CHAPTER 14

LOVE CONTRACT

Sooyoung’s POV:



Ding Dong!



The bell was ringing continuously, waking me up from my long slumber. I looked at the clock and it was barely ten in the morning. It was a Sunday for goodness sake! Who could it be? Sunny was curled up like a ball beside me and her blanket was on the floor. She must have kicked it off again last night. I tucked her under it after picking it up and nuzzled her hair. The doorbell rang again and I got up to get the door.



‘’Coming!’’



I looked through the pigeon hole and saw a delivery man with a big box along with a bouquet of roses. I tilted my head to a side as I wondered who sent Sunny these things. I don’t remember ordering any for her.



‘’Are you Miss Sunny Lee?’’ The delivery man asked with his helmet on.



‘’I’m her girlfriend. Are these for her?’’



‘’Yes. These are registered mails and I need her signature before I can hand this over to you. Do you mind asking her forward please?’’



I nodded. ‘’Please hold on.’’ I closed the door and went back into the room.



‘’Sunny, there are registered packages for you outside. The delivery man needs your signature. Hurry wake up to sign it so he can leave.’’



She groaned against the pillow and pushed herself up reluctantly, dragging me along behind her. We ended up walking like penguins with me behind and her in front while she held onto my hands. It was kind of funny but yet cute. I opened the door once again and saw the man.



‘’I’m Sunny Lee. What do I have to sign?’’



She was handed a piece of invoice and a pen. She read the details and was somehow shocked when she turned over to look at me. She hurried signed the document and sent the guy off, bringing in the box and roses.



‘’What’s with that look? Who was it from?’’ I slouched into the beanbag on the platform beside the window while she took a seat on the sofa.



She was not replying to my questions and was reading a card that she pulled out from the flowers so I decided to wash up first before making us some breakfast. I was curious at who could have sent those things to Sunny. I mean, most of the people know that we were a pair already. So who would still boldly chase after my girlfriend in such a manner?



I spent a long period in the comfort room trying to brainstorm about the items but thought that it was best for Sunny to tell me herself. Even if she didn’t want to talk about it, I won’t probe into it. After all it’s her private thing that she might not want to share and I should trust her. By the time I got out from the bathroom, she was talking on the phone.



‘’Yes I have gotten it but I really must say that I can’t accept it. You know I’m attached.’’ She paused for a reply.



I saw the card that she was holding and stared at it. She caught me watching but she didn’t express any displeased. She handed me the card, knowing that I would want to read but not asked for it unless she granted permission. I took over with one hand and held onto hers with the other.



‘’Look, maybe I wasn’t clear enough before but I really don’t think this is appropriate. I have to go now. I will return those gifts to you tomorrow.’’ She hung up, throwing her phone onto the cushion. ‘’Go ahead and read it if you want. I don’t mind.’’



She left me alone in the living room to wash up and I started reading the card.



‘’Dear Sunny,



Remember me asking you to the company dinner of my grandfather’s? Please accept my invitation and come with me. My grandfather is getting old and he really wants to see me with a girl during his last few years. You know why I chose you right? I really like you although I know you and that student model are together. But have you ever given a thought about us? I don’t know what you see in Choi Sooyoung that I don’t have, and I really think I deserve a chance. Let me have a fair competition with her. I have confidence that I will win your heart over. I have no idea what kind of dress you would like the best so I bought nine different kinds for you to choose from. Trust me that I can provide you with double of what Choi Sooyoung can and cannot provide you with, just let me have a chance. Please consider me, I can definitely beat her.



Sincerely,
Lee Sung Min’’



I simpered at the last phrase of his. He wanted to compete with me? I wasn’t as confident as him, I was just being flattered that the Mr.Popular in school was levelling himself with me. I was clueless about what comments I should make when Sunny was out.



‘’So… how was it?’’



I just finished digesting the letter and barely had any time to think about it before she was out. She joined me and played around with the letter.



‘’So do you want me to fight with him?’’



‘’I don’t need you to fight with him. I just want to know if you mind.’’



‘’Do you like him?’’ I drew her into my embrace and pressed my lips on her forehead.



‘’No I don’t and I never will.’’



I smiled at her response. ‘’Problem solved. Let’s go shopping, shall we?’’



***



Yoona’s POV:



My body shot up upon the sudden startling sound of my house phone dropping on the ground. I let out a deep sigh and flopped back onto my bed after picking it up. The red light was flashing, indicating that someone was still on the other line.



I placed it back on my ear, only to hear the faint sound of ventilator which I figured belonged to Victoria Unnie. I giggled at the thought of a sleeping Seohyun after I dozed off during our conversation the night before and listened to the soft breathing for the next few minutes before deciding to hang up.



I grinned unknowingly, recalling how I ‘’magically’’ fell asleep after hearing the smoothing voice of Seohyun. She might be cold at times, or in fact, all the time, but she was still a nice girl. She was understanding towards me, at least. I had a sudden unexplainable desire of seeing her and I hurried up to prepare myself.



I made faces while staring into the mirror brushing my teeth, considering if I should make some breakfast for her. I opened my fridge and stared at whatever ingredients I had inside, coming to a conclusion that I should make some kimbap.



I was in an extremely great mood, humming to the music video that was playing on the television. I kept a lookout for the time, hoping that I would make it to the hospital before Seohyun wakes up.



I washed the rice after cracking the eggs, waiting for it to fry and set the timer on the rice cooker. Steadily, I positioned myself when the eggs were ready to be flipped to cook the other side. Thankfully it managed to stay in the pan and I couldn’t help it but to pat myself on the shoulder, seeing that my cooking skills had yet to rust since the last time I cooked.



I paused for a moment, staring at my kitchen counter with different varieties of fillings for the kimbap. Despite having meals with Seohyun for umpteen times, I still wasn’t sure what flavour of food she would prefer. Not wanting to waste anymore time, I thought that it would be best if I make a few more choices for her to choose from. Slicing wasn’t a problem, but to do it fast and neat while attending to other cooking food was definitely a tough challenge. The eggs were in the pan, the rice was in the cooker and I was running out of time.



‘’Damn!’’



I shrieked aloud when the sharp knife slid across my index finger after been startled by the loud beeping sound of the rice cooker. Swiftly, I pushed the food away onto the plate before my blood stained the chopping board, securing hygiene.



I turned off the stove before washing my bleeding wound, afraid that the eggs might be burnt. The stinging pain was almost unbearable, sending shivers down my spine when the tap water came rinsing down on the spot. I clutched my jaws so tight I could feel the soreness by the side of my mouth.



I checked my cellphone back in my room while I was searching for the first aid box and saw a message from Seohyun.



From: Seohyun
To: Yoona
8:25AM



‘’Sorry, I fell asleep. Are you awake yet?’’



Now that she was awake, I feared that she might leave the hospital anytime before I could make it on time.



From: Yoona
To: Seohyun
8:28AM



‘’Good Morning Hyunnie! (: Going home soon?’’



Without much time to spare, I carelessly plastered my wound up before I checked my inbox again.



From: Seohyun
To: Yoona
8:28AM



‘’Stop with that Hyunnie, I told you it’s Seohyun! You want me to call you Yoongie too? Vic Unnie’s doctor wants to speak to me about her condition. He sounded rather serious. It might last for quite some time I suppose, so I’m not going home any sooner. I will get back to you in awhile.’’



I sighed in relief, knowing that I still had a little more time to settle everything and reached Seohyun’s office before she finishes her discussion with the doctor. I refrained myself from bending my index finger since it would hurt when I was wrapping the kimbap.



‘’Ham, carrots, spinach, eggs and cucumbers.’’



I checked all the kimbap as I packed them into a cute box with a pair of smiling green frog and alligator on the cover. I never knew frog and alligator would look so cute together. Somehow, red liquid was tickling down my hand and the pain was much more distinguished. Nevertheless, I merely grabbed a few kitchen towels pressing on my wound and hired a cab, leaving for my destination.



***



Nobody’s POV:



‘’Are you saying that she might actually come around? Like after being in a coma for so many years?’’



The doctor nodded with a joyous smile. ‘’Yes Miss Seohyun. Miss Victoria’s condition had surprisingly improved tremendously over the short period. We were doing our regular check-ups and realized that her brain waves indicated that she was responding to the surrounding.’’



‘’Is there an estimated time of when she would be awake?’’



‘’It could be anytime from now.’’



Seohyun leaned back onto the chair, shaking her head in disbelief. She was attempting to digest all the new information she had just received. There was an outburst of feelings messing with her mind and soul. The invisible large burden that had pressing on her chest was finally lifted off.



‘’Will there be any sequelae?’’



‘’It’s hard to tell now. We still have to do another round of check-ups before we could confirm. But at least, miracle is happening now. I still have to go do my rounds so allow me to take my leave first. You can also ask me if you have any more further enquires.’’



The doctor excused himself, leaving the girl behind drowning so deep in her thoughts she didn’t even notice that someone had arrived at her door. Yoona knocked again before the latter looked up in surprise.



‘’Breakfast delivery!’’



Seohyun stood up and approached the other girl, settling at the coffee table, laying the mouth watering food out.



‘’You made all of these?’’ Her eyes lit up with a sight of amazement. She liked those colourful food. It just made her felt even better after the good news.



Yoona nodded and tore the disposable chopsticks apart, handing over to the alternative. It wasn’t even then when Seohyun realized the large patch of blood stained kitchen towel wrapping around the finger.



‘’What the hell happened?! That’s so much blood!’’



‘’It’s just a cut, there’s nothing to fuss about.’’



The younger one took the hand into hers and inspected the wound. The plasters were sticking on the flash because of the careless treatment earlier, and it made things even more difficult. She brought Yoona to the sink across the room and rinsed the plasters off.



Once again, pain speared through the finger, penetrating down her body. Instinctively, Yoona grabbed onto the cushion chair, wanting to distract herself. Seohyun then dapped the bruise dry with clean gauze.



‘’What have you done? The cut is so deep! Let’s get you treated properly.’’



***



‘’I didn’t know a cut would cause so much problems.’’ Yoona brushed her finger across the small bandage.



‘’It wasn’t merely a cut, it was a deep one. Didn’t you hear what the doctor said? You could have gotten an infection.’’



‘’Are you going to start scolding me again? I can’t even cut something properly and landed myself in such a pathetic state. I’m sorry, I just wanted to-‘’



Seohyun came to a dead track before entering her office and glared fiercely at Yoona. She was indeed preparing to reprimand her, not because of her carelessness but because of the self-reprove. However, as soon as her sight met with the other, her facial expression softened. She held the hand and spoke in the gentlest tone she had ever used in her grown up life.



‘’I wasn’t going to scold you. I was just concerned. Be careful the next time you cook alright? I don’t want to see you get injured again.’’



Those locked brows slowly untied and a smile formed on the face. Yoona was taken aback by the tone she was hearing. She was expecting a good scolding like how she always would but it seemed like Seohyun was slowly revealing the caring side of herself now. That was nothing bad, of course. It just made her felt that the damage was worth.



‘’Because Hyunnie said so, I will be extra extra careful the next time! Come, let’s try my breakfast!’’



She dragged the younger one into the office and began to dissolve the food she made. It turned cold after such a long time, but Seohyun was still indulged in the meal. It had been years since she last had any food that made her felt touched.



That kind of taste which resembles home.



***



‘’I want to watch that horror movie!’’



‘’Let’s watch a comedy instead. Have a good laugh, you know?’’



‘’I know... Someone’s afraid!’’



‘’Who... Who says so?!’’



‘’Ahhh~ somebody’s stuttering! Looks like I hit on the bull’s eye!’’



‘’I... I... Aish fine! I’m scared! Happy?!’’ Sooyoung covered her face with the big chicken soft toy that she won at the arcade for her girlfriend.



They were at the cinema, standing in the middle of nowhere with a big chicken, unaware of which movie to catch. The genre that they both liked was not the same, and the worst of the worse was that Sunny loved horror movie which definitely would never make it to Sooyoung’s movie list.



The last time they caught a horror movie together made the taller but younger girl spilled her nachos over the person in front of her when she jumped in fear as soon as the ghost made an appearance. She was almost skinned alive by that burly man for pouring the cheese onto his hair and getting chips into his shirt. She then swore to never watch horror movies anymore.



‘’Aww Sooyoungie~ Sunny really wants to watch that movieeeee! Everybody said that it was nice! I will die of regret if I don’t get to watch it!’’



Sooyoung buried her head even deeper into the toy, almost suffocating herself. Her girlfriend just whined into her ear, causing her legs to turn jelly. She always knew that she would give in to the one she loves no matter how reluctant she was to do certain things, expecially when it comes to Sunny. She was just about to agree when another voice was heard.



‘’If she doesn’t want to watch with you, I will.’’



The couple turned to the voice source, only to see this well-dressed, prince looking guy in a white suit standing in front of them. He was carrying a box of expensive chocolate, tied with a big red ribbon. He walked over to Sunny and held up her hand, pecking on it without any permission. The soft toy was looking like it was closed to bursting because of the strong grip on it.



‘’What do you think you are doing, Lee Sung Min?’’



‘’This is for you, Sunny. I got my friend to bring it back from France. I hope you like it.’’ Sung Min was totally oblivious towards Sooyoung’s question, not even looking at her and handed the box of sweet snack to the abashed Sunny.



Sunny looked back and fro, switching her sight from Sung Min to her girlfriend and back to her suitor again. ‘’I’m sorry but I don’t want any of these, take it back. Now if you could excuse my girlfriend and me, we are going to watch our comedy.’’



She intertwined their hands and brought Sooyoung away. She wasn’t sure if it was her not being clear enough or Sung Min didn’t get what she just said, the guy was following tightly behind them.



‘’You know Sunny, we can always watch the horror movie together if someone was too cowardly to catch it with you.’’ He stood beside them at the ticket counter. Every of his words spiked Sooyoung so much it was pushing her to her limits. Fancy that she even thought that she would never give a damn about him.



‘’Good Afternoon Miss. What movie would you like to watch?’’



‘’Can I have two tickets for the comedy?’’



‘’No, make it two tickets for the horror movie please. I want the middle row, seat 24 and 25. Thank you.’’ Sooyoung changed her mind after Sunny ordered the tickets, not wanting to be presented as a wimp in front of her rival. 



Sung Min simpered and leaned on the counter. ‘’I want to book the whole theatre. Charge it to my card.’’



***



She flinched at every single sound coming from the movie and did everything to make sure she doesn’t shut her eyes or scream out loud. The movie was gross, bloody, disgusting and most importantly, horrifying. She chewed and chewed on the nachos, but grabbing onto the box twice tighter than usual to control herself from throwing it over like the previous time.



Sunny was focusing on the girl beside her more than the movie or the guy sitting on the other hand of hers. She thought it was adorable of Sooyoung to pretend to be strong and refused to give in. Maybe it was childish on one side of the view, but it was actually rather sweet of her too.



Being alert as always, she foresees that the was reaching. Tears were threatening to fall from her girlfriend’s eyes. She hurried cupped Sooyoung’s ears and crushed her lips onto the other pair just before Sung Min was about to take her hand.



The alternative let out an intangible whimper; half- relief about skipping the scene and half-overwhelmed by the random kiss. Slowly, she put her hands around the neck and savoured the delicious lips. For the first time in her life, she was a little thankful towards Sung Min for booking the whole theatre, allowing her to do what she had always yearned to do with Sunny during a movie.



Maybe, a horror movie wasn’t so bad after all.