CHAPTER 9

LOVE CONTRACT

Tiffany’s POV :



‘’Please Sica yah… Even your best friends agreed to help! It’s the best chance for you to meet up with Yoona!’’ Yuri pouted.



She had been begging Jessie to go help out at the photo shoot session this coming weekend since what seems like forever.



‘’Jessie, don’t you want to avoid JungSoo? This is a great excuse.’’ I voiced out to help the poor girl. She sounded so worn out already.



‘’Oh crap! I forgot about JungSoo! Do I even have a choice now?!’’ Jessie shrieked, throwing her hands up in the air.



‘’So you agreed?! Thank you so much Sica! You’re the best!’’ Yuri pulled her in for a tight hug and the ice princess’s expression changed drastically.



Looks like my judgement was right.



‘’Yah Miss Kwon, Taetae and I are helping too. Why don’t I get a hug too?’’ I pretended to be jealous about the unfair compliment as I nudged the girl beside me to make sure she snaps back to reality.



‘’Taeyeon is inside, Miss Hwang. I don’t want to risk getting bake to death!’’



I gave a fake laugh while Jessie just stares into space. I got to talk to her urgently.



‘’Who is Jung Soo anyways?’’



‘’He is Krystal’s tuition teacher that carries a touch for Jessica since he started tutoring at her house. He might look nice but we all felt that the way he looks at Jessica was way too y, like as if he wanted something more from her. She was supposed to sack him months ago but Krys left home and stuff so I bet it slipped off her mind.’’ I explained.



Yuri frowned. ‘’Do you want me to pick you up this Saturday? This man sounds bad. I don’t like him.’’



She hesitated for a moment. ‘’Taeyeon will pick me up so it’s okay, thank you. You don’t even know him, how can you dislike him?’’



I believe Taetae won’t mind giving Jess a lift but since when did she ask…?



‘’Whatever it is, I just don’t like him because he is eyeing my girlfriend. Anyways, I got to run some errands so I guess I will take my leave now. Do you need a ride anywhere baby?’’



Girlfriend? Baby?



‘’I told you to stop calling me your baby!’’



Yuri let out a loud laugh when she saw a fade pink colour emerging from those cheeks.



‘’I got to talk to her about some stuff first. Taetae and I will take her home later.’’



‘’Alright, text me when you’re home alright Sica? Bye girls!’’



I flashed my eye smile at her while Jessica just gazed the receding back affectionately. Her shoulders sagged in defeat when she saw the Mini Cooper got smaller and smaller, soon out of our sight.



‘’Jessie, you violated Perfect Lovers’ rule. Didn’t you?’’



Thank god we were close enough for me to save the beating around the bush and went straight into the sensitive topic.



She looked up at me with a shock expression, but it soon toned down. She fiddled with her blouse and I knew that action meant she had something she wanted to say but didn’t know how to put it across. It was a habit that she never changes.



‘’When did it happen?’’



‘’Are you asking as a best friend or as my boss?’’ She asked with her head hanging low.



‘’Do you see me as your boss now or your best friend?’’



‘’Bestie.’’



I gave her an encouraging smile to let her go on with whatever she had to tell.



‘’I think… It was on the day I saw her. After I was injured and confided into her regarding Soojungie at her house. The way she held me and that peck on my forehead… It might be meaningless to her but it meant the world to me.’’



‘’Hmm… Go on.’’



‘’Do you have any idea how much I wanted her to come pick me up this Saturday and how electrified I were when she said she resented JungSoo because he was eyeing her girlfriend? She calls me her girlfriend, her baby… I love the way she provides me with care and attention, always been so nice and sweet, picking me up and sending me home. I didn’t want to help her out for the photo shoot because I don’t know if I can adapt to her possible change when Yoona is with her…’’



She shivered a bit before she leaned onto my shoulder and hugged my arm like a little girl. She was terrified, I could feel it. I saw Taetae looking towards our direction through the window reflection behind her counter with a worried look. It definitely wasn’t because she was afraid that Jessie was going to do something intimate with me again but because she sensed something was wrong with our best friend.



I caressed her face gently with my free hand. ‘’Just cry if you want Jessie.’’



It was as though she had been waiting for my permission to cry for a long time. Her tears fell almost immediately before I could even say anything else.



We were sitting on the coach at a rather isolated area in the cafe, facing the big window pane decorated by raindrops, watching people pass-by. She wept soft enough for nobody else but me to hear.



‘’Hyoyeon and I thought that, maybe you are no longer suitable to continue being Yuri’s assigned Lover For Loan…’’



She buried her head into my chest after I finished my sentence. Her crying was louder than before and all I could do was let her be.



As much as I didn’t want to break the two girls up, I knew I had to. Jessie might be our best friend, but Hyoyeon and I had to be professional and execute the rules that we set personally.



To be frank, this was the first time Jessie was in love. Never in my life had I seen her blushed so much because of a simple comment anyone made, she never bothered what others would think about her. She hardly showed interest in anyone or anything, but whenever she talked to me about Yuri, I could see sparkles in her eyes.



Yuri was different to her, someone special. Someone that captured my best friend’s heart. Every little move of hers fascinates Jessica.



‘’Think about whether you can continue this job professionally. You know, Hyoyeon and I just wanted to make sure everything goes on smoothly for you. You have to accept the fact that Yuri has someone she fancies and if you were to commit too deeply, eventually the one that gets hurt the most would be you…’’



‘’Can I… Can I have some time to think about it please…?’’



It breaks my heart for me to separate them, but…



‘’Alright Jess. No matter what happens, Taetae, Hyoyeon and I will always be here for you.’’



***



Jessica’s POV : 



The weather was really chilly, and it was the first time I went home alone after I knew Yuri. I remembered how she would take off her jacket and make me wear it during cold days when we were together, and how naturally it was for me to hold her arm when we walked side by side.



I was at the bus stop when suddenly I felt that I missed her badly, expecially at time like this. I stared at the wallpaper we took at her house kitchen and my tears emerged. She doesn’t belong to me, even though I love her. I was supposed to help her get Yoona…



*vibrate*



My heart nearly went out of place when I saw the name that surfaced up the screen.



From: Yuri
To: Sica
11:14PM



‘’Baby~ Are you home yet? ^^’’




I giggled when I saw her calling me baby again. She would most probably think that I hate her calling me it but actually, I love it very much. It just made me feel much attached to her. But once again I comprehended that once the three months were gone, she would be gone too…



I sighed before I punched the keypads.



From: Sica
To: Yuri
11:18PM



‘’No, I’m waiting for the bus…’’




I lifted my head and saw the gloomy sky. Just give me 2 more months, Yoona. After that, I would make sure Yuri goes to you. Just let me love her for the remaining contract time.



From: Jessie
To: Tiff
11:21PM



‘’Let me finish what I started.’’ 




***



Yuri’s POV:



*vibrate*



From: Sica
To: Yuri
11:18PM



‘’No, I’m waiting for the bus…’’




Sica was waiting for the bus? I thought Tiffany said they would drop her off. I was about to reply Sica when a name popped out on my phone screen.



‘’Hello?’’



‘’Hello unnie, I’m Yoona.’’



Strangely, I wasn’t feeling as ecstatic as how I always thought I would when I heard that pleasant voice. Instead, I was agonized for someone else.



‘’Oh, Yoona.’’



‘’Am I disturbing you? I’m sorry for calling you this late…’’



She sounded so inferior by my tone.



‘’No, don’t worry. I was just stupefied that you aren’t asleep yet. Kids should be in bed by ten you know?’’



Sooyoung came out of her room and gave a weird stare when she overheard me before she left for the kitchen. She was looking for something, which most probably was food, and all the noises that she created made me retreated to the balcony.



‘’I’m no longer a kid unnie! I’m only a year younger!’’



I sat on the swing and pushed it with my feet. Memory of the first night that I spent with Sica came pouring back into my mind. I wonder where she was…



‘’I was just teasing. So you called for…?’’



‘’Oh right! We are going to meet at the forest outside town at about 10am this Saturday. Is it okay?’’



‘’Yeah sure.’’



‘’Have you gotten extra help for Seohyun already?’’



‘’Yeah, I have three friends helping.’’



‘’That’s great!’’



I remained quiet, unaware of how I was supposed to response. There was a moment of awkward silent before she spoke again.



‘’Unnie… Thank you for agreeing in helping this assignment. I really wanted to work with you.’’



I smiled as I imagined Yoona been all shy and red on the other side of the phone. ‘’I just hope I don’t screw it up.’’



‘’Don’t worry, you’re great at everything! Emm… It’s getting late so I shouldn’t disturb you anymore. See you unnie.’’



‘’Alright, see you!’’



I let out a deep sigh and suddenly saw an extra figure on the swing. I jumped up and nearly stabbed my toe against the wall.



‘’Yah Choi Sooyoung! What are you trying to do, sneaking up on me?! I could have died from heart attack you know?’’



She continued to shove spoons and spoons of cereal into , dissolving the three serving’s food within minutes. Sometimes I really had no idea what Sunny saw in her.



‘’Who was that?’’



‘’Yoona.’’ I resumed my texting while she put her bowl aside.



From: Yuri
To: Sica
11:29PM



‘’I thought Tiffany and Taeyeon were going to drop you? Have you gotten on the bus already? T^T’’




‘’Oh my god Kwon Yuri! Im Yoona initiated a call?!’’



I nodded my head without looking at her, casually browsing through a random magazine that I grabbed from the coffee table beside. The giant took me by my shoulders and shook me hard, making me drop my reading material.



‘’Jessica is Daebak! It has only been less than half a month and the results are showing! You are lucky that you gotten Jessica as your Lover For Loan!’’



There was a sense of uneasiness within me when Sooyoung mentioned that Jessica was just my Lover For Loan. She seemed even more excited than I was when she knew that Yoona rang me up.



Why was my mind filled with Jessica’s helpless face when I was talking to Yoona? All I could think about was if she had gotten up the bus and if she was doing fine.



‘’Are you listening to me?’’ Sooyoung waved her hands in front of my face.



‘’Yeah I am. Anyways, I’m going to model with Yoona this coming Saturday.’’



‘’So you were the model that Yoona was referring to?’’ Sunny appeared from the room, rubbing her eyes as she yawned. I didn’t even know she was in the house. Seriously, what’s the difference between cohabiting and staying over at each other’s apartment so frequently?



‘’Kwon Yuri! What’s the meaning of this?! You didn’t tell me about modelling with Yoona! How could you?!’’



Sooyoung grabbed me on my neck and tried to strangle me while I brushed her away. She really over-reacts too much sometimes.



‘’Actually Yul, can’t you see that Yoona feels something for you too?’’ Sunny asked. ‘’It’s pretty obvious.’’



My heart skipped a beat. Yoona... She likes me?



*vibrate*



From: Yoona
To: Yuri
11.41PM



‘’I meant what I said, you’re great in every ways to me. Goodnight. (:''



The discomfort in me increased rather rapidly when I received the text from Yoona. I had no idea why this was happening to me, expecially when she was my crush. Someone that I was trying to go after.



I couldn’t figure out why this feeling was erupting within me, only to come to a conclusion that I was just too tormented about Sica still hanging out late in the night alone.



***



Taeyeon’s POV:



Fany opened up her arms when I stepped out of our comfort room after my shower. I hung my towel away and did a little other thing while she continuously fidgeted non-stop like a little kid. I shook my head at her behaviour, knowing that she won’t stop until she gets what she wants.



She snuggled into my arms as soon as I reached the side of our bed and rested her head on my shoulder. She sighed and sighed and without asking, I knew what she was upset about. I pecked her on her forehead, caressing her back.



‘’I’m so evil right Taetae?’’



‘’You’re more than evil! You made me fell in love and got together with you, breaking all my suitors’ hearts! How should I punish you...?’’ I joked and pretended to think really hard, biting on my nail.



She punched me on my stomach playfully, pouting. She didn’t hit me because of my joke but for me being unserious even when I clearly understood her words. I grabbed her hands and leaned in to kiss it away. 



‘’You can go and get your suitors back if you want but let’s talk about Sica first. I feel so irksome when she broke down dismally... I always tell her to settle down with someone and now that she found hers, I have to act like the obstacle between them.’’



‘’Well, you were just doing what you were supposed to do. She should have acknowledged the fact that falling in love with clients was prohibited. Now that she had done it, the more you should be the first to rescue her no matter as her best friend or her boss.’’



‘’Yuri is her first love and I could see how torn she was when I was suggesting that she quits this job and let someone take over. I was merely asking and she was already weeping like I quarantined her from Yuri for a million years. Imagine how damaged she would be when three months are up. I can’t bear to see her living in misery Taetae...’’ 



She looked up at me with her puppy eyes.



‘’Don’t you ever dare cry now.’’ I covered her eyes and continued speaking. ‘’Didn’t she text you just now and told you that she wanted to finish what she started? Look baby, if she can’t take it, she could have told you. But now that she insisted in completing her job, we should place our trust in her and let her do it. She has what it takes to overcome everything in her way.’’



‘’What if she falls even deeper for Yuri?’’



I withdrew my hand and made eye contact. Good, her tears subsided. I was horrified that those dreadful tears would really fall, making mine escape too. Sica was my best friend and it was definite that I would feel helpless like Fany when such thing happens too.



‘’We can’t assume and talk about what-ifs now, because she might eventually come to see that Yuri has someone else in her heart. By then she would most probably be able to seal the deal and move on. It takes two hands to clap you know? If Yuri doesn’t do anything affectionate and misled Sica, why would she fall deeper? Think the positive way, maybe Yuri would fall for our ice princess too?’’



She nodded, looking more convinced now. Sometimes, my girlfriend worries too much. But I know that’s because she cares. And that’s one of the reasons why I fell in love with her. I just kept looking at her, showering love on her with my eyes.



‘’Taetae ah?’’



‘’Hmm?’’



‘’What if we were in Sica and Yuri’s position now? Like I’m your Lover For Loan.’’



This question had never come across for my mind even though it had been a long time since Fany had this business with Hyoyeon. We got together way before Perfect Lovers was started.



‘’I would most probably sack you and hire another one. I will hire Hyoyeon.’’



She frowned and turned away, with her back facing me. I s my hands around her waist and pulled her closer under the covers. She tried to struggle away from my hold but her lying position was a disadvantage.



‘’Go find Hyoyeon! Why act all lovey-dovey with me now?’’



‘’Oh... So you’re pushing me away now? Okay, I’m going to look for Hyoyeon now. Don’t regret...’’ I faked loosening my hand around her and she grabbed me back instantly. I laughed at her action and she pulled the blanket over her head.



With both my hands held by Fany, I had no other means but to bite onto the cover to pull it off.



‘’You will suffocate like that honey.’’



‘’Isn’t it a good thing? You can go to Hyoyeon then!’’ She stared at me with those jealousy eyes.



‘’Do you want to know why I would hire Hyoyeon?’’



She looked at me with the ‘’you-better-give-a-good-explanation’’ face.



I brushed away her falling fringe and tucked it behind her ears.



‘’So Hyoyeon can help me go after you and make you my girlfriend.’’



A big grin flashed across her face and I knew I succeeded. She covered her blushing face with her hands except her curving smile. I peeled her hands off and cupped her face, drawing in and tasted her lips.



Fany had many suitors back then, but she chose me. From the very moment she accepted my confession, I swore to love her and put her over anything.



‘’Let’s go to bed and not think so much anymore okay? We should trust Sica.’’



‘’Okay Taetae. Goodnight.’’