I’m sorry. I should have known your dad would have gone crazy-“

 

“This is got nothing to do with my father” Bom retorted, “This is about you and how you think you can do whatever you want, which is fine as long as it doesn’t affect me.”

“He’s letting you do the interview isn’t he” Top tried to reason with her, “You’ve finally got a chance to do what you want.”

 

Bom scoffed annoyed, “You have no idea-“

 

*ring ring* *ring ring* Bom looked at her phone screen and paused, not picking up. TOP peered at the screen, “Aren’t you going to pick up?”

 

Bom startled slightly and cleared before picking up, “…Shiwon oppa…”

 

Top furrowed his brows, “Oppa?”

 

Bom ignored him and smiled weakly, “How have you been?...neh? Tonight?...um I guess I can make it….arasso, I’ll see you at 8.” Bom hung up and exhaled deeply.

 

 Cl quickly rushed to her side, “Shiwon oppa? Isn’t that-HMPH” Bom clasped her hand over Cl’s mouth and eyed at the guys before dragging CL off with her.

 

“Shiwon?” Top mumbled to himself as he watched the girls hurry down the corridor.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

“Shiwon?!” Cl gasped, “You can’t be serious. Haven’t we been through this before?!”

 

Bom groaned and hit her head on the table, “If I date him, appa said he’ll let me do the paediatrics interview-“

 

“Oh god Bom-ah!” Cl cried out, “Get a hold of yourself. Do you know what you’re saying right now?”

 

“He’s not that bad Cl” Bom shrugged.

 

“Yeah sure he’s not bad except for the fact that he’s boring as hell!” CL rolled her eyes at her in annoyance, “I can’t believe you sometimes. You do realise your evil father is just doing this to make your life miserable. He knows you don’t like him and yet he’s forcing you to date this guy just because he’s a friend’s son.”

“He’s a nice guy, and he likes me” Bom sighed, “Who knows, things might be different this time…”

 

“You keep telling yourself that” CL mumbled not understanding how her friend could be so stupid. Sure the guy was decent, I mean his definition of fun was reading books on cockroaches and all those weird creepy crawly things. And oh on his days off he liked to talk to his plants because he thought that people became plants in their afterlife so he considered them his friends…yeah he was a decent (STRANGE!!!!) guy. Cl shook her head and sighed deeply, she had to save Bom somehow otherwise knowing Bom, she would marry the guy if her father told her to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Jiyong here” Taeyang handed him the files he’d asked for.

 

Jiyong rubbed his eyes tiredly and sat up before looking at Dara. He turned to Taeyang and took the files, “How are things at the office?”

 

“We’re doing fine. I informed our clients in Macau and they’re sending someone to close the deal here which is great news. But…it’d be better if you were back at the office” Taeyang said quietly.

 

“Not until Dara wakes up” he replied and looked through the files.

 

“She’s fine here” Taeyang sat beside him, “You being here isn’t going to make her wake up any faster. Come on Jiyong think practically.”

 

“Did you correct the error in the Jeju contract?” Jiyong asked, ignoring Taeyang’s comment.

 

“Yes” Taeyang sighed before looking at Dara one last time, “…she’s going to be fine Ji.”

 

 

“I was meant to look after her…” Jiyong said finally as he looked up at her, “I promised her I’d protect her.”

 

“You didn’t know this was going to happen” Taeyang shook his head.

 

“Then why do I feel so guilty about it?” he asked looking at Dara with creased brows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sure its them Jongsuk hyung” Sukjin kept his head low as he told the older man everything he’d seem back at the hospital.

 

“…Park Bom…” Jongsuk repeated slowly as he rubbed his beard, “well this is interesting.”

 

“Hyung with Dara’s help they’ll be able to catch us” Sukjin seemed more worried than his hyung, “What are we going to do?”

 

Jongsuk laughed at that, “What is Dara ever going to be able to do to us?”

 

“But hyung-“ he quietened down when Jongsuk stood up.

 

“Lee Chaerin…Park Bom and Dara…” Jongsuk grinned to himself, “Things are going to get interesting…you just wait.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here” Seungri handed CL coffee and then sat down next to her. She eyed him suspiciously and then examined the coffee carefully. Seungri frowned and snatched the coffee back, “If you don’t it then don’t have it.”

 

CL rolled her eyes at his behaviour, “When are you going to make your mind up?”

 

“About?” he asked as he drank his coffee.

 

“Whether you want to play the bad guy or the good guy. You can only be one” CL folded her arms across her chest.

 

“I’m…neither” Seungri replied.

 

“That’s great” Cl said sarcastically, “Just fantastic Seungri.”

 

“Which one do you want me to be then?” he asked her.

 

“Obviously the good guy!” CL exclaimed, “I prefer you when you’re not trying to take over my company and when you just try to help me.”

 

“I can be both” Seungri shrugged.

 

“No, no you can’t” CL shook her head, “Because by trying to ruin me you’re not helping and that means you’re the bad guy.”

 

“Then I’m the bad guy” he replied bluntly.

 

“No!” CL stopped him, “But you’ve helped me more than I wanted you to and that…that means you’re a good guy” she looked at him curiously, “unless…you want me to think you’re a good guy and then you’re going to stab me in the back…”

 

Seungri stood up now and handed her coffee back, “Think what you want CL”

 

CL watched him walk off and sighed heavily, “Boy problems argh…and he's not even my boyfried!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

“Thank you for your cooperation” Daesung and Top shook the restaurant manager. They had been called over to a restaurant that night due to a robbery incident, “As soon as we look through the CCTV tapes and find something we’ll get back to you.”

 

“Thank you” the manager bowed and returned to his customers.

 

“Man I’m tired” Daesung yawned loudly and turned around, “Oh…isn’t that Bom?”

 

“Bom?” Top looked around and he smiled brightly when he saw Bom and what looked like a date, “Is she on a date?”

 

“Hyung, don’t disturb them-“

 

“Yah” Top handed him the tapes, “You go ahead, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Hyung chincha leave the poor girl alone” Daesung shook his head, “Hyung!”

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

“Well look who we have here” 

 

Bom furrowed her brows and groaned immediately, she didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. Top pulled a chair over and sat down, “Mind if I join you two?”

 

“Yes!” Bom glared at him while SHiwon looked on confused.

 

“Are you on a date?” Top whispered teasingly making Bom roll her eyes at him, he turned back to Shiwon, “You must be Shiwon…oppa” Top looked back at Bom and emphasised the word oppa.

 

“Neh…and you are?” he asked Top.

 

“Hey, I’m Top” Top held shook Shiwon’s hand, “Bom’s friend-“

 

“Ex friend!” Bom pointed out,” EX!”

 

“I was just passing by and I saw Bom here on her little date and I just had to come over to say hi” Top smiled teasingly at Bom.

 

“How thoughtful of you” Bom said sarcastically and gulped her drink down, "No go."

 

“So Shiwon” Top turned his attention to him, “What do you do for a living?”

 

“This isn’t one of your interrogation rooms Top” Bom muttered through gritted teeth but Top just ignored her.

 

“Well um actually I’m an entomologist” he smiled, “I…um well I guess you could say I study different types of fascinating insects and other specimens.” Top’s face fell and he gave Bom a ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’ look. Bom cleared and looked away and poured herself another drink.

 

“That sounds…um…interesting?” Top said although it came out as a question.

 

“Well yes” Shiwon straightened his glasses, “I think so any way. Actually I was just telling Bom about our latest findings in the Amazon, we discovered what seems to be 1000 years of untouched dung beetle faeces-“

 

“AHAHAHAHHAHAH-“, Top burst into laughter and immediately realised what Shiwon wasn’t joking. His eyes shifted to Bom who looked like she was about to die on the spot, he quickly cleared his throat and looked back at Shiwon, “Sorry…I um…”

 

Shiwon smiled back looking slightly hurt, “…it’s ok. I guess it isn’t really table talk…”

 

“No no” Top shook his head trying not to laugh, “Carry on, it was getting…interesting?”

 

Bom glared at him again and then placed her hand on Shiwon’s hand which didn’t go unnoticed by Top, “Shiwon oppa, I think what you do is very interesting.” Shiwon visibly blushed and quickly got his handkerchief out to wipe his face.

 

“Enough of me” Shiwon smiled nervously, “What about you Top? Do you work at the hospital too?”

 

“No I’m a police officer” Top shook his head casually.

 

Shiwon sat upright and slammed his hands on the table surprising both Top and Bom, “Do you get to carry your own gun?”

 

Top nodded slowly.

 

“I always wanted to be in the force” Shiwon laughed goofily, “But my eyes aren’t very good, and I could never do more than 10 sit ups in a minute so I couldn’t really get in.”

 

“Only 10 sit ups? Really?” Top raised a brow in shock.

 

“Having a perfectly chiselled body isn’t everything” Bom subconsciously pointed at Top’s body, “Brains and a personality is actually something girls find more attractive.”

 

“Which girl is this?” Top asked and suddenly realised he was being rude to Shiwon again. He actually seemed like a decent guy, just not decent for Bom if that made sense. He took out his gun and put it on the table in front of Shiwon.

 

“OH MY GOD!” Shiwon reeled back stunned, “A Glock 22!!” he grabbed the gun before Top could stop him.

 

“That's just to look at no-“

 

*BANG*

 

“SH!T!” Top shouted when Shiwon shot a hole on the ceiling above him. Shiwon dropped the gun on the floor and held his hand in the air while all the customers screamed and hid under the tables thinking it was a shootout. Bom hid her face behind her bag wanting the ground to swallow her up.

 

 

 

 

 

10 minutes later.

 

 

“Sorry again” Top apologised to the manager and stepped out where Shiwon and Bom were waiting for him.

 

“I am…am so sorry Top” Shiwon stuttered while Top smiled meekely.

 

“It’s ok, it’s my fault I shouldn’t have shown you the gun in the first place.”

 

“Will we get into trouble?” Shiwon asked nervously, “I…I can pay for the damage.”

 

“Chill!” Top raised his voice but when he saw Bom look at him he sighed and lowered his voice, “Really it’s ok Shiwon. You should go home though.”

 

“Ah yes yes of course” he turned to Bom,” Bom I’ll drop you off.”

 

“Actually oppa, I've got my car” Bom smiled apologetically, “But thank you for a …um…lovely evening.”

 

Shiwon blushed again, “…maybe we can do this again Bom-ah?”

 

Bom smiled and nodded, “Sure oppa” she hugged his tightly and stepped back, “…oppa?” she asked when he looked like he was going to faint on the spot.

 

“Oh god” Top moaned under his breath, this guy really was something.

 

“Oppa?”

 

“Huh?” Shiwon snapped back to reality and smiled brightly, “I’ll see you then, and Top it was great meeting you too.”

 

Top nodded and cringed when Shiwon nearly tripped over his own feet as he was leaving. When he looked back at Bom, he startled slightly when he saw her throwing death glares at him, “What?”

 

“What?” Bom asked, “Did you just say what??!”

 

Top rubbed the back of his neck, “Ok so I shouldn’t have interrupted your little lovey dovey date.”

 

“It wasn’t a lovey dovey date ok!” Bom rummaged through her bag for the keys as she started to walk away.

 

“What was it if it wasn’t a date?” Top nudged her, “I didn’t really think a guy like that would be your type”

 

“A guy like that?” Bom rolled her eyes, “Shiwon oppa is a better guy than you’ll ever be.”

 

“Maybe” Top put his hands in his pockets and walked beside Bom, “I’ll never be boring as him too-“

 

“Stop it!” Bom snapped at him.

 

“Ok sorry” Top pretended to zip his mouth shut, “….but seriously only 10 situps in a minute?”

 

“Top!” Bom glared at him to shut it again. She walked abit faster to her car and opened the door before getting in. As she was starting the engine Top sat in the passenger seat, “What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“Getting a lift home” Top smiled cheekily.

 

Bom banged her head on the steering wheel and then calmed herself down, “You know what, I give up.” She started the car and pretended like Top wasn’t there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara laid on her bed and continued to watch Jiyong sleep on the chair by her bedside. She’d been awake for a while now and after realising where she was she’d calmed herself down. Mostly it was Jiyong’s presence that calmed her down, and for the first time she didn’t like it. She replayed her last moments with him and it hurt her that even when he didn’t want to look after her, when he was trying to get away from her he had no choice but to look after her.

 

He looks tired…that’s all she could think of just looking at him. He looked like he hadn’t slept in days, she could see the bags under his eyes, dark stubble from not having shaved, his hair was ruffled messily…but one thing that pained her more than it should was his hand over hers. She must have really scared him, after all she was his responsibility.

 

JIyong suddenly stirred awake and rubbed his face tiredly before looking at Dara. He froze when he saw her blankly looking at him. He got up and hovered over her, “Dara? You’re awake!” he turned to go and call the doctor but Dara held his hand tightly. He turned back and looked at her questioningly.

 

Dara parted her lips but nothing came out, instead she let go of his hand and turned away from him. Jiyong paused for a moment before running out to call the doctor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Someone tapped Minzy’s shoulder while she was at the nurse station. She turned around and rolled her eyes when she realised it was Young deuk.

“Hi” he smiled at her.

 

“Bye” Minzy closed the patient file and started walking away.

 

“Wait” he suddenly reached for her hand and Minzy gaped at him wide eyed.

 

“What are you doing?” she hissed as the other staff eyed them. “Let go, people are watching.”

 

Young deuk smiled again and placed a chocolate bar on top of her file, “Don’t work too hard.”  Minzy blinked and looked at him as he waved bye to her and ran off. She smiled weakly at the other staff who were whispering now. But when she looked down at the chocolate bar, she couldn’t help but smile from within.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, we came as soon as we heard” Bom and Top rushed to Taeyang, “She’s awake?”

 

“Yeah, the doctor’s with her now” Taeyang replied as Bom ran into the room.

 

“How is she?” Top asked Taeyang.

 

“She’s a bit confused but the doctor said that’s because she hurt her head pretty bad.”

 

“And Ji?”

 

“He’s in there too” Taeyang replied and walked into the room with Top.

 

 

 

“Hey dara” Bom smiled and sat down beside her, “How are you feeling?”Dara nodded slowly as a reply. “You had a pretty nasty fall, but don’t worry you’re going to be fine now” Bom gently placed her hand on Dara’s hand. Dara held onto her hand and looked at her anxiously, “…what’s wrong honey?”

 

Dara fretted slightly and looked up at Top, “…they…”

 

“They?” Top walked over while Jiyong stood at the side looking at Dara with an anxious look in his eyes.

 

 

“Hey what’s wrong?” Taeayng asked Jiyong when he noticed.

 

“She won’t look at me…” Jiyong said with furrowed brows.

 

“Who? Dara?” taeyang asked.

 

“Since she woke up…she hasn’t looked at me once” JIyong said shaking his head slightly, “She hasn’t said a word to me.”

 

 

 

 

“They dara?” Top asked Dara.

 

Dara gulped nervously, “…it was…they…I…”

 

“Calm down Dara its ok” Bom held Dara’s hand tightly.

 

Dara shook her head, “…they…it was them…they were inside the house.”

 

“The same men that were after you?” Top asked.

 

Dara nodded quickly as her breathing sharpened, “…they….they…I….”

 

“Dara please calm down honey” Bom tried to lie her down, “get some rest we can talk about this tomorrow.”

 

Dara shook her head, “no…they…were I…they were after me…they want to take me back” she stuttered nervously as she started to panic. Seeing this Jiyong rushed to her side and immediately Dara grabbed onto his arm, “they…wanted to take me….I…they’re going to take me-“

 

“No one’s going to take you” Jiyong turned her to face him, “No one can do anything to you anymore, I’m here.” Dara looked up when he said that, her brows furrowed slightly and realised how tightly she was holding him. She let go of his arm and looked away slowly. Jiyong looked down at his bare arm and he stepped back. He must have truly hurt her for her to react that way. If only she knew why he had to do what he did.

 

“Dara” Bom held her hand, “Don’t think too much about it. You need to rest.”

 

Dara looked at her frightened, “You don’t understand…they’re going to take me and no one can stop them. Please you have to help me-ahh” she suddenly grabbed her head in pain.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jiyong asked worriedly but Dara closed her eyes and tried to take deep breaths.

 

“Dara lay down” Bom helped her lie down, “You’re not well enough…you need to rest. We’ll talk about this tomorrow ok.” Dara turned to her side and curled her knees close to her before closing her eyes. After a while that worried expression disappeared and she looked peaceful again. Bom noticed how anxious Jiyong looked and she walked up to him, “This is normal. She’ll be in and out of consciousness for a day or two but after that she’ll be fine.”

 

Jiyong nodded grateful that it wasn’t something to worry too much about. He went back to his chair and sat back down again, waiting for her to wake up once again.