CHAPTER 10

LOVE CONTRACT



Seohyun’s POV:



‘’Seohyun! Sorry I’m late I-‘’



I walked away without even bothering to listen to her explanation. 



Do you have any idea how scared I was, Im Yoona? Unnie was supposed to pick me up from school that day when she returned to Korea but she never made it. The next time I saw her was at the hospital already. I hate it when people turn up later than arranged time because my mind would always run wild. 



I thought something happened to you, Yoona. 



‘’Hey, why won’t you listen to me? Stop walking so fast!’’



She ran behind me, pulling me back and put one of her hands on her waist, the other one on her chest while she caught her breath. Her face was so pale and she looked like she was going to faint anytime. Self-condemnation then took over me and I picked her up in the bride-style way, heading towards the nearest cafe I saw.



‘’Yah what are you doing?! Put me down! This is embarrassing!’’ 



I ignored her callings and entered the cafe with all the customers staring at me. Gently and slowly, I placed her on a sofa seat before I walked away to the counter.



‘’Can I have a piece of strawberry cheesecake, two ice mocha and a cup of warm water please?’’



The petite little girl with a baker’s hat snapped out of her stares and carried on with my order. I turned around to peek at the other girl behind, not wanting to be too obvious and saw her taking out an inhaler from her bag. My heart sank and I rushed over as fast as my legs could carry me. 



‘’Yah! Why didn’t you tell me that you got asthma?!’’



‘’Oh… You… Too fast…’’



‘’Babo! Why did you follow if I was too fast when you were clearly aware of your own condition?!’’



She made an okay hand signal with her long fingers and pointed towards the counter. The girl was back with my order. I went over and apologized before I paid. I looked at her with my brows locked together when she hesitated as I passed her the money. She seemed to read through my mind and voiced out.



‘’I saw your friend having an asthma attack just now so I changed one of your ice coffee to a hot one instead. It helps to ease the discomfort but I’m not sure if you’re fine with it. I can change it back if you mind.’’



I smiled at her good intention. ‘’Hot coffee is good, thanks.’’ 



‘’Here’s your change. Thank you and hope your friend’s better now.’’ 



I nodded and carried the tray of food back. I manage to take a quick glance at her nametag before I turned around. Yoona looked much better now, but she was still a little breathless. I took my own ice mocha and shifted the tray in front of her. 



‘’Originally I ordered an ice mocha for you but that girl said that hot coffee would help your asthma. Hope you don’t mind.’’



She waved her hand and I guess that meant she didn’t mind. She closed her eyes for barely thirty seconds and I hurry shook her by her side. 



‘’Yoona, you sure you are okay? Do you want to go to a doctor or something?’’



‘’I’m fine, don’t worry… I just tend to feel a little giddy when my asthma relapsed. Let me rest for fifteen minutes and I will be back to normal.’’



She shut her eyes again and I just sipped on my drink while I read the newspaper provided on the table. She shivered every now and then, and hugged herself protectively to fight away the coldness. I looked up to the ceiling. That explained. I placed her under the air conditioner. 



I took off my jacket and covered her skinny body. Her rather vexatious expression seemed to relaxed a bit. There was nothing much for me to do and time had passed fast. Unknowingly, I found myself admiring her outstanding features. 

I had worked with umpteen amount of models, be it professionals or students, but none possessed half her beauty.



Slowly, I watched her flinched for a moment, stirred in her seat and let out a silent yawn. She blinked her eyes to adapt to the sunlight shining on her face, then turning to look at me. We both did nothing except for staring until a grumble sound was heard.



She patted on her flat tummy and giggled. 



‘’The strawberry cheesecake is for you.’’



She beamed like a child and started digging in. She chewed carefully, savouring every single bite as her eyes explored her surroundings. She fixed her gaze at a certain point and I looked towards the direction, only to find the cake refrigerator filled with all the different kind of snacks.



I let out a sigh and stood up, heading towards the counter for the third time. I felt that her eyes were on my back but I carried on nevertheless.



‘’Need anything else?’’



‘’Emm… Can I have one of all the cakes you have please? And one more ice mocha too. Thanks.’’



Thankfully she didn’t glare at me as though I’m some cake monster. She’s a nice person, I must say. I tapped my fingers against the desk and saw a picture of the girl with someone else. They acted rather intimated in it, so I naturally assumed that it was her girlfriend. 



The both of them were pretty, and they could easily pass off as models. 



‘’Hope I didn’t keep you waiting. The hot coffee and the warm water are on the house. I believe those that you ordered previously had turned cold.’’



She reappeared in front of me and I was glad she mentioned it. I practically forgot that Yoona had slept for almost two hours. I bowed my thanks to her after I paid and returned. I was silently praying that I don’t trip and fall flat on these cakes, making a great embarrassment out of myself. 



I took the first cup of coffee away just before Yoona could reach out to it and handed her the newly brewed one. Her face lit up when I laid out all the food that she was eyeing earlier on. I just felt a need to make up to her for not listening to the explanation, indirectly leading to her asthma relapse. 



‘’Are all these for me?’’



I nodded. ‘’So, you feeling better now?’’



‘’Food always make me better! Thank you so much Seohyun! It must have cost a bomb right…?’’ The once elated face turned into a grateful yet remorseful one. ‘’I’m sorry for being late and I’m sorry for oversleeping. I must have caused you a lot of trouble.’’



‘’Don’t worry. Just eat your food so we can get cracking.’’



I picked up her fork and handed it to her, which she gladly received. She ate a small piece from every plate and it was interesting to watch her expressions changed whenever she tries a new dish. She offered some to me, but I politely rejected and continued sipping on my ice mocha. 



‘’Seohyun ah, can I ask you something?’’



I signalled her to go on.



‘’You weren’t merely pissed because I was late for our meeting right? I mean, there must be something behind it that makes you resent people being not on time so badly.’’



I supposed my actions showed it all. Yoona was late for barely ten minutes anyways. My phobia was getting worst. 



‘’On the day when my family’s private jet crashed, I was waiting for unnie to come pick me up from school like she promised before she left for America. But she never came, in fact, nobody came. Not even my house driver. When I got home, my house keeper told me that my parents were gone and Victoria was under rescue. Ever since that day, I never had liked anyone being late. Expecially people that I care for.’’



I never had revealed my family affairs to any outsiders before but I thought Yoona was trustable, since she had already saw Vic unnie at the hospital. I believe she would keep it to herself too. 



She nodded while the fork was still in . ‘’So your friends must be really punctual people huh?’’



‘’I have no friends.’’



She choked upon my words and I handed her the cup of warm water across the round table. I swear I would get offended if it was anyone else, but somehow a voice told me that she wasn’t picking on me purposely. 



‘’I’m so sorry Seohyun! I vow I had no ideas about all these things! I’m deeply sorry!’’



She pleaded with her doe eyes, making her looked so cute and lovable. I shrugged it off and took the napkin on the table to wipe her palm where she spat some of the pastries onto. 



‘’It no longer matters to me if I had friends or not, for I was perfectly comfortable with my current life.’’



‘’Then who do you go to when you need advices or someone to talk to?’’



She was a girl full of questions. I was getting a little impatient, but I decided that I should keep my cool. She won’t be asking so much if I didn’t walk away from her just now. 



‘’I go to Victoria in the hospital.’’



‘’But she doesn’t speak and she couldn’t give advices.’’ She spoke with filled with food. ‘’It’s okay since we’re friends now, you can come to me in the future. I might not be able to help but at least I can answer you.’’



‘’Are you mocking my sister?’’



Her action froze in the air and she looked at me awkwardly. 



‘’That’s not what I meant. I mean I can-‘’



‘’I get what you mean. I’m going to the washroom so you hurry finish your cakes. We don’t have much time left. The photo shoot is tomorrow, just in case it slipped off your mind, and we have no proper outfits yet.’’



I didn’t wait for any replies and took off for the washroom. I splashed water onto my face, freshening up and stared into the mirror. There was a slight commotion erupting within my chest. Nobody had ever tried befriending me ever since I underwent a drastic change in terms of character and behaviour after the accident. 



Yoona made me felt so cared for, although the way we met at first wasn’t truly a pleasant one, but honestly it had been a long time since I last felt so comfortable around anyone. The special aura that surrounded her made me somewhat enjoys every of our meet-ups. 



I decided it was time for me to return and just as I pulled open the door, someone pushed it inwards too. I nearly collided into her and I looked up, wanting to apologize when I realized that it was Yoona. Our faces were so closed I swore I could hear her breathe. 



‘’I’m sorry, did I knock into you? I just wanted to check what was taking you so long.’’ She asked as she moved away awkwardly. 



‘’No, I’m fine. Let’s go. We need to get a few dresses, black and white. You are here, so it would be good if you can try on a few more outfits and pick the few best one. As for Yuri, we will get her the similar ones that you will be getting, but in black. We need something that would match and gives us a nice couple feel. The cost of our shopping would be fully funded so price is not a problem. You get what I’m saying? You better do because I’m not going to repeat. I drove here, but let’s walk around the area to see if we can get anything good.’’



I walked way in front of her as I spoke, but I remembered to refrain from walking too fast, since she had just recovered from her asthma. She nodded and nodded while I talked, but I wasn’t sure if she caught all my words. Whatever that was, I was somehow anticipating the rest of our day together. 



We stepped into many shops and she tried on umpteen dresses. It was tough to make choices since white is a colour that appears excellent on everybody and never ever goes out of style. It makes almost any texture of fabric look expensive and decent. But what made it the worst was, Yoona pulled off every single one well. How was I going to pick the best when all are excellent pieces? 



‘’Is this okay? It’s the 18th dress I tried on. It’s very tiring you know?’’ She grumbled when she stepped out of the dressing room. Like the previous 17 times, I was awed by the way she was presented along with the outfit. Seeing how exhausted she was, I thought that it was time for her to take some rest.



‘’Yup, I guess this would do. Let’s look for Yuri’s one next then. After which, we would continue with yours. Go take it off while I go pay for it.’’



Eventually we settled on this long white dress which was fitting for the upper body with horizontal shining beads and puffy wave lines for the lower part. It really showed off her figure and it gave out a sense of feminine. Although it actually looked like a wedding gown, we thought that it might come in handy. We were not the ones footing the bills anyways. 



‘’Seohyun, I’m hungry...’’



‘’Not again? You just had so many cakes! Do you have a hole in your stomach or what?’’ I glared at her fiercely. Or should I say, a little too fierce. Watching her face turned into a scared kid-look, I softened my expression. ‘’Fine, we will grab something to eat as we shop okay?’’



‘’Let’s just get back to work. I guess food can wait...’’ She hung her head low and went on with our route. 




I never had felt this much guilt penetrating down my spines, I should be more deciphering. I saw her turned into a shop and started browsing those clothing. I saw a food stall by the street side and ran forward to get some finger food.



‘’Ahjuma, can I have three soondaes, okksusu and mandu to go please? Help me cut the soondaes into bite sizes, thank you.’’ I tapped on the counter impatiently, hoping that I could get back before the girl noticed my absence. I dashed back to the shop that she was in after paying and abided for her to come out. 



‘’There’s nothing that suits Yuri here. Let’s try our luck somewhere else.’’ She gave a sweet smile.



‘’Eat these first before we continue looking. I don’t want you to faint from hunger.’’ I shoved the bag of food in front of her hands and made her took it. 



‘’Soondaes! My favourite snack! Thank you Seohyun!’’ Yoona hugged me single-handed and dug in. She stuffed some into my mouth and although I frowned in response, I was glad to see her being bubbly again. 



It felt peculiar that I had the urge to make that beam remain on her face, always trying to do something which will make her extra elated. If ever any models dared to even complain that they were hungry or sick of changing their outfits, I would have long sacked them. But Yoona was different. She made my heart flutters. 



We went on with our dress-searching and managed to grab a few elegant but yet simple looking ones for the photo shoot. She seemed all worked up for tomorrow’s event. I wasn’t certain if it was because of the outdoor shooting that we were going to experience that made her so hyperactive, or someone else that she was going to work with. 



‘’Finally we are done! I never knew shopping would be this exhausting...’’ She slumped into my car seat as soon as I unlocked the doors. ‘’So anymore plans for you tonight?’’



I nodded. ‘’I’m visiting Vic in the hospital after I send you home.’’



‘’Can I come along?’’



‘’Weren’t you beat? Don’t all model do facials and stuff to their faces the day before an outdoor photo shoot?’’ 



‘’Nah, I don’t do things like that. I love the sun, and I don’t mind if I get tanner. It would just make me look healthier. But do you mind?’’



I shook my head. It’s not like she haven’t seen Vic Unnie anyways. But I must admit, I really admired her attitude towards everything. Despite her eating appetite. At least she was the most truthful model I had ever worked with. 



The radio was on and she was singing along to the song. I couldn’t help but question God. Why was He so biased towards Yoona? Perfect beauty that was enough to kill, flawless features and superlative figure just added to her supreme whole. Even her singing was peerless. 



The journey was peaceful and pleasing, it seemed good to have a company at nights like such. As we walked along the corridor, she couldn’t stop bowing to the nurses and doctors. Maybe because the hospital was part of my parents’ business and I was too familiar with the people there, I can’t be bothered to pay much attention to them. We don’t even speak unless they needed something from me or they needed to tell me something about Victoria. 



‘’Unnie, how are you today? I didn’t have a good look at you that day, and you are really pretty like your dongseng but I bet you have a better character unlike hers because you look nicer. I’m Im Yoona by the way, Seohyun’s model.’’ 



I listened to her rant on and on as if Vic Unnie was having a conversation with her. It was foolish to watch at first, but soon I thought it was rather adorable. I guess she was really worn out because by the time I came out of the washroom, she was already fast asleep on the sofa. 



Unwilling to wake her up but I knew I had to. If not there would be no way she could get home and have her proper sleep. I asked a nurse to help me put her onto my back and slowly piggy back her to my car. 



I was either sleepy too, or I was deliberately walking at an extremely held back speed. I was almost decelerating. I was really fond of hearing her breathe at a constant speed and that her hands were around me. Im Yoona, what have you done to me...? Perhaps... I was in love?