CHAPTER 28

LOVE CONTRACT


Yoona couldn’t help it but shivered slightly and found her way to Seohyun’s free hand. She clasped it tightly as she tapped her finger against the palm. They were on their way to Taeyeon’s café for the party to celebrate the girl’s discharge from the hospital and to welcome Yuri and Jessica back from America. It had been a long time since the tanned girl last came across her mind ever since she started dating Seohyun, and now it’s petrifying her.



‘’Relax girl, everything will be fine.’’



Seohyun spoke without peeling her sight off the road, startling Yoona as she didn’t realise how obvious she was. She was beginning to feel a little guilty when she recalled how she tried denying the fact that the one she loved was actually the one sitting beside her now instead of the one that she merely had a crush on. Throughout the process of finding the answer, she even hurt the latter. Nevertheless, Seohyun accepted her for what she did and who she was despite having to consider so long about her feelings.



‘’Hyunnie, don’t misunderstand my fear for still having feelings for Yuri Unnie okay? I’m just… I just don’t know how to face her out of the sudden like this. I’m sorry.’’



They came to a stop at the traffic light and finally the couple had eye contact. Seohyun simpered and knocked her head gently.



‘’Silly, why would I? From the moment you promised to be my girlfriend, I firmly believe that sooner or later you will only have me in your heart. Don’t ever apologise for such things, love doesn’t need apologies.’’



Yoona’s throbbing heart finally eased a little when she heard those comforting words from her girlfriend and she smiled with gratitude. She listened to Seohyun sang as they continued their journey and slowly without her acknowledgement, her fear was diminishing as they approached the location.



‘’Yah yah Im Yoona, do you know how long we have been waiting for you both to reach before we can start eating? I’m so hungry I’m going to die!’’ Sooyoung’s loud voice travelled across the café and pierced into the new arrivals’ ears while the rest burst out laughing.



‘’I’m sorry, we got a photo shoot earlier on and hence the delay.’’ Seohyun explained as they settled down next to everybody else. Her eyes automatically drifted to Jessica who was smiling sweetly at her and she mirrored the expression. It didn’t take her a longer than a second to discover that Yuri was absent.



‘’Where’s Yuri Unnie?’’



Yoona voiced out her thought and almost instantly, someone flicked her ear softly from the back. She turned back and saw the tanned girl with a playful beam on her face, and they took turns to share a hug. She was thankful that the original awkwardness that she conjured in her mind didn’t exist; not even for a second. She watched as her senior that she once had a crush on joined Jessica on the couch opposite of her, and a smile had unknowingly crept up her face. Her worries were vain.



‘’So all nine of us are gathered together here today to rejoice for our dearest new found friend, Taeyeon’s discharge from the hospital and also to celebrate the newly official couples, Yuri, Jessica, Yoona and Seohyun! Let’s all cheers and drink to our full today!’’



Sooyoung clunked her spoon against the long wine glass as she stood in the middle of everyone and urged all to raise their cups of beverage in a circle, knocking her glass of champagne against all the other eight cups before bottoming up, dissolving the liquid in a blink of an eye. Sunny giggled under her breath as she watched how her girlfriend was leading everyone, getting them into the groovy mood. Her attention was divided when her cell phone rang.



‘’Hey Sunny, I’m outside your friend’s café and it seems like there’s a party going on. Do I still go in or I should come some other day?’’ A sweet but trembling voice travelled through the receiver and Sunny figured that the weather was really chilly.



‘’No Unnie, it’s just us. Come on in. I’ll get you at the door.’’



‘’Is that friend of yours here already, Sunny?’’



Tiffany placed her hands on the shorter girl’s shoulders when she saw the latter walking towards the door, joining her to welcome the new arrival. Sunny gave a cute beam and nodded her head, holding the American closer. The twosome greeted the guest and brought her into the inner space where everybody was at.



‘’Oh Unnie!’’



Yoona exclaimed as soon as she saw who it was that entered with her other two friends, making everyone diverted their focus too. Similarly, Seohyun and Sooyoung stood up respectively to bow to their senior.



‘’Taeyeon, this is Woori unnie, my senior in school that will be helping out in your café before you recover.’’ Sunny introduced. ‘’She is currently waiting for her graduation and since she has interest and experience in baking, I thought she was the best candidate that you asked for.’’



Tiffany listened to the psychologist’s advice of letting Taeyeon be occupied to prevent her from having negative thoughts throughout her remaining therapy period, hence deciding that it would be best if her girlfriend can continue managing the café with external help. After all, she has to return to work sooner or later since there was a lack of manpower at Perfect Lovers. She was having a hard time trying to find someone that will be able to work and help her keep a look out for the wheelchair bound at the same time without finding it as a hassle when Sunny suggested hiring her college course senior, Woori.



‘’Hi Taeyeon, I’m Woori. Nice to meet you and hopefully I can provide you with some help here.’’



‘’I’m grateful for your acceptation of the offer. It’s definitely going to ease my burden and Tiffany’s worries. It’s my pleasure having you here.’’



The oldest of them all received a warm welcome and was invited to remain behind to join in the fun with the rest of the nine girls. Sooyoung urged everyone to join in the drinking game and soon, everyone were sitting in a circle. It seems like Lady Luck was not siding Woori and the game host, for the fact that they both of them took turn to lose in almost all the game rounds. Woori’s face was as red as tomato by the fifth shot while Sooyoung was getting a little tipsy by her seventh. Everyone agreed to end the night earlier than planned with one last game and as predicted, Woori lost again.



‘’Thank goodness it wasn’t me!’’ Sooyoung burst aloud while the rest laughed.



‘’But it’s me… And I think I’m going to throw up soon.’’ Woori exhaustedly rubbed her palm against her weary, hot face, letting out a helpless sigh before she braced herself for another shot of Vodka.



‘’Unnie, finish it fast so we can continue drinking!’’ The tall girl raised her empty cup up high in the air, speaking slightly louder than usual. Sunny pulled her girlfriend down against the sofa and without any effort, Sooyoung fell into her arms, giggling.



‘’Okay, just let me take a deep breath and I wil-‘’



‘’I will drink for you.’’



Hyoyeon took the drink over instead and swallowed it in a gulp before the loser of the game could even react. She let out a hiccup as she stared mindlessly at the girl she barely spoke to the entire night and soon beamed. Thankfully this girl saved her from the further torment of alcohol but right when she was about to express her gratitude, she collapsed onto the blonde beside her.



‘’Unnie?’’ Yoona patted Woori’s face gently but her effort was vain for the girl was overwhelmed by the numerous shots she took, drunk and unconscious.



‘’I don’t think there’s any way we can wake Unnie up now. Hyoyeon, can you please take Unnie home for me? This giant is drunk too.’’ Sunny asked.



‘’Yeah sure, but let me clean up the place a bit first. Is that alright?’’



‘’It’s okay Hyo, you can leave the cleaning to Jessica and me. Just bring her home before she throws up or feel sick. Tiffany can bring Taeyeon home first too. I’ll just lock this place after we are done.’’ Yuri offered.



‘’We can help to clean up too.’’ Seohyun voiced with Yoona nodding.



‘’Okay, so are we all settled?’’ Everyone either gave Tiffany a thumbs-up or a nod. ‘’Alright, thank you so much for planning this mini party. Excuse me now if you girls don’t mind, let me take Taeng home first before she misses the time for medication. I hope you liked the food I catered. Good night!’’



Seohyun followed Tiffany out as she helped to wheel Taeyeon from the back of the café and Yuri carried Sooyoung to Sunny’s car from the front, while Hyoyeon just had a little help from Yoona to take Woori to her car right outside the café. The fair model soon returned back to clean up the leftovers with Jessica and there was something that the American felt a need to say. She put down everything in her hands and approached Yoona, making the alternative sit down with her.



‘’Yoona, I know this is rather abrupt but I felt a need to say… To tell you…’’ She hesitated for a moment, biting on her lips. ‘’That I’m sorry.’’



Yoona tilted her head and held Jessica’s hands. ‘’Why, Unnie? Why do you have to apologise?’’



‘’See, actually the reason why Yuri and I met was because I had to help her go after you. She had a crush on you all along but she never dared to take actions until Sooyoung signed her up for this Lover For Loan contract and I happened to get assigned to her. The photo shoot back in the woods, our first meeting, was supposedly to let me better understand how you are like so I can further guide Yuri on wooing you. But… But things just happened and by then I was already helplessly in love with her, madly. In fact, throughout the entire time when I was with her, I never really did anything or taught her what to do to get you to like her. I can’t bear to see how you both were interacting that day so I went away even when she told me to stay, almost getting violat-‘’ She let out a sigh and shook her head. ‘’ I just hoped that you won’t feel as though I snatched her away from you...’’



‘’Truthfully, I had a crush on Yuri Unnie ever since I knew her. I know it isn’t appropriate to say this now but thank you, Sica Unnie.’’ The model gave a beautiful smile. ‘’Thank you for letting me know that my feelings were returned in a way or so, even though none of us officially confessed or had anything blossomed. And no, you didn’t take Yuri Unnie away from me because she was never mine.’’



Jessica swallowed a lump that was making its way up. ‘’At times I feel that I ought to do something back then, to urge her to go after you more. My love for her blinded me. Maybe at that point, if I pushed her further instead of distracting her, she might choose you. I striped her opportunity of getting to pick, didn’t I? I wasn’t been fair to her or you because I wanted her so badly.’’



‘’You know, if you think you were being unfair to Yuri Unnie, then I was being extremely harsh to Hyunnie. All these while I had only thought of who I should choose, who I should go for and I totally neglected the feelings I developed for her. I told her I liked Yuri Unnie, but I led her on with my speech and actions. Can you imagine how bad she felt? After I stole a kiss from her when she was sleeping, I ran away, I hid from her. I was so selfish, to let her be confused of whom she is to me and worry for me. Because of my own fear and denial, I tore her heart again and again. Then when I finally came to see that the one I truly value and love was her, without any complains or grudges, she accepted me at once.



From the very beginning, I was the one making all the decisions. Never did it come across my mind to ask how did she feel, or never did I think that maybe this girl could be hurting because of me. She got no say, but she embraced me and my mistakes. My point here is, in a relationship, it’s impossible to ever balance the amount of love from both sides. I’m certain that I love Seohyun more than myself, but I’m even more sure that my priorities have always been placed before herself. Love is like this; you want to give double the sum you received but it works vice versa. From how you chose to apologise to me, it’s obvious that from the very start, you did everything to provide the best for Yuri Unnie. So don’t doubt yourself and your effort, be it in the past or now.’’



***



Seohyun and Yuri stood side by side at the corner as they listened to the entire conversation after they met at the entrance of the café. The photographer leaned against the wall while the tanned girl sat beside the high table. Nobody dared to move an inch for they were afraid to shatter the silence and miss out any part of the talk between their girlfriends.



Yuri’s heart dropped when she overheard about why Jessica chose to leave with JungSoo that day back in the woods, mentally hitting herself. She couldn’t believe how foolish she was to not notice that Jessica had already fallen for her by that time, and how insensitive she was towards the sudden cold shoulders she received. She still reprimanded the poor girl afterwards when she was found, about how she ran away deliberately despite being pleaded to remain behind. Yuri was the one that almost caused Jessica to fall for the dangerous trap, and she never knew. Jessica even feared that she will feel that pinch of unfairness of not being taught on how to chase after her junior, defeating the purpose of the contract. It stung her.



Seohyun quietly digested Yoona’s words which were a total spot-on of her feelings way before they got together, especially when she first heard about the latter’s feeling towards Yuri during their dinner after the photo shoot. A mixture of feelings was drowning her in a midst of confusion. She didn’t know how to feel. She pondered if she should be elated that Yoona had just declare her boundless love, or get angry at how she was constantly avoided after the sudden disappearance from the hospital without being given an explanation. Unknowingly, she traced her lips when she heard how her girlfriend had stolen a kiss from her when she was deep in her slumber way before they were an item. She recalled how frantic she was when she came around to see or hear no Yoona, not being able to get in contact with the alternative for hours. It was all because of her unofficial first kiss that she was unaware of.



‘’Yoona, can we make a pact? Let’s just keep this conversation to ourselves. I don’t want Yuri to feel that I’m saying all these because I’m having thoughts of pushing her away to you or whatsoever. I’m just telling you all these because I felt that there’s a need to apologise for wanting to be selfish, for wanting Yuri so badly that I failed my job duty.’’ Jessica requested.



‘’Just call me Yoong, Sica Unnie. There’s no need for apologises, and I promise I won’t tell a third person about whatever we just said. We are both very lucky to be able to find our own companion. Let’s just ignore the past and provide them with as much love as we can now and in the future for as long as possible.’’



The two girls mirrored their smiles respectively and carried on to clean up with a lighter heart after having what they had to tell while waiting for their girlfriends to return, without knowing that they were actually already back and heard everything. Yuri looked up at Seohyun, and without even speaking, they both understood that they won’t mention about their eavesdropping.



‘’Hey pretty, need some help?’’



Yuri gently placed her hands on Jessica’s waist and pulled her closer, kissing her on the top of the head before retrieving the tray filled with empty wine glasses from the girl, bringing them back to the kitchen with her girlfriend following along. The taller one washed the utensils while the petite one dries it clean, placing them back onto the shelf. Every time she had to tip toes before she could push the glasses inwards, taking her extra efforts to finish her chore.



‘’I’ll do it.’’



Yuri took the last few glasses at once, leaning in to Jessica as she arranged them neatly without any difficulties. A hand s around her skinny waist, pulling her down and into an embrace. The alternative cuddled closer, snuggling her face against the crook of the neck after planting a quick kiss on the cheek. Protectively, Yuri wrapped her hands around the entire body, tenderly running her fingers through the hair.



‘’You lied to me. You said I will get used to sleeping without you beside me. A week is almost over now but I still miss your hold like this…’’ Jessica whined.



‘’Well I’m sorry… I will hug you every day like this when we meet okay my princess?’’



‘’That’s a promise.’’ She nodded in the embrace. ‘’Baby, I’m kind of tipsy now... Take me home will you?’’



‘’Of course, let’s go.’’



Yuri gently released Jessica, caressing the slightly flushed cheek, intertwining their hands and walked out of the kitchen. The brown haired girl tugged her on the arm.



‘’Yuri, I mean, take me back to your home.’’



***



‘’Just lean against the wall for awhile Soo, I need to unlock the door.’’



Sunny held her tall drunk girlfriend against the wall outside her apartment while she pushed the buttons of her password to gain entry back home. Sooyoung had been muttering and humming songs along the way back home, giggling at times as she mumbled things that Sunny had difficulties in decoding. Afraid that the drunken may throw up anytime, the petite girl decided to head for her house instead since it was a shorter travelling distance as compared to the alternative.



With a leg supporting the door to make space for Sooyoung to stumble her way in, she carried their belongings with one hand and the other to turn up the heater for the night was simply too chilly. The skinny giant fell onto the soft L-shaped sofa with a loud thud, exhaling loudly and wrapped her arms around her cold body. Sunny retrieved the blanket by the end of the seat, covering the trembling body before entering the room to wet a towel to clean the alternative up.



‘’Sunny, I think I…’’ Sooyoung put her entire weight on her both arms against the coffee table with her head dropping. ‘’I need to throw… Throw up… Like, now.’’



Thanks to her fast reflex, Sunny managed to stuff a bin between Sooyoung’s hands before she threw up all over the place. The latter clasped onto her flat tummy as her intestines felt as though they were all tangled while she emptied her stomach. Nothing felt more miserable than the state she was in then. Her aching body, throbbing head and overwhelming emotions. Sunny brushed her on the back constantly, wiping those beads of perspiration away from her forehead and fixed her messed up fringe aside.



‘’I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…’’




Almost intangibly, she whispered apologetically for the mess she created with warm tears stinging her eyes, threatening to fall any moment. She didn’t look up from the bin until someone took it and put it away, holding onto her icy hands.



‘’It’s perfectly fine and you did nothing wrong. Are you feeling better?’’ Sunny gave a bright smile, soon noticing the tears sparkling in those blood shot eyes. ‘’Why are you crying? My Sooyoungie must be suffering now right? Let me go make you some hot tea.’’



‘’I’m fine. Don’t go.’’ Sooyoung tightened her grip on the wrist when the other turned away, about to get up to leave for the kitchen. She placed her head on Sunny’s legs with her body curled up side-way like a foetus, pulling the arm over her shoulders clutching on it dearly when a tear escaped. ‘’There’s something that I want to tell you now while the alcohol is taking effect and before I lose my courage…’’



‘’What’s wrong silly? Why are you weeping? What is it?’’



‘’I said I don’t mind how Sungmin is wooing you; I’m sorry I lied. It actually scares the hell out of me. I thought I could handle it since I did fine at first. I hate to admit this but I do feel threatened by Mr.Perfection. I don’t want to lose you, not to him or anybody. I love you. I want to do something to prove it, but I just can’t think of the best way to do so. I don’t buy you nine dresses when I ask you out for a date, neither do I book the entire theatre and tell the cashier to charge it to my card when we go for movies. I don’t know what position I am in to tell you to stay with me but I’m still going to ask you.’’ The fading voice suggested that wariness of taking over the drunken girl, almost drifting into dreamland. ‘’Don’t ever leave me okay my sunshine? I’m so sorry for all my lacking… But… I… I really love you…’’



Sooyoung skimmed her face against the leg and officially lost her consciousness, but her grip on the arm was still as tight. Her skinny body frame trembled slightly and soon stopped after she was covered with the blanket. Sunny stared at her girlfriend mindlessly as she brushed her hand against the smooth and slightly cold face, pushing the fringe backwards. Leaning down, she pressed her lips on the side of the head, then the ear. After which, she softly spoke into it.



‘’How can anyone ever snatch me away when you are always so sweet, so thoughtful, and most importantly when my heart has always been with you…?’’



***



The pain in her head was so strong that it woke her up from her deep slumber. She ruffled her hair and looked to the clock by her bedside. She groaned when she realised it was already one in the afternoon. Reluctantly, she got up from the bed. Holding her head with her hands, she tried so hard to recall how she managed to get home but all the thinking was worsening her headache. She briefly washed up and took small steps out to the living room. An aroma perked her up slightly while she tried to locate the source of the scent. She entered the kitchen and saw a pot on the stove with a thermo flask on the counter. She picked up the small note under it.



‘’WooRi right?

I heard from Sunny that you can’t hold liquor well, so I figured you will suffer a tremendous hangover. I brewed some ginger root tea for you in the flask, hopefully it’s still warm. It cures hangovers. You threw up quite a lot last night so you are probably having an empty stomach now. Have some porridge in the pot first. See you in the café someday.

Hyoyeon.’’



Almost instantly, her tummy grumbled and eagerly, she scooped a bowl full of food, settling down at the table without peeling her eyes off the note. Slowly as she was piecing up bits and pieces of the event from the previous night, she recounted how Hyoyeon drank her last share of punishment. It was only then when she came to discover that the blonde was also the one who took the effort to send her home.



Unknowingly, a smile crept up WooRi’s face as she sent spoons after spoons of the delicious porridge, dissolving the entire bowl in no time. She poured herself a cup of tea and gave it a smell when her phone rang.



‘’Hey Sunny!’’



‘’Thank goodness you are still alive and sounding really energised, unnie. I thought you would be struggling to even get out of bed. Hyoyeon sent you home last night, you know, my friend?’’



‘’Your friend is really nice. She even left me a pot of porridge and brewed me tea. Help me thank her will you?’’



‘’You can do it yourself. I called to ask if you are actually feeling good enough to accompany her to go get certain ingredients the café needs when it reopens for business next week. Taeyeon has to go for therapy today so Tiffany is obviously unavailable too. Can you go?’’



Nodding with a beam, WooRi agreed. ‘’Yeah of course, I’m good.’’



‘’Alright, I’ll tell you about it and leave it to you both to do the rest. Bye unnie.’’



The tea was like a magic potion, for the headache was actually diminishing as WooRi did the dishes. She had no idea why, but she was secretly anticipating going stock purchasing with Hyoyeon, who she barely knew for a day. Maybe it was the way the alternative had handsomely offered to take her drink, or it was the caring gesture of brewing tea and cooking porridge that made WooRi’s heart throbbed. Whatever possibility it may be, the girl knew that it was going to be a good day.