CHAPTER 7

LOVE CONTRACT


‘’Do you know that Sica got injured?’’ The girl behind the steering wheel queried, looking at Krystal through the rear mirror. 



The younger girl sprung up from her seat and drew out her earpieces. ‘’She got injured? How? Since when? Have she seen a doctor? Was it serious?’’



‘’So you still care about Sica…’’



‘’Wait… Are you lying to me?’’ The latter gave a debatable face. ‘’She wasn’t injured. You were just testing me?’’



‘’Yes I was testing you but no I wasn’t lying. Didn’t you notice her right hand? It had a bandage.’’



‘’I wasn’t ready to face her, let alone scanning her from head to toe! What happened?’’



Yuri related the whole incident back to Krystal, who was carrying a worrisome expression all these while she listened attentively.



She bit on her nails, fidgeting uncomfortably every now and then. It was apparent that she was pretty much bothered by it.



‘’But she’s fine now. Don’t worry so much.’’



‘’Hmm…’’



‘’You know… Actually your sister confined to me about what took place between the both of you that night. It was clear that she longed to see you, to hear you again. Her situation wasn’t any better than yours.’’



Yuri stopped her Mini Cooper outside Etude Junior College, turning to face the melancholy eighteen. She was at a loss, seeing Krystal at such a forlorn state. 



‘’I miss her too. Jessica… For the past month, I returned to my school dorm only to find myself drowning in alienation. I had the bad all to myself. But I was least exultant. I rather squeeze on a single bed with her. At least I don’t feel cold. At least I’m not petrified when the storms hit at night.’’



The serene voice was coated with dismal. Her gaze was fixed outside the window, upon the boundless blue sky. No tears were seen, but a despondent atmosphere was felt within the little space.



‘’Maybe you’re not exactly ready to face Jessica yet. But if you were to give it a thought, she is also a victim. Because she knew the kind of pain, that’s why she kept it from you for almost two decades.’’ The tanned girl let out a sigh. ‘’Whatever it is, it’s time for you to go to school. Do you want me to walk you inside?’’



‘’No I’m fine on my own Yuri Unnie. Thank you for the ride. You better get going before you’re late for school.’’ She flashed a rather helpless smile before she took her leave.



‘’Krystal!’’ Yuri winded down her window, calling out to the girl that was walking towards the building. ‘’Your sister really loves you!’’



She ended her conversation with her signature killer wink, speeding off to her next destination.



‘’I love her very much too, Yuri Unnie…’’



Maybe it’s time to go home, to go back to Jessica.



***



‘’Change into the other outfit and be quick.’’ The photographer instructed without looking up, fixing new lens to her camera. 



‘’Yoona Unnie, this is your next outfit. Do you need help to change?’’ A young, smiling girl approached the tall, slim model. ‘’I’m Luna by the way. New intern under Seohyun Unnie.’’



Yoona turned and looked at the girl in front of the computer checking the photos before looking back at Luna. 



‘’That cranky photographer is your mentor?’’ Luna nodded and Yoona’s eyes widened at once. ‘’But she is so young!’’



The two girls left for the dressing room and closed the door. Luna ped Yoona’s dress before she continued. 



‘’Seohyun Unnie may be young, but she is one of the best student photographer in Seoul. Many other interns were dying to work with her and thankfully I was the one that got picked.’’ Luna beamed, showing off her neat rows of teeth as she took off the overall from the hanger and handed it to Yoona.



The student model raised her eyebrows and shrugged her shoulders. Given that kind of sour temper, she never had expected that Seohyun would be so popular within the photographing industry. 



‘’But she is like an antisocial! She barely spoke to me for the whole morning other than telling me to change my positions and clothing!’’ She fastened the clips onto the pants and checked her appearance before heading out for her photo shooting again.



‘’She is well known for her seriousness. Nobody had ever seen her smile.’’ Luna carried the dress that she wore previously and fixed her hair. 



‘’Luna! Get people from the technical department to come down and fix the printer, it’s jammed. Now!’’ Seohyun put down her camera over her neck. ‘’Get into your positions, dim the light, change the background. Luna, what are you waiting for? Go!’’



Yoona shook her head while she went back to the setting and got in place. She can’t believe that she still have to continue working with this young but always frowning photographer for at least another month. 



Seohyun took a few sample shots before moving onto the exact one. Her brows were always locked together, and all she did was instruct and check the pictures on her DSLR screen. 



Yoona had worked with quite a few student photographers but none of them were as serious as this one. They joked with her, things weren’t going at such a fast pace and she enjoyed those moments.



‘’Seohyun Unnie, you got a phone call!’’



The girl shot a glare at Luna who was holding onto the phone.



‘’What do you not understand when I mentioned no phone calls will be entertained when I’m working on a project?’’ She placed her hands on her waist, her eyes were burning holes through Luna. 



‘’Sorry Unnie…’’ The poor girl looked down at her feet, terrified to face her flaming mentor. 



‘’If you can’t even remember such an easy thing, then I would strongly recommend that you quit this internship at once.’’ Seohyun turned to attach her flashlight onto the camera, her voice was intimidating.



Yoona saw that Luna was so shaken, unable to utter a single word other than sorry.



‘’It’s her first day here. Why do you have to be so harsh to her?’’ Yoona placed her arm around the shorter girl and made the others bring her away. ‘’Just because you are her mentor, that doesn’t give you any rights to reprimand her like this!’’



The photographer continued to do some adjustments to her camera, not bothering to even look at her own model. 



‘’Didn’t your parents teach you to look at people when they are talking?!’’ Yoona slammed the table, attracting all the attentions in the room.



Seohyun stopped almost instantly when her parents were brought into the argument. Slowly, she shifted her sight from the camera screen to the girl in front of her.



‘’Never ever mention my parents. You are in no position to question about them.’’ She grabbed her camera bag and left the studio in a huff. 



Yoona went up to Luna, who seemed much calmed down by then. ‘’Hey, don’t get discouraged by her words alright? I bet her parents didn’t teach her how to treat people with respect.’’



‘’Thanks for helping me Unnie. But actually, Seohyun Unnie’s parents passed away in a private plane crush when she was 14…’’ 



Yoona stopped packing and her heart dropped when she received the news. She had just rubbed salt into someone’s deep wound. 



‘’She… Is an orphan?’’



‘’I guess so…’’ Luna paused for a moment and recounted. ‘’I heard that she got an older sister, the only survivor in the plane crush but is now in a coma state.’’



‘’Can I have Seohyun’s number please Luna yah?’’



***



‘’Fany ah, Sica’s here to see you.’’ Taeyeon shook her girlfriend by her shoulder gently, brushing her fringe to the side.



‘’Jessie’s here?’’



The shorter girl gave a nod and held the girl by her side, helping her up. Before they reached the living room, Tiffany gave her a peck on her cheek. 



‘’Thanks Taeng.’’ 



‘’Hey Tiff, feeling better?’’ Jessica engulfed her sick friend in a long hug before they both settled on the sofa. 



‘’Definitely, I have the perfect girlfriend to look after me.’’ Tiffany watched her girlfriend served the guests their drinks. Their gazes met and the twosome smiled. ‘’So I see you brought a friend along?’’



Yuri stood up and bowed. ‘’Nice to meet you. I am Kwon Yuri.’’



‘’So you are Yuri! Finally I get to see you. I heard a bit of you from Taeyeon and Jessie. Nice to meet you too. I am Tiffany Hwang.’’ She flashed her signature eye smile and returned the greeting. 



‘’It’s nice of you both to visit Fany. Please do stay for dinner. I bet Fany would have a lot to catch up with Sica.’’ Taeyeon asked sincerely.



‘’Yeah, do stay! My Taetae’s cooking skills are no joke. You would love her food.’’ Tiffany intertwined her hand with the girl beside her. 



Yuri felt comfortable with the presence of the two others girls, like a home from home with all the warmth they were welcoming her. 



‘’Well, do excuse me for now while I wrap up dinner. I will bring your medicine to you when it’s time.’’ Taeyeon caressed Tiffany’s face as she left the seat.



‘’I will help!’’ The tanned girl followed her new found friend into the kitchen, leaving the two best friends in the living room.



‘’So she is the three months new client that you slept with?’’



‘’No! What were you thinking?! ert!’’ Jessica punched her friend playfully on her arm. ‘’I slept at her house, but we didn’t sleep together! Not even in the same room!’’



Tiffany clapped her hands aloud and let out a laugh. ‘’It’s so fun to tease you, Jessie!’’



She knew a pair of cold eyes was staring at her, sending a shiver down her spine.



‘’I already got a flu so stop your icy stares. Well, I’m surprized that you told her about Krystal and your mum. You both barely knew each other.’’



‘’Exactly. I don’t know why, but I just felt that I could trust her. Plus, I cried and fell asleep in her embrace.’’



‘’Wow… You mean she initiated a hug to comfort you?’’



Jessica nodded, blushing as she recalled something else. ‘’That’s not the only thing. She even did this.’’



She leaned in and gave her best friend a long kiss on her forehead, just like how Yuri gave her the previous night.



‘’Hey hey hey! What are you doing to my girlfriend?!’’ Taeyeon rushed over to the girls, dropped the packet of medicine on the coffee table carelessly and broke the ‘’demonstration’’ kiss.



‘’Relax Taeyeon, it’s not my first time kissing Tiffany anyways.’’ 



The petite girl gave a cute little pout before she stomped away to the tallest girl.



‘’Face me Yuri!’’ 



‘’Yes Taeyeon?’’



She clasped the girl’s cheek and planted multiple quick kisses, leaving Yuri no time to react to the sudden affection. 



‘’I’m sorry, Yuri. Someone just kissed my girlfriend and proudly claimed that it wasn’t the first time. I got to balance myself. Hate me for all you want.’’



Taeyeon brought her face closer to the other. 



***



She slowly approached the ward door and gave a slight push. Once the patient came into her sight, she felt her eyes were blurred by tears. She settled on the chair beside and brushed the falling hair aside. 



‘’How are you today, Unnie? You slimmed down…’’



Seohyun caressed Victoria on her face, letting tears wet her cheeks. 



‘’Unnie, I’m here. Why won’t you speak to me? Talk to me…’’ 



Victoria was the only kin Seohyun had left now, but the fact that her sister had been in a long coma made the younger girl felt that there wasn’t any differences between herself and an orphan. Even if there was, it would only be the huge amount of wealth and this hospital that her parents left for the both of the girls. She would have a private jet included in her assets, if only it didn’t crush.



Victoria majored in medical stream in her college, just like both her parents. They were supposed to fly back to Korea on their private jet from America, Guam after a medical talk organized by the authorities there. But due to some unknown reasons, their plane tail exploded in the mid-air, the main reason of the crush.



None survived in this mishap except Victoria, and she made it through the headlines for almost a week. The doctors said she was a miracle, but still, her come around was an unknown. Seohyun fell sick after receiving the grave news from her housekeeper, Ms. Park. 



She always dreamt that her parents’ spirits were back, to take Victoria away. Her sleep would often be disturbed by those horrible nightmares, and she would find herself drenched in her perspire. Her teenage years were practically a torture and she hungered for her sister to gain consciousness. 



‘’Unnie, why are you so selfish? Why did you leave me alone to deal with our parents’ death? Why do you always remain silence when I talk to you? Why don’t you just die so I don’t have to let my hopes get crashed again and again every time I hear the doctors tell me to not have too much expectation from you?!’’



Beep. 



The ventilator went off, leaving a flat line on the screen.