Memories

ONLY YOU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning Bom tiredly walked into the lounge when she stepped on something. She rubbed her eyes and looked down to find a crumpled paper on the floor, she picked it up and opened it before sighing.

 

Don’t be late, I’ll be waiting for you downstairs.

 

Bom looked up at the hole and sighed heavily before throwing the paper in the bin. 

 

*ring ring* Bom felt her heart sink when she saw Shiwon was calling. “…neh oppa?”

 

“Bom-ah” Shiwon greeted her warmly, “Are you ready for out date today? I was thinking maybe we could go to the park or…maybe go catch a movie, anything you want.”

 

Bom sat down on the sofa, “um…I don’t mind oppa” to be honest they were perfectly normal activities to do with someone, but why did she feel like she didn’t want to do them with him. She knew she was just making herself believe that she could actually like Shiwon like this, but she wasn’t ready to admit it.

 

“Oh ok…what time should I pick you up then?”

 

Bom looked around the room and her eyes landed on the bin she’d just thrown the paper in. She bit her lip hesitantly.

 

“Bom?”

 

“Huh?” Bom realised she was still on the phone, “Sorry oppa what did you say?”

 

“I asked when you wanted to be picked up?”

 

“Um…” Bom’s eyes fell on the bin once again.

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Minzy you’re needed in ward 3 this morning” the senior nurse handed her the file and went on to order the rest of the nurses. Minzy flipped through the file and started heading towards the ward when she saw Young deuk at the far end of the corridor. She smiled immediately and nearly called out his name before realising what she was about to do and clamped closed with her hand. She hid behind a slightly open door and watched him as he talked to a patient and before she knew it she caught herself smiling again as she watched him.

She raised her file to hide her face and peered from it to look at him again. She exhaled deeply as she watched him help the patient into his wheel chair. Minzy face fell and she sighed, what she was dreading was happening. "I'm falling for him aren't I?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top checked his watch and frowned, it was nearly half 8. She wasn’t going to come was she? He sighed with disappointment and started the car.

 

“Looks like it’s just you and me” he patted the steering wheel of the car before starting to reverse the car, he looked behind him and suddenly screeched the car to a stop when he saw Bom jump out of nowhere. “Bom?!”

 

Bom ran to the passenger side as Top wound the window down, “You were going to leave without me?” she asked through deep panting.

 

He smiled brightly at her as she got into the car, “So what excuse did you tell Mr Ant?”

 

“I didn’t, I just told him the truth” Bom replied bluntly as she put her seat belt on.

 

“Uhuh” Top smirked as he restarted his car.

 

“Ok…maybe I left you out of it and maybe I kind of didn’t tell him I wouldn’t be at the hospital too” Bom looked away guiltily.

 

“You’re learning fast Park Bom” Top ruffled her hair.

 

Bom leaned away and hit his hand back, “Are you going to tell me where we’re going now?”

 

“You’ll find out soon enough” Top smiled brightly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong sat outside on the bench outside Dara’s room. He leaned back and stared at the wall as staff and patients passed by him.

 

't feels strange here whenever you’re close by…' she held onto her heart, 'When I first met you…and when you helped me' Dara looked around trying to figure things out herself, 'when you gave me the drawing book…and when you gave me that dress and when you carried me home…and now…now it’s happening again' she shook her head and looked at him for answers, 'Why is it like this with you only?'

 

He rubbed his forehead tiredly and started noticing all the little signs that had always been there. How she smiled whenever he was around, how she placed a pillow under his head when he fell asleep in his studio, how she kissed his cheek that night, how she trusts him more than anyone else in this world… and last night, what she said. He closed his eyes and leaned his head on the wall behind him, could it be that…she was falling for him?

 

*ring ring* Jiyong rummaged for his phone and answered the call, “What is it Tae?”

 

“You need to get to the office.”

 

“Just send the files that need to be looked over to the hospital-“

 

“It’s not me that wants you, it’s the she devil” Taeyang informed him.

 

Jiyong grimaced and stood up slowly, “Can you not handle her? She’s your ex after all.”

 

“No, I can’t that’s why I’m calling you. A moment longer with her and I might just ruin our Macau deal. So if you care even a little about your company, just get here!” Taeyang raised his voice and hung up on Jiyong.

 

 

 

“You need to go?”

 

Jiyong turned around to find dara leaning against the door. “What are you doing out of bed?!”

 

Dara held onto Jiyong when he rushed over to her, “It’s tiring staying in bed all day…can’t I just have a little walk around please?”

 

“No” he replied bluntly in his usual way.

 

“But” she held onto his arm tightly, “I-“

 

“I need to go to the office for a couple of hours, once I’m back we’ll go for a walk arasso. Now just go back to bed.” He tried to guide her back but she stood there, he furrowed his brows at her.

 

She looked down for a moment before taking a deep breath, “I…I can go on my own. Don’t worry…go to work, I can walk on my own.” Jiyong’s face fell slightly. Ever since the incident, she kept bringing the same thing up. Even if it wasn’t direct, it was obvious she was pushing him away and he didn’t like it at all. What he thought he wanted had come true, it just turned out to be something he didn’t want after all. Dara slowly let go of his arm and held onto the door instead. Jiyong looked at his bare arm slightly confused. “I’ll be ok here without you…” He looked up as she said this and he felt a kind of fear run through him, a kind he’d never experienced before.

 

 

“Dara unnie” Minzy hurried towards the two, “What are you doing out of bed?”

 

“Minzy” Dara smiled. Jiyong stepped back slightly still in a daze.

 

“Unnie you should really get back to bed.”

 

Dara bit her lip and looked at Minzy hesitantly, “…actually…I was wondering, I mean if I’m allowed to…could I walk around for a bit?”

 

“Are you sure you’re ready unnie?” Minzy asked holding onto Dara, “Don’t rush yourself, you hurt yourself pretty badly.”

 

Dara nodded, “I’m sure…maybe you could help me…if you don’t mind?”

 

JIyong looked up at this, she always asked him for help first before.

 

“I don’t mind at all unnie, let me get you some crutches and we can take a stroll around the garden?” Minzy smiled at her. Dara nodded happily while Jiyong looked at her saddened for some reason.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Will you stop smiling like that please?” Bom sighed. Top had this big silly grin since she got in the car 2 hours ago.

 

“Sorry” he straightened his face but 2 seconds later the grin was back.

 

Bom rolled her eyes at him,” Is it really that big of a deal that I lied to Shiwon oppa?”

 

“It’s not a big deal to normal people” Top answered, “But you’re not normal are you?”

 

“I’m not normal? I’m not?!” Bom pointed at herself, “Have you seen yourself? You’re the biggest anomaly I know! A total alien.”

 

“I didn’t say behind different was a bad thing” he shrugged, “Don’t you think normal is boring anyway?”

 

“Well if it’s different like you, then I’d rather be a boring normal person” Bom huffed and looked out the window.

 

“I don’t know why you pretend to hate me so much” Top smiled as he turned his attention to the road in front of him.

 

“I’m not pretending” Bom replied bluntly.

 

“Then why did you ditch Ant man for me today?” Top nudged her making Bom look out the window wide eyed.

 

“…yah…I…I was just curious about where you were taking me that’s all” she mumbled and stared at the park they were passing by. She smiled at the children playing there when suddenly her face suddenly turned pale.

 

“You keep telling yourself that” Top replied, “But we both know you can’t live without me. But who could live without me…Bom?” he asked when he realised she was sitting there staring out the window in complete silence, “Bom?”

 

“…stop the car…”

 

“What?” he furrowed his brows.

 

Bom turned around to face him, “Please…stop the car.” Top furrowed his brows at her, why did she suddenly look so nervous and anxious.

 

“What is it?” he asked slowly. Bom didn’t reply and stepped out of the car.  “Yah Bom?” he called out to her but she just walked forward along the empty road looking around, “Aish, what is she doing now?” he stepped out of the car and followed her.

 

Bom stopped and looked down a familiar road. She took a step to cross the road when Top suddenly pulled her back. “Yah there are cars coming!” Top shouted, “What’s wrong?”

 

“…this place” Bom whispered, “I know this place…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CL stepped out of her car and walked towards the hotel when she saw Seungri waiting for her by the entrance. She grimaced and quickened her pace and walked past him.

 

“CL!”

 

“I have nothing to say to you” CL replied bluntly as she entered the lobby. Seungri suddenly grabbed her hand and spun her around. “I said I have nothing to say to you!”

 

“Then listen to me” Seungri raised his voice making the employees look up at the two. He finally let go of her hand and raked his hair with his fingers, “I’ve thought it through…and it doesn’t make sense how I’ve waited 10 years to get my revenge and when I’m finally at a position where I can do just that, I…I”

 

“You what?” Cl asked impatiently.

 

“I don’t want to” Seugnri exhaled. Cl looked up at him wide eyed. “And that’s what I didn’t understand. How could my heart just change like that? For my mother I have to do it…but I don’t want to do it anymore either. Do you know why?” CL furrowed her brows and looked at Seungri with surprise unable to say anything. “My heart’s wavering…because..” he shook his head and looked at CL finally, “because of you.”

 

Cl’s eyes fluttered and she held her breath in, “…what…what are you saying?”

 

“That the only explanation I can think is…” he sighed, “…I…nothing else seems to be it…”

 

“What?” Cl asked finally, “What is it?”

 

“Don’t you see? He asked, “I like you, that’s the reason.”

 

CL heard the employees gasp while she stood there stunned to silence. How could a guy planning to ruin her life suddenly be interested in her?

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top looked at a large old, deserted house in front of them. You could barely see the house with all the overgrown bushes and grass. All the curtains were drawn, cobwebs were covering the windows and reminants of the roof were lying on the ground. Bom slowly stepped forward to the locked gate and touched the gate with her hand.

 

“Bom? I don’t think we can go in, it’s locked-“ he stopped when he saw Bom get on her knees and start digging behind the heavy grown bushes, “What are you doing?” Bom ignored him and put her hand deep inside a hole by the wall of the gates, she grimaced as she searched for something.

Top rubbed the back of his neck and looked around to make sure no one was watching. He turned around just as Bom pulled out a small box. She smiled and wiped the mud off it before opening it to reveal a key. He looked at her strangely and looked back at the house before realising this was her home.

Bom stood up and unlocked the rusty lock before pushing the iron gates open, she then slowly looked down at her feet. It had been 18 years since she came here. 18 years since she’d been back home. But her feet wouldn’t move, she was too scared. She almost felt guilty, this was her home, a place where she was happy. But she’d left this place without a look back, she’d left the 6 year old Bom here. Bom slowly looked up at the house with misty eyes and wavered on the spot.

Suddenly Top stood beside her and gently held her hand. She looked down at their hands and took a deep breath. Even if she was scared, at least she wasn’t alone. She looked up and saw Top smiling reassuringly at her, he held her hand tightly and looked back at the house. “You ready?”

 

Bom nodded slowly and took a step in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sohyun turned around when Jiyong entered his office followed by Taeyang. She smiled at the two and stood up casually. “Sohyun shi” JIyong nodded at her grimly, he really wasn’t interested in being her little toy while she was staying here.

 

Sohyun pouted and walked over to Jiyong before lacing her arm around his, she quickly glanced at Taeyang who grimaced at her. She smirked and turned her attention to Jiyong, “Jiyong shi, I was hoping you could show me around Seoul.”

“You’re Korean” he replied bluntly making Sohyun deflate slightly. He then swiftly took her arm off him and walked over to his desk.

 

Sohyun cleared and sat on the chair opposite to him, “It’s just I haven’t been back in Korea for so long I’ve forgotten the place.”

 

Jiyong glared at Taeyang who in turn was burning holes in the back of Sohyun’s head with his death stare.

 

“It’s something that would make me very…very happy” she leaned over and smiled at him flirtatiously.

 

Jiyong sighed and finally agreed, “A car will come to pick you up later” he then stood up, “Now excuse me, I have work to do.”

 

Sohyun smiled victoriously and walked over to Taeyang, she turned to make sure Jiyong wasn’t looking and then pretended to straighten Taeyang’s tie for him, “Jealous?”

 

Taeyang gritted his teeth and didn’t reply.

 

“Looks like I still have an effect on you Taeyang. I can get anything and anyone I want, even you. Don't you ever forget that.”, she smirked before walking out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom opened the heavy front door and peered in. She startled slightly and stepped back when a few birds flew out of the house through a broken window. After a moment she stepped in and she looked around slowly. Top swiped a few spider webs away as he followed Bom in. “Wow, this place…”

Everything was covered with old white sheets, some of the curtains had fallen and the whole place was covered in a thick layer of dust. Nothing had been touched since she left all those years ago. Bom walked in more and removed the sheets. She coughed slightly and paused when she revealed a small wooden horse. She smiled sadly and kneeled in front of it before tracing her hand over it.

 

Top saw this and walked over to her. He kneeled beside her and looked at her quietly.

 

“…my…dad made this for me…” she stuttered slightly as she wiped the dust away from it, “he liked building things.”

 

Top nodded quietly and kept his eyes on her. Bom looked away when she felt her tears welling up, but she stopped when she caught sight of something else. She slowly stood up and walked over to the fire place. Top furrowed his brows for a moment before walking to her.

 

Bom picked up a photo frame and blew the dust away revealing a family picture of her with her parents. Her lips suddenly quivered and a drop of tear fell onto the picture.

 

 

“I remember them…” Top said quietly. Bom looked up at him sadly, “I remember seeing them at the police station the day…you were kidnapped.”

 

Bom quickly wiped her tears before Top could see and placed the photo in her bag before turning towards the stairs. Top watched quietly as she walked up the stairs and after a while followed her up the creaky steps.

 

 

 

Bom stopped at the top and eyed the closed door at the far end of the corridor. Her hands touched the wall beside her and she traced it gently as she walked towards the closed door.

Top watched her curiously as she wiped dust off something on the door. She suddenly turned to him and smiled sadly and looked back at the door. Top walked over and saw that it was a sign. It read ‘Princess Bom’s Castle’ in very wonky and child-like writing, obviously Bom’s. Top smiled at this, “Even back then you were high maintenance.”

 

Bom smiled slightly at the comment and reached for the door handle. It felt rough pushing it down after all the years it had been left untouched and Bom pushed a bit more to open the door. It opened a creek and she peered in before opening fully. She stepped into the room and looked around at the white sheets covering everything here too. She started pulling the sheets off them and Top followed. After everything was uncovered she stepped back to stand next to Top and looked around again, “It’s just the same…”

 

“You haven’t been back since that day?” Top asked as Bom walked over to her bed and picked up an old doll.

 

Bom shook her head, “I couldn’t bring myself to come here after what happened” she sat gently on the bed and traced her hand on the bed, “It felt…wrong to come here without them so I left it as it was.” She looked up at the slightly discoloured ceiling, “I couldn’t bring myself to come here…and I couldn’t bring myself to sell it.”

 

“What made you come today then?” he asked watching her.

 

“Because you’re here” she looked at him, “I didn’t really have anyone I could have come with before…” At that moment, he felt that same feeling he had before. He felt sad knowing how lonely and vulnerable she was and most of all how much she relied on him without her even knowing it. “It feels so strange…” she looked over at the door now with teary eyes, “I feel like omma and appa are going to walk through that door any moment.”

 

Top felt his heart pain slightly at how Bom kept staring at the door as if she was actually waiting for her parents to come back. He walked over and sat down next to her, “I kind of hope they don’t, it’ll be awkward if they found a guy in here with you.”

Bom looked up at him for a moment before smiling at his joke. Top sighed with relief slightly, it was always better to see Park Bom smile than anything else. She cringed her nose slightly and shook her head, “Don’t worry, I think they would have liked you.”

 

Top nodded in agreement and then looked around the room again, “So what did little Park Bom like doing?”

 

Bom hugged her doll close to her and looked up dreamily, “She liked to play with her dolls”

 

“That’s a given” Top nodded again and watched her as she continued.

 

“She liked to play tricks on her parents” she smiled mischievously at this, “Appa was scared of spiders so I would place fake spiders on his pillow and when he woke up it would be the first thing he saw. I think he might have out once because of that” Bom furrowed her brows trying to remember making Top laugh out.

 “She liked to pretend she was both the princess and the knight who had to rescue the princess” Bom added, “I was the only child you see, ah but I used to make appa the dragon and we’d run around the whole house with me stabbing him with a fork and him pretending to breath fire on me. We always got told off by omma because the house would always be a mess if it was just appa and I.” Bom smiled brightly while Top watched her amazed at how much she could talk. “But appa and I always knew how to make her happy again, her favourite food was ice cream so we would go out and buy her about 10 tubs of ice cream” she laughed at this before quietening down, “and then…in the evenings we liked to snuggle up together and watch TV. “ She reached to touch her head gently, “omma would kiss me here as I fell asleep…and then…appa would carry me to bed and kiss my cheek before saying goodnight my princess-“ Bom stopped when a tear fell down her cheek. She froze up but before she could wipe her tear away, Top moved closer to her and held her face in his hands before wiping the tear away with his thumb.

 

“She seemed like a cool kid” he said and smiled at her. Bom’s lip quivered slightly and Top frowned before touching her lip and shaking his head at her not to do that.

 

“…I miss them” she finally whispered as he held her.

 

Top sighed and pulled her into his arms, “I know you do.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why is Bom not picking up her phone?!” CL groaned and slammed her phone on the table, “I need to tell her what Seungri said…oh god” she ruffled her hair and banged her head on the table.

 

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, you’re mental enough-“

 

CL looked up and nearly fell back when she saw Seungri sitting opposite her. She looked at the door and then back at him, “How did you get here so fast?”
 

He shrugged, “Want to get some lunch?”

 

“NO!” CL rolled her eyes at him making him chuckle, “What’s so funny?!”

 

“You” he replied simply making her straighten herself.

 

“Look Seungri” she sat up, “I don’t know what that sick mind of yours is playing at…but…but if what you said this morning is true…then, well…I’m not interested so…you know” she looked at him hoping he got the message.

 

He smiled again and nodded, “I get it.”

 

“You do?” CL sighed with relief.

 

“It’s just, for some reason I’m really attracted to girls who don’t like me” he smiled at her.

 

“Huh?” Cl’s face fell.

 

He stood up and leaned across the table making CL lean back, “I mean you’re just making me like you even more right now.”

 

“You make no sense” she mumbled.

 

“Maybe acting interested in me will make me like you less” he said as he leaned back now.

 

“Are you serious?” she gaped at him.

 

“Dead serious” he smiled making her scoff with disbelief.

 

“Why me?” she groaned.

 

“So how about a date?”

 

“How about NO!” she replied before pausing when she saw him smile at her, “You’re enjoying this aren’t you?!”

 

“I told you, the more you resist the more I like you” Seungri shrugged.

 

“Unbelievable” she shook her head, she looked up at him now, “ok let’s just say hypothetically I decided that I said yes to one date…what then? Will you stop trying to ruin my company?”

 

“ No, I'll ask you on another” he replied.

 

“Ok after that?” she asked again.

 

He furrowed his brows, “I’d ask you again.”

 

“That’s it?” CL shook her head at him, “You’d just go on dates with me until you got bored of me?” He didn’t answer and looked at her curiously. “I get that you’re going to do what you want from now on” CL continued, “But where does that leave me? I just wait for you to get bored of me?”

 

“Who says I’ll get bored of you?” he asked making CL look up at him for a moment.

 

“If you don’t get bored of me…the only other thing is you’ll end up falling in love with me” she said slowly, “And that’s not what you want…” His face fell at this, he stood there staring at her for what seemed like a long time. She was right, he was playing a dangerous game. She was already having an effect on him, what if he really did fall for her?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“We’re here” Top looked out at the beach from the car. Bom numbly looked out and stared at the waves crashing against the sand. Top tried to make conversation, “I used to come here as a kid…” he stopped when he saw that Bom wasn’t really paying any attention anymore. “Bom?”

 

Bom didn’t reply and just kept her eyes on the crashing waves.

 

Top looked out at the sea too, “You know that little girl you were telling me about back at the house” he looked at her, “I’d really like to meet her someday…” he looked at her one last time and stepped out of the car.

 

Bom slowly looked down and her bottom lip quivered as she pulled out the photo she’d taken from the house. In the picture, she was sitting on the grass between her parents and smiling mischievously at the camera. Bom traced her fingers across the photo and just then a drop of tear fell onto it. Bom closed her eyes and held the picture close to her heart.

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

Top tucked his hands into his pockets and kicked a few stones as he stared out to the sea. He regretted all those times he’d begged her to tell him about the kidnapping. Even though she escaped, it seemed like the past just didn’t want to let her go. No matter what she tried, it seemed like it would never be enough. He suddenly looked back when he heard the car door open. He watched as Bom slowly stepped out and walked towards him. She stood by his side and without a word stared out at the sea. Top looked towards the sea too and they stood there in silence until Bom finally spoke up.

 

“I want to…” Bom stopped for a while before speaking again, “I want to meet her too…I want to be me again…I just, I’ve forgotten what she was like…” she looked up at him sadly.

 

Top smiled and held out his hand for her, “She’ll come out with a little help.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sohyun quickly touched up on her makeup as he waited for JIyong to pick her up. She smirked as she thought of Taeyang, he really thought that she’d have no affect on him. This would show him. Suddenly a car arrived in front of her and she put on a sweet smile waiting for JIyong to get out of the car. Only it wasn’t Jiyong, it was his secretary. Her smile vanished as the secretary bowed at her.

 

“Good afternoon Ms Sohyun, sajangnim asked me to take you around Seoul today” she smiled at Sohyun, “Is there anywhere you want to visit today?”

 

Sohyun gritted her teeth and curled her fists into balls in anger.

 

*ring ring* *ring ring* She looked at her phone and grimaced when she saw Taeyang ringing her.

 

“Yoboseyo” she said through gritted teeth.

 

“Oh hi Sohyun” Taeyang answered sarcastically, “I just wanted to know if you were having a good time touring Seoul.”

 

Sohyun took a deep breath and didn’t reply.

 

“I’m sure you are” he continued, “If you need anything, don’t hesitate to call.”

 

“You think this is funny?” she asked angrily.

 

“I don’t know why you’re getting so upset” he smirked, “Jiyong never said he himself would take you around. I guess you don’t have such an effect on men after all. Anyway I have other many many important things to do, so enjoy yourself.”

 

Sohyun looked at her phone in disbelief when he hung up on her. She practically shook with anger, “After all these years you still don’t know me do you. I will get whoever and whatever I want.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

[ Music: Collide by Howie Day]

 

 

 

 

JIyong walked into the hospital garden and caught sight of Dara sitting on the bench by herself. She was watching a small girl sitting on the grass a few feet in front of her. Jiyong furrowed his brows and slowly walked towards her without her realising. He saw Dara smile brightly and peer at something in the little girl’s hands. Jiyong looked at the girl and saw she was making a long chain with daisies. The little girl then linked the chain together and place it on her head so it looked like a crown on her head. He looked back at Dara who was now clasping her hands together in wonder as if the girl had just performed a miracle.

 

“Ji hyun-ah”

 

The girl looked towards the building where her mum was calling from and stood up and ran leaving Dara slightly disappointed. Before Dara could see Jiyong he quickly hid behind a tree and watched her as she slowly got up and walked towards where the girl had been sitting. She sat down with some pain and then slowly picked up two daisies. Jiyong watched curiously as she held the two daisies together in attempt to join them. She pouted when they didn’t link together making JIyong smile. He suddenly looked towards where the girl had gone and back at Dara before walking away.

 

 

 

“…huh? How did she do it?” Dara mumbled as she tried to join the daisies together again but they just fell apart. She sighed and traced the other daisies on the grass, “…I shouldn’t pick you if I don’t know how to make it right?...you’re too pretty to be picked…” she ran her hand through the cool grass and touched the white petals of the daisies with her finger.

 

Her face fell slightly as she remembered how she used to stare at the daisies from inside the house. How she’d yearned just to touch them. She suddenly smiled at the flowers again, but now she could touch them and smell them and be free with them.

 

 

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Dara looked around as Jiyong sat next to her, she smiled brightly and looked down at her hands, “you’re back.”

 

Jiyong cleared his throat uncomfortably, “Yea…there wasn’t much to do at the office.”

 

Dara smiled and nodded before looking back at the daisies, “These are daisies, they’re my fa-“

 

“Favourite” he finished for her making her blink at him, “I know. You told me before.”

 

“I did?” Dara smiled apologetically, “I forgot…sorry.” After a moment of silence between the two Jiyong started rubbing the back of his neck. Dara looked up and pouted, “Does your neck hurt?”

 

“Huh? What?” he looked at her confused, “No.”

 

“Are you sure?” she looked worried, “It must be hurting because you haven’t slept properly for a few days right?”

 

“No” he shook his head and put his hands down, “I’m fine. Really.”

 

Dara looked down at her hands now, she felt bad knowing he must be having a hard time because of her. She couldn’t wait to leave the hospital and become independent so maybe one day it will be her helping him. She looked up at him and saw him rubbing his forehead now. She audibly gasped, “Does your head hurt too?”

 

Jiyong startled slightly and looked at his hand before putting it down, “No I was just-“

 

“My head hurt too and Bom gave me some medicine” Dara said as she started to stand up, “I can share it with you-“

 

“No” Jiyong finally grabbed her hand, “Sit.”

 

“But your head-“

 

“Sit” Jiyong repeated. Dara hesitated before sitting down. JIyong sighed heavily and fidigeted in front of her making Dara worry even more.

 

“Bom said if you’re hurting you should say and not keep it in-“

 

“I’m not hurt!” he finally shouted making Dara look at him wide eyed. He cursed under his breath before pulling something out of his pocket, “Here!”

 

Dara looked down at his hands and blinked at him. Jiyong exhaled loudly, he should have known she was going to do that. He opened his hand and showed her.

Dara looked down again and fell open slightly. Inside his hand was a daisy chain. He’d gone to find the little girl and paid her way too much for a chain of flowers but when he saw Dara’s expression he suddenly didn’t regret getting this for her.

 

“Are you going to keep staring at it or take it?” he said gruffily.

 

Dara slowly looked up at him,” For me?”

 

Jiyong nodded and signalled at her to take it. Dara smiled slowly and hesitantly touched the daisy chain, “It’s so pretty…”

 

“yea” he replied with his gaze on her, “it is…”

 

Dara picked it up gently and looked at it curiously, “Where did you get it from?”

 

“Someone made it for you” he smiled slightly.

 

“For me?” she smiled gratefully, “That’s so sweet…thank you Jiyong.”

 

“It wasn’t me” he replied bluntly.

 

“I know” she titled her head slightly, “But still thank you.”

 

Jiyong rubbed the back of his neck again and quickly took the chain from her, “You put it like this…I think” he gently placed it on her head. Dara giggled and touched her hair before looking up at him. Jiyong suddenly felt breathless, with her white gown, her loosely tousled hair and now a daisy chain over her head like a halo, she looked just like an angel.

 

“How does it look?” she asked smiling.

 

‘…beautiful’ he thought deep within.

 

“Jiyong?” she called out again.

 

He snapped back to reality and tried to look gruff again, “You look like you drank too much and now think you’re a fairy-“

 

“Huh?” she asked not having heard him properly.

 

He sighed and looked away, “You look…ok I guess.”

 

She smiled and blushed at this as fiddled with her fingers, “Why are you so good Jiyong?”

 

“Not this again” he groaned as he tried to stand up but she held onto his hand making him look at her.

 

“No, I mean why are you so good to me?” she asked geniuenly. He sat there in silence and looked at her asking himself that same question.