CHAPTER 24

LOVE CONTRACT


‘’Unnie!’’ Seohyun called out cheerfully, entering the ward hand in hand with Yoona. ‘’Oh, Nichkhun Oppa, you are here too.’’



‘’Just doing the usual routines, I got to go prepare for the next surgery. And hello Yoona, things are looking good for you both!’’ He smiled, then turned to Victoria and patted her on the shoulder. ‘’I will come back later, Victoria. Excuse me girls, have a fun time.’’



‘’You must be Yoona, the one that always talked to me when I was still in a coma. Nice to meet you, I’m Victoria.’’ The oldest girl reached her hand out and was gladly received.



‘’Yes, I’m Im Yoona. It’s my pleasure meeting you too, Unnie. You have such a sweet voice.’’



‘’So do you. Maybe it was because of the constant hearing to you speaking that woke me up.’’ She saw those hands. ‘’Seohyun, is there anything you need to say or let me know?’’



The fair girl blushed and the patch of red was even more obvious, forming a huge colour contrast. ‘’We are an item now.’’



The two sisters did a high five while Yoona just hugged the photographer’s arm, giggling with her head hung low. They spent some time explaining to the eldest regarding their first meet, their meal outings and how Yoona managed to finish all kind of cakes in Taeyeon’s café. It was a pity that Seohyun had to be excused for a few hours to attend the weekly hospital meeting, while her girlfriend remained behind to catch up with her only kin. They stood at the door while Victoria was in the comfort room, with Yoona pouting, behaving like a little girl as she threw her hands around the waist.



‘’Why do you always have to be so busy? It’s only our first day together but yet we can’t spend it together fully…’’



‘’You can’t bear to leave me right?’’ Seohyun pinched her nose lightly and she wrenched. ‘’I don’t have a choice. Someone has to shoulder the responsibility of this hospital. Many lives are in my hand.’’



‘’That’s such a great responsibility, I know. Fine, I will let you go. But you got to be back for me fast!’’



‘’The hospital is indeed a huge job but my greatest responsibility is you. I will be right back, promised.’’



Despite all the unwillingness, Yoona gave an encouraging smile and let go of the hold. She pointed to and Seohyun gotten her signal, leaning in to capture those lips. She kept her sight on the latter until the back fully disappeared down the long quiet hallway. She turned around, preparing to go back into the ward and saw a grinning patient sitting on the sofa with a leg crossed over the other. Her eyes formed a thin line as she beamed timidly, taking a seat beside the oldest.



Nobody spoke in the beginning, while Victoria kept eyeing Yoona from head to toe with the weirdest grin ever. Awkward was probably the best and most appropriate word to describe the current circumstance. Yoona brushed her finger against her ear, laughing embarrassingly.



‘’Unnie, what’s wrong? It’s so uneasy to have you staring at me so intensively…’’



‘’My dongseng sure has a great taste to fall in love with you. You are seriously pretty.’’



‘’I’m just an original girl, except the fact that I was lucky to meet Seohyun.’’



‘’My my, you sure is humble.’’



Yoona paused to think.



‘’Falling for her was something unexpected. No offense but when I first got to work with her for our school’s photo shoot, I thought she was an anti-social because of that seriousness she carries on her face and hardly ever open unless providing instructions. I resented her attitude, the way she behaved and I even prayed to have my photographer changed.



But as I began to hang out and spent time with her, she slowly revealed the other side of herself that no one really knew. It was then when I realized that it wasn’t that she was an anti-social, it’s just that everyone felt intimidated by her appearance and no one was willing to confront this lonely girl. At the junction, I knew I wanted to help her get out of that dark hole, throw in some colours in her life. I was fortunate enough to witness her first smile in many years, I was blessed to be the one she fell in love with. To cut everything short, nothing was better than being with her.’’ 



Victoria looked at this young girl before her, then scooting over to sit with her. She placed an arm over Yoona, giving a gentle squeeze.



‘’Thank you Yoona. You helped me took care of my sister, taught her how to smile and enjoy life again. I’m glad that the one she chose was you. It doesn’t matter about which party was the lucky one to have each other, it’s about fate. You both were made to be together. As much as I wish that she provides you with everything a lover should, I hope you could give her all too. She is a poor girl that grew up with nobody’s care and love so as I pamper her and do my job as her sister, please shower her with all your affections.’’



***



‘’So what was the secret that Unnie was referring to just now?’’ The two girls walked out of the hospital hand in hand, strolling aimlessly on the crowded street. A gush of strong wind blew against them and they snuggled closer.



‘’Like you said, it’s a secret. So how can I tell you? It’s only between me and your Unnie. Unless she gives me permission, I’m not allowed to leak a single word.’’



Seohyun made a face at her girlfriend, not probing any further. She transferred her hold to the shoulder, immersing the alternative in her embrace and she gave a peck on the top of her head. Yoona leaned by the crook of the neck with a bright smile that nobody could ever wipe off.



‘’Hyunnie, let’s go for some ice cream and waffle! These look so delicious!’’ She pointed at the food displays behind the window pane of a café.



‘’What food ever not look tasty for a huge eater like you?’’ Seohyun teased and pushed the door open, dragging the pouting girl in.



They settled down at a corner, isolating themselves from the families on two big, soft arm chairs facing each other with a small low table between them. While Seohyun proceeded to the counter to get their orders, Yoona fiddled with the bracelet. Brushing her finger against the same name engraved on, she looked up at the one at the cashier. Out of sudden, she felt her eyes moistened and it stung a bit on her nose. Seeing how the photographer smiled and said thanks to the staff after the payment made her touched.



Seohyun turned to look at her, and immediately she beamed, flashing her teeth. As soon as they broke off the eye contact, Yoona stood up and approached her girlfriend who was waiting for their food. Startled at the sudden touch on her waist, Seohyun jumped a little before she came to see who it was that spin and hugged her without any warning.



‘’What’s up?’’ She the back with a hand.



‘’I just want to hug you.’’



Seohyun encircled both her hands and tightened her hold upon the answer while Yoona leaned on the chest, looking up and caressed her face. They remained in their positions for quite some time before the waitress signalled to them about their food. With the younger girl walking in front with the plates, they returned to their seats.



‘’You are acting weird. You sure you are alright?’’ The younger girl cut a small piece of waffle, scooped a spoon of ice cream placing it on top and offered the one sitting opposite her.



‘’I’m fine, really.’’



‘’Something must be wrong. Did Unnie say anything to you regarding us?’’



‘’No Hyunnie, don’t worry. I was just thinking… …’’



‘’Thinking…?’’



Yoona stared into those eyes full of tender feelings, intertwining their hands.



‘’I was just thinking of why didn’t I realise earlier how much I love you. Seohyun, I want to and I will be your rainbow after every rain.’’



She was pulled in across the table, placing her hand around the neck and crushed her lips on the other. Gaining entry at once made her took a step further, tangling their tongues together. The sweetness of the vanilla ice cream and semi-bitter taste of the melted chocolate on the waffles lingered at the tip of their mouths. The kiss was the combination of feelings from those previous times and it was brought to a whole new level. If only they didn’t have t breathe to survive, they would probably remain like that as long as possible.



‘’I love you.’’



***



Jessica stirred around, slowly opening her eyes, blinking them a few times to adapt to the bright sunlight. There was a shadow casted over her face and she looked up, seeing her girlfriend read something by the side. She observed the surrounding and saw the minor crowd further down from where they were, some on the beach, some on in the water.



She remembered doing some shopping and sightseeing with the tanned girl earlier in the day and how she was accompanied to revive her childhood memories. Brushing her fingers on the lips, she recalled the highlight of the day.



*FLASHBACK*



‘’Go stand there so I can snap a picture of you!’’



Yuri was pushed across the crowd towards the big fountain sitting in the middle of a packed parade square while Jessica stood rather far away from her, ready to press on the shutter. After she was signalled that the picture was taken, she remained in her position. The brown haired girl stretched out her hands, asking her to go over but she stood there without moving.



‘’Don’t you want to go?’’ Jessica asked while Yuri just kept her gaze at a big clock on top of the fountain and turned around out of the sudden.



‘’Jung Jessica!’’ She hollered. ‘’I love you!’’



Some people in the crowd were staring at her while some were searching for the lucky Jung Jessica whom had just received a sweet public love dedication. Yuri jumped down from the stand and approached her beaming girlfriend. She looked at the clock again before speaking.



‘’I love you, Sica.’’



She kissed Jessica on the lips with her hands encircled around the waist just as the bell of the clock rang. The petite body leaped up gently in fear but Yuri tightened her grip to ensure the other party that everything was fine. They were indulged in their little interaction as they were surrounded by tourists and locals. A few passers-by clapped upon the scene, rejoicing for the couple as well. Yuri broke off the kiss, stopping a girl holding onto a basket of roses and fished out some money to buy a stalk for her partner.



Jessica gladly accepted and threw her arms over the neck. Nothing could erase that blissful grin spread on her face and that happiness erupting within her body was overwhelming.



‘’That’s very sweet of you, Yul…’’



‘’I was told by a local that whichever couple that manage to share a kiss in front of this fountain when the bell goes off will be long lasting. Now that we did it, there’s no way you can ever escape from my clutch.’’



‘’I will stick to you so you have to be with me for the longest time ever.’’



Yuri withdrew out of the embrace, glancing straight into Jessica’s eyes and ran her fingers through her silky long hair.



‘’Please do, Jessica. Please let me be with you for as long as possible because other than oxygen, food and water, you are the next on list that I cannot live without.’’



*END OF FLASHBACK*



‘’Is my sleeping beauty awake?’’



Jessica extended her hands out when she snapped back to reality, burying her face into the palm of the alternative. Shyly she gave a nod, but refusing to get up from the lap because it was so comfortable. She loved it whenever Yuri plays with her hair, both enjoying the breeze and company of the other. It wasn’t until her phone rang before she decided to sit up and answered the call.



‘’Yes Krys?’’



‘’Mum wants me to tell you that she’s taking us to her friend’s horse farm to stay tonight and make sure that you watch the house. We will be back by tonight and make sure you watch the house. We will be back by tomorrow so you and Yuri Unnie can have the place to yourself, that suggests something naug-‘’



‘’Jung Soo Jung, don’t mock your sister!’’



Jessica giggled when she heard her mum in the background with Sulli cracking up.



‘’Fine, I’m not going to tease you since Mum’s here but you know what I mean!’’



‘’Jung Krystal!’’



‘’Alright, I will stop now! See you tomorrow then sis, we love you!’’



‘’Bye, have fun! Love you too!’’



She tossed her cell phone back in the bag, hugging both her knees closed to the chest, resting her head on the shoulder. Instinctively, Yuri placed her hand on the head, gently patting it as Jessica looked up and showered kisses on the side of the tanned girl.



‘’You woke up just in time to catch the sunset.’’



‘’It’s the first sunset we watch together as a couple right?’’ She tilted her head even more to admire her girlfriend who seemed flawless. 



‘’Yeah…’’ Yuri let out a sigh. ‘’You know, on the night we had our first kiss and fell asleep after, I had a beautiful dream which evolved into a nightmare?’’



‘’Actually, it was related to Yoona right? You were muttering her name throughout the night and I hate to admit this but it broke my heart.’’



The tanned girl’s eyebrows locked instantly as she hurried waved her hands in the air. ‘’ No baby! I did dreamt of her but the main focus was us watching the sunset together and I was about to confess to you when Yoona appeared out of nowhere to kill you! She stabbed you in your chest and your blood stained my body! You… You said you love me but I didn’t get my chance to tell you so, then your body disappeared! You know how petrified I was and how worried I was when I woke up without seeing you around me? I didn-‘’



Jessica placed her hand over the mouth and muffled the sound coming out, glancing into those eyes with a smile. Slowly she let go, sliding her hand onto the cheek. Upon seeing tears surfacing up, she gently brushed horizontally across the bottom of the eyelids and droplets rolled onto her slender finger. She closed in to brush her lips lightly on the other pair.



‘’Don’t worry, it’s just a nightmare.’’



‘’I swear, even if I did call for Yoona, it was because I wanted to stop her…’’ Yuri gave that child-liked innocent look, blinking several times.



‘’I know.’’ The American kissed her girlfriend on the forehead. ‘’I understand.’’



They shifted their gazes back to the red ball of fire that was diminishing half way through the horizon with their magnetic-liked hands that intertwined. Most of the people were gone and the only noise they heard other than each other’s breathing was the sound of waves. Nothing could of have been more perfect and enjoyable like the current atmosphere.



Jessica fiddled with the stalk of rose and thought that no other flowers would be prettier than it. They were barely official for a day but it felt like an eternity to her already. It was probably just a feeling but she comprehended that she would never ever let go of the hand she was onto at this instant no matter under what circumstances.



***



‘’I didn’t notice that you had such a big hammock at your house! It looks so fun to play with!’’



Jessica stood by the door of her back yard, leaning her body against the big glass panel and watched how entertained the tanned girl was by the hammock tightly secured onto the two thick pillars of her house. A smile crept onto her face as she watched every action of the latter who was behaving like an amazed little girl.



‘’Come join me!’’



She slowly walked over and climbed onto the swing-liked furniture and lied against the chest, pulling the hand over her waist. Yuri hugged her defensively and leaned her chin on the head. They moved it slightly and let it rocked on its own while they just did nothing but stared into the far.



‘’You know what Yuri? This year will be the first in many years that I will get to spend my birthday in America with my mum…’’



‘’I bet your mum will be anticipating as much you will be.’’



‘’Hmm… I guess. I never had so much to look forward to for my birthday every year. But this year will definitely be different because I have…’’ Jessica paused and caressed the hand on her stomach. ‘’You.’’



***



Jessica had no clue about how long they had been outside, lying on the hammock since the sky had turned dark and the moon was blurred by the clouds. The wind was getting stronger, stirring the peaceful neighbourhood with waves of cold blows. The petite girl hooked the blanket that was at the end of the furniture with her feet and spread it open single-handedly across her sleeping companion and herself.



Being the one that falls asleep first usually, it was rare for her to catch a glimpse of the serene face of Yuri in dreamland. That was the reason why she had always finds it so fascinating to be the one awake instead, seizing the chance to observe every single alluring features of the latter. Gently, she traced the eyebrows, down the bridge of the sharp nose, those soft lips and then the pointed jaw lines without waking the alternative up.



‘’Do you know,’’ She whispered. ‘’You are so beautiful… Every single thing about you attracts me, driving me nuts. Your charms blind me and the warmth you provide was always so comforting.’’



She intertwined her hand with the other, bringing them up to her face and pressed her lips on the knuckles.



‘’You are my first love, and I’m not sure if you are my last but that isn’t point. I’m thankful for you. How lost would I be without you, my guidance of all things?’’ A droplet moistened her cheek and she hurried wiped it off before it slid onto the chest she was lying on.



‘’Yuri, I appreciated your effort of having to come all the way to USA to look for me. I enjoyed all the moments we spent together and am learning to be the best girlfriend for a perfect love like you. The chances of you hearing all these are slim, but nevertheless, I still want you to know how grateful I am for your presence. You completed my life and truly wished that my existence would add a little brightness and differences in your world like how significant you were in mine.



I’m not an expert at relationships, I don’t know how to handle every fight we are going to have and I will never be a perfect person. We are both still young, and we still have a lot more to learn. But I’m willing to take chances to risk it all and learn everything there is to know just so I can keep us together. I won’t give up on you, just like how you didn’t give up on me. I promise.’’



She raised her head and watched the tanned girl skin glowed resplendently under the moonlight. Yuri turned around, facing Jessica at that moment with her eyes still closed. Her free hand encircled around the American’s waist, pulling Jessica closer. It was as if she was awake, she pulled the blanket from her side, shielding the brown-haired with majority of the cover, exposing her back slightly to the merciless night breeze. It might just be a simple gesture, but it expressed how thoughtful and how concern she was for her love, even in her sleep.



Jessica caressed the face which was a little cold, reaching out to plant a kiss on the cheek before submerging into the embrace. She took a deep breath, and a smile broke out on her face. That was the scent that she yearned to be engulfed by forever.



***



‘’Ti… Ff… Any… It hurts!’’



‘’Just bear with me for awhile more, I can’t hold it…’’



‘’Can you at least be more gentle?’’



‘’Almost there… Almost there…’’



‘’Damn it Tiffany! It’s painful!’’



‘’Yes!’’



Tiffany exclaimed at the top of her lungs, attracting attention from all directions when she punched her fist in the air. Hyoyeon blew on her sore wrist that her best friend was grabbing onto beforehand with her brows locked. They were outside of the therapy room in the hospital where Taeyeon was receiving her first session of treatment. It had barely started and Hyoyeon was already bruised.



‘’For goodness sake, Fany! Taeyeon was just getting up from the wheelchair and you were getting so excited already. Eventually you will get a if this continues and before she even reaches the end of the walking bar! And before you get , I’ll be abused to death.’’



‘’I’m sorry Hyo… I was just nervous! It’s her first session after all. The doctor said it determines if Taetae was suitable for therapy yet and you knew how much it meant to be her to be able to walk again. I promise I won’t hurt you anymore okay?’’



‘’Fine, I will forgive you this time but do what you preach. I will twist your neck if you abuse me again!’’



The twosome laughed merrily upon the statement but soon, they were engulfed by wariness as they watched the oldest girl of all placed her hands on the two bars, taking her first step with much effort. She was clutching her jaws so tightly that her jaw lines were extremely visible. Those veins on her arms looked like they were going to pop any instant since her whole body weight was solely supported by those limps.



Taeyeon looked outside the big window and searched for the view of her girlfriend. A swarm of energy penetrated through her body when she captured an eye smile from her motivation and presence of her best friend.



‘’Miss Kim, you can start anytime from now. If it hurts, let go and tell me. Never push yourself too far alright?’’ The doctor signalled and stood by the end of the bars. A nurse was there to guide her and she braced herself, taking her first step out.



It was tough to move with a stiff back and numb legs that she had not moved for weeks, and the lower part of her vertebra was aching. Beads of perspiration formed on her forehead, slowly tickling down her face. Her knuckles were turning white from the tight grips but she chose to ignore all these feelings and carried herself forward. Every move she took was such a huge effort and it was draining every bit of her energy.



‘’Hyoyeon, Taetae looked so weak. Don’t you think we should tell her to stop? Tiffany placed her hands on the glass, anxiously praying that the patient would pause to have a break before she over-works her body but it wasn’t answered. Taeyeon collapsed onto the soft mats when she could no longer withstand the pain, falling without any warning which resulted in the nurse’s failure to catch her.



‘’Damn it…’’ She launched a hard punch on the pats beneath her while the nurse held onto her waist, making sure that her injury wouldn’t worsen.



‘’Miss Kim, you should rest for a moment before you continue.’’



The professional voiced out when she picked herself up again, refusing to give in to her current medical condition. The same scenario occurred repeatedly with the short girl tumbling down but always climbing up again. She couldn’t be bothered about any comments made by those people around her, and neither did she take note of how much it hurt Tiffany to witness her proceeding on with the treatment.



Hyoyeon brushed her hand on the trembling back, attempting to comfort the latter beside her but apparently it wasn’t working. She couldn’t figure what was in that stubborn tiny brain of her friend whom rejected help. Once again the loud thud echoed through the therapy room and Taeyeon laid there on the spot, unable to move anymore due to her lower spine.



The doctor rushed to check on her, only to find a big red bruise on the wound which could split anytime if she insisted on continuing. It was the consequence of excessive movements and pressures applied on her back. Her hospital blouse was drenched by perspiration and she was gasping for oxygen while her head was almost bursting from the aching spot behind. She was immobilised at that junction, nothing was entering her brain, unable to process any thoughts.



A pair of hands cupped her kid-liked face with a pinch of agony, bringing her sight to her girlfriend. Tiffany’s eyes were filled with misery and begrudge as she wiped off those droplets from the forehead before bending down to plant a kiss on it.



‘’Stop forcing yourself Taeng. It’s going to get you nowhere except more hardship. Let’s go back to the ward and rest okay baby?’’



Taeyeon nodded reluctantly because she was disappointed in her own performance but she didn’t want to push away her support, aware that the American was silently suffering emotionally when she suffered physically. Tiffany slid her arms under Taeyeon’s shoulders, bringing her up and settled her on the wheelchair.



An almost intangible groan was heard, the patient’s face wrenched in great discomfort. The journey back to the ward was horrifying for the one pushing the wheelchair for every gentle bump could inflict unbearable pain. Hyoyeon remained behind to speak to the doctor regarding the progress of the treatment and was suggested to extend the next session to a later date.



‘’I will get it, thank you.’’



The nurse handed the new set of outfit to the girl with a tired smile and left the comfort room. Tiffany leaned on the door, letting out a deep sigh that revealed all the emotions bursting within her. She soaked the small towel with the running water, tenderly cleaning the injured that remained silent. She discovered many new blue-blacks on those arms and knees due to the great impact of umpteen falls earlier on. Dropping on her knees, she ran her fingers across them.



‘’Every single bruise you obtained when you collapsed had not just appeared here, but also imprinted on my heart that loves you. Why were you so impatient, Tae? Your condition isn’t something that you should rush into to improve. Outdoing yourself will only cause you to end up with a blunder.’’



‘’I’m like a burden to you all, right? A day with me not recovering represents another day of endless work for you and Hyoyeon!’’



‘’Kim Taeyeon, calling yourself a burden wasn’t very pleasing for me to hear and I strongly believe if Hyoyeon were to hear that, she will break you into half. I don’t find it exhausting and neither do I feel that you were a trouble you hear me? You shouldn’t assumed and think of us like that.’’



‘’But it has been so long since the doctor said that I was improving! I don’t feel a change in me!’’



‘’There are some things that just couldn’t be rushed! It takes time and never ever have negative thoughts. Sweetie, I’m backing you up. We will be in this together until you fully recover.’’



‘’How long would that be? A month, a year or ten years?’’ Taeyeon’s outburst ignited the disruption within the opposite.



‘’I don’t care how long it will take and neither should you! All you have to know is I love you and I will be there till the very end!’’



The girls stared at each other, both flaming. The reason behind their fight was actually the simplest reason of all. It wasn’t just because of Taeyeon’s stubbornness or Tiffany’s concern. It was mainly because they love each other. No one would bear to see the other one hurting and both were trying to protect each other which eventually led to the quarrel. With a much toned down voice, Taeyeon spoke again.



‘’See Fany, as much as you love me, I love you. That’s why I want to recover fast and make things easier for you.’’



Tiffany shook her head.



‘’You weren’t even supposed to be wheelchair bounded if it wasn’t for defending me. I comprehend your effort, but please, take it slowly. Nobody successes over a night. Even superman had to learn how to walk before flying right?’’



They simpered and broke out in smile.



‘’Promise me you will not force yourself anymore. I will be a part of your recovery path, no matter how tough it may be.’’