CHAPTER 21

LOVE CONTRACT


From: SOOYEONIE
To: SOOJUNGIE
9:53PM



’Krysie, can you come in please?’’



It wasn’t too long before there was a knock on her door and the knob twisting open. Krystal shut the door, leaning against it.



‘’Before you say anything, let me say something Jessie. You have been an awesome sister, no doubt. It scared me to see you react in such way when something happened to you and Yuri Unnie but yet not knowing what occurred. I truly wished I could have been a better and much sensitive sister instead of hollering at you in the toilet. You stood by me when I had problems with Sulli but all I ever thought about how petrified I felt when you broke down! I’m sorry sis, I truly am.’’



Jessica gazed at her younger sister, her eyes filled with gratitude and remorse. She was thankful that her actions were now accepted, but yet she was guilty that her sister was having an inner eruption, self-reproaching. She spread her arms.



‘’Come to Unnie.’’



The eighteen leaped into her embrace, bawling almost instantly.



‘’Why are you crying, silly?’’



‘’I was so scared that you might leave or hurt yourself, it had never came across my mind that you have your vulnerable side too.’’



‘’Shh… Stop crying. I’m sorry, the aftermath was just a little overwhelming and I needed to calm down. I’m still your Jessica that you can approach and talk to.’’



She pushed the girl away gently and wiped away those tears. ‘’Now, to make up to you, how about a trip back to America, back to Mummy? All expenses included, and you can ask anyone along.’’



***



‘’Sica Unnie, you sure I can come along? I mean, it’s going to cost a bomb…’’



‘’Yes Sulli, don’t worry. We still have a house back there so basically, lodging is free and it’s not costly since it’s not festive season. Just go and enjoy yourself. It’s time for Mum to meet her younger daughter’s love too.’’



Jessica teased and laughed when the teenagers’ cheeks turned pink.



‘’Jessie! What are you talking about?’’



Looking at her sister, ’’Sulli only needs Little Jung’’, then turning to the other, ‘’And Little Jung only needs Sulli. I stalk you both on me2day, you know?’’



Both girls giggled out of shyness while Jessica shifted her gaze back onto the computer screen to further confirm for all the flight details. She could see her own reflection through the buffering homepage and all she did was stare at herself, calculating in her heart. Making up to Krystal was just an excuse she came up with to escape from this place. Hyoyeon was right. She needed to take a breather from all the events.



As she stared, all the memories she shared with Yuri came back flashing in her mind. Still unaware of why the tanned girl had gave in to Yoona when she was kissed, she was actually reluctant to let it pass. But there was nothing she could do about right now. She feared rejections. She feared that if it was just her one-sided foolish assumption. She was uncertain, and definitely unwilling to accept another blow in such a short period of time.



‘’So… Are you telling anyone about our trip, like someone other than Tiffany, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon Unnie…?’’



‘’If you are talking about Yuri, Krystal, then the answer is no and our flight is confirmed at tomorrow night, 7:45PM.’’



***



Yuri rang the bell for so many times that she had lost count but not getting any responses. She paced around the hallway, checking the clock on her phone from time to time. Leaning onto the wall with her head against her hand, she tapped her feet anxiously and bit her lip.



She hadn’t been able to contact Jessica since she parted from Yoona the previous evening, having all her calls transferred to mailbox and not getting any text replies. Initially, she thought that Jessica was just occupied with her work or asleep after the tedious day. But when she attempted to ring up the latter this morning, the line was still unable to get through.



She didn’t want to bother Jessica by going down to her apartment, however, the same situation occurred throughout the day and it worried her. It reminded her of the incident up in the woods a few months back which made her heart shrunk. The anticipation of receiving a call or a text was slowly diminishing, throwing her in a panic state. She needed to have something, some news. She needed Jessica.



She flung the blanket away and jumped off her bed that she hadn’t leave except for freshening up since morning, rushing into the comfort room to have a quick shower before taking off to Jessica’s house. The accelerator of her car was stepped on so hard and horning sounds filled the road that she zoomed past. Given the speed that she was driving at, it took her half the average time she usually takes to reach.



Looking at the time on her phone screen, it was already 7:18PM. She had been waiting since forty minutes ago and she was just that bit away from being dead. She was drowning in the sea of missing and yearning for Jessica. Deciding that she had enough of waiting, she sped her way down to the next destination that she assumed Jessica would be at.



Her heart was beating like her foot pace; fast and unstable. Her palms were sweaty and she was clutching so hard onto the bag of food she gotten beforehand. Knocking gently on the door, she entered.



‘’Hey girls.’’



The girls were acting strangely as soon as she stepped into the room. Tiffany nudged Hyoyeon who was on the phone and the alternative hurried ended her conversation while the patient was fast asleep.



‘’Got to go, call me when you reach. Take care, we love you.’’ She hung up. ‘’Hey Yuri.’’



The tall girl gave a weak smile. ‘’How’s Taeyeon?’’



‘’Couple of tough nights but she’s much better now. She hadn’t regained her hearings yet but she’s still progressing well. Though she doesn’t look as bright now…’’ Tiffany sighed, the fair skin of her girlfriend.



‘’Keep on going and stay strong, I believe she will recover in no time. Don’t worry so much. You need to take care of yourself too. You look exhausted.’’



‘’I told her the same thing too. She hardly ever sleeps or eats. Basically, she stations here all day long.’’ Hyoyeon joined them by the bed side.



‘’Hmm… I’m wondering, have Jessica contacted any of you? I can’t find her ever since yesterday late afternoon… And I’m pretty, you know, perturbed.’’



Hyoyeon put her hand over Yuri’s shoulder while Tiffany turned away. ‘’Let’s talk over a cup of coffee.’’



***



Yuri sat there, dumbstruck. All the questions went speeding through her mind, unable to think on the right track. She was not just experiencing a brain malfunction but heart ache. She could never imagine her baby; all broken and locked in a vehicle bawling like there was no tomorrow. She had always been there for Jessica whenever she was weak and needed a shoulder to lean on, but this time round, she was the reason behind those dreadful tears. Across the table, Hyoyeon looked at her as she sipped on her hot beverage. The hot stream was mustering over the tanned girl’s forlorn face.



‘’But… But that kiss, it meant nothing!’’



‘’You don’t have to explain to me, Yuri. You need to explain to Sica.’’



‘’Where is she? I need to see her! I want to see her!’’



Hyoyeon shook her head. ‘’She’s gone.’’



‘’Gone? What do you mean by gone?’’



‘’She took the night flight back to USA and I was on the phone with her before she boarded the plane when you came. She will be back, but not so soon.’’



Yuri dropped her head and punched the table, her heart pumping rapidly as she missed Jessica more and more. She wanted to stay strong, not shed any tears in front of anyone but it was just too much for her to withstand. Her lips quivered and those warm liquid moistened her eyes, soon splattering down her cheeks. She covered her face with both hands, bending over the table. She prayed inside, hoping that she could rewind time and undo all the done. But of course, it was not possible. She wished that once she opened her eyes again, Jessica would be right in front of her.



‘’Do you love her, Yuri? Do you love my best friend?’’



Yuri removed her hands away, not crying for that second. She blinked her tears away to get a clearer view of Hyoyeon. Slowly, she nodded.



‘’I love her, Jessica.’’



‘’If you do, why didn’t you tell her? She went through such a bumpy road trying to put you and Yoona together despite her heart that pins for you! That kiss, it crushed her world. All she ever did in the car was screaming at the top of her lungs for you. Do you, Kwon Yuri, do you have any idea how deep she had fallen for you?’’



***



‘’Mum!’’



The middle-aged woman turned her head over upon the calling, not seeing anyone. She lowered her head again to continue reading while soaking under the sun in her small little front garden surrounded by the potted plants she grew over the years. Gardening had became her favourite past time ever since she sent her two daughters back to her birth country to study. It was a little lonely for her, expecially on days when special occasion takes place.



She placed her book down on the table and took over the cup of tea instead, enjoying the peaceful afternoon as she watched her neighbours played with their sons. She let out a soft sigh when the thought of not having her children by her side surfaced up her mind. Now that Jessica’s birthday is approaching, remorse hit her once again for not having enough courage to fly back to Korea to celebrate the special day for her kid.



‘’Mum!’’



She heard someone called out again and this time round, it was nobody but her younger daughter. She remained on her chair, mind still processing the reality of Krystal back with her.



‘’Mum I miss you!’’



Krystal pulled her up and engulfed her in a big bear hug. It was only then when she realized that none of this was part of a sweet dream but reality.



‘’My god, my little baby girl! Omma misses you so much!’’ She caressed Krystal’s face, refusing to peel her sight off her love that she had not seen for so many years. Her daughter giggled when she gave quick pecks all over the head and snuggled closer.



‘’Look at you, so tall now! Omma have to look up to talk to you and definitely prettier now. Soojung you grew so well! Is this your friend?’’



Krystal turned to pull Sulli over to her side, facing her mum with their hands intertwined.



‘’Mummy, meet my girlfriend Sulli.’’



Mrs Jung was stunned for a minute, but soon broke out into a wide grin. ‘’I’m so proud of you sweetie!’’ She swop to Korean. ‘’You are very sweet looking, Sulli. Welcome to America. I will make sure Krysie bring you around to have some decent shopping and sight-seeing. My daughter’s taste is so excellent. Jessica must have taught you well. Speaking of which, where is your sister?’’



‘’Mummy.’’



She shifted her gaze towards the voice source and a pulchritudinous, mature-looking girl that no longer had striking blonde hair. Those glances eventually were blurred out when she felt Jessica in her arms.



‘’Oh Jessica… My sweetheart.’’



Similarly, Mrs Jung planted a kiss on the latter’s side, encircling her hands tightly around the waist which had shrunk down some size since the last time they met. The brown-haired couldn’t stomach all the emotions engulfing her from within and let tears slid down her cheeks. That was the touch she missed so much and she yearned for so badly. A hurt child returning to their home to look for some comfort and Mummy was always available; just like this instant.



‘’You lost so much weight girl, it was tough right?’’ Her mother wiped her face dry, running fingers through her hair. She shook her head with much affirmation.



‘’No Mum, nothing was hard. It’s just that I haven’t seen you for a long time and I miss your touches and kisses.’’



‘’I was well-behaved so Sica had no problems with me Mum! Really!’’



Krystal crossed her heart with her hand and laughter erupted. Home was always the best.



***



‘’Krystal, show Sulli the way to your room. I believe it’s better to put you girls in the same space. Hurry go! I will get you girls when it’s time for dinner!’’



‘’Alright Mum, we are going to wash up then nap. I miss your cooking.’’ Krystal said between her yawns and took Sulli upstairs with their hands still locked. Soon enough, the door of the room opened and closed, leaving Mrs Jung and Jessica alone in the living room.



‘’Let me help you with dinner, Mum.’’



‘’No Jess, you should get some rest. I know it’s difficult to adopt to the jet lag, and a girl like you who loves sleeping so much would suffer more!’’



Jessica simpered, walking into the kitchen and headed towards the fridge to take a look at what was available for dinner’s preparation. All the ingredients suggested a western meal and she was delighted. She could barely recall when was the last time she had any proper American food back in Korea.



‘’I’m fine Mum, and I slept on the plane already. I want to spend as much time as I could with you.’’



‘’If you insist. It’s great to have you girls back here. I’m sorry for being such a wimp and left you two there. I hope you are doing well without me…’’



‘’We coped well, but it could be better if we were all together.’’



The mother and daughter each gave a bitter smile when their eyes met while the proceeded on with their roles.



‘’Something happened to you, Sooyeon. Mum could tell.’’



The girl looked up at the woman that was dealing with the proteins after she stopped her cuttings. Mrs Jung didn’t look at her child, but she could sense a different compound in Jessica. The latter placed her knife on the chopping board and dragged out a high chair underneath the bar to sit. She fiddled with the apron.



‘’I… I fell in love.’’



Mrs Jung paused and smiled. ‘’That’s the first time.’’



‘’And probably the last time too. It hurts, mum.’’ The scene of Yuri responding to Yoona’s affection pained her again, stinging her in the chest.



‘’What’s her name and how did you meet her? Describe her for me would you?’’



‘’Her name is Kwon Yuri and I met her through my job. She… She is tall, and tanned for a Korean. She has deep brown eyes that never fail to let me feel secured, cared and defended. She has a very refined and sharp nose that I love to run my finger across when she’s asleep. Her smile is what captures everyone’s heart, be it a stranger or not. It always brightens up my day if I was gloomy, and it always made it better if I was in a great mood.’’



‘’So, what went wrong?’’



‘’I guess, she just didn’t see me like I did.’’



Jessica stared into the open space, heart pining for Yuri. She didn’t shed any tears, and neither would she. Maybe it was her mother’s presence that made her stronger, or maybe, it’s just her being foolish and not willing to let go.



‘’I’m sorry to hear that darling. But I believe that you will eventually find the one for you. Sometimes, the reason why some things get taken or snatched away from you is because in that way, you can have free hands to catch better things in the future. You need to learn to let go. That’s the best blessing you can ever give to the one you love.’’



‘’I love Yuri, so I should let her go find her happiness…’’



‘’That’s right my girl. You will meet the one that is more worthy of your love.’’



***



Yuri walked at a speed so slow that even the youngest child and oldest man had surpassed her, heading off to their destinations. She couldn’t help it but let Hyoyeon’s words rung in her head. She was told things about Jessica that she was totally clueless of and learnt about how had lost her love.



*FLASHBACK*



‘’If you do, why didn’t you tell her? She went through such a bumpy road trying to put you and Yoona together despite her heart that pins for you! That kiss, it crushed her world. All she ever did in the car was screaming at the top of her lungs for you. Do you, Kwon Yuri, do you have any idea how deep she had fallen for you?’’



Hyoyeon stopped to keep her cool. She threw her back against the chair and launched a glare at Yuri. Undeniably, she was slightly agitated, but seeing the client so forsaken just made her wants to help the two love birds reconcile.



‘’Yuri, go look for Jessica. I know she would still be waiting for you no matter under what circumstances. Go get her and confess, let her know your true feelings! She would probably put up a strong front and pretend everything was okay. She’s best at pretending. This is her address in United States. My best friend needs you. The last time I saw her, she locked herself in the room, refusing to come out and do you know what she did? She sat beneath the cold running water for the whole night just thinking about you. Her body was like a block of ice when we found her.’’



Yuri clutched her fist even more and a string of void feeling attacked her from all directions. Suddenly she felt like she was blind mice, unable to see her future because Jessica was her sunshine and she was losing it.



*END OF FLASHBACK*



She had no idea since when had she viewed Jessica as someone that she long to protect and love as compared to a Lover For Loan but she was certain that the affections between them both were not just ‘’practices’’ of what she would want to do with her crush. All those actions were only meant for Jessica.’’



In fact, Yoona had barely ever come across her mind after she began to hang out with the alternative. She was just insensitive about the revolution of feelings and it caused the biggest regret of her life. Yuri took a seat on the big field in the park, scanning though the place where couples and families were enjoying the time of their life. Hugging her knees to her chest, she stared at the boundless dark sky.



‘’Yah Yuri!’’



Soon after the calling that she couldn’t bother to answer to, a girl settled down beside her.



‘’What happened? Hyoyeon called saying that you left looking really upset and told me to look for you here. She had been following you.’’



Yuri kept her eyes at the clouds, wondering if Jessica was doing the same. The new arrival just sat there, observing her closely as she admired the starry night. It was strange, that the stars weren’t as bright as the time she saw with the American.



‘’Sooyoung ah…?’’



‘’Yes Yul?’’



‘’Is Doraemon your friend?’’



‘’Pardon me?’’ Sooyoung had a perplexed look, brows locked.



‘’If you are, can you help me borrow a time machine from it so I can rewind time to those days when everything was just my baby and I…?’’



***




The phone kept ringing, waking Taeyeon up from her rest. She shook her girlfriend gently to wake her up to answer the call. Tiffany picked up the phone and greeted the person on the other line with a yawn. The petite girl giggled at the adorable scene, then yawning herself too. It wasn’t too long before the American was done with the phone.



‘’Good morning Taeng.’’



‘’Good morning sweetie.’’



They both smiled and admired each other for a brief moment. Their hands intertwined when they both realized the situation.



‘’I… I can hear you again, Fany ah. I can hear now!’’



‘’Oh my god Taetae!’’



Tiffany leaned in to hug her girlfriend, kissing her on the top of the head. Softly, she the injury on the back, refusing to let go. But it was not like Taeyeon minded a single bit. In fact, she wished for it to go on and on, for she liked the kind of warmth and close interaction. She felt a drop of warm liquid dripping onto her shirt and pushed the girl away gently.



‘’Fany, what happened? Why are you crying?’’



The girl couldn’t hold in her emotions anymore. She had been pressing her feelings within ever since her girlfriend was hospitalized because she wanted to stay strong for Taeyeon, to allow the alternative to know that everything was fine. Suddenly, she just couldn’t control her worries despite it was a good thing that Taeyeon’s hearing came back.



‘’I don’t know, Tae… I… All these whiles I had been trying to not reveal any of my torment but all of sudden I just can’t take it anymore.’’



‘’I know, I know you were afraid of losing me, don’t you Fany? Don’t cry, I’m here. I’m still here and I’ll always be here. I haven’t protected you enough so I’m never going to leave. I’m recovering already. We both know I’m slowly getting better so stop letting your fear consume you. Hold my hand when you’re scared, so I can guide you to feel my heartbeat and understand that your Taetae will forever be by your side.’’



Slowly, those tears were subsiding and a small smile rose upon the fair face of Tiffany’s. Closing in, she brushed her nose against the other, and then was captured on her lips. She liked how her girlfriend always managed to calm the commotion which disrupted her mind inside out.



‘’Fany ah…’’ The patient drew away, ‘’Remember that day before you left, you whispered something against my ear but I couldn’t hear. Can you say it again, please?’’



Tiffany raised her eyebrows, recalling what she had said back then while Taeyeon let out a dorky smile.



‘’I said goodnight, Taeyeon.’’ She teased, even though she had actually recounted what she muttered.



Taeyeon narrowed her eyes. ‘’Are you trying to tease me now?’’



‘’Really! Oh, maybe I said goodnight… Yeah, that’s probably what I said.’’



‘’Come on, you know what it was right?’’



‘’You couldn’t hear me at that time, how would you know what I said?’’ Tiffany’s eyes formed crescents and she laughed when the patient pouted.



‘’Tiffany..’’



‘’I swear all I said that night-‘’



‘’I love you. I love you very very much.’’



The diminutive girl cut her speech and it made her stop joking. All she felt was just touched. It had been some time since she last heard those words for the couple didn’t talk to each other, only communicating through text messages. No doubt she did received texts containing the sweet confession, but it was different to hear it again.



‘’You know what I said that day?’’ She closed in to the ear, exhaling into it. ‘’I love you, Taeyeon.’’



‘’Thank you Fany, for always being there for me, caring for me, looking out for me and loving me. Thank you for being the one I love the most in my life.’’



Tiffany giggled and hid her reddened cheeks by tucking her head into the crook of the neck. ‘’I’m going to tell your mum about what you just said! She’s going to kill you!’’



‘’No she won’t because she knew she gave birth to me so I can find you, date you and love you, making you the centre of my universe.’’