CHAPTER 18

LOVE CONTRACT


Tiffany’s POV:



I entered the ward and there she was, still lying on her front. I went to the comfort room to freshen up a little just in case I were to fall asleep. The night was long and tedious. Taetae couldn’t stop fidgeting due to the stinging pain on her back and the nurse had to come in a few times to inject her with some painkillers. I sat down back at the seat beside her quietly, watching her sleep. She was frowning. It was most probably because of the uncomfortable position she was at and I touched her on her pale face, attempting to smoothen her but only to realize that she was burning.



‘’Taetae yah? Are you feeling very sick right now? You’re burning!’’



Of course, she couldn’t answer me. I mentally hit myself for being so stupid and rushed out to the nurse desk and informed her about Taetae’s condition. I watched as she aided my girlfriend after paging for the doctor. I was made to stay outside while the group of people were checking on her. I could only see her from outside.



Although we were only separated by a piece of glass, I felt that we were distances apart. The last thing I saw before the nurses lowered down the folds was the doctor undressing Taeyeon, inspecting her wound with a serious face. Those warm tears rose up and stung my eyes. I dropped my hand and clasped my palms together, praying hard to God, to ask him to not take Taetae away from me. I still have so many things I yearned to do with her. I don’t mind losing to her anyone else, as long as she remains healthy.



I paced up and down the hallway, unable to sit or stand still. It wasn’t until about half an hour later before the folds were pulled up and I could see my girlfriend again.



‘’Miss Hwang, we need to put Miss Kim under close monitoring because her wound got infected, leading to her fever. The next 24 hours would be the most critical period. And I’m afraid to say…’’



‘’Yes, doctor?’’



‘’The impact on her back caused one of her veins to be damaged, and it affected her hearings. However, it would just be a temperate problem. So she might not be able to hear anything for a short period.’’



I was pondering if I should be upset that Taeng would lost her hearing or be thankful that it would be only for a minor time after I thanked the doctor. I wore the protector suit given by the nurse before I went in to see the patient. She was awake, but looked like she was in a daze. Her eyes lit up almost immediately when she saw me, her non-injured hand reaching out to me. I took her hand as soon I settled down.



‘’Hey sweetie.’’



She cocked her head slightly, locking her brows. It slipped off my mind that she would her lost abilitily of hearing for the time being. I fished out my phone and typed out whatever I wanted to say, showing it to her.



‘’Fany ah, why can’t I hear anything?’’



Her voice was weak, but it was still a little louder than usual. I gave a weak smile, then continued to type my reply to her. I specially focused on the fact that it would not last long, so as to keep her from worrying. Her pale face showed all kind of emotions that I had longed expected. But the most vivid one was fear.



I squeezed her hand tightly, assuring her that everything would be fine. She asked for the phone and spent some time typing. She left the device with the screen flat on the bed and turned her head to head to face the other side. I picked up and read the content.



‘’I’m exhausted. Why not you go home and have some rest first then come back later? Bring my peaas soft toy along would you? Thank you.’’



That short message didn’t mention a single thing about her condition, but the peas she asked for revealed her trepidation towards her future. Whenever she was scared about something, she would hug and play with those soft toys like a little girl. As much as I wished to stay with her, I know she would really want those toys. I let out a deep sigh and stood up, bending my body over the petite one.



‘’I love you, Taeyeon.’’



I kissed her on the side, whispering those three words to her despite she couldn’t hear. I guess, she would know.



***



I felt my body relaxed when the warm water came raining down while I just stood under the shower head, letting the water drops hit on me. I cleaned the fog that formed on the mirror to apply my facial cream and saw the polariod that I sticked beside it. It was taken by me recently when I had a surprise attack on Taeyeon.



The picture was me standing behind her as she brushed her teeth and I was kissing her on the cheek. Although she was shocked at first, she still managed to wink before the camera snapped. The toothpaste foam around made her looked like Santa Claus and she was extremely adorable.



I let out a sigh and sat on the bed, hugging the peas soft toy, inhaling it deeply. It smelled like my girlfriend. I stared into space, my mind filled with Taeyeon’s images. I wished I could do something for her.



Aimlessly, I walked around our apartment with the green figure still in my embrace. I accidentally stepped onto a disc case when I reached the living room and I picked it up. It suddenly dawned upon me that there was indeed something I could do to stablize her.



***



The nurse in the room saw me when she was taking Taeyeon’s temperature and I signalled her to tell the patient to look out of the window after she leaves the room. I waved at my girlfriend and she barely faked a smile. I took out the big cards I made and slowly flashed them to her. Every card had wordings, and I made sure the words were big enough for her to see.



‘’Dear Taengbaby’’



I flipped the card.



‘’My bestest girlfriend’’



I watched her curious expression.



‘’Don’t be scared’’



I flipped the card again.



‘’I’m here for you’’



Tears reflected in her eyes and they sparkled.



‘’You will be fine’’



I ignored the nurses that were watching from beside and went on.



‘’No matter whether you can hear or not,’’



I felt a lump making it’s way up my throat but I swallowed it back.



‘’I will always tell you,’’



Taetae stretched her hand, as if she could reach me.



‘’I love you’’



The nurse gave me a thumb up when I was about to go into the ward and I bowed my thanks to them.



Taeyeon’s eyes had never left me ever since I entered. I placed my bag on the table and took out the peas toy, placing it beside her on the bed. Those tears splattered her face and I wiped them away with my fingers. She intertwined our hands so tightly her knuckles were as if it was going to spear through her fair skin, bringing my palm to her lips and pressed on it thankfully.



I took out a stack of Polaroid pictures I snapped myself back at home and showed them to her. Every photo had different expressions of mine and they were like a little pictorial story. The first pierce was me with the toy and I drew a speech bubble, telling her to recover fast. The next piece was Totoro behind me, like it was hugging me and I made a sad face, writing that I missed her. She smiled and laughed at the different pictures until she reached the last one.



It was me with a pair of pouting lips, wanting her to kiss it away.



I placed the things aside and leaned in to kiss her lovingly but broke off soon as to not tire her out. I her head softly and she glanced at me with gratitude. She looked like she wanted to say something and I raised my brows.



‘’I love you.’’



She broke the silence and whispered almost intangibly but I heard what she said. I was engulfed by the fluffiness, giggling. Deeply inside I was proud of myself and whatever that I had done. To be able to see my baby smile again had affirmed me that two consecutive sleepless nights were worth.



***



Hyoyeon’s POV:



‘’Leave these to me, I will throw them.’’ Yuri took the bags of waste materials from Sica and she gave a warm smile.



Sica let out a sigh and her smile faded away as soon as the tanned girl left the office. She squatted down, levelling herself at my position, staring at me intensively.



‘’What’s up? Got something to say?’’



‘’We kissed in the hospital’s comfort room last night.’’



I dropped the spoiled telephone device onto the ground and it created a loud thud. I made an apologetic face while I shifted to sit beside my best friend.



‘’She initiated it?’’



‘’Yeah.’’ She nodded her head. ‘’We shared the first kiss at her house that night after she saved me from JungSoo… I saw her hugging Yoona, crying her eyes out. I was helpless that I couldn’t do anything for her and I kind of ignored her on while I cleaned the wound on her knuckles she got from punching the ground. She grabbed me back before I left and kissed me. I… I just couldn’t help it. I love her so much, just so much Hyoyeon ah…’’



She hugged her knees and buried her head into them, falling aside leaning onto me. Immediately, I thought of Yoona for carried a torch for Yuri too.



‘’Do you think she feels the same way?’’



‘’I can’t confirm, but she’s leading me on.’’



Her voice echoed through the hollow hole her body created and it sounded loud yet soft at the same time.



‘’I think she loves you.’’



Sica shot her head up, eyes filled with excitement but it soon died down. I figured she knew the problem. Nobody talked and we just sat side by side. Being the one that set the rules for this business, it was actually the first time when I could barely differentiate if a worker had broke the rule ever since I started this career.



‘’Why not we set Yuri and Yoona up on a date and get the client to report back to you after to see if there is any chemistry between them? You can also make use of this chance to think about your remaining contract valid period.’’ I suggested.



Afterall, it’s time for Sica to do something to meet her job requirement. She rubbed her fingers against her chin and it was then when the taller girl came back. Beads of sweat tickled down Yuri’s forehead and I watched how naturally it was for my best friend to wipe them off with her personal towel.



‘’Hyoyeon, I’m sorry. None of you deserved all these for what I had done. Let me compensate for your damages please.’’



I snapped out of my thoughts and shook my hands in the air, refusing the offer.



‘’It’s okay Yuri. Park JungSoo had it all covered, including Taeyeon’s medical fees until she fully recovers. He’s so wealthy, so I have decided to renovate the office into a better place with more furniture and expensive designs. I don’t see a need to be thrifty for him. It was nice of you to drop by to help clean up today. It must be tiring right? Let’s just call it a day.’’



She smiled back in return as response, turning to Jessica. ‘’Are you hungry? Let’s go grab a bite. You too, Hyoyeon.’’



‘’I’m beat so I would just return home. You both can go, thanks for asking.’’



‘’Alright, wait for me here Sica. I will go get my car.’’



She caressed Sica’s face and bid me farewell, half jogging out of the place. I would truly wish that this two girls could get together without having to go through so much. I know Yuri was the one to entrust my best friend with.



I stood by the road side with Sica and I nudged her on the side. ‘’Remember to get her to go on a date with Yoona alright? Do this once and for all like how a professional should okay babe?’’



Seeing that nervous look on her angelic face made me felt evil for my idea. But that’s how the industry works. It wasn’t too long before Yuri arrived and they took off. I put on my sunglasses, walking towards my vehicle. I sincerely prayed that my inference wasn’t wrong and that Yuri felt the same way for my best friend too.



***



Jessica’s POV:



It was still rather early by the time we finished our meal and Hyoyeon’s idea kept resounding in my mind. It was indeed a way to test if Yuri had anymore feelings for Yoona, but it could be a way to break me down if the latter still feel something for the younger girl.



‘’Baby, what’s on your mind?’’



Yuri waved her hands in front of me and gave a cute beam when I looked up to her. I shook my head to signal that I was just spacing out. She ruffled my hair, reaching out for my hand and left the diner.



‘’Should I send you home now? You seem really exhausted.’’



‘’Let’s go watch the sunset.’’



I gave her the puppy look so she had no excuse to reject me, leaving me with more time to talk to her about the upcoming event I needed her to do with Yoona. She second my thought of strolling to the nearby beach and we chatted about some random topics as we walked.



We arrived faster than I expected and I still wasn’t prepared to launch the question. I was behaving uneasily while she was all quiet when we settled on the high seawall by the coast. I fixed my gaze on her face, watching it glow with the sunlight shining on her.



She looked perfect, so perfect.



I closed in to press my lips gently on her smooth face without thinking, and she turned over, shocked at my sudden affection. I gave a light smile while she mirrored the same action before looking back at the horizon.



If I could, I would definitely want to keep her by my side for as long as possible.



A group of girls caught my attention from the other seawall not far away from where we were with their huge gestures, checking Yuri out as they giggled and pointed at her. I was slowly getting sulky with resentment rising within me. Yoona was enough to deal with, let alone the whole bunch of them.



‘’Why are you frowning so much like someone offended you?’’



Apparently Yuri felt something wrong, seeing that I wasn’t replying but shooting invisible darts at those girls, she looked towards the direction and soon broke out laughing when she came to recognise the situation.



‘’They are totally interested in you. Do you want to wave back?’’



She s her hand around my shoulder to pull me close while I stared at her coldly, not appreciating her joke for she clearly knew that she was the target of the teenagers.



‘’Come on, let’s just ignore them and look away okay?’’



‘’Easier done than said, their gestures are so big they would probably attract attention from Busan!’’



She lifted my chin and kissed me out of the blue. All the unhappiness magically dispersed into thin air when she playfully nibbled on my lips. It was always times like this when I would feel as though I had fallen for her again. I sensed her grin and synchronizingly, the tips of my mouth curled up.



The groaning and cursing sound filled the background but this time, I could care less. It just made the kiss even more enjoyable. I pulled Yuri on her collar to get one last deeper taste before I pushed her away teasingly. She stole another kiss on my nose and we burst out laughing when we saw those girls stormed away.



‘’Sica, you are so pretty when you smile so always smile for me okay?’’



‘’For you, I will.’’



My eyes curved and leaned onto her, gazing at the red ball of fire slowly hiding itself behind the horizon. The breeze blew against our faces and everything was so right. I wished I could pause time at that instance, staying in her embrace forever. The kiss triggered my curiosity even further about her feelings for Yoona and I. How I hoped I knew the answer instantly when an idea popped up my mind.



‘’Do you know how to skate Yuri ah?’’



‘’Yeah I could do a little.’’



‘’Want to go skating tomorrow?’’



She lowered her head to look at me. ‘’What’s with the sudden desire?’’



‘’I don’t know.’’ I shrugged my shoulders. ‘’I’m pretty stressed up recently, and I thought that a little outdoor activity would be good.’’



‘’Sure, as long as it makes you feel better.’’



‘’Just that two of us might be a little dull so how about getting Yoona and Seohyun?’’



‘’You can invite the whole world as long as you are with me.’’



She replied nonchalantly as she punched a set of numbers on her phone while that sweet sentence pierced lightly into my heart because I knew I was not going to be with her. I attempted to listen to her conversation with Yoona but I soon gave in to my wariness and drifted into my dreamland.



***



Nobody’s POV:



‘’You really can’t go with us tomorrow?’’



‘’I really wished I could but I can’t miss the meeting.’’ Seohyun yawned and dropped her head backwards against the sofa in her office.



‘’Why are you so shagged? Have you not been sleeping again?’’



‘’Yeah, there’s so many things to rush for nowadays. Let me take a nap and as soon as I wake up, we will go visit Taeyeon okay? Just stick around.’’



She mumbled between her yawns again and fell asleep in no time, leaving Yoona in the big office unaware of what she should do to kill time. The model sat behind the computer, randomly flipping through the documents on the table. She accidently moved the mouse and the screen saver mode was deactivated, revealing the wallpaper which stunned her. It was her picture that was taken during their first photo shoot together.



Yoona was wearing a white plain tee with a blue short overall along with a milk cream straw hat. She was smiling so brightly, flashing her straight beautiful teeth with a few helium balloons in her hand while her back was slightly arched, making her body leaning towards the front a little.



The background was just a few spotlights surrounding and shining on her but everything looked gorgeous when it came together despite it was just a simple layout. Simplicity is beauty and it was proven through the camera lens of the young but talented photographer.



However, Yoona was baffled. Why did Seohyun choose her picture as wallpaper? She stood up and the chair squeaked, approaching the alternative that was still soundly asleep. Her heart was pumping so fast, her blood was gushing up her brain and made her light-headed. Carefully, she placed herself on the empty space beside Seohyun, slowly reaching out to caress the face. The world was as if it had stopped spinning and that everything was irrelevant except this person before her eyes. Apparently the nap wasn’t just a light one, accounting that the latter didn’t even flinch or stir upon the touch.



Yoona closed in at a held back speed, brushing her lips on the sharp nose and then the mouth. It was a kiss that triggered her panic button, causing her to yank backwards. She pressed her fingers against , running across her lips. Turning to take a fast glance at the girl, she grabbed her belongings and made a dash out for the nearest comfort room she could find.



Something was definitely wrong.