CHAPTER 29

LOVE CONTRACT


‘’Woori shi?’’ Hyoyeon called out to the girl and wasn’t sure if it was the one she was looking for.



‘’Oh yes, hello Hyoyeon!’’ Woori gave a welcoming smile.



‘’This is...?’’



Woori looked to her side, and then dragged the shy looking new face towards Hyoyeon. They shared an awkward smile and handshake before they were introduced to each other. The new guest kept on stealing quick peeks of the blonde haired girl and incidentally, their eyes met. Hyoyeon observed this person from head to toe. He was a good-looking young man who was probably a year older or of her age, and he seemed to have a good build.



‘’Hyoyeon, please meet my younger brother, Hyungsuk.’’


''I see, nice to meet you Hyungsuk. I'm Kim Hyoyeon. Is your brother coming with us for the shopping, Woori unnie?''


''Hmm, actually, it's just you and him because I have a last minute urgent errand to run for the photography club due to a lack of photographers so please pardon me. However, my brother is a very nice young man and I'm sure you youngsters will get along well in no time! So that's about it and I have to get going before I'm late for the appointment! I'm truly sorry, Hyoyeon. Let me buy you a meal someday as a form of makeup to you alright?'' Woori blabbered non-stop without letting of the two spoke. Muttering under her breath, she turned to Hyungsak. ''She's a nice catch.''


Afterwhich, Woori ran off at a speed so fast that she disappeared within a few seconds. Hyoyeon looked rather nonchalant while Hyungsak was fidgeting uncomfortably. Upon seeing such sight, Hyoyeon began walking towards the supermarket, signalling for her new friend to come along. After a few moment of silence, someone finally broke the ice.


''You don't mind my sister's actions alright? Please pardon her.'' Hyungsak politely pleaded.


''No worries, I barely knew her for a day either so it doesn't really make too much of a difference. At least we are of similar age while Woori unnie is much older and I actually feel a little tensed when I'm with her.''


''Let's do it again.''


''Do what?'' The girl locked her brows and asked curiously.


''My name is Hyungsak, and nice to meet you. Hopefully we can get along well.''


The same hand reached out to Hyoyeon again, which she gladly received. This time, the sense of awkwardness was no longer felt, but replaced with a sense of comfort.


''My name is Hyoyeon and I am certain we will.''



***



‘’Come on Taeng, you don’t want to be late for your appointment alright? Get up and wash up baby.’’ Tiffany shook Taeyeon on the shoulder, ruffling the messed up hair, brushing the fringe backwards and revealed the sleepy fair face of her girlfriend while she sat on the edge of their bed.



‘’Just five more minutes please…’’



Taeyeon made a sad face with her eyes closed, looking extra adorable and kiddy. Tiffany no longer had the heart to stripe even a minor five minutes from the worn out girl and gently whispered a soft okay to signal her approval. The petite girl snuggled closer to the American with her brows tightly locked, holding a warm hand against her own face and effortlessly drifted into dreamland once again. The party yesterday was no doubt enjoyable, but it did drain the couple entirely despite just sitting around to catch up with friends and returned home before the clock struck twelve.



Taeyeon’s discharge from the hospital was supposedly to make things easier for her and her girlfriend but things didn’t seem as simple as they thought it would be, at first. She had to constantly return to the doctor for regular checkups on her back, doing scans to make sure that her bones are growing well and attaching back. Therapy was another hassle, and Tiffany never allowed her to go alone no matter how exhausted she may be herself because she insisted that since they made a pact to continue this path down until the latter recovers, she should hold on to her words.



The sun shining into the room through the baby pink translucent curtains indicated that the weather was splendid for a walk at the park and Tiffany wished that she could merrily stroll along the river side with her girlfriend again like how they did during their picnic a few months back. Of course, they can still do that now but they will not walk side by side like previously. Anticipating for them to finish the road of recovery every single day seems to be the American’s hope everyday now when she wakes up or before retiring for bed. It still pained her to watch Taeyeon does her therapy session with a face of agony from bearing all the pain despite she understood that it was just a process of healing.



While she was indulged in her deep depressing thoughts, Tiffany too, gave in to her exhaustion. Very naturally like as if she was still conscious, the younger girl caressed Taeyeon’s face and gently pressed her lips against the top of the head, then remained in the position, asleep. The clock kept ticking and they were barely an hour away from their appointment but still, none of them woke up. The deafening peace evolved into pressure, pressing on Taeyeon, forcing her to come around. Submerging herself deeper into the protective arms around her, she hid away from the bright sun. She felt a constant on her back and she looked up, only to see her sleeping girlfriend.



‘’Good morning my dearest Fany…’’ Taeyeon caressed the flawless face and watched the alternative yawned.



‘’Good morning to you too~’’ Tiffany yawned and smiled at the same time. ‘’It’s time to go for your appoint- Oh god Tae! We overslept! I’m so sorry I fallen asleep and lost track of time! Oh no no no... I hope your doctor isn’t mad or anything!’’



Tiffany hurry picked herself up, rushing towards the closet to pick out two outfits for her and her partner respectively while Taeyeon slowly sat up on the bed, giggling at how frantic the American was since she barely lost her cool. The petite girl moved towards the edge of the bed effortlessly and was about to get off the bed when she was halted.



‘’Yah Taeyeon ah, I will help you! Be careful of your back!’’



‘’It’s okay girl. Actually I can-‘’ Taeyeon paused out of the sudden, as if she was about to reveal something she wasn’t supposed to tell. ‘’Actually I do need some help, please.’’



‘’You are acting weird aren’t you? What did you want to say?’’



‘’Nothing, really, trust me.’’ The older girl laughed nervously. ‘’I just wanted to waste some time so I can to be held by you like this. Hold me closer.’’



Tiffany didn’t look convinced at first, until Taeyeon gave a little adorable grin, flashing her straight row of upper teeth before she hugged the girl closer and slowly helped her to the comfort room. The both of them sat on the edge of the bathtub side by side, beaming from time to time as they took glances at each other. Brushing her teeth with her left hand instead, Taeyeon traced down her girlfriend’s shoulder with two fingers and intervolved their hands. In the midst of joking, they finally took off to the hospital for their two hours late appointment.



‘’Remember to tell Doctor Park that I’m sorry okay? I shouldn’t have fallen asleep!’’ Tiffany checked the time on Taeyeon’s phone as she pushed her around the hospital’s corridor, heading towards the therapy room at the fastest speed she can go.



‘’No Tiffany, I told you already, it’s not your fault that you were worn out. It wasn’t easy to deal with so many things at once without feeling exhausted. Do you really see yourself as the invincible one? You need a rest, I can come alone, really.’’



‘’Enough said baby, we can talk at home. Don’t stress yourself too much alright? I will come pick you up after you are done. See you later.’’



Tiffany gave a quick peck on the wheelchair-bounded girl’s cheek and allowed the nurse to take over instead. She stood by the door to wait for the door to shut entirely and till she could no longer see Taeyeon along the pathway before leaving for the cafeteria.



***



‘’Taeyeon unnie, why don’t you just tell Tiffany the truth? It’s getting a little tough to keep it from her these days, especially when your girlfriend is really shrewd... Unnie, I don’t know how long I can keep it from her.’’ The nurse whined.



‘’Please just do what you can for the time being. Tiffany will get really upset if she knows the truth. You don’t have to do this for too long though; it’s about time I reveal everything to her too. I will just have to wait till the special day to let her know. Thank you for all these, Sunmi, and I am sorry for all these.’’



‘’It’s so evil of you unnie. Fancy you to choose that day to break the news. If her reaction isn’t what you expected, then you get it.’’



‘’Rest assure Sunmi.’’ Taeyeon smirked. ‘’I have it all planned.’’



***



Jessica came out of the comfort room and the cold air within the room attacked her petite body almost instantly. She pulled the slightly bigger cardigan around her body which smelled exactly like her lover, half skipping back to the bed where a hump was formed under the blanket. Wriggling under the warm cover, she leaned on top of the sleeping figure, gently brushing away the strands of hair away from the serene face. A beam spread across, nearly reaching her earlobes and this was the kind of beautiful sight she loved waking up to.



She recalled how fast her heart was pumping last night when she requested to stay over at the tanned girl’s house, even using alcohol as an excuse to satisfy her yearning for her girlfriend that she wished to always be with no matter what or when. The sweet scent that she was addicted to as if it was drug; warmth that she misses whenever she doesn’t feel it; words that always make her feel like a princess; holds that makes her feel well protected and kisses that melt her heart over and over again. All of the above had unknowingly evolved from her wants to her needs. She had nothing to start with from the beginning, but now she has her everything, all in this particular girl that meant the world to her.



‘’I love you.’’ Jessica whispered softly against Yuri’s ear and pressed her lips on the temple but the latter was still so deep in her sleep that she didn’t even flinch, but the tips of raised for a tiny moment.



*vibrates*



The brown haired girl’s attention was diverted by the intense vibration of Yuri’s cell phone by the table side and she was still hesitating if she should wake the owner up to answer the call when the taller girl tapped Jessica on her hand, pointing to the mobile phone. Like she was instructed, the American stretched over her girlfriend and saw the caller ID.



‘’Hey Taeyeon, what’s up? It’s Sica here.’’



‘’Oh, Sica!’’ The response sounded surprised, then a realisation. ‘’Oh well, it’s probably the same asking you for help too since I know Yuri will never keep any secrets from you. Can you guys meet me by the restaurant near Yuri’s house in about two hours’ time?’’



‘’Give me a minute.’’ Jessica put her best friend on hold and tugged Yuri on her sleeve repeatedly until the latter grabbed onto her, sliding both their hands under the pillow without opening her eyes. ‘’Baby, Taeng asked if we can meet her at the restaurant two hours later?’’



‘’Hmm....’’ Yuri replied wearily as she nodded her head to signal her agreement.



‘’Alright, we will meet you in awhile then. Will Tiffany be coming?’’



‘’Oh yes, Sica, please don’t tell Tiffany about it. I got Sunmi to call her, telling her that I won’t be done till evening so if she calls either one of you, please just pretend that you girls have no idea where I am and what I am doing okay?’’



Jessica narrowed her brows when she heard Sunmi calling Taeyeon in the background with an intimate tone. She knew that Sunmi was her best friend’s assigned therapy nurse but the close interaction between them both made her uncomfortable. Of course she didn’t mention anything to Tiffany, since she knew how faithful both her best friends are towards each other. The one that she didn’t trust was Sunmi.



‘’Kim Taeyeon, it seems like there’s a lot of explanation that you need to do.’’



‘’Absolutely, and you have my words that I will tell you everything that you want to know later when we meet up. I have to go now, Sunmi is calling for me. Thanks Sica! See you in awhile!’’ Taeyeon rushed through. ‘’Oh and, seems like you gave Yuri a hard time last night!’’



‘’Shut up! Bye!’’



Jessica left the phone aside and buried her flushed face into the crooked of Yuri’s neck as she recalled what happened the previous night. It wasn’t what Taeyeon thought it was, but it still set her heart racing at an incredible speed. Despite the countless times that the couple had slept together, it was literally just sleeping. Well, if kisses were counting as something more, then yeah they did something. Maybe it was under the influence of alcohol, the older girl was bolder than usual last night.



*FLASHBACK*



‘’Do you need any tea for your headache?’’



Yuri asked when she came into the room in her black tank top that was hugging tightly against her body and it perfectly displayed her to-die-for-curves along with a short pants while she dried her hair with the towel. The sweet scent of her shampoo lingered around the entire room, and Jessica came to a stop of drying her own hair after showering just because she was too dumbfounded by the new arrival’s alluring appearance.



It wasn’t like she didn’t see Yuri in her sleeping attire before, but it just seems like it had been a long while since she last spent a night with her girlfriend which she missed dearly. The heart beat that she gets to hear when she snuggles into the embrace became her favourite melody since she could remember. Slowly she shook her head upon the enquiry, getting up from the single seated and approached Yuri.



‘’I’m sorry but I can’t help it.’’



She pushed the taller girl against the wall and crushed her lips onto the other pair, savouring them like she never did. She wouldn’t have made such an unexpected and compulsive move but it was just slightly harder than usual to control her overwhelming emotions that night. Yuri was in shock, unable to register the sudden affection by the girl. She didn’t even have the time to hang her towel away.



As if they had telepathy, Jessica removed it, carelessly throwing it on the floor and wrapped her arms around her neck with her fingers locked tightly. It didn’t take Yuri too much time to regain her composure and indulged in the affection as she s her hands around the waist, tenderly her girlfriend on the back and it sent a shiver down the shorter girl’s spine.



Their bodies were pressed together so closely, leaving absolute no gaps in between. Unlike before when Yuri was the one taking initiative, Jessica was taking control, surprisingly. She had been scratching her girlfriend on the lower back unknowingly after she slid her hands into the tank top in the midst of their lips locking session and she had no idea where in the world did she get so much strength from pining her girlfriend against the wall despite having a couple of shots earlier.



She kissed the refined nose bridge and along the jaw line, eventually pressing her lips against the neck, then slowly sank her teeth into the flesh. It only took a short while before she could taste a very minor bit of blood and all the intensity came to a sudden halt when Jessica realised that she could been a little too rough. Immediately she backed away but the holds on her waist tightened. She looked at her love and caressed the face, shaking her head before looking down again in remorse.



‘’I’m sorry baby. I must have hurt you and-‘’



‘’Shh shh...’’ Yuri lifted up her chin and leaned in to capture her lips briefly. ‘’You didn’t. It’s okay, really.’’



The American ran her finger tenderly over the fresh wound created by her, wiping the little blood drops away and brushed the slightly wet hair aside. She was perplexed if it was the warm, delightful smile or the alcohol effect that was making her light-headed.



‘’Come on, let’s turn in now. You look really drained now.’’



The next thing she knew, the lights were off and instinctively, she stepped nearer to the alternative while they made their way to the bed. They both laid flat on their tummy facing each other with Yuri’s arm over her lower spine. She gave in to her weariness in no time under the watch of those soft, loving eyes.



*END OF FLASHBACK*



Lying on top of Yuri’s back, Jessica observed the love bite on the neck for a moment with her face blushing as red as tomatoes. She traced the teeth marks with the tip of her index finger, feeling every dent that probably hurt quite a lot.



‘’Maybe a kiss will make it much better than just looking like you are now...’’



The originally asleep girl addressed, startling the latter who assumed that she was still in her dreamland. She couldn’t help it but to giggle after feeling that mere jump from the pressure on her back, thus getting a light slap on her arm. Jessica huddled up against her girlfriend, planting a little kiss on the neck like she was asked. Yuri turned over to her front to face the brown haired girl, letting out a soft yawn and rubbed her eyes. Brushing Jessica’s fringe aside, revealing those sparkling eyes, she pulled the latter into her embrace and the couple chatted randomly while the time drained away bit by bit.



‘’Didn’t you say Taeyeon wanted to meet us at the restaurant later? Let’s prepare, shall we?’’



Yuri got up from the bed and did her usual stretching exercise, retrieving a few sets of outfit to match in the mirror. Jessica stood up too, with her changing clothes in her hand while she watched the alternative picked her wears and giggled after a short moment. She sneaked up to the back, exhaling hot air into the ear. Gently she whispered.



‘’Anything you wear will be good, baby.’’



***



‘’You what?!’’



Jessica slammed the table and exclaimed at the top of her lungs, attracting everyone’s attention. Taeyeon held up both hands defensively in front of herself just in case she gets a punch in her flawless face while Yuri hurried pulled her girlfriend down and back onto her seat. The American’s eyes widened with shocked which the tanned girl mirrored too. They both stared at the person sitting opposite them for awhile before snapping out of their daze.



‘’You serious about this Taeyeon...?’’ Yuri stammered.



‘’Do I look like I’m kidding about it?’’ Taeyeon paused. ‘’See, I need to break this to Tiffany but I need the help from you both.’’



‘’Fat hope, Kim Taeyeon. How can you do this to Tiffany? And to us!’’ Jessica leaned forward, piercing through her best friend’s soul with her sharp glares.



‘’I’m sorry that I lied for a month, but it was just a month! Just do me this favour if you really want the best for Tiffany like I do okay, Sica? If you help me, it will end her misery faster. Please?’’



‘’Fancy you to dare say it was JUST a month. It’s 30 precious days of Tiffany that you were wasting, and it was another 30 days of suffering for her. Now you want me to help you break the news to her, on her birthday? If she gets all upset and emotional in a bad way, I will have it as much as you do!’’



‘’But baby, Taeyeon has a point. If we can help her speed things up, the chances of Tiffany being more upset will be lesser. So let’s just do this for your best friend? But no matter what your choice is, I’m in for this.’’ Yuri gave Taeyeon a wink as Jessica looked like she was going to say something but swallowed it back, grinding her teeth instead.



‘’Argh Kim Taeyeon, your plan better be good if not I am going to chicken out at the last moment!’’



Taeyeon’s eyes lit up with joy. ‘’I promise! Okay, so here’s the plan.......’’



***



‘’Good morning Tiffany! Happy birthday to my pink princess!’’



Jessica’s cheerful voice boomed through the receiver of Tiffany’s phone early in the morning and the clock read 8:01AM. It was supposed to be a joyous day and it was definitely rare for Jessica to wake up this early just to wish her a happy birthday but none of such things were running through her perplexed mind. She was drowning in trepidation with her heart throbbing so fast that it was as if her organ was going to break through her ribcage.



‘’Jessie, Jessie! Have you heard from Taeyeon?’’



‘’Er... No, why? Hold on, let me ask Yuri too.’’ Tiffany held her breath as she waited by the window pane in the house. ‘’Nope, neither does Yuri knows anything. She isn’t home?’’



‘’By the time I woke up, she was gone! No notes no news no nothing at all Jessie! Her wheelchair was beside our bed last night, but this morning, it was by the apartment door! I can’t get through her either and this is sickening. Even Hyoyeon doesn’t know about her whereabouts. Where could she be at...?’’ She scrambled to her sorrow and broke down, sobbing loudly.



‘’Don’t... Don’t worry so much Tiff. I’m sure Taeng is fine. She is old enough to take care of herself. Maybe she went out to get some fresh air, or maybe she is just with your neighbours?’’



‘’No... Jessie, no. Where can she go without her wheelchair when she needs me to even help her to the comfort room at home? What should I do if she meets any mishaps or what if she... She’s... Jessica, i’m dying!’’



‘’Listen to me girl, stop crying now and go prepare yourself. We will meet at the square near the hospital and start searching from there alright? Yuri and I will be there with you so now stop sobbing, you hear me? See you in awhile.’’



Tiffany’s arm sagged in defeat after she hung up with her warm tears still flowing across her pale cheeks. Her birthday had barely begun and this was what she had to deal with; a possible lost of the love of her life. She did as what she was asked to except for making an effort to stop sniffing. Taeyeon’s sleepy face; dorky expression; soft loving look and even her furious glances were racing in her head on repeat, like a broken movie tape.



It was a miracle how she managed to drive and arrived safely at the square despite her unfocused driving along the way. Without even having to look, she knew her eyes were red and puffy because it stung so bad that she had difficulties with her visions. The first person she saw was Yuri standing in the middle of the place alone, and given the kind of helpless situation she was in, Tiffany half jogged towards her friend and plunged into the embrace, wetting the girl’s collar.



‘’Yuri... Yuri... What should I do? What am I going to do without Taeyeon?’’



She bawled while Yuri said nothing but making apologetic faces, begging for forgiveness without her knowing at Jessica who was approaching them with a fist held up and a face so red it was as if she was on fire. Jessica pointed at Yuri’s hands around the waist, demanding her to let go immediately but the tanned girl disagreed and mouthed a sentence.



‘’How... Can... I... Let... Go... When... She... Is... Crying... So... Badly...?’’



‘’Do you want to die?! You are hugging my best friend in front of me and I’m your girlfriend!’’ Jessica mouthed back and threw punches in the air. Yuri flinched at her rough and jealousy companion, gently pushing Tiffany out of her arms, patting her on the shoulder as a form of comfort instead.



‘Hey Tiff, I thought I told you to stop crying? Now hush and reserve your tears for later!’’



‘’What...?’’ The forlorn girl questioned.



‘’Sica meant tears of joy when we find Taeyeon! Fany ah, you and Sica will go look in that direction while I will go in that okay? We will keep in contact so if either party finds Taeyeon then we will inform each other.’’



They were settled with their plans and went separate ways. The American duo combed the entire circumference of the hospital and even the four parks which surrounded the hospital but still no sight of Taeyeon. But of course, to not let Tiffany find who she wanted to find was the main point for the entire morning. It was already almost evening, then Jessica and Yuri managed to convinced the birthday girl to drop her aimless search. They took a short break at a fast food restaurant and one refused to consume anything despite her friends’ urge.



‘’Fine.’’ Jessica passed the burger back to Yuri. ‘’If you don’t want to eat anything, at least go change out of your shirt. You probably perspired tremendously given how you ran about just now. I brought a spare set so go, hurry. You won’t want to fall sick before you find Taeyeon right? Here, take it.’’



Unwillingly, Tiffany dragged herself to the comfort room and washed up. She looked at herself in the mirror and she almost couldn’t recognise the reflection. The girl she was had reddened eyes that were puffy, and the hair was in a mess. Her blouse was crumpled, the body frame so skinny that her collar bones were effortlessly visible. Where did the fashionable Tiffany Hwang go to? How did she become such a lifeless person over a day? It was then when she realised, without Taeyeon, it was as good as her losing the meaning of her life.



She let out a deep sigh as she took out the outfit Jessica passed to her, only to realise that it was a baby pink strapless dress with a pretty bow by the chest along with a bag of make-ups and a letter. With trembling hands, she went for the envelope first and sat down the edge of the handle. Instantly she knew, it was Taeyeon’s handwriting when it said, ’’To, you.’’



‘’Tiffany,



Happy 24th birthday. This is the 9th year since I first celebrated your birthday for you. 9 years, that’s how long we have been together. We were only 15 when we met, but by that time, your beauty was already blinding. I remembered how many love letters you would received in a day back then, and despite my strong wanting to know you, to write you a love letter too, I suppressed it until the day when I overheard your senior asking you out. Then I comprehended that I was so desperate for you. That’s why I charged out and pulled you away to the rooftop without any explanation. I thought you would be flaring but thankfully you didn’t. It was as if you knew my intention and all you did was flash your eye smile that I would die for to see every day. So it turned out that my hidden love didn’t manage to escape from your mesmerising eyes and that you carried a torch for me too. Even till today, everything seems unbelievable, especially the fact that you are my girl.



From our schooling days when I was still a penniless student till the day I saved enough money to fulfil my dream, owning my own cafe, you have been there. From the first customer I served till the last one I served before my accident, you were there. Not to mention, you had always been there almost twenty-four seven by my bedside in the hospital without any decent rest or meals just so I could have someone’s hand to hold when I was in pain, so I could have someone to rely on when I needed something, so I could brave through my disabilities time. Every time I witnessed how you secretly wept in your dreams while you leaned beside me, whispering my name telling me to not leave you, my heart would be broken. I may have saved you from the physical pain, but I failed to protect you from the mental pain.



You are always my sweetheart, the one that made my life full of fun, love and concerns. I always remind myself to provide you with the best, to never let you down but I knew I didn’t do what I preached. You never pressed me to go for therapies when I was first allowed by the doctor, telling me to take my time instead because you didn’t want to make me feel pressurised or that you were running out of patience. You always hoaxed me to take my medicine while I threw temper like a little kid, but the smile on your face had never vanished. When I threw up because of the side effects of various mixture of medication, you insisted to clean me up personally instead of the nurses because you felt that it was your responsible. After all these effort you put in for me, I had only returned you with disappointment when I overestimated my own ability and delayed my recovery period.



I’m sorry, Tiffany.



My sudden disappearance probably scared the hell out of you, didn’t it? I can conjure in my mind; a lost you, frantically looking for me on the streets and when you can’t, you will be sitting somewhere with Jessica, praying to God to let me be safe, to let me come back to your side. But always remember something, sweetie. One day, I will be physically gone from you. However, keep in mind that I will always, always remain in your heart and our memories will be the mental film of the wonderful times we spent together as you, me, and us. I wished I could be there now to wipe your tears away, but I’m occupied with something. Freshen up and put on the pink dress I have gotten for you, along with some make-ups. Come to our cafe and I will be there for you.



I love you.



Taetae.’’



Tiffany was nailed to the position she was in, unable to move at all with her brain experiencing a malfunction. The tears that she had such a hard time deterring earlier on all came back and stained the letter. Was all these just an act from her friends and Taeyeon? Were they merely making a fool out of her because it was her birthday? At first there was a ball of fire boiling her inside out, but when she took a look at the letter again, she knew that there was more to it. She wasted no more time and washed herself up, putting on the dress and make-ups. She looked into the mirror once more and finally, she saw the Tiffany Hwang that possessed the deadly charms again.