Change of heart

ONLY YOU

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara shi... I’m so sorry I’m late” Soomi rushed into Dara’s art gallery, “The traffic was a nightmare!”

 

Dara smiled and handed her a cup of coffee, “It’s ok, I just got here too.”

 

“Ah really” Soomi sighed with relief and thanked her for the coffee, “I was hoping we could start from where we left off yesterday?” she asked as she got her voice recorder and note pad out.

Dara nodded as she sipped her coffee “But first I want to ask your opinion on something” she started walking into the main exhibition hall and Soomi curiously followed her.

 

“…oh…wow” Soomi gasped when she saw all the drawings hanging up on the wall, “…these are amazing… Are these for the exhibition?”

 

“Hmm…I wanted to go back to the basics” Dara nodded seriously, “go back to where I started from you know.”

 

“Yes yes” Soomi agreed with her, “I can’t believe I’m getting to see your work before the exhibition…”

 

“Not too plain then?” Dara asked.

 

“Plain?” Soomi exclaimed, “No! They feel…I don’t know but they feel more real that way if that makes any sense.” Dara smiled softly and adjusted the drawings. “When do you think you’ll be ready for the exhibition?” Soomi asked as she carried on looking at the drawings.

 

“In a couple of weeks I guess…” Dara mumbled still paying attention to her drawings.

 

Soomi suddenly stopped in front of a picture and stood there for a long moment in silence, “Is this …him?”

 

Dara turned around and her face fell slightly, she walked over to Soomi slowly, “…hmm.”

 

“Kwon Jiyong” Soomi mouthed quietly as she stared at the drawing of the man that Dara’s life had revolved around, “…he…he looks so…scary” she shuddered suddenly making Dara laugh. Soomi startled slightly not expecting Dara to laugh that way.

 

Dara smiled and shook her head, “I’m sorry, I guess I drew him just right then didn’t I? He was a scary guy.”

 

“I thought you said you weren’t scared of him?” Soomi asked.

 

“I wasn’t scared of him in the sense that I knew he’d never do anything intentionally to hurt me…but that doesn’t mean I was never hurt by him.” Dara explained before walking away, “Shall we start the interview then?”

 

Soomi looked at the drawing on last time before running after Dara.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“HWAH!” CL suddenly sat up in her bed in cold sweat when the memories of last night flashed before her. She hit her head in frustration, “You’re an idiot! How am I meant to face Seungri now?!” She grabbed her pillow and tried to suffocate her screams into it, full of mortification from the night below.

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------

 

 

 

Seungri did his tie in front of the mirror without much thought until he caught his reflection in the mirror. His eyes darted to the cheek where CL’s lips had pretty much fell on. He grimaced and rubbed his cheek roughly and looked back at his tie. “Don’t you dare have those thoughts you idiot” he mumbled to himself, “Don’t you dare Lee Seungri.” But his eyes betrayed him and he looked at the now slightly red area on his cheek and sighed. His hand went up to his cheek and he patted it gently instead.

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Bom walked out of her front door only to have TOP grab her in a head lock. “AH! AHH WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! GET OFF ME!” Bom shouted trying to free herself.

 

“Morning Bom” Top smiled and ruffled her hair, and with her still in a head lock headed downstairs.

 

“AH! YAH!” Bom screamed as they walked down the stairs, “DO YOU HAVE TO BE SUCH A THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING?!”

 

TOP laughed and let her go while she glared at him with what looked like a bird nest on her head, “I love it when you swear!”

 

“What?” Bom stared at him.

 

“Shows you’re actually human and not a workaholic robot” Top put his hands in his pockets.

 

She straightened herself up, “Is this what I get for letting you be my friend?!”

 

“Let? Hey, you’re the one who was practically begging me last night” Top tapped on his cheek where she’d kissed him the night before to remind her.

 

“I was drunk.” Bom replied bluntly.

 

“If you say so” Top shrugged and headed out.

 

“It’s true! I was drunk!” Bom shouted after him.

 

“I’ll see you after work. Keep your evening free- oh wait your evenings are always free” he teased as he got in his car.

 

“HA! HA! Funny Top really funny!” Bom laughed sarcastically as he drove off.

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Dara stepped out of the room and her face immediately fell when she realised she was all alone in the house. She looked up at the clock hanging on the wall and sighed, “…why did he go so early today?” Her eyes slowly fell to her still sprained ankle and she felt herself smiling slowly remembering how he’d helped her yet again. What should have been a frightening evening had somehow changed into a memory that Dara wanted to remember. Everything fearful that night was forgetton because of her moments with Jiyong.

She clutched her shirt, why was she feeling like this suddenly. She didn’t like the feeling because it was something she’d never experienced but at the same time she didn’t want it to go away.

“…maybe I’m sick?” Dara mumbled to herself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“! Oh god you scared me!” Taeyang jumped back when he saw Jiyong sitting in the office in the dark, he quickly turned the lights on and turned back, “What the hell are you doing in the dark?” Jiyong kept his gaze fixed on the wall opposite him and didn’t answer. “Did you sleep here?” Taeyang asked as he walked up to Jiyong.

 

JIyong rubbed his face with his hands and leaned back on the sofa in the middle of the office.

 

“JIyong?” Taeyang asked again.

 

“I’ll go to Macau” Jiyong suddenly said.

 

“Macau?” Taeyang looked confused, “Why suddenly-“

 

“Didn’t you want me to?” JIyong snapped back, “Get me the first flight to Macau. The sooner the better.”

 

“Ok, ok.” Taeyang backed away, “I’ll book a flight for tomorrow morning-“

 

“No” JIyong raked his hair with his fingers, “Tonight. It has to be tonight. Get a flight for tonight.”

 

“You haven’t prepared-“

 

“Just do it Taeyang!” JIyong growled.

 

Taeyang now furrowed his brows, “…this isn’t to do with Dara is it?” Jiyong’s eyes fluttered slightly now. That simple little kiss had made him realise just how comfortable he was being with Dara. He couldn’t have it that way. He’s not meant to change, because changing back to how he was will only cause pain. He had to distance himself from her, for her sake.

 

“Just get the flight ready and tell our clients in Macau I’ll be at the meeting tomorrow morning.” Jiyong sighed before walking out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey Bom, the residency interview schedules are out” one of Bom’s collegue called out to her as she walked into the staff room.

 

“Really?” Bom smiled half-heartedly knowing full well that a life in the Neurology department was going to be hell.

 

“You should go get yours from the Paediatrics dep too” her collegue said while looking at his schedule.

 

“I’m not trying for the paediatrics dep” she mumbled as she placed her coat in the locker.

 

“Then why is your name on the interview list there?” he asked with raised brows, “I saw it when I was there this morning.”

 

Bom looked back at him confused, “What are you on about?”

 

“It’s true, I saw your name on the list there.”

 

Bom eyes widened and she quickly grabbed her white coat before running out of there.

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------

 

 

 

 

“Dr Song!” Bom shouted once she saw her sunbae in the Paed’s department.

 

“Oh Bom-ah” Dr Song smiled, “Are you here for your interview schedule?”

 

“I didn’t apply for paediatrics” Bom shook her head, “I handed my form into the Neurology dep sunbae.”

 

Dr Song furrowed her brows and walked to her office with Bom following her. “Then what’s this?” Dr Song picked Bom’s application from a pile and handed it to Bom.

She looked at the scrunched up application paper, “But…I threw this away…”

 

“I don’t know what’s going on, but I want you to be prepared for the interview-“

 

“You don’t understand sunbae, I didn’t hand this in” Bom tried to explain, “I’ve already applied to the Neurolgy dep.”

 

Dr Song shook her head, “That’s impossible Bom. I’ve seen all the lists for the departments and your name is nowhere but on the Paediatrics list…I thought you’d be happy?” Bom looked back down at her application. Happy? The only thought she had was, how was she going to face her father?

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Miss Lee, Mr Lee is here to see you-“

 

“I’M NOT HERE!” CL suddenly stood up and shook her head at her secretary, “Tell him I’m not here-“

 

“Too late” Seungri strolled in and CL quickly sat down pretending like nothing was wrong.

 

“What do you want?” Cl muttered as she pretended to sign some important documents.

 

Seungri cleared his throat slightly, “How are you feeling today?”

 

CL looked at him and stared at him for a long moment before speaking, “What?”

 

“I asked how you are.” Seugnri replied bluntly, “You know you were pretty impressive last night.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re on about” Cl shook her head, “I forget everything I do when I’m drunk, miane.”

 

“Oh is that so?” Seungri nodded, “So you don’t remember saying you were going to hand the company over to me-“

 

“I DID NO SUCH THING!” Cl protested.

 

“How do you know if you can’t remember?” Seungri smiled back. Cl tried to say something, but she was lost for words and still had a splitting headache. She grimaced instead and went back to work.

 

“So, how are you today?”

 

“Yes I heard you the first time” CL snapped, “Why do you even care?!”

 

Seungri paused for a moment realising how ridiculous he sounded, after all he was still trying to overtake her company. Without another word he stood up instead and turned towards the door.

 

“Seungri?” CL asked again in confusion.

 

He turned back around and tried to think of something to say while CL waited for an explanation, “I…Yah! Don’t forget about the meeting with the shareholders this afternoon!”

 

“What is wrong with him?” Cl mummered as she watched him storm out of her office.

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

“But you said yourself the other day I couldn’t apply to the Paediatrics dep because my form had already been handed to the Neurology dep sunbae” Bom tried to make sense of the situation still.

 

“Yes but, a young man came and handed your application in himself saying your name had been removed from the Neurology department.” Her sunbae explained.

 

“A man?” Bom asked not understanding.

 

“Yes, he said he was a cop and that you were helping him with a case so you couldn’t hand it in yourself so he was doing it for you…think he said his name was Choi something.”

 

Bom’s face fell for a moment, “…top.”

 

“Dr Park!!”

 

Bom turned around when she heard her father shout her name out. She suddenly gulped with fear knowing full well what he was angry about. “My office now!!” Dr Park Jung Woo growled and stormed off.

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Bom took a deep breath and slowly knocked the door.

 

“Come in!”

 

Bom bit her lip hesistantly before stepping in. Her father was looking out of the window, his back faced towards her, “…appa-“

 

“Be quiet!” he hissed making Bom flinch slightly. She stood there in silence for what seemed like hours before he finally spoke. “So after all you did end up showing your true colours” her father finally spoke before turning to face her. She immediately looked at the floor and subconsciously stepped back. “After all the pretending to be a sweet innocent girl that my wife so blindly fell for, you showed your true colours” he continued, “I thought you said you would never go against anything I said?”

 

Bom shook her head, “I won’t go against anything you say father. It’s a misunde-“

 

“I told you to join the Neurology department did I not?” he cut her short.

 

Bom nodded slowly.

 

“Then why are you on the Paediatrics list?” Bom didn’t know what to say anymore. “Are you telling me you didn’t apply for the paediatrics?” her father inquired sarcastically, “Did your application magically appear there instead?” Bom clenched her jaw and tried not to look like a nervous wreck.

 

“Aren’t you tired of lying?” he muttered through gritted teeth, “I know how much you wanted to be on the Paediatrics team, you don’t have to lie and pretend like you’re innocent for everything just like always.”

 

“…I’m sorry-“

 

“Then change back to Neurology.”

 

“I’m sorry-“

 

“I’m sorry? I’m sorry! WHAT HAS YOUR SORRIES EVER DONE FOR ME?! WHAT IS THAT GOING TO DO?!” Dr Jung Woo barked at her, “IS YOUR SORRY GOING TO BRING MY DAUGHTER BACK?! I KNOW YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT! I KNOW YOU DO! BUT FOR YOUR OWN SAKE YOU’RE LYING! I KNOW IT!”

 

Bom now closed her eyes shut half scared to death, “…I’m sorry appa-“

 

Dr Jung Woo calmed himself down, “All your pretending. It’s disgusting. You pretend like you’ll do anything when it seems ok for you. But the moment it’s not something you want then you turn your back.”

 

“I’m sorry, I’ll do anything.” Bom repeated, that was all she could do.

 

Dr Jung Woo suddenly walked to his table and pulled out a card and placed it in front of Bom, “This is Shiwon’s number.” Bom looked at him in shock. Shinwon was the son of Dr Jung woo’s oldest friend. He’d had a liking for Bom and so to appease his friend, Jung Woo had decided that he would match the two together. Bom had had no other choice but to go on a date with Shinwon because she couldn’t go against her father. But Shinwon wasn’t a bad guy and realised Bom’s lack of interest in him and had decided to call the thing off much to Dr Jung Woo’s fury. “Last time you went behind my back and disobeyed me” Dr Jung Woo snapped at her, “So choose. I will let you have your silly interview with the Paediatrics department if you give Shinwon another chance.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“When did you get home?” Dara smiled when she saw Jiyong in the lounge. Jiyong looked at her for a moment before starting to loosen his tie. Dara noticed something wasn’t right and hesitated to go to him, “…is…everything ok?” Jiyong let out a heavy sigh and walked to his studio instead leaving Dara slightly puzzled. She turned around and followed him until the door way of his studio.

 

“My ankle is much better, so you don’t have to worry about it” Dara tried to make conversation, “It still hurts a bit when I walk on it but it should be ok by tomorrow.” Jiyong didn’t reply and started packing the things he needed. Dara bit her lip and looked at him in confusion. Why did she feel like he was trying to ignore her? But why would he do that suddenly. They were fine yesterday, “Do you need help with something? She asked as he continued packing. “Is…is everything ok Jiyong?” Dara asked cautiously when he didn’t reply, “…are you mad?...at me?”

 

JIyong stopped what he was doing for a moment and stared at the wall opposite him, “I’m going away for a few days.”

 

“Why?!” Dara gasped without thinking, “…ani you can’t.” Jiyong shut his eyes when she reacted that way. That’s exactly how he didn’t want her to react. He could see how depended on him she’d become and he hated that. 

 

“…but…why? When?” Dara panicked.

 

“Tonight” Jiyong replied still not looking at her.

 

Dara stepped forward slightly, “…do you have to go? Why?”

 

“Because I need to get away from you!” he blurted out suddenly.

 

Dara’s eyes flickered slightly and she looked at him crushed, “…away from me?”

 

“Yes!” Jiyong replied and grabbed his bag before storming past her.

 

“But why? Did I do something wrong?” Dara tried to follow him but her injured ankle gave way and she fell to the ground, “ah!”

 

JIyong turned around ready to help her but he stopped himself.

 

Dara grabbed her ankle and looked up at him, “Jiyong…” Instead of helping he stepped back and curled his fists together. He couldn’t have her rely on him anymore. He promised himself that he wouldn’t let anyone close to him ever again. He had his reasons that the world didn’t need to know, but for him they were good enough of a reason to stay the hell away from everyone. Dara rubbed her ankle and tried to stand up, “Jiyong please don’t go-“

 

“STOP IT!” he shouted finally making Dara look up at him in fright, “I CAN’T DO IT! WHAT YOU WANT FROM ME, I CAN’T DO IT! I CAN’T STAY HERE AND LOOK AFTER YOU FOREVER DARA!” Jiyong shouted, “YOU’VE GOT TO LEARN TO LIVE BY YOURSELF BECAUSE I WON’T BE HERE TO SAVE YOU EVERYTIME!” Dara parted her lips in shock and she looked down at the ground devastated. JIyong shook his head slowly, “I can’t…no…I don’t want to look after you.” He raked his fingers through his hair angrily.

 

Dara bit her trembling bottom lip and wiped her teary eyes with the back of her hands, “but…what am I going to do without-

JIyong growled and picked her up before pushing her angrily against the wall, “What are you going to do?! Are you not listening to anything I’m saying?!” Dara stared at him wide eyed and scared. He gritted his teeth and gripped her arms tightly, “I don’t care what happens to you!” Dara’s eyes suddenly blurred with tears. She couldn’t understand why he was suddenly acting this way. How could he say all these things to her?

 

He saw the fear in her eyes and leaned in close, “You always wanted to know why people are so scared of me. Now you know why. I’m someone you should stay the hell away from. Got it!” He pushed himself off her and turned to walk away when he felt something tugging on his shirt. They both looked down at Dara’s hand tightly holding onto him. Dara immediately let go and looked away as she held back the tears. She stepped aside slightly while Jiyong looked on at her. She used him to protect herself from him. Did that make any sense?

She wiped her tears with her shaky hands which Jiyong noticed again and she limped away from him leaving him standing there alone in a state of disbelief.

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Present day.

 

 

 

 

“Why did he do that?” Soomi asked shaking her head, “One minute he acts like he likes you and the next minute he’s telling you to stay away from him.”

 

Dara sipped her coffee slowly, “I was asking those very questions all those years ago, but now I know why he did that. It was for me. You see everything he did, he did for me, to protect me.”

 

“What do you mean?” Soomi asked, “Why would he need to protect you from him?”

 

Dara smiled sadly, “You’ll understand why eventually…”