CHAPTER 15

LOVE CONTRACT

Jessica’s POV:



I stirred on the bed when I felt a hand brushing against my neck and it was a little stinging when it brushed across my little scratches. Jung Soo came back to my mind again and I pushed the person away.



‘’Yuri!’’



The name just came out so naturally whenever I felt unsafe. I looked around and saw no one around me.



‘’Unnie! Help me up!’’



I scooted over to the end of my bed, almost colliding my head against my sister’s just as she picked herself up. I totally forgot the fact that I was already home and got scared when I saw no Yuri. I stretched my hand out to pull Krystal back on the bed before lying back onto the bed and pulled the covers over my head.



I miss Yuri so badly, even though it was merely a few hours since I was last with her.



‘’Unnie, what happened to your neck and arm? It looked like you had a fight or something.’’ Krystal patted me on my . ‘’Oh my god. Did you do something with Yuri Unnie?!’’



Still aghast, I refused to answer my sister’s question. What’s wrong with these kids nowadays? Corrupted minds and speeches. I wondered what their teachers taught them during character education classes. Plus… From my understanding of Soojungie, she would definitely blame herself about telling JungSoo my whereabouts and rush off to fight for justice.



She flopped down on my bed and joined me under my blanket. We stared at each other for quite some time without talking. Apparently she had something on her mind, because she was biting on her thumb again like how she always would when she thinks. Somehow I realized that my dong seng resembles Yuri. Maybe the next time I pine for that girl, I can look at Krystal.



‘’Unnie, what does it feels to be in love?’’



‘’Hmm… Judging from Tiff and Taeng, I think it should be sweet. You know, life would be blissful and you would most probably be oblivious towards every single thing except for the one you love. Look at Tiff after she got together with Taeng. She used to complain that doing eye smile was a tiring thing but now she does it every minute every second as long as she’s with Taeyeon. Provided that she wasn’t having mood swings about anything.’’



‘’Hmm…’’ She paused to think for a while. ‘’Then how do you confirm if you like somebody?’’



Her question suddenly drew memories of Yuri and me in Taeyeon’s café on the first day we met. I asked her the same thing too, wanting to know how she could be so assured that she was in love with Yoona.



‘’Well, they always say if you are always thinking about someone no matter what you are doing, yearning to see that person every time means you like them.’’



I quoted Yuri’s words and conveyed it to my sister.



‘’Somebody once told me that if there’s always this one person in your mind that you wish to see no matter whichever situation you are in, that means you like them.’’



Yuri was absolutely right. Because that’s exactly how I feel for her.



‘’Is it okay to like someone of your own gender?’’



‘’Silly girl, but of course! Look at Tiff and Taeyeon. They are both girls but they are so happy and matching together. Love isn’t about the gender but the feelings.’’



Tears began to well up in those eyes and I was a little taken aback by that. Nevertheless, I never enquire about anything but kissed her on the cheek and waited for her to tell me what was going on. I could more or less infer what was going on, still, it was better for her to speak up on her own.



‘’Sulli had indirectly confessed to me a yesterday on her blog and…..’’



*FLASHBACK*



Sulli and Krystal went to the little playground around the corner from their school, sitting under the big, shady oak tree. The two girls had been best friends since Krystal came to Korea and they were inseparable since then.



They were nibbling on their ice cream cones and talked about things that least concerned them, joked about the lamest stuff on earth. Sulli pushed the cone and smudged some ice cream onto her friend’s lips, ended up with the same messy state. She pulled out her phone and suggested that they should snap a picture together. Without hesitation, Krystal agreed.



‘’I’m going to post this on my blog tomorrow. Remember to go read it okay? I have got things to tell you…’’ Sulli shyly asked.



‘’Just tell me now, I don’t like to wait.’’



‘’Please, just wait for it okay?’’



‘’Fine, if you say so. But it better not be something stupid okay? I will chop you into pieces if you are going to edit my face with photo shop.’’



‘’I’m not so childish, you got to trust me. But just so you know, I don’t want an answer until you feel that you are ready.’’



‘’What are you trying to implying? Is something wrong? You found a new best friend right? Is that Luna from our music class?! Damn, I should have done something instead of chatting with Amber! Now someone else is going to snatch you away!’’ Krystal pouted and took a big bite of Sulli’s ice cream as a form of punishment.



‘’Are you jealous that Luna asked me out for lunch? Aww come on Jungie! I didn’t even agree! Talking about Amber and you just agitates me. You looked like you enjoyed flirting with her!’’



‘’I wasn’t flirting! I was just socializing! She’s new to the school and she’s an American too. You know I hardly get to find friends that I can converse with in English! I’m more comfortable with my language, you know that! How could you pick on me like that? Bully!’’



Krystal stood up and walked away in a huff with her best friend tagging behind. They both threw away their ice creams at the same time and the glaring contest began. However, it didn’t take too long before one of them started to laugh and that was when the ice was broken again.



‘’Jungie, promise me no matter what happens, you will always be with me okay?’’



‘’Cross my heart.’’



*END OF FLASHBACK*



‘’So I saw her blog post the next day and got a shock. I never knew that she would be so indirect in being direct! If you get what I’m saying… I got frightened because I have no idea what was going to happen and how I should answer her. I ended up avoiding her calls and texts… I feel really bad but I don’t know how I am supposed to react…’’ 



I thought for a slight moment before nodding my head. ‘’Let’s do a simple quiz, shall we? Pretend that you both were stuck in a winter storm. Someone came along, gave you a blanket and two choices. Either you use it and Sulli suffers, or you will have to give up the blanket and suffer together. Which one will you pick?’’



‘’I would give it up! There’s no way I will let my friend suffer alone!’’ She didn’t even have to think.



‘’Let me conclude. Your friend means more than a friend to you already. Will you give up the blanket if it was somebody else? You’re in love, Soojungie.’’



She blinked her tears away and looked up at the ceiling. She bit her thumb again and I slapped her finger out of . It was so unhygienic. Instead of flaring at me, she turned over grinning like an idiot. A really pretty one though.



‘’I know what I should do already Unnie. Thank you so much! I got to go find my best frie- No wait, I’m going to find my love! See you later!’’ Her voice faded away slowly and the slamming sound of our house apartment echoed through the hallway.



Other than being elated for my younger sibling, I envied that she could bravely fight for the one she likes and be with that person. I teach people on how to woo their happiness but here I were, sulking about how I should push the one I love away to the one she loves….



*vibrates*



I looked at the caller ID and saw Yuri’s name popped out. My heart skipped a beat and my sweaty palms were starting again.



‘’Hello?’’



‘’Sica, do you want to have dinner together?’’



I was about to reply before I pasued for a moment. I didn’t want Yuri to know that I was eager to see her. Potraying myself as a desperate girl was absolutely the last thing I wanted.



‘’Tonight… I guess dinner would be good.’’



‘’Nothing’s bad with you around. Let’s eat at Taeyeon’s café should we? I think they are worried for your disappearance that day.’’



‘’Hmm… I figured.’’



‘’Sica?’’



I love it whenever she calls my name like this. It melts my heart. ‘’Yes?’’



‘’I can’t wait to see you.’’



I giggled and rolled around on the bed, drowning in her words. ‘’Stop being so cheesy!’’



‘’But someone’s enjoying it.’’ She laughed. ‘’I should leave the teasing till later on. I will pick you up in two hours’ time alright? Don’t miss me too much! Bye!’’



I hung up, smiling, and looked at my wallpaper. Yuri possessed everything that a perfect lover should have and there was seriously nothing else that I could teach her anymore. Falling for her was wrong but love was never right I guess. Maybe I should just allow myself to indulge in our less few weeks of time together.



***



‘’Yah Sica, so what happened that day after you left with Jung Soo?’’ Hyoyeon asked me after we all finished our dessert at Taeyeon’s cafe.



Just by mentioning that name made my nerves tensed up and my body stiffened. I guess it was obvious since Yuri slipped her hand around my waist and pulled me closer, whispering into my ear.



‘’Don’t be afraid, I’m here. Do you want me to explain to them behalf of you?’’



I gave her a little smile and nodded my head with much anticipation. She rubbed her nose against mine and turned to clarify to my three friends.



‘’Jung Soo tried to take advantage of Sica when they were together in the deep woods because he was rejected once again.’’



Tiffany’s hands shot up to and Taeyeon gave a disgusted face while Hyoyeon remained stationary with a shocked, dumbfounded expression. Nobody spoke for that certain period and I was petrified if they would despise me from now on.



‘’But Yuri found me just in time! He didn’t manage to do anything to me! Please don’t... Please don’t look at me differently because of this incident...’’



I choked on my words and a pang of fear gushed through my body. Fany stood up and drew me in for a tight embrace. It was only then when the remaining girls snapped out of their daze.



‘’What were you thinking, Jessie? We would never judge you according to such stuff. We would never judge you because you are our best friend. Why didn’t you inform me immediately?’’



‘’That irksome shameless man! How could he do such a thing to you?! How dare him! He must be courting his own death! I’m going to get him!’’



Taeyeon slammed her palm on the table so loud that everything shook and a fork dropped on the floor. She stood up but got held back by Hyoyeon. I let out a little beam when I saw their reactions.



‘’Did you report to the police, Sica?’’ Hyoyeon was as calm as always, but like Tiffany, she had blood shot eyes. I could sense their anxiousness towards me and it made me felt so heart warming.



‘’No I didn’t... I wanted no more hassles. I don’t want to get reminded about it again and again in order to aid the police for their investigations, attend court and more. Plus, Jung Soo’s family was counted as a rather big company within the country. If I were to do it, I would get into endless troubles.’’



‘’He better don’t show up anymore before I peel his skin off and chop him into million pieces! I’m so sorry Sica, I hope I could do something for you.’’ The eldest girl took my hand into hers as Tiffany was still holding onto me.



I saw Hyoyeon looking at me with concerns from the side of eye and I was thankful for my supportive friends. It wasn’t long before we all settled back down at our positions again when someone’s phone rang.



‘’Hello Yoona, what can I do for you?’’



All our attentions were diverted to the tanned girl beside me. She gazed at me while she spoke on the phone, gently brushing my hair.



‘’I’m at Taeyeon’s cafe with Sica and her friends. Yes I’m free now but hold on a minute please.’’ She covered the speaker of the phone and whispered to us all. ‘’Yoona and Seohyun are outside somewhere right now and they want to pass me the pictures we took that day. Do you guys mind if I tell them to drop by here?’’



‘’No problem, get them. We would like to see the outcome too.’’ Taeyeon agreed.



She mouthed a thank you and left the place to direct the girls from outside. I watched her back and felt a shiver down my spine. There was a tiny bit of fear beginning to engulf me slowly from within. Maybe it was because of Yoona’s arrival in a while.



‘’Sorry for my short absence. Yoon and Seohyun would be making their way over and reach about twenty minutes later.’’ Yuri joined me back at the sofa.



‘’I can’t wait to see the pictures! The process felt great and I bet the pictures would turn out great.’’ Tiffany could barely hide her excitement and voiced out some of her thoughts regarding that day’s photo shoot along with some random topics.



I leaned onto the shoulder and slumped deeply into the sofa with Yuri as we flipped through the same magazine. She came up with so many jokes that cracked us up so badly and I truly love how she managed to entertain all of us. Could I really let her go when the contract is up...?



I shook away the negative thoughts and forced myself back into the reality. I shouldn’t be bothered by things like this right now, I should just make use of our remaining time to create memories that only belong to us. It was then when the bells collided against the glass door and two young girls came into the cafe.



‘’Good evening Unnies, I hope we didn’t disturb your meal time.’’ Yoona politely owed and the photographer followed suit.



‘’Is this pretty dongseng Im Yoona? Her beauty is blinding me.’’ Hyoyeon asked and we all nodded our heads while the latter shook the two girls’ hands and introduced herself.



‘’The pictures turned out really well, and I might actually send them in for an upcoming competition after I submit them for the project required. Thanks for all the help.’’



We all crowded around the table and browsed through them that Seohyun took out from the envelope in her bag. I saw the last picture with Yuri lying on Yoona’s laps. They were so beautiful and the sun ray made them glowed even more. They looked so angelic like a pair of heavenly-made couple.



My sight slowly drifted to Yoona who was savouring the waffles and ice cream that Taeyeon offered them. She ate like a contented little child, smiling at every bite of her dessert. I felt so remorseful for falling in love with someone that was supposed to be hers. My attention was diverted back to the tanned girl when she intervolved our hands while she went on looking at the photos. I hesitated about whether I should withdraw my hand but she soon let go to pack up the shattered images.



***



Nobody’s POV:



Hyoyeon stared at the new arrivals as they had their desserts. Yoona stained the corner of with a little ice cream and Seohyun took a tissue to wipe it off. Being a veteran in her industry, she could sense something going on with the both of them.



‘’Did you put the parking coupon in your car Seohyun ah? The ticket attendant likes to come around this period.’’ Taeyeon kindly reminded the latter.



‘’I didn’t because I don’t have any more left. Do you know if there are any shops that would sell them in this estate?’’



‘’I still have some in my car. Why not you come with me and I will pass you some then we will go to your car together?’’ Hyoyeon suggested and the two girls wasted no time, taking off to get some coupons.



The taller but younger girl noticed that her companion had been eyeing her ever since they stepped out of the café and she had no idea what was wrong. She didn’t ask, for the fact that it was such an awkward situation.



‘’What do you think of Yoona?’’



The sudden and random question had caught Seohyun in surprise. She glanced into the other pair of eyes and raised her brows.



‘’I’m sorry?’’



‘’I mean, how was your working experiences with Yoona? Sorry for my lack of vocabulary.’’



‘’Oh… Now I get what you mean. She’s fine I guess. I’m very comfortable with her.’’



‘’She looks like a nice girl.’’



‘’She definitely is. She’s not just nice, she is also very caring and friendly. She’s full of justice, always standing up for the interns under me whenever I reprimand them. She is pretty, and she sings well. Not to mention her cooking, it was awesome. None of my past models possessed half her beauty. But she has a huge appetite that would most probably scare off everyone that doesn’t know her.’’



Seohyun lowered her head and brushed her finger across her nose while she smiled, recalling all those moments she shared with Yoona. The first hug at the hospital, the first meal they had together, the first breakfast they shared that Yoona cooked for her. Every of these little fragments they built together were so precious.



‘’You like her, don’t you?’’



Hyoyeon was further affirmed of the feelings the latter carried for her client’s crush and went straight with her question. She never liked beating around the bush, and she believed that the photographer would not mind.



‘’What?’’ Seohyun was slightly taken aback. ‘’Do you have a motive?’’



‘’Don’t misunderstand me, I’m just curious because you described her like she’s a piece of rare gem that nobody could ever find in their life again. It just triggered my interest. Let’s drop the topic if you don’t want to talk about it. I’m sorry.’’



She unlocked her car and tore a few pieces of coupon, passing it to the girl behind her.



‘’You know what? I do like her. I do like Yoona.’’