Wish I Could Be There

The Disadvantages of Having a Not So Dumb Boyfriend

Yixing found that all the time that he was dedicating to dance kept him pretty distracted. He put more time on solo practice at home, whist Jongin preferred the studio where there were mirrors and Kyungsoo wasn’t. Not because Kyungsoo was a distraction (if he was one, he was welcomed with open arms) but because he didn’t want Kyungsoo seeing it, because it wasn’t perfect yet, and anything dedicated to Kyungsoo could be no less when he saw it. He made sure that he was home now more often, though.

Yixing didn’t have that problem, however, because Joonmyun wasn’t there. Because of this, most of his spare time was spent in his room, in front of his mirror practicing. He’d go to the studio if it was free, he’d go with Jongin every now and then considering they were doing a split stage, but he wasn’t usually there except for regular practice.

Even if Joonmyun wasn’t going to be there, he had to make this perfect. He had to do it because Joonmyun was perfect and he deserved nothing less. If Joonmyun was going to see it through some recording hours after it happened, it had to be even more perfect.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

 

“Good luck, baby. I really wish I could be there.”

“I wish you could be there too,” Yixing mumbled, “You haven’t been to one as my boyfriend yet.”

Joonmyun sighed; he’d never thought of it that way. He was genuinely upset that he couldn’t go, though he did have an idea up his sleeve.

“I’m sorry, Xinggie.”

“It’s alright,” he smiled back, though it was recognizably forced, “You’ll just have to watch a recording.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Yixing breathed in and out, and then in again, before breathing out again and continuing because hey that’s what you do to survive, except now he was using it as more of a way to calm himself.

It wasn’t that he usually got nervous when he performed; he found it was quite the opposite- Yixing completely changed whilst he was dancing, the movements of his body and the shift of his facial expression switching him from a shy kid to a confident beast, it was just that for this one stage he was particularly weary.

It was a split stage with Jongin. They’d merged together two songs back-to-back, the first being a version of Angel that Joonmyun had just sung, which then merged into a version that just Kyungsoo had sung, before merging into a version that the both of them were singing. The good thing about both Joonmyun and Kyungsoo being exceptional singers was that one of their high school teachers had convinced the two to record a version for her (Baekhyun had point blank refused, saying it wasn’t his song) as a preview to show off to other students. Joonmyun and Kyungsoo had written the song and Joonmyun had put the audio track together, and there they had it.

Jongin had no problems getting the recordings off their old music teacher, and now they were standing on opposite ends of the stage, hearts racing.

 This wasn’t just any performance though, Yixing thought, because for the first time he had someone to perform for and even though they weren’t there it made him all jittery. Especially as he’d specifically dedicated every moment he’d dance in this song to his boyfriend.

It was an amazing outdoor setup. It was like a miniature outdoor concert system, except it was for dancing, the arrangement in no way and bright lights no way amateur.

The music started, and Yixing looked up. Joonmyun’s singing rang through the speakers, and he couldn’t help the slight shiver that he felt as he began to move.

 

“Joonmyun-hyung, you can see fine, right?”

“Yeah, crystal.”

Kyungsoo held the camera up, facing it to the stage as the front of his phone was mainly lit up by the screen, whilst the other small section showed what Kyungsoo was currently showing Joonmyun.

“I’ll video you just before they go on, okay? Jongin told me who’s going before them. He knows about you watching like this, but he hasn’t told Yixing.”

“That’s good, I’ll be waiting then, yeah?”

“Yeah okay, stay at your computer so you don’t miss it.”

“I wouldn’t go anywhere else.” Joonmyun replied, smiling as he ended the call. He wouldn’t watch the whole thing because it would waste Kyungsoo’s mobile data, but he wouldn’t miss out on Yixing for the world.

“You’re so cute!” Kevin squealed as he sat next to Joonmyun on his bed. It was three-thirty in the morning in California, and Kevin had said (and quote) “There is no way I am going to be able to sleep through you squealing like a little , so let me watch, hoe. Plus, you always go on about how well he can dance, I want to see it.”

The two both had classes the next day, but Kevin could run on a few hours of sleep, and Joonmyun decided that if he had to skip class this was definitely worth it (and anyway, he’d probably just go tired). He’d slept a few hours before just to make sure, however.

So Joonmyun let Kevin watch too, and 45 minutes later, Kyungsoo rang Joonmyun back, the other performers midway through their piece. It was a kind of showcase, where a whole bunch of dance groups from Seoul gathered, organized by someone or another. The one which Yixing and Jongin were in was performing as a whole, but a few people had decided to do solos or duets or perform in a trio or whatever, or more, be forced to do them.

Jongin was really a secret romantic on the inside, and had begged Yixing to do something with him, and only God knows why because it isn’t exactly like Jongin haa low confidence levels. Yixing guessed it was because he was dancing for Kyungsoo that he was especially antsy, but he didn’t see why when he basically dedicated anything to him anyway. Back to the point, somehow Jongin wasn’t extremely self-confident for this performance, and somehow he’d managed to convince Yixing to join him and do something for Joonmyun, even if he wasn’t there. Yixing didn’t oppose to that particular idea at all, deciding that hey, if Jongin was going to force him to dance whilst he dances for his boyfriend, why shouldn’t he dance for his? Plus, he’d wanted to choreograph something to Joonmyun’s voice since he first heard it, and now he felt like it was the perfect opportunity. Well, as perfect as it’d get within the time he’d be gone.

Now it was the duos turn, and Kyungsoo and Joonmyun were both captivated before the music even started, Kyungsoo staring at the stage with the phone screen in the corner of his eye so he could see whether Joonmyun could see them, and Joonmyun leaning forward on his bed, legs crossed. At times like this Kevin would have usually pushed Joonmyun over because he was kind of blocking a lot of the screen, but he’d let him have this moment because fair enough, Joonmyun was his boyfriend.

The music started and Joonmyun felt like he was going to cry, because that was his voice coming out of those speakers and Yixing was moving his body to his voice and his song.

“Is that you singing?” Kevin asked, eyes also fixated on the screen, because who could deny that Yixing’s dancing was mesmerizing?

Joonmyun just nodded, he couldn’t really form words.

Kevin squealed.

Throughout the dance, there were barely any moments where the two danced at the same time, bar some parts in the chorus. Whenever one would dance, the other would be shrouded in a kind of darkness, the dim night lighting being their only way of being seen, before the singer would change and all of a sudden the other would be shrouded. It meant that whenever it’d switch to Jongin dancing, Joonmyun had a moment to regain his sanity.

It didn’t stop him from crying though, even when Jongin was dancing to Kyungsoo (who wasn’t doing any better, judging by the sniffles he could hear from the other end… It must have been a surprise for him too).

As Angel finished, the stage went black, and a few seconds later the whole crew was on, dancing to some crazy remix of Spectrum and Break Down. Though everyone else were great dancers, Joonmyun only had eyes for Yixing as he moved, not missing a beat. It really hit him how much he wished he was there, but all he could do was feel proud of how absolutely perfect his baby was.

The music ended, and no sooner was Kyungsoo rushing out of the crowd, and around to the ‘waiting area’ behind the stage where Jongin and Yixing would be.

 

Yixing and Jongin were talking to the other people in their group when Kyungsoo ran up into Jongin’s arms, wrapping his arms around him and kissing him deeply, still clutching his phone.

Kyungsoo wasn’t usually much for public displays of affection after how his father had reacted about his uality, but right now he was too overloaded with love and feels to care, because Jongin had danced to his voice and Jongin was perfect. Now he could see why Jongin wasn’t there so much, and he wasn’t upset anymore, he was just crazily in-love.

Yixing stared in amusement, and later on he would strongly deny the fact that he was jealous of the two, even though it hurt how Joonmyun couldn’t actually be there. His face turned to confusion when Kyungsoo pulled away and shoved his phone to his chest before returning to kissing Jongin senseless.

Yixing was more than shocked when he saw Joonmyun’s face on the screen, realization hitting him as his eyes began to sting and water.

“J-Joonmyun?”

“Yixing-ah, you were amazing.” Joonmyun smiled, eyes soft and sincere as he spoke through the screen. The two wanted nothing more than to jump through the glass and in to each other’s arms, and Yixing felt that even though he could have just watched it later he watched it then at god knows what time at home, and he felt his heart swell and himself fall just that bit more in love, because Joonmyun was perfect.

“Joonmyun…”

Yixing was full on crying now, tears streaming down his face, as the little bit of eyeliner he had on came with it.

Joonmyun smiled, “Baby, don’t cry. Why are you crying?”

Yixing sniffed back, wiping his face with the back of his hands.

“Because you’re perfect and I miss you.”

Yixing was taken off guard by a loud squeal, followed by a “SO CUTE!”, and then a loud thud from Joonmyun’s side of the call.

Kevin glared at Joonmyun from his spot on the floor where he’d been pushed off the bed, but that didn’t stop him from yelling a “YOU WERE GREAT, BABE!”

Yixing’s face returned back to normal as he smiled, realizing that Kevin had been watching him too.

“Thanks, baby!”

“I thought I was your baby,” Joonmyun huffed, crossing his arms and exhaling so his fringe flew up and back down again. “I thought I was perfect?”

“Huh, I changed my mind. Kevin’s my man now.”

“I KNEW IT! I TOLD YOU I’D DO IT, JOONMYUN.”

Yixing heard another thud, this time followed by a “YOU PRICK, I CAN’T HELP TRUE LOVE!” and looked back at Joonmyun, who although he knew they were joking, looked a little bit pissed, a frown covering his face.

“Joonie, I was just joking. You’re the only man I ever want, I love you.”

“I THOUGHT WHAT WE HAD WAS REAL!”

Cue an unmanly squeal.

“OW!”

“Kevin, just shut the up.”

Kevin sat back up from his now fetal position on the floor, rubbing at his side which had been abused by Joonmyun’s foot. Kid was violent, he thought.

“I love you too, Yixing-ah. You were perfect. I wish I could have been there.”

Yixing smiled, “I’m glad you liked it. The first one… Well I guessed you figured it was for you.” he said, face going slightly pink.

“HE CRIED!”

*thud*

Yixing found himself melting into a pile of metaphorical goo.

“KEVIN!”

“WHAT? IT’S TRUE!”

“STOP SCREAMING OR YOU’LL WAKE UP THE WHOLE DORM. GO TO BED, THE SHOW’S OVER.”

“BUT I WANNA TALK TO XINGGIE! Plus, how am I meant to sleep with you squealing over him.”

Yixing laughed at the exchange between the two, before realizing again that it was probably some ungodly hour.

“Baby, what time is it?”

“IT’S FOUR IN THE MORNING~”

“He wasn’t talking to you.”

“THAT’S WHAT YOU THINK.”

“Four in the morning? You have class tomorrow! Why are you awake now?”

Yixing honestly felt bad, he didn’t want to be the reason that Joonmyun walked into class dead tired, although he knew Joonmyun would probably get enough sleep anyway.

“Because I wanted to watch you, baby. I couldn’t be there to see it live, but at least I could watch it like this.”

Yixing felt his face flush. “Joonmyun, you-“

“I finally know how fans feel, except I get to touch and kiss oppa when I’m around him.”

Now he just rolled his eyes. “I’m not even your oppa.”

“It doesn’t matter, you’re still mine.”

Yixing bit his lip. “Come on, go to bed and let Kevin sleep.”

“What if I don’t want to?” Joonmyun wriggled his eyebrows.

“I’ll hang up on you without saying goodbye.”

Joonmyun’s face dropped as he grumbled and ultimately gave in.

“Good night, Joonmyun-ah. I love you.”

“Night Xinggie, I love you too.”

Yixing reluctantly ended the video call, and handed the phone back to Kyungsoo and Jongin, who were currently looking at him like he’d just won the lottery with a ticket they’d bought him.

“You knew about this too, didn’t you?” he directed to Jongin.

Jongin just nodded, a wide smile on his face. Yixing punched him lightly on the shoulder, before pushing aside Jongin and hugging Kyungsoo.

“WHERE’S MY HUG?”

“You don’t get one because you didn’t tell me.”

“Kyungsoo didn’t tell you either!”

“Yeah, but he helped Joonmyun, you just danced.”

“How does what you’re saying make sense?”

“Just shut up, Jongin. I love Kyungsoo more than you.”

Jongin frowned, and Kyungsoo leant into his ear, breath tickling his skin as he whispered deep and huskily, instantly letting Jongin know something good was coming for him when he got home.

“Don’t worry baby, I love you more than Yixing-ah.”

 

~~~~~

 

Joonmyun knocked on the door outside his parent’s house, hoping that one of them would be home (and hopefully, his mother). Luckily for him, his mother answered the door. Not so luckily, she squealed particularly loudly and pulled him into a bone-crushing hug that had him struggling to breathe.

“Mum, uh, can’t breathe-“

She leapt away, grabbing his hands and pulling him inside, seemingly ignoring or just not noticing his last comment. “Come on in baby, I wasn’t expecting you! Your father is out for the day, I was lonely at home.”

Joonmyun was secretly quite happy that his father was out for the day. “Sorry I didn’t give you any notice, I just really needed to talk to you about something?”

Joonmyun’s mother raised an eyebrow. “And what’d that be?”

The son smiled, “Later, mum. I’m sorry I haven’t come and visited you yet, I’ve been busy. How have you been?”

 

Joonmyun finally plucked up the courage to ask the question he’d really came there for when his mother brought up his boyfriend.

“How is Xinggie?”

“He’s alright,” Joonmyun smiled, “He was kinda stressed because he had that showcase, but it happened in the week and so now I think he’ll relax more. ‘Soo video called me, so I could watch it live even though I couldn’t be there.” he added, not being able to keep the sadness out of his voice.

Joonmyun’s mother looked back at him, and he could see some form of regret in her eyes. There was definitely sympathy, but the regret couldn’t be missed.

“You really miss him, don’t you?”

Joonmyun sighed, “Yeah, I really do. I miss everyone, but especially Yixing.”

The woman sat in silence, and Joonmyun decided to continue.

“Actually, I came here to ask you something.”

His mother had an idea where this might be going, and nodded as a sign to continue.

“If I get top of the year can I go back earlier?”

Joonmyun’s mum giggled, she had half expected this. Joonmyun’s face paled, and all of a sudden he started rambling.

“I mean, I know part of the reason you wanted me to come here was to show I was serious and for me to do the best I could so-"

“Joonmyun.” she interrupted.

Joonmyun’s eyes widened. “Yes?” he squeaked nervously, biting his lip.

“I have no problem with it.”

Joonmyun had to stop himself from jumping up from his chair due to the ecstatic feeling in his chest, the feeling that he would get to go home earlier as long as he put in a bit more effort. It was nothing if he got to go home faster.

“Your father might be a different case, but he’s made enough decisions, I’ll change his mind.”

Joonmyun jumped up and this time it was he who enveloped his mother in a bone-crushing hug, chanting thank you.

“We didn’t realize how serious you two were. I don’t want to see either of you unhappy.”

“When it’s about Yixing, I’m always serious.” Joonmyun said, “I love him, mum. He means the world to me. I can’t lose him and every day I’m away, even if he isn’t I feel like he’s slipping out of my reach and I don’t know if I could deal with that. ”

 “Are you going to tell him?”

Joonmyun shook his head, “No, I don’t know if I’ll get there, I don’t want to make any false promises.”

Joonmyun’s mother nodded. “I remember when we were going back to Korea, and you didn’t want to leave… How time changes, hey?”

“Korea is my home now, mum.”

“I know, and I’m sorry.”

Joonmyun understood that it was his father that really wanted him to go, and as much as his mother thought he’d be fine at home, she respected his wishes and the fact that if Joonmyun was good enough to get into such a high level university, she thought he should take the opportunity.  He didn’t like it, but he understood it. He couldn’t hate his parents for this.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Yixing wasn’t very busy any more.  Yes, university took up a portion of his time, but when dance came to him so naturally it was easy to manage. His other stuff, he had assignments for, but he found with the lack of something to concentrate on, he had a lot of down time. Obviously, his choreography assignments with college were a bit of a filler, but after their first one (which the four had passed with flying colours) he found that he would usually work with Taemin, Hyoyeon and Jongin, if he was able to, and that whilst Taemin was a little bit lazy, they always managed to create quality routines quite quickly. He supposed he should branch out, but for the moment, familiarity was nice.

Now he didn’t have much to do to occupy himself when he was home which wasn’t dance, he found it kind of lonely. Joonmyun never had any commitments, so whenever he felt slightly bored one of them would go to the others and it was all fine and dandy.

But now he couldn’t do that, because Joonmyun was away. It was kind of lonely. He hadn’t realized how much time he’d spent alone whilst he and Joonmyun weren’t dating, and now they were any time without him was like nothing he’d ever known before.

He felt clingy, but he knew that the time difference made it hard to talk now, especially as Joonmyun seemed to be studying a great deal (a bit more than Yixing thought he would have to, but that’s Joonmyun for you), IM-ing was less regular and video chat even more so.

Yixing didn’t know if Joonmyun missed him as much as he did. He was torn between wanting him and not wanting him too- he didn’t want Joonmyun to be as sad as he was, but Yixing wanted to know he was just as loved as much in return.

He spent a lot of time at Jongin’s and Kyungsoo’s, and found himself becoming a lot closer with Kyungsoo when Jongin wasn’t out. Not to say they weren’t close before (Yixing loved the younger to bits, and vice-versa), but in high school he’d never really had the time to actually talk without someone else there. Obviously, he couldn’t help but scold Kyungsoo a bit when he found out that he’d tried to leave, but Kyungsoo accepted it all with a “You were right, and I’m sorry. Thank you for stopping me the first time, or I don’t know what I’d be like now.“

He didn’t know the emotional extent of Kyungsoo’s insecurities, but he knew that Kyungsoo had his own reasons for trying to leave. They weren’t right, but they were reasons. He was just glad Jongin had stopped him.

He couldn’t be at theirs all the time though, so he found most of his time was at the dance studio or in his room, learning and choreographing for hours, day in and day out. If he didn’t do that he went running, he found it calmed him and wiped his brain, for a bit, until he’d remember the time where Joonmyun’s mother had called when he was about to give him a rather nice hand-job, and Joonmyun had said that he was panting because they’d been jogging (smooth). Then he’d start crying… He missed those times. He missed them a lot. They’d hardly gone out for long since Joonmyun had to leave, and he’d already turned Yixing’s world one hundred and eighty degrees (albeit, he done that years before).

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Joonmyun didn’t think he was spending that much extra time studying, only a few more hours a day, but these hours meant he had less time for Yixing and that hurt. He’d still IM him every day and they’d Skype at least once or twice every week, but he knew he couldn’t study and video chat at the same time, because whenever he was with Yixing his brain kinda turned to mush and it definitely wasn’t a feeling that he hated, but he knew it wouldn’t be helpful when he was trying to learn.

He hoped Yixing would understand, but he couldn’t be sure and he certainly wouldn’t tell him that he was trying to come home earlier than they’d planned, because he still doubted whether or not he could do it, whether or not it’d work. He couldn’t tell Yixing he was coming home if he didn’t know he could do it.

Every day he sent Yixing a message saying how much he loved him, how much he missed him. He hoped Yixing wouldn’t just think he was doing it as a chore when he genuinely meant it, and made sure in the times that they video-chatted or rang each other that he assured Yixing that.

He missed him, he missed him a lot, and he hated how he had to spend extra time studying that he could be talking to Yixing. He wished that he could come home faster without sacrificing that, but he knew in the end he’d rather be with him than with him on a screen.

University was hard, but being away from Yixing was harder. 

 

 

 

∩( ・ω・)∩ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  Authors Note  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ∩( ・ω・)∩

SuLay is back! 
Er so you start to see here thatthere are going to be a lot of timeskips in this. Sorry if it bothers you, but the time period is too broad to detail everything, pus I don't have that many ideas XD
Er and you see that I possibly cannot keep Joonmyun away from Yixing for that long.
Is that typical?
Will he actually come back earlier?
Why did it take this long to get to this point?
How much interest have you guys lost?
Why do I keep on asking questions?
Because I want to know the answers =u=

OKAY so anyway, a big thank you to everyone that is reading/commenting/subscribing/upvoting, I tell you every update but you are the bees knees or the ants pants or whatever you guys want to be, okay. You're pretty great :D
Any feedback you guys give is helpful, so please please, if you have anything to say, go ahead :3

As always, feel free to add me on here, and/or contact me on Tumblr ^-^
I also have a LINE and KakaoTalk, so if you guys are up for chatting with me, feel free to message me and I'll send you my ID :3

Until next time!
Stay cool, guys ;)