Escalation

The little things

Realising that they’d known each other all of three days the boys broke apart and, stepping past Kris quickly, Tao picked up his top held it awkwardly to his chest. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what I, I don’t know why I-” Floundering for words Tao bit his bottom lip and stared blankly at the older boy.

“Don’t apologise it was my fault. Alcohol still in the system ya know.” Flashing a guilty smile at Tao Kris picked up his own top and walked towards the door, opening it he froze seeing Chanyeol the other side, hand raised ready to knock.

Eyes widening at Kris’s bare torso Chanyeol looked over his shoulder to see Tao buttoning his jeans, jaw hanging open the teen took a step away from Kris and, keeping his eyes on Tao called down the hall, “Suho!” Jumping at the sudden shout Tao stepped forwards and in the most cliché way possible reached out to Chanyeol as he blurted, “It’s not what you think!” Knowing that Tao would try and talk him out of telling anyone Chanyeol made a break, running downstairs. He could hear the other boys behind him and almost collided into the closed hallway door, only just managing to scrabble into the living room before Tao pulled his arm in an attempt to get him out of the room before he could say anything to Suho. The leader along with Luhan, Lay, D.O and Kai was sat watching an old action movie, seeing Tao and Kris desperately trying to get Chanyeol out of the room distracted them all and pausing the movie Suho stood up and shouted at the boys to stop.

“What the hell is going on?” Stepping forwards Chanyeol whispered to Suho, telling him what he’d seen and before Tao had the chance to explain anything Suho was having a hushed conversation with Kai who nodded a few times before flashing out of the room.

“Why don’t you guys sit down?”

“Suho, you don’t understand it was just-”

“Tao. Stop. For once could you just do what I ask?” Hanging his head Tao trudged to one of the arm chairs and took a seat, the rest of the boys all sat around waiting in silence. Kai flashed back into the room, bringing the rest of the boys with him and joining the rest they all sat around the room while Suho prowled in front of them.

“This is the last straw Tao. I’m sorry but I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

As soon as the words left Suho’s mouth everybody’s eyes snapped to Tao. The teen couldn’t speak, he couldn’t breathe. All he could do was stare, jaw hanging and eyes wide, at Suho. After catching his breath Tao looked around the room to see if any of the boys would stand up for him, say something, do something, anything. In the end it was Kris that stood up and shook his head at Suho, almost as shocked as Tao. “That’s not fair, I’ll go, it wasn’t Tao’s fault I-” Speaking over Kris Suho looked around all of the boys, his voice demanding and powerful.

“You want to go with him fine. And anyone else, for that matter, that thinks I’m being unfair or a bad leader can go as well.” Glaring at Kris he directed a sarcastic, flourished bow in his direction and spoke spitefully to the older boy, “Maybe the wonderful Kris will make a better leader. Go on, choose!” As soon as the final word left Suho’s lips Baekhyun and Chanyeol were by his side. Sehun followed relatively quick but to Kris’s and Suho’s surprise the rest of the boys hesitated. Finally grasping what was happening around him Tao shakily got to his feet and with tear filled eyes stood by Kris, doing his best to stand tall despite how surreal everything felt. Lay was with Tao in seconds, sympathetically wrapping his arms around the teen, and unsure if it was because Tao had stepped up or because they genuinely wanted to join him, Chen and Xiumin joined Kris, flanking him protectively as they had Suho not days before.

Disbelief and anger was obvious on Kai's face as he pushed himself off the sofa he’d been settled into and, pulling D.O with him, stood behind Suho.

Luhan was the only one that was stuck. The others seemed to make their decisions so easily but he couldn’t get his head around what was going on. He looked, confused, at the boys that stood with Suho and part of him a large part wanted to run to them and feel safe with the people he’d been with for years. Sehun was staring at him, pleading with wide eyes, desperation splayed across his face and Luhan wanted to go to him, hold him and tell him everything would be ok because they were together.

 

“Luhan.” Lay’s voice crashed through the silence and shattered Luhan’s thought process. Turning to face his lover Luhan almost gave into the wave of tears that was threatening him. Lay was extending a hand to him, clearly oblivious to the fact that Luhan felt like he was betraying everything he’d ever known by even thinking about being lead by Kris instead of Suho. Glancing once more at Sehun the boy started walking towards Kris. Towards Lay.

“How could you?” From the quiver in his voice it was easy to tell that Sehun was on the verge of crying. It took every ounce of self control Luhan had in him to turn around and face the boy he loved, and see how much pain he was causing him, and not run to his side.

“I’m not choosing a person Sehun, you know what would happen if I was.” A sad smile tilted the corner of Luhan’s mouth as he continued, “And I don’t want to choose a side. But I can’t follow someone that is willing to give up so much, over something so trivial.” The boy could feel tears stinging his eyes and could hear himself losing control. The other members that had chosen Kris stood closer to him to give their support. Lay stepped away from Tao to be beside Luhan, taking his hand gently. Rather than a loving gesture it felt, to Luhan, like the younger boy was marking his territory as he pulled Luhan away from the rest of the boys on Suho’s side, away from the boy Luhan actually loved.

Looking over his shoulder to the teen as Lay pulled him away Luhan mouthed a simple, “I’m sorry.”