"The Play"

Love is Patient, Love is Kind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mr. Kim Jongin, I have some good news for you.” The principal smiled at Kai, but it wasn’t a gentle one; he possessed an evil aura, and Kai didn’t like it one bit. In return, Kai gave him a glare, like usual.

“What do you mean?” Kai couldn’t help but ask. “You mean I’m done with all my after-school activities?” He asked with a hint of hope in his voice, but the principal gave him a response that didn’t meet his expectations.

“What? No, you silly boy.” He replied, chuckling at the younger one just before him. “You just started, what do you mean you’re done?” He laughed even louder, adjusting his eyeglasses and wiping his nonexistent tears.

“So…” Kai trailed off, slightly fidgeting in his seat. “…What do you want me to do now? I’ll do whatever you want me to do…I mean, it’s not like I want to, but you know…I have to help my mom.” Kai frowned, biting his lips in nervousness. “I’ll do whatever you want, Sir.”

Although Kai still showed his proud side to the principal, the older one still sensed and he definitely knew that Kai indeed was a good boy; a good student, a good friend, a good son and a good person deep inside. So instead of giving Kai that creepy smile of his, he replaced it with a warm one; a smile that would comfort Kai.

“This task is not that hard, Jongin.” The principal assured him. “Well, for me it isn’t.” He continued, still smiling. “And I’m pretty sure you’ll benefit from this, plus, your grades will increase if you do what I say.”

“So what’s this easy task you’re talking about, Sir?” Kai asked, his eyebrows meeting in the center. “I…I hope it won’t be that hard, and you know, it’s because I-“

“-Oh, no, no, no, my son, no,” The principal shook his head while snapping his fingers in front of Kai’s face, and he leaned in closer, whispering, “You’ll be part of a play.”

“Excuse me?” Kai asked, leaning in closer as well since he didn’t hear what he said. “I didn’t seem to catch what you had-”

“-I said you’ll be part of a school play, and you’re one of the main characters there, so you better do this well and do your best-”

“-WHAT?!” Kai stood up, his eyes as wide as saucers as he clenched his fists in anger. Of course he was angry. He wanted to do the easy tasks more than playing as one of the main characters in a play. He had never tried acting in front of anyone before! What more the whole school with all the students and all the parents and visitors watching! “-But, but…I-I had never-”

 “-Now’s not the time to question me, my boy.” The principal grinned once again. “Let’s see if you’ll still question me once the play is done.” He chuckled. It seemed as if he knew what was going to happen to Kai, but Kai didn’t know what would happen to him. Maybe he’d die in the middle of memorizing his script.

“But I’ve never been in front of a lot of people, S-Sir.” Kai sat down once again, biting his lips. “I-I…I mean. It’s not like I’m complaining, but…what if they won’t like my acting? What if-”

“-Don’t worry about that.” The principal cut him off again, sighing as he said, “No one will care; you’re one of the most popular students here in this school, so no one will-”

“-Exactly my point, Sir.” Kai argued, running his hands through his hair in annoyance. “It’s not like I care about what they think, but…what if the other lead character won’t feel comfortable with me?”

“You actually do care about other people.” The principal laughed. “I thought this Kim Jongin in front of me didn’t have a heart to care about other people?”

“Pfft.” Kai scoffed, rolling his eyes,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter