Chapter 11 - JaeYoon Couple

Seduced in Sleepless City Vol 1

 

 

That day, I was being hounded to write copy in the editing department.

Oh, here's a picture of Jae Joong eating a kebab.....

The kiss, the banquet, the parting words... My face grew flushed just remembering it all.

"Oh, Jiyoon. Your serial story and photography are both in top form. Last issue made a huge splash!" Editor-in-Chief said, giving me a big smile.

"You mean the one with Jae Joong at the hot spring?"

"Yes, that's the one! Take some more money shots like that one."

They're not that easy to take......

 

"You sure got a bigshot editor attitude Jiyoon,"an old timer commented out loud. Enough for everyone to hear.

Nicole who happened to be at my desk, whispered, "Dont get all upset because you happened to get picked for a full time assignment on Jae Joong. How about gathering some end-of-issue reader presents?"Nicole suggested.

Eversince I got put on this story, I've been the target of people's hatred....

"Dont listen to that Jiyoon,"an editor said to me.

"Yeah, they're just jealous that they are old timer but yet they didnt get picked for it."a young editor adds in.

A lot of colleagues was consoling me but my mind was too preoccupied with the talk of presents.

Reader presents huh...What would they like?

 

"Yes, I was thinking of something for a reader present.. I see, I understand."

I put down the phone dejectedly. Aww, turned down again... I still only have two so far....

"Jiyoon, was that a phone call for a reader's present?"

"Yes... but with the small frame on the present page," I answered. "All I'm getting from people is that they cant give any goods. I'm getting turned down everywhere..."

"Yeah, that happens. I've had a rough time with that before myself,"the male editor said, feeling my pressure. "But there's sure to be somewhere that will offer one, so dont give up."

"Thank you very much!"

 

But after calling around all through the night, I was still stuck with the first two items and nothing else.

"Its already 11pm..I'm in real trouble. Hardly anything's been settled even at this point......."

"Jiyoon!" Nicole calls out to me.

"Nicole, are you putting in obvertime too?"

She nodded. "I'm finally done. What bout you Jiyoon? You should be ready to go by this late, right?"

I pressed my head to my desk, knocking my forehead on the table lightly.

"Actually, I havent gotten the reader presents settled yet, and they're due tomorrow..."

Nicole looks at me sadly."Reader's presents huh? Its tough gathering those."

"Tell me about it. I've never done it before," I lamented.

"If you're in trouble, why dont you consult Hyun Joong for help?"Nicole suggested. ' He's got financial connections. He could gather some in a snap, I bet."

I stopped moving. Hyun Joong eh......

I do not think its a good idea futhermore, I dont want Jae Joong to have any more misunderstanding between me and Hyun Joong.

"No...I'll manage something myself somehow."

"But.."

I look at my good friend with a forced smile. "I'll be fine. Go on home without me."

Nicole was hesitating to leave but she knows how stuborn I can be. "Dont wear yourself too thin now."

"Right, thanks."

Ring...........................................

Oh, its my phone......Its from Hyun Joong! What an incredible timing........

Beep.....

"Hello? Jiyoon here."

"Hello this is Hyun Joong here. I'm so sorry to call you this late."

"Good evening."

"Jiyoon, are you at home right now?"

'No, I've got some work left.. I'm still in the office."

"At this hour of the night? Is there some trouble?"

"Well........"

I just decided to resolve it myself! I cant go relying on Hyun Joong.

"It's dangerous for a girl to work this late at night. Could I ask you to fill me in?"

In the end, I ended up explaining everything to Hyun Joong.

"I see...Then, allow me to handle this. I'll have it resolved by tomorrow morning, don't worry."

"But I couldnt possibly impose..."

"If that bothers you, how about returning the favor by joining me for a late dinner? I'll send someone to pick you up, okay?"

'A-all right..."

 

I stepped into the car Hyun Joong sent to pick me up and headed for the designated hotel. 

 

Let's see, where's Hyung Joong? Oh there he is......

"Sorry, I'm late," I bowed my to him.

"Oh Jiyoon, I should apologize for calling you out here like this."

He stood up, help me to my chair like a true gentleman.

"Not at all. I've shaped up and I'm in a better mood. Were you at work, Hyun Joong?"

"Yes, just a regular meeting."

"It must have been rough to run this late .."

"I should say the same to you."

"Its a meeting where managers gather from every branch across the country,"he explained. "It always ends up running late."

"Is that right? That sounds like a pretty major meeting."

"I'm a little worn out and I wanted to sit back and enjoy a drink so I called you up."

I took a late meal with the champagne that Hyun Joong ordered.

"By the way, about the present discussion we had earlier... If you will include a gift certificate to my hotel, the other presents will be a trifling matter."

"What?" I asked in surprise.

"Doing that... There should be 7 left, yes?"

I nod shyly.

"I can arrange for that many by tomorrow morning."

"Oh, dont! That's not what I consulted with you for..."

But he was adamant. "You came all the way here to accept my dinner invitation. I could hardly let you return empty handed."

But..I'm the one that's being treated here....

"But I couldnt possibly...I'll keep trying a little longer. I'll have all day tomorrow!"

I should give it my all on my own until the last possible second......

After that, I made a samll talk with Hyun Joong and got dropped off at my place.

 

The next morning..........

When I came to work, I found my desk piled high with card board boxes.

"Are t-those?"

The chief editor was shocked by it too. "How'd you pull this off Jiyoon?"

He checked the things out," There's a ton of brands in here that have turned us down everytime we've reached out to them!"

"These apparel brands and cosmetics brands... They're luxury brands that wouldn't possibly be offered as reader presents..."

"There's a letter here. And on this box too."

He read the it out to me, " It says, To Jiyoon , please make use of these for reader presents..."

Hyun Joong? It must be, right?!

I wasted no time in calling Hyun Joong up.

"Did they make it in time for the deadline?"he asked concernly.

"I knew that was you Hyun Joong! Thank you so much, there's so many presents here and all from such major brands..."

"I'm merely glad to have been of service."

"But want it rough for you to get such a huge volume of goods at that hour of night?"

"If this cuts down your workload enough, that should make you free to join me for dinner again, I hope."

Is Hyun Joong showing me consideration..?

"Thank you so much, I mean it." I said gratefully.

I got off the phone around the same time the chief editor looked my way.

"Jiyoon, Kim Jae Joong's office has requested your presence. Mine too."he said.

The look of his face doesnt look good.

Jae Joong's office? What could have happened?

 

Oh, the one sitting over there is the CEO of Cinderella ......

I've seen the CEO  on TV before, but why would a CEO want to talk directly with us?

"This is what you were called in for," he said coldly and threw a photo on the table.

The chief editor took the photo and we were both shocked.

What? A-a photo of Jae Joong and me kissing.....!

"Any recollection of this deed?"

What do I do? How do I respond?

"Umm.. I wont deny it, ' I said softly.

"Does that mean you are in a romantic relationship with Jae Joong?"

"No! Not at all, just.....Jae Joong. He was drunk at the time. I'm sure he doesnt remember any of it."

Jae Joong would say something like ,"I dont know about that crap, I'm sure.

"The weekly papers have blackmailed us with this kissing scene," he continued.

"B-blackmailed?"

"I hope you dont have a reporter from your company acting as an accomplice to this?"

"How could you say that..!"

"That couldnt be further from the truth," Chied editor defended me.

"That's right, and besides, Jae Joong and I arent really in that kind of relationship.."

"The truth doesnt matter. Not in this industry!" the CEO said in anger. "The problem is that appearances lend credibility to rumors."

That is true... if I wasnt a part of this situation. Looking at a photo like this, it might just make such articles believable...

"We've bought up the photos and data. The situation is under control this time but...If this was to happen again..I hope you see where I'm going with this."

Meaning, the serial coverage of Jae Joong will get cut short.....

"I'm so terribly sorry for all the trouble we've put you through," Chief editor said  while bowing his head down low. "It will never happen again!"

"See that it doesnt. I'll warn Jae Joong from my end as well."

Jae Joong, I've put him in a bad spot.........

 

"Well? What was that about?" Chief editor asked me.

"Umm, its really a misunderstanding. I'm .......nothing to Jae Joong."

"Even so, the fact that the kiss happened is undeniable."

"............"

"The CEO said it too. Actions that invite misunderstandings will trump the truth."

"Yes, sir."

"Crossing the line with a writing subject and getting photographed is extremely unprofessional."

"I'm so sorry..."

"They might be thinking you're seducing their own talent. But I dont think you'd do anything of the sort."

"Sir..."

He believes me...

"We had a cute editor picked out for this too, you know," he said in comfort. "You're still new here. Being an editor has been your dream and now you've got it."

"Yes, sir.."

"Dont let that slip thru your fingers. Keep a tight lid on anything that might cross the line with a subject that major. Besides..."

"Isnt Kim Jae Joong going out with Hyuna?'

"That's...a kind of delicate matter. Its.. more like Hyuna's after him."

"Well..our magazine isnt a tabloid. I had you transferred out of all the people here that wanted to be editors because you had what it takes to make it. There are plenty of people who can fill your shoes so try your best not to get dragged down."

The Chief Editor's words words made me want to cry...

I bowed my head and returned to my desk.

 

Oh, another call from Jae Joong...

"Jiyoon! Your phone's ringing again! How many times does this make?"Nicole asked.

"Fifteen times,"I answered in a whisper.

"They're all from Jae Joong right? Are you sure you dont want to answer?"

I'm in no mood to talk to Jae Joong right now...Besides, there's that photo to consider.

I look back at the TV. "And so, the director of the upcoming film with a casino backdrop has expressed enthusiasm that the star role would have to be played by Kim Jae Joong.."

The TV's doing special coverage of Jae Hoong's next film....

"Its true that the image of a frail celebrity fits Jae Joong like a glove!"

Jae Joong has people insisting that roles are made for him and no one else.

Unlike me, having plenty of people who can fill my shoes...

'Geez, you're such a scatterbrain! All you're doing is stare at the TV!' Nicole shouted to me,"I'm sure Jae Joong's worried about you Jiyoon."

Ding Dong.

"Hmm, who could that be at this hour..?"Nicole said.

I dont have anything that counts the way Jae joong does. I just have to work even harder, like what Chief Editor told me...

"What? U-um, yes, she's right inside!!"

Who could be making Nicole so excited?

"Why are you screening my calls?"Jae Joong stormed inside the living room and shouted angrily at me.

Nicole quietly went inside her room.

"Jae Joong.....!"

"How many times do you think I called you? I think you're the only one to ever screen my calls, for that matter."

I stood up and look at him face to face. "What happens if you come all the way out here and get targeted by those paparazzi again?"

Jae Joong soften his eyes,"Oh, I figured that was it.."

I look at him sadly and sat back down on the sofa. My legs felt like jelly, no strength.

Jae Joong took a seat beside me. "I heard the story. You got called to my office, right?"

I nod.

"The CEO flipped out on me. Told me I should change the one in charge of my coverage." He took hold of my hands," You shouldnt worry about a thing. It was all my fault."

"Its not your fault either Jae Joong..."

"But I had no business getting drunk and doing all that ..."

It was just a drunken ardor. I knew it.

Those blue roses must have been because he was drunk and in the mood .... There's no special meaning to them.

I pulled my hands away.

"Anyway, we'll keep going like we have been."

"I dont think that will work out."

"Huh?"

"This is the last time we'll meet like this in private." That was a hard thing for me to say but I had too, no matter what.

'What are you saying?"

"There is no telling when someone might snap another shot like last one. If that happens, my job and your job are both over. The next film you're in is a big budget one isnt it."

'My job isnt going to be ruined by some crazy photo in a tabloid," he insisted.

That might be true for Jae Joong but...

"But its so unprofessional."

"What are you trying to say here?"he gave me a questioning look.

"I've always wanted to be an editor. Now that I am one, I wanna keep at it." I answered. "But I'm not absolutely irreplaceable the you are Jae Joong..Plenty of people can fill in my shoes..."

Oh my god, I might cry....

When I look at Jae Joong, it felt like all of the strained emotions I'd be enduring came bubbling up at once.

"You get people saying its Jae Joong or nothing. I'm not that indispensable. The editing department will keep on going without me."

"Hey, I think that for my close coverage, its you or nothing,"

"But...but that's because of all we've done so far right? If they change the reporter, you'd hit it off with the next person."

'Do you really believe that?"he asked, raising his voice.

"Jae Joong, you dont understand my feeling!" I raised back

He stood up and look down at me. "Yeah, I dont. I dont understand the feelings of the girl huddling and cowering in front of me! And if its not you I know that gets right back up when she gets knocked down, I dont want to understand them either."

Slam!

Nicole came out of her room as soon as she heard the slamming of the door. "Jiyoon."

I broke down.

The me that gets right back up when she gets knocked?

Nicole set a hand on my shoulders as I cried in silence.....

But this girl cowering and agonizing over this, is the real me Jae Joong...