CHAPTER 20

LOVE CONTRACT



‘’Sica! Open up! Open the door and let me in!’’



Hyoyeon banged against her car window, calling out for her best friend who locked herself inside the vehicle. When Jessica saw that moment, she knew it was the end. She snatched the car keys away from her friend, sprinted all the way and slammed the doors lock after boarding the car. All she did at first was sitting at the back, staring into space while she caught her breath. The scene replayed in her mind, her tears surfaced up, moistening her eyes.



It stung her badly.



Not the warm liquid, but the kiss that acted like a hammer which whacked her heart into pieces that could never regain its original shape. She mentally shut out all form of noises and movements, including Hyoyeon’s banging. There were countless questions lingering in her mind that she could find no answers to and it was frustrating.



The girl that used to kiss her so tenderly before sending her to sleep, the girl that used to kiss her so passionately before asking her to always stay together, the girl that used to kiss her so playfully to chase suitors awau.



The girl that she used to share kisses with had kissed Yoona.



‘’Why baby… Why…?’’



She muttered softly to herself, slowly drumming her fist onto the head rest of the seat in front. She had to vent her emotions that she had kept within the whole morning. She punched and punched the solid until her fist turned red, her energy drained before letting out a loud deafening scream, startlling her best friend who was still desperately trying to get to her from outside.



Without any effort, great drops fell from her eyes, the heavy rainclouds in her mind let loose their turbulent nature. Her mind was no longer fucntioning properly. All she ever know at that instant was how much she pine for the tanned girl whom captured her heart on the first day of meeting, stole her first kiss, made her all fluttered and abandoned her with a broken heart now.



She curled up her legs against her body as close as possible, crounching at the corner and cried a rive, with ragged currents flowing down her cheeks onto the wilted collar of her shirtt. The pain was beyond her ability to withstand. The loud cries made Hyoyeon even more panic, but there was no way she could open those doors.



‘’Open the damn door Sica! Let me be with you!’’



‘’Yuri… I only want Yuri…’’



Jessica barely whsipered through her bawlings, biting onto her fist to prevent herself from screaming again. She shook so horribly, cold perspiration drenching her petite and fragile whole. She regretted putting the suggestion into action. She could of have had another month of happiness, even if she would still be suffering like now, or much more. But at least by then, the memories they built together would be longer.



All the images of her and her love came flashing back into her mind like a broken movie tape. If only she could, she would definitely paused the movie at once, omit out the unhappiness and rewind the film back to those good times when all Yuri saw was her. She wished that everything was just a nightmare, and that she would be awake in no time to find the serene face of the tanned girl sleeping next to her.



‘’I love you Yuri… What about me…? What about… Your baby?’’



The vulnerable choked on her salty tears, her windpipe tightened and she gasped for breath. It was so hard to accept that it had all came to an end.



It was so hard to accept that she lost Yuri.



***



‘’What do you mean she locked herself inside the car?’’



Tiffany’s voice boomed through the speaker. Hyoyeon brushed her hair backwards and put her hand on her waist while she never shifted her gaze away from her other best friend in the vehicle.



‘’Sica took my keys and locked herself inside before I could even get to her! She was punching the seat and screaming a few moments ago. She’s bawling so badly now that my callings for her were drowned! She just won’t open the damn door!’’



‘’Okay, calm down Hyo. You got to keep your cool in order to help her, you hear me? Leave Jessie as she is, just make sure that she is always in your sight and isn’t doing anything foolish. Given her character, she would need some time alone first.’’



As the girls were conversing, a minor click was heard.



‘’Hold on Fany, I think she’s going to let me in now. I will get back to you in awhile!’’



The worried girl frantically charged into the small space, engulfing Jessica with the tightest hug she had ever given. She said her loud thanks and checked her friend, looking for injuries and saw the sore knuckles.



‘’What were you thinking, Jung Jessica?! Have you had any idea how frightened I was?’’ A ball of anger shot up her body, burning her inside out and she hollered at the crying girl, shooting chagrin stares. ‘’I’m sorry Jessica… I’m sorry for everything, expecially my stupid assumption and idiotic suggestion. Just let it out. Let all your sorrowness out and you will feel better. You will be fine, I’m here now. Shhhh….’’



Hyoyeon gently smoothened the sobbing back, calculating in her mind, thinking if she should call up Yuri to let her know about it. It was difficult to be stuck at periods like such. She had never seen Jessica broke down like this before. She came to see that the latter was truly and deeply in love.



After hours of comforting, the wailing eventually turned into little hiccups-liked cries. She carefully placed her friend that had fallen asleep onto the seats, covering her with a small blanket before she proceeded to her driver position and took off.



She tapped onto the stirring wheel with a constant rhythm with a hand, holding onto her head with the other. The sky was gloomy and it was darker than usual nights but the radio weather forecast reported that there would be no rain. Maybe God was upset too.



‘’Yuri…’’



She watched Jessica through the rear mirror as the alternative continued to mutter the same name over and over again. She let out a loud sigh, parking her car in the slot and fished out her cell phone to call someone. She tapped her fingers against the side of her car while waiting for the line to get through.



‘’Hi Hyoyeon Unnie!’’



‘’Hey Jungie, I have your sister here and she’s sleeping. Can you come down and help me with her please?’’



‘’Coming right now Unnie!’’



‘’Thanks.’’



She alighted first, wrapping her arms around herself upon the cold weather. There wasn’t too much waiting before the eighteen arrived by her vehicle. She put the American around Krystal and followed them up. After they settled down everything, the questioning started.



‘’Unnie, did something happen to my sister?’’



‘’I have no clue on how to explain this to you but just keep a lookout for Sica. Call me if anything happens. Try not to go to Fany since Taeng needs her too, alright?’’



‘’It’s related to Yuri Unnie, isn’t?’’



Hyoyeon shrugged her shoulders. ‘’Obvious huh?’’



‘’I could figure. They broke up?’’



‘’They weren’t together in the first place. Oh well, leave this matter for them to settle on their own okay little Jung? I’m going to get going. Remember to text or call me if you need me.’’



She ruffled the younger girl’s hair at the door, smiling and headed home. Krystal went back into her sister’s room, sitting beside the bed and brushed those falling fringe away to reveal those pair of puffy eyes. Suddenly, she felt a pang of sadness for her beloved kin as she continuously her thumb on the forehead. She maybe clueless about the adults’ issues, but she truly prayed that even the most difficult obstacle would be clear in no time. Leaning in to give a peck, she pulled the cover and placed those hands under it. She took one last look at the girl and left.



Jessica opened her eyes slightly, only to be welcomed by a whole piece of darkness and a long figure by the door. Just before it closed, she stretched out to touch the shadow casting across the wall, thinking that it was who she thought it was.



She stirred around, finding herself back in her cosy home and on her big comfortable bed. Everything came back into her mind, slowly piecing up automatically like a piece of puzzle. When it was completed, the reality struck hard on her again. The intense heart ache was killing.



Krystal then came in with a cup of water which she had gotten for her sister, noticing the lump under the cover was weeping. She placed her palm on where she assumed the back was and comforted the poor girl without making a sound.



‘’Krystal…. I feel so terrible.’’



The body shifted and sat up, wanting her younger dongseng to hold her in the arms. She needed warmth despite it would probably never heat up her icy, cold heart.



‘’I’m sorry Jessie, although I am clueless about what happened…’’



‘’You know sis, I really love her. She was the first, and now it torn me apart. I don’t get it. Why am I missing her so hard when I might not even had came across her mind with a different identity except for being her Lover For Loan…?



‘’Unnie, maybe there’s some misunderstanding. I can call Yuri Unnie for you.’’



She withdrew herself out of the embrace and grabbed the teenager by her shoulder, glaring at her with those bloodshot eyes that she could hardly open because they stung too much from all her crying.



‘’No way you are going to do that Jung Krystal, no way. Neither are you going to call Mum to tell her about this, you get me?”



‘’I promise! But Unnie, it worries me to see you like this!’’



Jessica stood up and brought her sister back to her room and pull the door shut, standing outside of the room with her head pressing against the piece of wood and her hand on the handle.



I don’t wish for you to witness me at such moments either, Soojungie. Give me some time alone to sort things out. I’m sorry.’’



‘’No Jessica.’’ Krystal called out from inside. As if the two sisters had telepathy, both placed their hands on the frame, each feeling that love through the material in between. ‘’If you ever need a chest to weep on, a pair of arms to hold you or someone to whisper it’s okay, I’m always a twist of the door knob away I love you Jessica.’’



Jessica bit her lips. ‘’Thanks honey, I’ll be fine. I love you too.’’



As soon as she returned to the room, she fell on her bed with gravity, snuggling under the thick blanket with her cell phone. She fixed her gaze against the screen, brushing the face of the taller figure in the picture. Her vision blurred again for the Nth time, creating a fog-liked image which reminded her of her future.



She was at a complete lost of what she should do without Yuri. She knew all these would come but it came faster than what she expected. Scrolling through the contact list, she stopped at the only name which had a heart emoticon, finger lingering around the call button. Jessica would very much want to get to the bottom of what Yuri caressed Yoona’s face when the latter initiated the affection while she had been misleading the brown haired girl with her actions.



It crushed her.



She tossed her phone aside after switching it off to break off all connections. Pressing her hand on where her heart was, she buried her face into the pillow and let out a muffled, agonised holler.



***



‘’I couldn’t open her door, and she won’t answer me at all when I knocked for a few times at separated times! I’m positive she’s awake already but there’s not a single sound. What should I do Unnie?!’’



Krystal explained frantically to Hyoyeon outside Jessica’s room, knocking on it almost non-stop.



‘’Sica yah? Are you in there? It’s me, Hyo. Open up.’’



‘’Unnie, do you think she did something stupid and took her own life?’’



‘’Calm down SooJung, do you have keys to the door?’’



‘’Crap! I forgot about it! It’s in the kitchen.’’



She ransacked the place, blaming herself inside about being over-panicked and not thought about opening the room with the spare keys. She sprinted back and gained entry with a twist after the click sound was heard. What welcomed the two of them was only an empty bed and a pillow with a patch of tears.



They paused for awhile and listened carefully. The water was running in the comfort room and the door wasn’t fully shut.



‘’Unnie, I’m afraid…’’



The younger girl tugged Hyoyeon on her sleeves while she followed behind closely, but was assured by the hold on her hand. Together, they peeked into the toilet.



‘’Unnie, what are you doing?! You are all drenched!’’



There she was, sitting in a corner of the bathtub with the shower head right above her weak body. The chilling water was hitting on her mercilessly, wetting her from head to toe. The face was bloodless and emotionless as she stared at the empty piece of wall. Her sister rushed to her, turning off the running water and flinched at the touch of the face. It was so cold and her teeth couldn’t stop chattering against each other.



‘’Jung Jessica! While you graved over your lost relationship and do such things, have you spare a thought for me? I’m your baby sister like you always fondly call, the one that needs you to take care of! What should I do if any mishaps happened to you?’’



Krystal bellowed, exploding her hidden fear that she kept within. The wet girl slowly turned to look at her, not uttering a single word.



‘’Girl, we can talk about this later but let me get her changed first. She’s trembling so badly already.’’



Hyoyeon stepped forward, grabbing a towel from the rack and wrapped it around her best friend, helping her out of the bathtub. The youngest stood aside, hands against the basin with her head hung low. The entire space was a pin-dropped silence that even closing of the wardrobe was deafening. Jessica changed into a full fresh set of outfit, bundled up in her thick covers.



‘’Go fix something for you and your sister to eat, I bet you’re hungry. Even if you aren’t, you got to eat something. Same applies for her. Leave the talking to me, don’t worry and run along.’’



The girl left reluctantly and proceeded to do like what she instructed.



‘’Cold isn’t? Out of all things you could have done you chose to torture your own body. Why take it out in such a method?’’ Hyoyeon questioned, but like expected, there were no replies. ‘’Soojungie was right, Sica. She is still young. How would you feel if you see her in your state now? What about your promise to your mum of protecting your sister? Look, it’s aching for you and it’s my fault but try to leave this behind. Go for a vacation, throw your unhappiness away.’’



‘’I’m sorry.’’



Jessica’s lips quivered, those liquid surfaced up and the lump made its way up upon those words. She swallowed it down fast to make sure that she sheds no more tears. She got to be strong. Her best friend gave a warm, encouraging smile.



‘’You don’t have to apologize to me, but your sister.’’



She took the towel from the chair and dried the hair while she kneeled on the bed. A pair of arm wrapped around her and pulled her in for a hug.



‘’Thank you Hyo. You are the best.’’



***



‘’Once she regains conscious, she will be free to go. Do you need me to keep the reports or you would like to have them yourself?’’




‘’Just leave it on my desk in the office, thanks.’’



Seohyun instructed the nurse and stood up to stretch. She brushed across the pale face of the patient who was still in a deep slumber. The sky was dark outside and it had been exactly twenty four hours or more since she last had any sleep. All she did was watch Yoona closely, anticipating for her sleeping beauty to wake up. Every hour that passed was another disappointment for her but she carried on waiting.



She felt much energetic upon the first sip of her instant coffee, leaning her head against the wall while she sat along the hallway. It was exhausting, but she was wanted to be there to attend to Yoona when the girl comes around. She thought about the past few days when she couldn’t contact Yoona, curious about why she was avoided. That resentment evolved into worries and it engulfed her inside out.



She sensed something amiss because Yoona knew that she resented about sudden disappearance but yet did it when she was napping. She wasn’t dumb, not even anywhere close. She didn’t buy Yoona’s story of picking any drunken friends from the pub because she knew none of those friends drink. She figured the only way to get the answer was to ask personally.



She shook her cup of beverage, staring into space when there was a soft mutter from behind the screen.



‘’Hyunnie…’’



Seohyun felt the swarm of giddiness when she stood up a bit too fast and went behind the blind, standing by the bed sight and the hair gently.



‘’Hey there sleepyhead… Finally awake after sleeping for so long huh?’’ She whispered into the ears, kissing the girl on the temples.



Yoona closed her eyes again, the tips of curving upwards while she enjoyed the warmth on her icy skin. A sweet smell blended in with the air she breathed in, making her feeling a sense of comfort.



‘’I dreamt of us…’’



The photographer dragged a chair and sat down. ‘’Really? Tell me about it.’’



‘’I dreamt that… I dreamt that we were at this really beautiful island for our new photo shoot. The weather was warm, and I wanted to some ice cream so you went around to get me some. But… But you were gone for a really long time and I got scared. I was running to look for you then I tripped and… and…’’



‘’What happened next?’



‘’I can’t remember…’’ Yoona swallowed her saliva, touching her head with a little discomfort.



Seohyun took her hand and clasped it. ‘’You tripped and I managed to catch you, then we had ice cream on the beach. That’s what happened so don’t think anymore.’’



‘’I think that’s what happened too… Hyunnie always saves me.’’



They both shared a smile and looked into each other’s eyes. That moment, only belonged to them.