Sinking

The little things

Once Tao and Kris were back at home Tao had somehow sunken back into his repressive state. Feeling scared of his new responsibility Kris didn’t know what to do about it as Tao retreated to the bed and curled into the covers, he still hadn’t said a word and Kris was worried the boy was turning into a mute as a result of all the stress. Kris wanted to comfort him and find a way to make him feel safe again but he couldn’t do anything while he was in such a bad state of mind. Deciding the best thing for them both was a little time to think he walked to the bathroom and, closing the door behind him, sunk to the ground. Hugging his legs to his chest the boy let his head loll against the wall behind him and closed his eyes. He had to accept the responsibility, Myung Dae’s death was partly his fault, if he hadn’t been so wrapped up in trying to help Tao he could have paid more attention to the messages he’d been getting from EXO Planet and he could have found a way to save that man. Now it was too late and he had no idea what that would mean for their home. The thought of an entire planet being destroyed because of him was almost too much to bear. He had to start doing something about his new position as a leader, he had to do something more than buy a warehouse, he had to start putting his responsibilities to the other boys and to the planet first and that meant not spending all his time on Tao. That meant not always putting Tao first and he could only do that if he distanced himself from the teenager. Kris decided that he would ask Chen to take the teen in for a while, at least until they made the warehouse liveable. He had to concentrate on the bigger picture and he couldn’t do that unless he took Tao out of the equation, for a while.

*

Staring vacantly at the wall opposite him Tao curled into the bed covers more. Kris’s scent had faded from the sheets after Tao had spent so long in them alone and the comfort of snuggling in the older boy’s bed was fading with it. Closing his eyes Tao tried to ignore the painful guilt that was creeping in on him again. It was his fault that all this was happening. If he’d just been a better member, if he’d listened to Suho better and done what he was asked none of this would have happened. Suho wouldn’t have kicked him out, the others would never have had to make the decision of following Kris or Suho, they wouldn’t have to move to a different facility, Kris wouldn’t have had to take on so much responsibility, Kris wouldn’t have been in pain that day. He wouldn’t have experienced that pain. He wouldn’t have to deal with all the stress of being a leader, he wouldn’t have to worry about five boys he barely knew, he wouldn’t have to deal with Tao. It would have been better if Tao had spoken out when Suho kicked him out, the teen should have told Kris to stay with Suho, he should have told the others to stay as well but he couldn’t. He was too weak and too afraid of being alone. And now, because of his selfishness and fear, not just his friends but his home planet were in danger. Sick of feeling guilty and ashamed Tao stood up and walked back to the front door, putting on his shoes the teen glanced at the bathroom door, Kris was better off without him, they all were. Tao slipped out quietly and closed the door behind him, he paused for a moment.

It’s easier this way.

Not giving himself the chance to change his mind Tao ran away.