"Ready, Set, Action!"

Love is Patient, Love is Kind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was finally the day of the play with everyone busy backstage, preparing what they needed and some even turning round and round, covering their ears and talking to themselves, rehearsing their parts. The staff shouted here and there, saying the lights were too dark, saying the stage was too slippery, but in the end, it was all taken cared of. With the floor mopped, with the lights adjusted, with the costumes and props all ready, everything was set, and all that was left was the cast who were in their perspective places, some even jumping around and some cheering the others on, saying, "We can do this!" Indeed, everyone was busy, and Ae Sook and Kai weren't an exception. With everyone all ready and with the curtains shut, Ms. Kim went up the stage and introduced the play to the audience.

 

"Good evening, everyone," Ms. Kim started with her usual smile, all big and genuine. When her voice boomed backstage, everyone practically jumped up, all shocked of the voice that had started. Some whispers were heard backstage, saying, "Is that Ms. Kim?" and some nervous ones saying, "It's officially starting, huh?" were heard, too. But unlike everyone else, Ae Sook whipped her head back and forth, left to right, in search of someone, and a small whisper left her lips.

 

"Where are you, Kai?"

 

Meanwhile, on the other side, Kai was in search for no other than Ae Sook, too. His eyes as wide as saucers and his insides telling him to search for her more, he backed off from the line and turned around to go search for her.

 

"Nuh-uh, Mister," one staff member smiled smugly at him, catching Kai in his arms as he turned around. Kai swore inside as he was caught. "Go back to the line, will ya? The play's starting, so might as well go back, yeah?"

 

Without any word escaping from Kai's lips, he was being dragged straight to his place. Kai glanced at the man who was now looking and him with eagle eyes, making sure he wouldn't wander around anymore. Then Kai thought of an idea as he, too, smiled smugly.

 

After a few seconds, the man went away, maybe to go prepare as well, and as soon as his back was displayed right in front of Kai's face, Kai made a run for it.

 

Kai ran to the other side, passing by a couple of people, now realizing that the backstage was too big - too big, in fact. Where could she be? Kai thought, as he glanced at a few heads, his heart dropping slowly as each one of them wasn't what he was searching for. He let out a small, shaky whisper to himself as he continued running backstage, in hopes of finding her.

 

"Where are you, Ae Sook?"

 

As Ae Sook was in her position, standing and waiting for her turn to go present, she felt a tug in her heart, and she knew there was something missing. It couldn't be complete without Kai - without seeing Kai. Even one small smile of his could reassure her, could be more than a big 'You can do this!' - it would completely lift her mood up, so high up in the ground and make her mood turn the complete opposite, thinking that now she was feeling confused, worried, nervous and scared; especially scared since the one person she has been spending a lot of time with, the one person she's been hoping to see first thing before the play, is gone, isn't present.

 

At the back of her mind, she thought Kai was in his perspective position, all ready and up for the play, but somewhere in her heart, she knew he would come - Kai was the type to go search for her, she thought. But now that her part was nearing, and Kai still wasn't here in front of her, smiling at her, or even here to cheer her on, she felt like she wanted to go hide in the darkness, away from the lights, and cry.

 

And that's exactly what she did.

 

As she backed away from the line, she heard a few "Ae Sook? Where are you going? It's almost your turn," and a few "Are you okay?" judging from her confused and shattered expression, and Ae Sook must've thought she was crazy because in her mind, she could hear a few lectures from Ms. Kim, saying, "Ae Sook? Where do you think you're going?"

 

For once in her life, she was actually scared of what people might say to her, now that her turn was almost up. For once, she actually felt so weak and fragile. For once, she actually felt so empty, like a black hole was dragging her down. And for once, more than ever, Ae Sook felt like no one was there for her, to guide her, to embrace her, and to cheer her on with a smile.

 

"Where are you?" Ae Sook let out, as she continued to back away and bring her legs to move to the darkness, to the shadows in which the curtains provided. She silently thanked the curtains for providing darkness, where in all places, she could cry.

 

"I'm right here," a voice said as Ae Sook was pulled back in the shadows, away from all people, with one hand covering to prevent her from letting out noises. And once the hand was put down and as a tiny glimpse of light from the moon just outside the window was shown to display what was in front of her, Ae Sook let out a small cry.

 

"Where have you been?" Ae Sook shrieked as small teardrops were falling from her eyes, and before it could worsen, her lips were occupied with another pair, shushing her, as if saying the silence surrounding them was better than speaking. Without any second passing, fingers were wiping her tears away and a hand was soon cupping her cheek.

 

"Does it even matter?" comes the reply, as that familiar low, husky voice was heard. And while their lips were still touching, she felt a small smile form as that person said that. "I'm now here, aren't I?"

 

She nodded slowly, with a smile, feeling her pain vanish little by little, and as more seconds passed with his arms around her waist and her lips being captured, the more she felt her sadness and nervousness go away.

 

"I've been searching all over for you," Kai said, from the darkness, as Ae Sook searched for his eyes and as her fingers searched for his face, but Kai guided her fingers to his skin, his flesh, and that's when she saw his eyes, just under the moon's light. She replied with a silent, "I've been searching for you, too," and that was all before her lips were being taken once again, but this time, in a sweeter kiss, the one which is not filled with urgency. Their kiss didn't need any more urgency now that they've seen each other, now that they were in each other's arms.

 

Kai whispered his sorries to her and she dodged them away, saying they weren't needed and that she understood, and to let him know that she really meant it, she captured his lips in a much deeper kiss this time - but still gentle and sweet - the type of kiss Ae Sook would give him, not caring if her makeup was ruined, and besides, none of them cared if their hair and props were ruined in the first place. This was much more important.

 

She placed her hands down to his chest from locking her fingers too tight in his hair, from their kiss, but he just smiled, saying he liked the urgent, straightforward Ae Sook as well.

 

"Are you ready?" Kai asked her and she nodded. She asked him the same question and he, too, nodded with a grin, and it was like he showed her somehow, that all the practicing didn't go to waste. It was as if Kai just came here to cheer her on and to bring her mood up by embracing and kissing her, and it was as if he told her it was alright by planting sweet kisses onto her lips. And now that she felt bett

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter