The Day Before (and a Bit Before That)

The Disadvantages of Having a Not So Dumb Boyfriend

It was two days before Joonmyun was meant to go to America, and a lot had happened before, that he was glad had.

 

//FLASHBACK

“Joonmyun, I’m scared to open it.”

“You’re kidding, right? You got in.”

“OH MY GOSH REALLY WHAT HOW DO YOU KNOW wait I’m still holding the letter. What if I didn’t?”

“You did,” Joonmyun said, putting his hands on Yixing’s shoulders and looking him deeply in the eyes, “Because you are the most amazing dancer I’ve ever seen, and they’d be crazy not to want you.”

Yixing blushed a dark shade of red, looking down to try and cover his face, a futile attempt when the one he was trying to cover it from was in fact shorter than himself.

“Do you want me to open it?”

The dancer shook his head; he could do this. With shaking hands, he unfolded the letter and the page, scanning his eyes down. They widened, before he started to scream.

“I GOT IN! I GOT IN!” he squawked as he hold Joonmyun’s shoulders, jumping up and down.

“I knew it,” Joonmyun said, smiling back. “I told you you’d would.”

“I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!” he squealed, hands still clutching the letter, when all of a sudden his face dropped. “What if I read it wrong? What if I am so dumb that I can’t actually read properly?”  Yixing pushed the letter into Joonmyun’s hands, watching him read it with a bitten lip.

He watched as Joonmyun’s smile grew wider as his eyes grew glassier, and all of a sudden Joonmyun was crying and Yixing was freaking out.

“Oh my God did I actually read it wrong and you’re crying because I’m so dumb and smiling because you think it’s funny?”

“Yixing-ah…” Joonmyun said, voice slightly cracking. “I’m so proud of you.”

Yixing smiled, pulling Joonmyun in to his arms and wiping his tears with his thumb.

“Don’t cry, baby. It’s not sad.”

“I love you, I’m so proud of you. I can’t help it!” the Korean whined.

Yixing bit his lip, “I’m going to miss you so much, you know that right?”

“Let’s not think about that, you should tell Jongin you got in.”

Yixing nodded, pulling away and dialing a number he had long since memorized.

“Kim Jongin!”

“What? I’m kind of busy at the moment.”

Yixing could hear moans coming through the phone, and didn’t want to think of what was going on.

“I GOT IN!”

“Well that’s good, I did too.”

“Seriously, I have to go to university with you?”

“You applied after me, remember?”

“No I didn’t Jongin, you were lazy and nearly missed the cut off.”

“Eh, I still got in. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to continue my congratulatory , so I will be off now.” Jongin replied, before the line went dead and Yixing’s face paled because what he thought those noises were was just confirmed.

“Too much.” Yixing mumbled, tucking his phone back into his pocket.

//FLASHBACK OVER

 

He had also found out that all his other friends had gotten into the universities of their choice, and couldn’t be happier for them. Kyungsoo had been accepted into Seoul National with a few others, a place where he had dreamed of going since they’d become friends. Joonmyun had cried then, too. A part of that dream was going together, but that’d have to wait a few more years.

Right now, he and the other 11 of their group were all sitting in Kyungsoo’s apartment. Kyungsoo wanted to have a party, but Joonmyun insisted that he didn’t want one. Honestly, he didn’t. He had a lot of friends, but he’d rather spend his second last night with the people that were most important to him. It was the last time they’d all be a group as a whole, and he’d rather them be together and relatively sober.

It really hit Joonmyun then, how much he’d miss everyone. From Chanyeol’s laugh to Baekhyun’s eye smile, to Jongdae’s trolling and to Minseok’s cheeks, Luhan’s sass and Sehun’s aegyo, Kris’s lame attempts at being cool to Tao’s empty threats of using his wushu skills against them, Kyungsoo’s derp to Jongin’s , he’d miss it all.

Not to mention Yixing… he’d miss Yixing the most. Yixing’s smile, his laugh, his touch. The slight sway of his hips as he walked, and the accent on his Korean words. He’d miss the times when they were in bed and Yixing would start in Chinese, and the shy smile he showed every time Joonmyun linked their hands. He’d miss the arcade dates, the hours spent cuddling watching Pokémon and One Piece. He’d miss the way Yixing’s eyelashes fluttered closed, and how his breaths evened as he fell asleep.

He’d guessed he’d just miss Yixing.

Now it was 2 am, and he had to leave for America the next day. Yixing had to drag him from Kyungsoo’s, saying that he needed to get sleep and pack in a few hours. Joonmyun wished he could have cooperated better, but he felt that anyone else in his situation would have been the same.

Because only Jongin, Kyungsoo and Yixing would be going with him to the airport, he wasn’t going to see anyone else until he got back.

Everyone had given him gifts to remember them by, and he couldn’t have wished for a bunch of better friends. “I’ll be back before you know it, you guys won’t realize I’m gone.” He’d said offhandedly, and Luhan and Baekhyun began to wail, asking “HOW COULD YOU EVEN SAY THAT?”

Joonmyun replied saying that they were all just mean to him anyway, and Chanyeol and Sehun replied saying “That’s the thing; we have no one to take advantage of anymore.”

They all laughed, but Joonmyun knew that he’d even miss that.

“I love you guys, I really do.” he said as he walked out the door. “I’ll keep in touch!”

“We love you too, and you better!” Baekhyun choked through sobs, everyone else sniffling because this was freaking sad. Even Jongin’s emotional barrier was chipped, his eyes turning slightly glassier.

Joonmyun laughed, but Yixing could see that it was just a cover up for the fact he was crying.

Yixing drove them back to his house, one hand holding a sniffling Joonmyun as the other was on the wheel.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

The next morning, they both crawled out of Yixing’s bed. Well, more like fell, because Yixing’s accidentally hit Joonmyun in the face, whilst Joonmyun’s arms were wrapped around him. The bed wasn’t much bigger than a normal single, just bit enough to fit two people if you squeezed (they were always too lazy to pull out the spare mattress, plus they preferred sleeping together any way), and the sudden attack on the Korean’s face had him rolling over and off the bed with a loud thud, pulling his boyfriend with him.

Joonmyun was underneath and had taken the whole hit, whilst Yixing way laying on top of him, his brash laughter filling the air.

“My face, it burns.”

Yixing was pressing kisses on to Joonmyun’s face as a way of apologizing through his giggles.

“Sorry baby, I really am.”

Joonmyun pushed Yixing off himself, standing up.

“Sure, sure. What time is it?”

Yixing looked over at the clock.

“Uhh, 11:30... You want to go back now?”

Joonmyun sighed, “It’s not that I want to go, it’s that I need to pack.”

Yixing shook his head. “You’re silly, you’re leaving tomorrow, you know? You should have already done this…”

“But Xinggie~” Joonmyun whined, “I’ve been cleaning the house and packing stuff then, I only really just need to pack my clothes~”

Yixing laughed, “Come on stupid, let’s go home. Just let me have a shower first.” he said, looking at Joonmyun.

Joonmyun’s heart fluttered when Yixing called his house home. Even if they weren’t going to be together for much longer, it still made him happy. He nodded blindly at Yixing in response, still caught up in his own world.

Yixing facepalmed.

“Joonmyun, that was an invitation to join me, you know.”

Joonmyun’s eyes widened.

“But your parents are-“

“Babe, just a shower.” Yixing snorted, watching Joonmyun’s face (which looked absolutely mortified, by the way) revert into a soft smile.

“Oh, okay.” Joonmyun giggled, standing up trailing like a little duck behind Yixing.

“It can wait until later.” Yixing said, receiving a hit on the shoulder from the older male.

It was true that neither of them had plans of starting anything. Yixing’s parents were at home and they would not risk being caught or overheard (one of the benefits of Joonmyun’s parents living in another country was that this was never a worry).

The two undressed each other, throwing their clothes in a pile to be dealt with later (though Yixing felt he’d probably just ‘forget’ about giving them back so he got to keep them). They stepped into the shower, Yixing squeaking when Joonmyun lightly squeezed the side area of the space between his ribs and hips. Yixing glared, before pulling the shower head off, pointing it at Joonmyun’s face, and turning it on full blast. Revenge, he thought. Revenge was sweet.

 Joonmyun obviously didn’t think it was so sweet, judging by the unamused face. The only problem was that this made Yixing burst out into laughter as he attempted to put the shower head back on its stand.

Joonmyun had been trying to keep a straight face, but his grumpy exterior cracked when his face lit up in a smile as he watched Yixing laugh his off.

The two showered noisily for the first part, splashing water and running soft fingers over skin. Joonmyun is sure he spent more time than he should have just watching Yixing… Watching the way his eyes crinkled when he laughed, the way his dimple showed, the way the water droplets ran down his hair, and down his chest. He was determined to commit everything to memory, and so was Yixing.

Finally they calmed themselves and actually decided to get clean (Yixing didn’t want them running out of hot water, after all). Yixing relished in the feel of Joonmyun’s hand gently massaging the shampoo in his hair. Joonmyun relished in the smell of the rose scented product that just screamed Yixing, making sure to memorise the brand name, and melted into the kisses that Yixing placed on the side of his neck. There wasn’t lust, just love, and the feeling made Joonmyun shiver. His eyes welled up and he knew that he cried, but if Yixing had noticed, he hadn’t shown it.

Yixing cried, too... He cried and he knew that Joonmyun cried, but he also knew that there wasn’t much either of them could do. Joonmyun wouldn’t want him to bring it up, so he didn’t.

The two eventually stepped out of the shower, both grabbing towels and drying each other off. Yixing walked out and brought them both clothing, and even though Joonmyun had spare ones with him, Yixing gave him some of his own, anyway.

Yixing sat down on the bed as Joonmyun gently towel dried his hair, listening with open ears as his boyfriend softly sung. It had always been an unconscious habit, and it was one that Yixing had always loved. He hoped that Joonmyun had remembered about the CD, but he hadn’t mentioned it, and Yixing knew it was way too late for him to start, anyway.

Soon the two had packed everything up, and Joonmyun had taken all the clothes he wanted to take with him out of Yixing’s possession (with a lot of whining on Yixing’s part and ‘why is my underwear under this?’ on Joonmyun’s). Yixing had managed to keep a few, and there was more that he planned on taking from Joonmyun’s house. He knew he wouldn’t mind- he had said that his mother said it’d be better to keep what he was bringing minimal, and that he could just buy clothes over there.

Yixing had seen Joonmyun sneak a few of his shirts too, but he decided not to say anything. He nearly forgot his clothes in the bathroom… Nearly. This was much to Yixing’s chagrin, he’d wanted to keep those with him.

The next thing they knew, Joonmyun was at a 90 degree angle to Yixing’s parents as he said goodbye to them.

“Thank you so much for looking after me.” he said respectfully as he bowed.

Yixing’s mother laughed, “What are you doing boy, give me a hug!”

Joonmyun laughed as he straightened up, Mrs Zhang’s arms pulling him in a tight hug.

“I’ll miss you, Joonie~ come back soon, okay?”

Joonmyun smiled, “I’ll try my best.”

“You better!” she said, mock-sternly. “My son is going to miss you too much, and I don’t want to deal with his complaining.”

“Mum!”

Yixing’s mother laughed, letting go of Joonmyun, who turned towards his father and went to shake his hand. Before he knew it he was pulled into another hug.

“Good luck, Joonmyun. Take care of yourself, okay?”

“Will do, sir!” Joonmyun said, saluting. Yixing’s father saluted back, laughing, he’d always liked Joonmyun, and was glad that his son had chosen him to fall in love with. Both Yixing and Joonmyun were lucky that their parents had been so accepting of their relationship, they know they had friends whose parents hadn’t reacted so well.

It was with one final bow and thank you that Joonmyun stepped foot out of his boyfriend’s home for the last time in a while, the two with hands clasped and fingers entwined.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Yixing sat on Joonmyun’s bed as the older pulled things out of his wardrobe and placed them next to him, deciding on the clothes he’d take and the clothes he’d leave. His mother told him not to bring many, because he could buy new ones before he started school. He’d tried to oppose, saying that he liked his clothes, but in reality there was a lot of stuff that’d he wanted to take that could be taken up space-wise by clothes. So here he was, sifting through his wardrobe, Yixing helping him look.

Well, he couldn’t really say helping, but Yixing was making the decisions easier by ‘borrowing’ a range of his clothing.

“Baby, I wanted to take that. It’s my favourite.”

Yixing looked down, frowning, clutching the culprit. “That’s why I want it…”

The look on Yixing’s face was enough to ruin all chances of Joonmyun taking the sweater with him, him instead lifting Yixing’s chin and pressing a chaste kiss to his lips.

“Okay then, look after it.”

Yixing smiled, “Will do.”

One and a half hours later, Joonmyun’s clothes that were staying were packed in his drawers, whilst the ones he was taking were in his suitcase, and the ones Yixing were taking had been shoved in some shopping bags that lay to the side.

Some people may have thought that Yixing went a little bit over the top, but they were clothes Joonmyun loved wearing, and clothes that Yixing would wear anyway… Best of both worlds, right? Plus, it’s not like Joonmyun was going to use them, and Yixing needed some more clothes anyway.

Joonmyun was now going through his room, taking the things that made his room well, his room. His Nintendo DS (because Zelda is the , you can’t deny that), books (because there was something he loved about turning a page, Yixing knew), even toys (because he is actually a kid). Yixing’s favourite though, was how he took every photo frame, how he took every photo of him and his friends, family, even the old lady who requested for a photo that one time because he was so handsome and he ended up getting one too (though his was considerably sillier, the two of them both pulling derpy faces at the camera). He especially loved how he handled every photo with absolute care, like it was made of glass (albeit a lot of the frames were, but that’s not the point). If he didn’t want to keep it in a frame, he put it in an album.

Yixing’s favourite photo was one of the ones Joonmyun had taken of the both of them when they went on their first official date as a couple. As cheesy or tacky as it may have sounded, before the two had dated, Yixing had often mentioned wanting to go on a date to a carnival and watch the fireworks, and he was surprised that Joonmyun had remembered such a thing. Yixing remembered he wouldn’t crack a smile for Joonmyun’s phone camera because the fireworks hadn’t started yet, and being the child he was, he believed if they were two minutes late they weren’t happening at all. Joonmyun had attempted nearly everything to aegyo in attempt to get Yixing to give in, and even though he was squealing on the inside, Yixing’s expression remained stoic as he continued to look around for signs of fireworks. All of a sudden he felt warm lips on his cheek, and a loud boom echoed as the show started. His lips spread into a goofy grin and Joonmyun took the photo, lips lingering on his cheek, fireworks shining brightly in the background.

Yixing felt fireworks, and he found the ones that were in the sky were nothing compared to the ones that Joonmyun sets alight.

Joonmyun had that photo next to his bed; it was his favourite, too.

 

 

Yixing is pretty sure he fell asleep at some point, because he remembered watching Joonmyun pick up the final photo frame, and the next thing he knew, his boyfriend was opening the door, laptop bag around his shoulder.

“How long was I out for?” Yixing asked, still quite dazed from his nap.

“Just under an hour.”

Yixing frowned, “You should have woken me up. You’re leaving in less than a day, I don’t want to sleep until we have to.”

“Yixing-ah,” Joonmyun put his laptop case down, slipping out a thumbdrive and putting it in the front of his backpack, the one he was taking on the plane. Yixing didn’t notice, being too busy trying to wake himself up. “It’s okay, there was some stuff I needed to finish doing, and it’s all done now. I don’t mind.”

The younger frowned upon noticing there was something different about his boyfriend’s face.

“Were you crying?” he asked, standing up and snaking him arms around Joonmyun’s waist.

Joonmyun shook his head. Yixing flicked him.

“Don’t pretend to be strong for me.”

“But I wasn’t-“

“Joonmyun, shush. Your eyes are kinda puffy, it gives it away.”

Joonmyun frowned… Stupid boyfriend knowing everything.

“I know when you first told me I reacted badly, but this is so much worse for you. If you’re going to be upset, do it here. You are going to America for a while whether you like it or not, so make the best of it. We’re all sad, but you shouldn’t dwell on those things too much, especially whilst you’re there. Get rid of everything sad now, so you can start there happily.”

Yixing pulled away from the hug holding Joonmyun’s shoulders, looking into his eyes, he could see the older was holding back tears.

“You, Kim Joonmyun, are perfect. You are going to have an amazing two years in America. You are going to miss us a lot, but it’ll be okay because we’ll phone you and message and video call you and you’ll do it to us too. If you like it and decide to stay the full four years or whatever you have to do, that’s alright, it just means that we’ll miss you longer and that you’re going to have to come and visit. You are going to make a whole bunch of friends that I won’t be able to understand when they talk, but that’s okay and they’ll make you happy when we can’t. If you find someone you like more than me, you will tell me and it’ll be alright because in the end I want you to be happy. Just don’t forget about me, okay?”

Now Joonmyun was crying, really crying, and Yixing wrapped his arms back around him, Joonmyun’s head resting in the spot between his neck and shoulder.

“I love you, I love you, I love you so much, I’ll never find anyone I love more than you, I don’t want to leave, I love you.” he spluttered through sobs, clinging onto Yixing like a koala, hands in his shirt.

“I love you too, you know I do.” Yixing whispered soothingly, kissing Joonmyun’s forehead.

It was 10 minutes later that the crying stopped and Joonmyun looked back up with puffy eyes. Yixing wiped the rest of the tears off using his thumb, before grabbing Joonmyun’s hand and pulling him downstairs.

“Come on, let’s get you finished with packing.”

 

It was only when they were completely finished cleaning and packing that they both collapsed on the couch. The house didn’t really look all that different, considering Joonmyun was a clean person, but his room was practically unrecognizable.

Joonmyun had put various notes around the house, reminding him where he put things that he may forget, and Yixing had put some around, saying how much he loved him, in case he forgot that whilst he was away, too. Joonmyun would always put one next to it, saying something along the lines of “I know, I love you too.”. There was one Yixing had put up saying how Joonmyun made his ‘kokoro go doki-doki’, to which Joonmyun replied with “Senpai noticed me!”, and then Yixing wrote one back that said “I’m not your senpai, but you can pass because you’re kawaii.”

Now the two both sat sprawled across the lounge, for a bit, anyway. Yixing was one of those people that when he saw a guitar, he’d pick it up and start playing. Joonmyun had no issues with this either, and watched with content as he started strumming. Joonmyun could play chords, but he couldn’t and wouldn’t compare himself to his boyfriend.

Something Joonmyun loved about when Yixing would play guitar was when he’d start singing. It was difficult to get Yixing to sing, but he really had a lovely voice. The guitar was the only place where he felt at home singing, the words gracefully slipping from his mouth. Joonmyun couldn’t understand much that he was saying, considering the song was in Chinese, but it didn’t matter to him at all, because Yixing was there and Yixing was real and Yixing was singing and Yixing was his.

Another thing Joonmyun loved about Yixing was the innocent, clueless side of him. The side he had that made him forget that hey, Joonmyun was actually in the room. Once the song ended, he opened his eyes and nearly fell off the couch in shock because Joonmyun had been watching him. His face went instantly red, and he stuttered, putting the guitar down and rushing to the TV to put a movie on so he could just not think about what happened.

Joonmyun smiled at him as Yixing came back to the couch, pulling the blanket off one of the others so he and Joonmyun could snuggle underneath it.

Joonmyun laughed when he saw that Yixing had picked Mean Girls, but you could never deny that was a good movie, and Joonmyun really didn’t feel like asking when he knew the question he’d get back would be asking why he owned it in the first place.

Joonmyun could understand it with subtitles or not, whilst Yixing could only understand a little bit of the English. It didn’t matter though; they’d both already seen this movie before.

They couldn’t say they really watched the movie though, most of the time was spent on each other. Nothing ual, just talking and lazy kisses (they were both too tired to do otherwise at that time). They talked about a lot of things, the future… Their future. Not their immediate future, but after they were done with school. What’d happen when they’d get old.

Joonmyun couldn’t contain his laughter when Yixing asked if that’s what school would be like for Joonmyun.

Joonmyun replied back that no, it wouldn’t be like that, because he was going to university, and Yixing just laughed, threading his fingers through Joonmyun’s hair, saying it looks y pushed back.

 

 

The movie finished and Yixing pulled Joonmyun up, saying that he was hungry and they should eat dinner.

“What do you want to eat?” Joonmyun asked. His pantry was still full, he’d already asked Kyungsoo if he wanted the rest, and knowing Jongin, Kyungsoo agreed.

Yixing thought for a while, before getting an idea and smirking.

“Pancakes!” he replied, trying to suppress a grin.

“Pancakes?” Joonmyun asked, to which Yixing pouted. He finally gave in, mumbling something about not going to have much Korean food in America and here he was making one of the favourite breakfast foods, for a night time meal out of anything.

Yixing brushed flour on to Joonmyun’s nose, before running away giggling to set the table. He grabbed any topping he could think of, making sure to not forget the can of whipped cream sitting in the fridge.

He finally finished setting the table as Joonmyun was standing at the stove. Repeating what only happened weeks ago as he backhugged him. It felt awfully nostalgic, except this time there wasn’t dreams of eternity. Not like they didn’t have dreams for the rest of their lives, but none for the imminent one. Joonmyun was leaving in a few hours, and he wouldn’t be back for a while. It was at this point that he realized how they hadn’t even been dating that long, but it was the most natural thing to him. Loving Joonmyun was just something he did, something he needed to do. Being loved by Joonmyun was something he needed too, and he guessed this reliance was also based on the fact that he had cared about the other long before they dated. It didn’t matter to him how long they’d been dating, how far they’d come… He was desperately in love with this man.

He swayed their hips side to side to a non-existent beat, which gradually came to surface as Joonmyun began to hum and sing. Yixing placing kisses the side of his boyfriend’s neck every now and then, and the two stood in relative silence until every last pancake had been flipped and Joonmyun had placed it on the table.

Noticing the cream, Joonmyun’s face changed and suddenly he had an idea of why Yixing chose this food. This time, he didn’t mind.

It was only when they finished eating that Yixing made his move, squirting more of the cream on his plate and swiping it with his finger. Joonmyun watched him as he deliberately got it on the side of his mouth, and wasted no time in standing up and pushing Yixing against a wall. Yixing let out a loud moan as Joonmyun kissed him hard and passionately, and Yixing thanked the gods that he had the brains to think of this because it seemed better than last time this happened, especially when Joonmyun’s phone didn’t start ringing, and he got to finish what he’d planned on doing, except this time he pulled him towards the couch, and took a different approach to his hand. Joonmyun’s fingers tangled in Yixing’s hair as he let out strangled moans and loud mewls, and it wasn’t long until they were back in Joonmyun’s room.

There was definitely something different about this time. It was the way their muscles flexed, the way the light coming in from outside lit up Yixing’s face, and the way Joonmyun’s hair gathered at the ends, wet with sweat. It was the way that hands, eyes, mouths roamed over bodies, making sure that every place and spot and imperfection was imbedded to their memories. It was the way that they moaned and screamed each other’s names and promises of anything and everything.

 It was the way that Yixing eventually passed out, eyes finally drooping to as he smiled with their fingers entwined. And the way that Joonmyun made sure he was asleep before carrying him all the way down stairs, placing him on the couch before running upstairs and shoving the sheets in the washing machine, quickly putting on a spare pair.

It was the way that Yixing was tossing and turning when he came back less than 5 minutes later, calling out for Joonmyun in his sleep.

It was the way that when Joonmyun tucked Yixing into his bed and crawled in the other side, that Yixing’s hands instantly made their way to his as Joonmyun hugged him from the back, and the way Yixing sunk into the hug like he’d belonged there all along.

It was the way that they completely worked in harmony, only trying to please the other. It was the way they made sure they didn’t forget, and it was the way they were both completely and utterly each other’s, totally in love.

 

 

 

ω) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  Authors Note  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ω)

Chapter four is here!
I'm sorry if I dragged on the time before Joonmyun goes too long, it'll be over soon, I promise :P
You can probably figure it out.

I hope you guys enjoyed ^^ I can't believe people are still subscribing! It makes me super happy asdfghjkl.
I feel like I should do something in celebration if it hits 100, because I've never had an ongoing fic with that many before. If you have any ideas, leave it in the comments or something ^u^
People who are commenting, you're making my day so don't stop ;) haha I love you guys okay.
People who are upvoting, I can barely believe you're doing it, so thank you so so much, really :3

As always, feel free to contact me on Tumblr and/or add me on here, I'd love to hear from you!
Feedback is super important to me, so I appreciate any I gert good or bad :)

Until next time!

Stay cool, guys ;)