Chapter 5

Two is Enough

Once again, Kyungsoo woke up to the sound of his son crying. He nudged Kai to tend to the boy's needs but Kai won't budge. For the past two months, Kai have been working so hard at the cafe that he wouldn't wake up whenever his son cries in the middle of the night. Kyungsoo got out of the bed and made his way to Jaehyun's room. The boy was crying so hard as he saw Kyungsoo standing and watching over him, he reached out his small hands to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo carried Jaehyun from the crib and checked if he had dirtied himself but it wasn't like that. He brought Jaehyun to the kitchen to prepare milk for the baby while bouncing him in his arms.

 

After preparing the milk, Kyungsoo sat at the inclined armchair and cradled Jaehyun closer to his arms. He brought the bottle to Jaehyun's mouth but the boy wouldn't drink it. He kept pushing the bottle away from his mouth. Kyungsoo sighed and placed the bottle on the table and continued bouncing Jaehyun in his arms walking back and forth around the living room. He wiped the tears from Jaehyun's eyes. Kyungsoo tried everything that he could think of to calm the baby down but nothing seems to work. He went back to the room and took the plushy that he bought for him and the rattle but Jaehyun pushed it away and cried harder. It was then that it hit him that Jaehyun might be down with fever. He placed his hand on Jaehyun's forehead and found out that he was burning hot.

 

“Jongin! Wake up! Jaehyun! He's running a temperature!” Kyungsoo said as he shook Kai awake.

 

Kai woke up rubbing his eyes and took the crying Jaehyun from Kyungsoo's arms and hugged the boy to sleep.

 

“YAH! I DIDN'T WAKE YOU UP TO FALL ASLEEP BACK WITH HIM! COME ON, JONGIN-AH. We need to rush to the hospital before it worsen,” Kyungsoo said as his voice filled with worry.

 

-

 

The journey to the hospital was long and unbearable for Kyungsoo because Jaehyun have been crying for the past hour. Since the time they got into the car until the moment they reached the hospital. The nurses had to take Jaehyun away from Kyungsoo's hold. And it hurt the older to watch his son bawling as the nurses gave him a jab. The doctors ran a check on Jaehyun and found out that it was a normal fever but they were lucky that they realised it earlier because it would have been something more serious. The nurses told the couple that they could visit Jaehyun the next morning but Kyungsoo was so stubborn that he wanted to stay by his son's side.

 

“Kyungsoo baby? Let's go home, shall we?” Kai asked as he slowly nudged Kyungsoo at his ribs.

 

“No. I don't want to. I want to stay by Jaehyun's side till he wakes up,” Kyungsoo said as he slowly caressed Jaehyun's hair.

 

“We have to go home. Can you please think of your health and the baby in your tummy?” Kai said as he placed his hands on Kyungsoo's two months old belly.

 

“No. Jaehyun's health is more important to me,” Kyungsoo said as he swatted Kai's hands away from his belly.

 

“Baby, don't you love our second gift as much as Jaehyun?” Kai asked. “This baby is as important to us as Jaehyun is. We'll come back tomorrow morning okay?” Kai said as he lifted Kyungsoo up from his seat who was still reluctant to leave.