My comfort

ONLY YOU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I want a press conference set up for tomorrow.” Seungri ordered his staff.

 

“But sir, this late at night, it’s a bit of a short notice.”

 

“Tell them that I want a press conference for the joint deal with Ms Lee” Seungri said ignoring his staff, “There hasn’t been a press conference yet and I want to share some information with our fellow public.”

 

“Well, I don’t think Ms Lee will be present at the press conference” another explained, “She’s never done a press conference yet.”

 

“She hasn’t?” Seungri asked surprised.

 

“No sir. There are rumours that she can’t handle that kind of situation. She apparently freezes up and panics.”

 

Seungri leaned forward on his chair at this piece of information, “What do you mean?”

 

“At the sight of cameras and reporters, she just panics.” they explained.

 

“So do you still want the press conference sir?”, his secretary asked Seungri.

 

 

After a moment of thought, Seungri looked up at them, “Get the conference ready for tomorrow morning.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara…come out come out wherever you are”

 

 

“AH!” Dara startled upright on her bed and tried to calm her breathing. She quickly wiped the cold sweat from her forehead and gulped at the dryness in .

 

She suddenly became aware of the darkness in her room and she clutched onto the blanket tightly.

 

Blanket? She looked down at the blanket covering her and as if it was a miracle, she felt safe again. Jiyong had been here. She reasoned to herself that that was a nightmare and that she was here with Jiyong and no one else.

 

But still Dara peered through the half open door, wanting to get just a glimpse of Jiyong. That would at least help her sleep.

 

Without waiting a second longer she wrapped the blanket over her and she walked out of her room.

 

Halfway down the corridor she noticed the lights downstairs were still on.

 

 

“…maybe he’s downstairs…” she mumbled and headed down.

 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

[Evening sky by Ailee]

 

 

Dara saw the light under Jiyong’s studio door but she hesitated outside. What if he didn’t want to see her? What if he got angry at her for disturbing him? But after what he did for her tonight, she just wanted to see him even if it was from a far distance.

 

She curled her toes anxiously, she really wanted to see him and she knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep if she didn’t.

 

Dara finally bit her bottom lip and thought if she quickly peered in and got a glance then he wouldn’t notice.

 

 

So ever so gently Dara opened the door and peered in with one eye open. Her tense shoulders loosened and she stood up properly when she saw Jiyong fast asleep with his head on his work table.

 

Dara smiled slightly and stepped in.

 

 

She noticed the pencil still in his hand and gently placed it on the table. She looked back at him sleeping. He looked so calm, not like how he normally is.

 

Dara looked around for a cushion but couldn’t find one. In the end she took her jumper off and folded it neatly before placing it on the table. She bit her lip nervously as she tried to lift Jiyong’s head without waking him up. She then placed her jumper under his head and stepped back before removing the blanket off her and wrapping him with warmly it.

 

Dara shivered slightly at the coldness on her skin but she felt warm inside just looking at JIyong. She gently sat on the floor and curled her knees close to her and watched Jiyong sleep.

 

 

 

[Flashback]

 

 

 

 

Dara shuddered trying to keep her tears from falling but Jiyong just held onto her tightly.

 

“It’s ok…it’s over now” he whispered as he traced the back of her head gently.

 

Dara felt everything she was holding in release and she placed the side of her face on his broad shoulder and closed her eyes. He was right. She was safe now.

 

 

 

“Dara. Can you tell who these men were?” the woman interrupted them.

 

Dara’s eyes immediately shot open and Jiyong felt her stiffen.

 

“Let’s leave it for tonight.” Jiyong said with a threatening undertone which the woman chose to ignore.

 

“You must know their names?” she enquired again.

 

Dara looked up nervously at Jiyong and held onto his arms.

 

“I said enough for tonight!” Jiyong growled.

 

 

“You’ve got what you needed” TOP said to the woman, “Catching those b*stards is my job.”

 

“I have a duty to help her and I can only do that if she tells me-“

 

“Oh will you just shut up for god’s sake!” Bom suddenly stood up angrily, having had enough of the woman and her ways, “Just shut the hell up for one bloody minute and let someone else speak!!”

 

TOP widened his eyes at Bom in shock.

 

“What?” Bom asked back at him and shrugged, “She’s not helping the situation.”

 

“Dr Bom” the woman gasped offended.

 

“Look, ‘with all due respect’ “Bom imitated the woman, “You think you’re helping, but in my eyes you seem to be the only one here agitating her. Can't you see how frightened she is?!”

 

The woman looked back at Dara who was clutching onto Jiyong for dear life.

 

 

“She doesn’t want to talk about it” Bom continued, “When she’s ready, she’ll tell us.”

 

“But I can’t leave her here” she shook her head, “Not with Mr Kwon.”

 

“And you think I’m going to let you take her away from me?” Jiyong raised a brow.

 

Dara slowly looked up at Jiyong when he said those words. The way he said it made it sound like he didn’t want to be apart from her.

 

“You just try to take her” Jiyong threatened.

 

 

“Are you trying to threaten me Mr Kwon?” the woman asked.

 

“No I’m not trying. I am threatening you” Jiyong corrected her, “You just try to take her away, I will destroy everything you own in a second.”

 

“Mr Kwon-“

 

“Ok enough!” TOP stood up stopping things from going too far, “The social services have got all the information they need so don’t push your luck. This isn’t just your case and before I change my mind about helping you, let’s go.”

 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

 

Dara leaned her chin on her knees as she remembered how he protected her again today. She didn’t know why it was like this. But there was something about Jiyong that made her understand that he was someone that could never be replaced. Never.

 

At that thought her eyes started closing, “…good night jiyong” she mumbled before she fell into a deep and safe sleep close to her saviour.

 

 

JIyong slowly opened his eyes. He's woken up the moment she tried to put her jumper under her head, but he didn't want to be in an awkward situaton with her so had pretended to still be asleep. He looked down at her blankly, but he heard the stubborn thud of his heart again.

 

 

He looked down at the makeshift pillow and blanket on his back and didn’t know what to think anymore. He looked back at her and remembered the night’s event. Even someone as cold hearted as him felt for her.

 

JIyong quietly stood up and kneeled down beside her before wrapping his arm around her back and another under her legs before effortlessly picking her up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So where did that fiery gutsy Bom come here?” TOP nudged Bom slightly as they walked towards their apartment building.

 

“What are you on about?” Bom muttered.

 

“Shut up just shut up” TOP imitated Bom in a high pitched voice.

 

“Really?” Bom looked at him blankly, “I sound like that?”

 

TOP tried to stifle his laugh while Bom rolled her eyes and walked ahead of him.

 

He suddenly remembered what Minzy had told him about getting Bom to open up to him. He had to be nice to her.

 

 

Bom rubbed her hands over her arms as she walked quickly when suddenly TOP reached her side and wrapped his leather jacket around her. She looked up at him with wide eyes and parted lips.

 

“If you get a cold” TOP said as he zipped her up, “How are you going to look after your patients?”

 

Bom blinked twice as TOP stood back and looked at her in his jacket.

 

 He tried not to laugh at how big it looked on her and then held his hand out in front of her, “Let’s go.”

 

Bom furrowed her brows, “The building is like 10 steps away. I don’t need this” she said as she ped the jacket.

 

TOP rushed to her and zipped her all the way up, “It’s cold, hurry up” he grabbed her hand and pulled her into the building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JIyong gently placed Dara down on her bed. He lifted the covers from under her legs and covered it warmly over her.

 

He sat on the edge of the bed and watched her sleep. He remembered everything she’d told him. He never imagined someone could go through something like that. And for a moment he couldn’t help but think maybe the way he was living his life was pointless.

 

Jiyong shook his head at that thought. He had lived his life not letting anyone close for a very good reason, and he wasn’t going to change now. It was too later for that now.

 

He looked back down at her and his face softened once again. Jiyong traced a strand of hair behind her ear and sighed heavily, “I need to stay away from you…but there’s just something about you Dara that won’t let me…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CL sat down on the hospital chair and stared at her father.

 

“You lied.”

 

 

Mr Lee slowly opened his eyes and saw CL sitting by his side in the dark.

 

“…cl?”

 

“Appa…do you know what you’ve done?” Cl asked slowly.

 

“…what’s the matter?” her father asked as he tried to sit up but CL gently laid him down.

 

“Mr Kwon…the late Mr Kwon, he had a son didn’t he?” CL asked.

 

Mr Lee froze up for a moment and then looked away.

 

“Appa? How could you?” Cl continued.

 

“…where did you hear this?” Mr Lee asked through his weak voice.

 

“Because the son of the late Mr Kwon is Lee Seungri, the same Lee Seungri we have the 300 billion won joint hotel deal with appa!” CL raised her voice, “Now please without any lies or excuses tell me the truth appa.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You know you should use some that feistiness in your daily life” TOP mumbled as he walked around his lounge brushing his teeth.

 

 

“Is that so?” Bom rolled her eyes as she did the same in her apartment.

 

“People would listen to you a lot more if you had more authority” TOP added.

 

“No thank you” Bom replied bluntly as she her TV.

 

 

“I’m just trying to help” TOP shrugged, “You know…trying to be nice.”

 

“Nice?” Bom looked up at the large hole in her ceiling.

 

 

“Well yeah” TOP replied slowly, “That’s what friends do.”

 

Bom scoffed, “Oh we’re friends now are we?”

 

“Aren’t we?” TOP peered down the hole.

 

Bom didn’t reply and just strolled off into her bathroom.

 

 

 

 

------

 

 

 

 

A minute later Bom came out of her bathroom while drying her face.

 

“Aren’t we?”

 

“Omo!” Bom startled back to find Top looking down at her. She shook her head irritated, “You and I can never be friends Choi Seunghyun.”

 

 

“Why not?” TOP furrowed his brows, “I’m a pretty good friend. Ask anyone.”

 

“Yeah well I don’t need any more friends” Bom replied.

 

“As far as I know your only friend is CL” TOP pointed out, “I’m sure you could do with one more friend.”

 

“That is not true!” Bom pouted angrily, “I have CL…and…um…”

 

“And?” TOP asked trying to look serious.

 

“…and…” Bom bit her bottom lips trying to think so hard, but she knew her only true friend was CL.

 

“Looks like I’m your new friend-“

 

“Wait!!” Bom stopped him with her palm up in the air, “Dara!! And Minzy!!”

 

“Dara?” Top raised his brow, “And Minzy? Wait Minzy as in the nurse?”

 

“You know Minzy?” Bom asked surprised.

 

“Yeah…I’m her new oppa” TOP smiled.

 

Bom cringed knowing she shouldn’t have lied about being friends with Minzy now.

 

“Minzy never mentioned you” Top lied.

 

“Oh really…” Bom said slowly, “no…we’re super close”

 

“Super close?” TOP raised his brow.

 

Bom smiled thinly and nodded.

 

“Well if you’re that super close, why don’t we all meet up. You can bring CL, Dara and Minzy and I’ll bring the boys” TOP suggested.

 

“As in hang out?” Bom asked innocently.

 

“Yeah hang out with friends” TOP nodded.

 

Bom fidgeted on the spot trying to think of an excuse.

 

TOP said simply, “So call the girls and tell them to keep their schedule free for tomorrow night arraso?”

 

Bom smiled weakly knowing that there was no way she would be able to convince the girls to go out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungri finally left his office late that night and exited the building when he stopped short after seeing CL standing there by her car. He furrowed his brows out of curiosity and looked around wondering why she was here.

 

CL stood there numbly without an expression.

 

 

Seungri finally stepped forward towards her, “What are you doing here?”

 

CL looked at him and with a small voice she replied, “…I came to apologise.”

 

Seungri paused before tilting his head slightly.

 

CL stood tall before bowing in front of him, “I’m sorry.”

 

Seungri’s eyes widened not understanding the situation.

 

 

CL stood back up now and looked back at him with reddened eyes, “I’m so sorry about your omma…I’m sorry about what happened to you…”

 

Seungri couldn’t respond, he was completely taken back by CL right now.

 

“I know everything now” CL continued, “And I’m so angry, because someone I love and believe in so much did this. But Seungri…I’m also sorry I can’t let you win.”

 

Seungri remained on his spot without a word.

 

“I am responsible for Lee Hotels, I am responsible for every single staff and their families and as much as I’m sorry for what happened to you, I can’t let you ruin everything we’ve worked this hard for” CL said with her hands clenched together.

 

 

“If you want revenge for what my father did then punish me. I can handle it. But please leave Lee Hotels alone. I’m begging you.” CL asked sincerely.

 

When Seungri didn’t reply, CL looked back up, “But if you still want to destroy everything, just know that I will be standing in your way. I won’t let you hurt anyone. That’s my promise to you.”

 

After she was done, without another look CL got into her car and drove away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom yawned as she opened her bedroom door before heading towards the kitchen. On her way she looked at the clock on the wall and groaned, it was only 3 am.

 

She shuffled her way to the kitchen when she stopped after hearing TOP’s voice.

 

 

“Dad, I can’t speak to her” TOP said through his phone.

 

TOP rubbed his head tiredly, “Ok, fine put her on the phone.”

 

 

Bom furrowed her brows and looked up towards the hole.

 

 

 

 

“You’re drunk again?” TOP muttered through his teeth as he spoke to his mum.

 

Seunghyun-ah…my little…seunghyun-ah..”

 

“Aren’t you tired of drinking?! Haven’t you learnt your lesson yet?!” TOP asked angrily.

 

“stop being mad at me please” his mother started to cry, “I can’t help it.”

 

“That’s your bloody excuse?!” TOP shouted, “You’re the reason Minsook is gone and I can’t find her no matter how hard I try!!”

 

His mother kept quiet on the other end and only her sobs could be heard.

 

“You’re the reason!!” TOP shouted again, “You’re the reason why my sister is somewhere out there and I have no idea what kind of life she’s had to lead and it’s all your bloody fault! So if you want to drink then drink I don’t care anymore! But don’t bother me and don’t expect me to come back home!!”

 

“Seunghyun-“

 

Before his mother could say anything more he threw his phone onto the floor and angrily fell back onto the sofa. He punched the seat and leaned his head back before shutting his eyes in anger.

 

 

 

 

--------

 

 

[Never say never by The Fray]

 

 

 

 

 

Downstairs Bom stood there in shock. Her eyes slowly looked up and she couldn’t help feel sorry for him. She realised there and then, Top wasn’t as happy as he seemed.

 

 

[Flashback]

 

Bom had been hiding in the girls’ bathroom all lunch break and finally she peered out of the door to see an empty hall way. She sighed with relief and quickly tried to tie her hair in a bun like always. That way no one would be able to pull her hair. As she was tying her hair, she heard shouting from the staff room.

 

Out of curiousity, she forgot to tie her hair and it fell loosely down on her back. She followed the shouting until she reached the staff room, she peered in and saw TOP standing there seething with anger.

 

“Seunghyun that is no way to talk to your mother” the teacher was reprimanding him, “She just came to check up-“

 

“She has no right to check up on anything I do!” Top replied angrily, “My father is my guardian and anything you need to talk to about you can tell him!! She has no right to interfere in my life!”

 

Mrs Choi stood there near to tears.

 

 

Bom gasped never having seen TOP act this way before. She felt bad for eaves dropping and quickly looked away.

 

 

“Seunghyun” his teacher tried again, “I know it was hard for you to lose your sister. But your mother lost a daughter too. It’s time to forgive and move on.”

 

“Move on?” TOP asked, “You want me to give up on my sister?!”

 

“It’s been nearly 12 years-“

 

“So?!” TOP shouted back, “So what?! I don’t care if it takes me a life time to find Minsook, I’ll find her and I don’t need anyone’s help!!”

 

“Seunghyun-ah!!” his mother shouted as TOP stormed out of the room.

 

Bom hid against the wall and watched TOP storm off towards the roof top.

 

 

 

-------

 

 

 

Top kicked an empty can off the roof top of the school and sat down in his usual corner. He hit his head angrily on the back of the wall and shut his eyes close.

 

He was mad. Mad that his mother came to his school drunk, mad that she thought she could still try to be a mother to him, mad that his teacher took her side. But most of all mad that people kept telling him to give up.

 

 

 

-------

 

 

Bom had followed him up and was looking at him from a distance. She felt her heart pain seeing him this way. He’d always helped her when his friends tried to bully her and she felt almost helpless seeing him like this.

 

Even people like Choi Top have problems she thought sadly.

 

But Bom was too nervous and shy to even approach someone like Choi Top. He was the cool kid and she was the nerd that everyone bullied.

 

But she couldn’t just leave without doing anything so Bom finally pulled out a pen and her flowered patterned sticky note pad before scribbling something down.

 

 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

Bom lied down on her sofa and stared at the ceiling.

 

 Back then she couldn’t do anything to comfort him and even now she still can’t do anything.

 

 

 

 

-------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top finally opened his eyes and looked at his brown leather wallet on the table in front of him.

 

 

[Flashback]

 

 

 

After a while Top had calmed down and fallen asleep on the roof top under the sun. His mind was never far from Minsook, all he thought about was how to find her. Even in his dreams, he had conjured up a thousand ways he found her and how he brought her back home. But then he would wake up and nothing would be how he dreamt.

 

While sleeping, he thought he could sense someone beside him. He tiredly opened his heavy eyelids to catch a blurry glimpse of a girl in the school uniform with long flowing black hair down to her back walking away from him.

 

TOP sat up a bit and rubbed his eyes before looking again but the girl was gone now.

 

Suddenly from the corner of his eye he saw something fluttering slightly in the wind.

 

It was a small flower patterned sticky note stuck on the wall beside him.

 

TOP furrowed his brows and picked it off the wall before he read the note:

 

                                      Never give up.

 

TOP’s face softened as he continued to stare at the note. That’s all he ever wanted to hear. He just wanted people to tell him never to give up, that one day he will find Minsookie.

 

He looked up at the empty roof top. Whoever that girl was seemed to be the only one who understood him.

 

 

 

[End of flashback]

 

 

 

 

TOP finally reached for his wallet and opened it up to reveal a picture of young Minsook. A smile reached TOP’s face as he traced the photo with his fingers.

 

He then reached for something under the picture and pulled out a very old, flower patterned sticky note that read ‘Never give up.’

 

TOP smiled softly when he remembered that day.

 

Back then that girl comforted him, and even now she still comforts him.