"I'd Still Love You"

Love is Patient, Love is Kind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Titanic is too dramatic," Ae Sook said, as Kai brought Titanic as their topic. "Life is sad, that's true, but not that sad," she finished with a grin. "Smile. Smile while you still can."

 

Kai looked up at her, confused. Who would think Titanic's too dramatic? Kai questioned in his mind. Even he liked it.

 

Ae Sook, looking at Kai, thought that he was too privileged to live life, being healthy and all. At least he still had a long, bright future ahead of him, while Ae Sook, on the other hand, thought that she didn't. There will never be a future for me, she said, feeling downcasted, bringing herself not to cry in front of him. It would be too embarrassing if she did. Now that they were - somewhat - together, Ae Sook thought, she got even more sensitive and insecure around him, not knowing what to do, or say, when he was with her. It seemed as if everything she'd do was wrong, and she did force herself to believe that she always messed up, stuttering here and there, but to shush her, to tell her it was okay to be herself around him, Kai just brings their lips together in a warm, gentle kiss everytime. It always made her go all silent, and she'd thank him by kissing him back.

 

"Life's too short, so don't waste a single moment and just keep smiling," she looked up at the sky with that contented side smile of hers, letting the moon's light crawl up to her soft, pale skin, and for a brief moment, he thought their conversation had gone way too serious, too emotional; of course, it made him think about his life as well, and he thought he couldn't have said it any better than her, but the way the tone of her voice sounded made him hurt inside somehow.

 

And Kai didn't know why.

 

He stayed silent, letting her words set in slowly, and after a long period of time, Kai let a smile find its way up to his face, his lips, and then before he knew it, he was looking up at the sky, too. No words could explain how he felt; it wasn't new; all the sadness, happiness, confusion: all of those were emotions he'd feel all the time whenever he was with her. He'd feel happy whenever she smiled, he'd feel sad whenever she frowned, and when she'd cry, Kai would feel confused; her tears were too precious to fall, anyways - she shouldn't be crying.

 

In Kai's balcony was where they sat, just resting on a blanket, gazing up at the stars in the beautiful sky. It was silent with only the crickets singing in the night, with the wind howling softly like wolves in the darkness. The stars were Ae Sook's dreams, she kept that in mind, as she stared at them; they were spread out, bright, hopeful, but so close, yet so far away. Her dreams were bright and they had so much meaning to them, still shining brightly as if they still wanted to be fulfilled, wanted to be heard, done; they still had so much potential and light in them that it would be a waste to just set them aside, forget them, until their light wouldn't be glistening anymore - till their voices wouldn't be heard deep inside, leaving them to just cry and sink back into the darkness. It was difficult to fulfill all her little dreams with her weak state. It would be too difficult to achieve them on her own.

 

Too difficult.

 

For one second, all she felt was the wind blowing in her face, and she smiled despite her pain. Surprisingly, the next second, all she felt was warmth crawling up to her skin slowly - quite literally. She glanced to her side to see what it was, but then, it didn't take her by surprise as Kai continued to crawl his fingers to meet her hand, successfully securing hers to his not so long after. He had that signature smile of his that was endearing and charming, and in that moment, all they did was hold each other in their own gaze, and eventhough it was just for a moment, they felt safe. Ae Sook felt safe.

 

Fingers intertwined, Kai scooted closer to her and kept her warm, and for a brief moment, he let go of her hand to wrap another blanket around her to keep her even warmer, though she was practically burning inside due to Kai's sweetness. "Stay warm," Kai said thoughtfully, smiling. Ae Sook had that bright pink tint splattered across her cheeks, and she silently thanked God for the darkness, but she still hoped he wouldn't see it. The moment Kai leaned in slowly, she flinched, but she silently waited what he'd do. A sweet, warm kiss landed on her cheek and she closed her eyes, blushing madly. Obviously, Kai had seen her blush, but this time, she actually didn't care anymore, eventhough she did not a minute ago.

 

"At least Jack dies saving her," Kai continued, Titanic still in his mind. He glanced at her and searched for a reaction. Ae Sook then remembered how Jack let Rose rest on top of that door that was floating in the ocean, and how he placed himself at risk of dying while he was there, feeling cold in the water; eventually, he died due to hypothermia, and now, Ae Sook knew what Kai meant. "It's better than saving himself. It's always better to put someone ahead of you instead of saving your own being," Kai continued.

 

Then save me, Ae Sook thought as she heard Kai's steady breathing as he inhaled and exhaled slowly; if only she could breathe like that for a long time without having so much pain in her body - if only she could stay with Kai during her last breath. If only.

 

Save me, Kai...

 

"Then save me..." she murmured, hoping he would hear it, at the same time, not, despite their close proximity, and by Kai's raised eyebrows and his "Hm?" she guessed he hadn't heard it. She hoped he had heard it. Even a bit of it. When Kai looked at her expectantly, hoping for her to say it again, she let out a faint giggle, and she shook it off, successfully distracting Kai as she pulled him in even a bit closer just to pull the covers over their legs, their arms, to stay warm in the cold, cold night. She rested her head in Kai's shoulders, snuggling in the crook of his neck and she sighed. Ae Sook hoped he had heard it. Ae Sook hoped Kai heard her faint cry deep inside. She continued to hope.

 

Later that night, they played the piano one more time. Kai helped her remember the notes better now, and she grinned inside. She was happy. Though she was learning slowly, it was better than not learning anything at all. Ae Sook played the song he had taught her, and every once in a while, she stopped as she let Kai use his hands to guide her. The way he was so patient and gentle with her made her smile and burn and melt deep inside over and over again, but then again, it was Kai. Kai, being the only one in her sight, was the only one who had made her feel that way, made her question her sanity every time.

 

The play was just around the corner, and they still had that in mind. Of course they couldn't ignore the fact that it was nearing. They were ready as ever, knowing their lines perfectly, so they, particularly Kai, took this chance to spend their remaining time together, wisel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter