Chapter 9 - JaeYoon Couple

Seduced in Sleepless City Vol 1

I ended up going to the mi-ting after Nicole got a gruding agreement out of me. I settled on going back home to change before heading back to the restaurant.

I saw the table nearly full, only lack of my presence.

"How do you do? I'm Hyorin,a model at Nicole's magazine." Our high school friend was introducing herself when I reached the table.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Nice to meet you. I'm Jeon Jiyoon." I bowed to the guys and sat down beside Nicole.

"They're both friends from high school," Nicole said to the guys opposite us.

The one sitting in front of me introduced himself as Park Yunho. "So Jiyoon, you look like a wonderful girl, so neat and tidy."

Whoa, suddenly we're on a first name basis and talking so bluntly? Are businessmen all like that?

"Thank you."

"But you're an editor right? Isnt that a pretty lowly work? Like how much do you have to love the industry," a man named KangTa said.

Excuse me? Lowly? I happen to be pretty proud of my work!

Nicole tries to calm the situation down when she saw the anger I hid. She has been my friend for years so she can look thru me no matter how good I hide it.

"Oh totally! Businessman must have a totally different job from everyone else huh," she said.

"Do you really fly around overseas?" Hyorin asked the last guy whose name is Shim Changmin.

"I do. I'm with the international division so I actually do that a lot."

"Its a hectic job but definitely worth it," Yunho said.

And our own job are hectic but worthwhile, thank you very much!

"Well, you tend to get a little elitist when you go proper with us," Changmin said.

"Proper?" I asked.

"He means fresh graduates joining the company! Is that right?" Hyorin said. "I bet it must have felt like you're on a whole different level from everyone else!"

For crying out loud! Why are you two flirting with these people?

I couldnt stand it and excused myself to the Ladies. I looked into my own refection in the mirror.

Come on, calm down. If I got irate here, it will reflect poorly on Nicole. I took a deep breath before returning to my seat.

"Nicole, is there anything you're especially good at? Cooking perhaps?"Yunho asked.

"Yeah, I guess I do cook for myself pretty often," she lied smoothly.

Seriously? Has she been cooking lately?

"Men always dream of having a wife who are good at cooking,"Kang Ta adds.

Nicole gave them a big smile. "I've always loved cooking."

The heck you do! You live on a steady diet of Ramen cup and you go to bed without even cleaning up after eating!

I was ready to burst out laughing but I swallowed the urge for Nicole's sake.

"I do a lot of cooking myself," Hyorin informs.

Hyorin had cooking practise in high school. She made cream puffs that were burnt. Black on the outside and raw on the inside. I was in her group so it was kinda hard.

"Oh, speaking of cooking,the women I was going out with before this, was a terrible cook!" Changmin said.

"Oh that Lady banker?" KangTa asked.

"Thats the one! If I had known what I was in for, I would have gone for your amateur model route instead."

"I see, " Nicole said, trying to get into the conversation.

"Still, if I was to consider a wife, it would probably be a cabin attendant. We go overseas a lot so would work out better for both of us that way."

Then what are you doing in the mi-ting with us? Nicole and Hyorin are totally buying this crap. I could use a good opening.

"Hey, there's a bunch of women in the next room that looks good enough to be models!" Yunho said after he got back from the gents.

"For real?" Kang Ta asked.

"Lets go check this out one at a time. You go first," Changmin said excitedly.

The three of us exchanged glances with each other.

Suddenly I have a bad feeling about this.

"These guys are getting on my nerves. Lets treat ourselves to dinner on them and head back," Nicole whispered to us.

"Yeah," Hyorin whispered back.

Even though this restaurant's food look so fantastic. The same meal would have tasted so much better if I had it with Jae Joong or Hyun Joong.

"You know people tell me all the time that I look like Kim Jae Joong," Yunho announce proudly.

I got a big shock hearing that joke.

"See these eyes. They're sharp like his," he continued.

"I dont think you bear the slightest resemblance," I said whats on my mind without thinking.

Opps, I regretted that very moment but it was already too late. What do I do? Everyone's looking at me.

But Nicole is mad at then anyway so why do I care about being polite anymore!

"Jae Joong is much more...... "

Rustle.

Suddenly the restaurant went quiet.

Huh?

"Oh? You'd put me on that level," a familiar voice said right behind me.

"Jae Joong!" He stood right next to me.

"No way! Kim Jae Joong?!," Nicole said in shock.

"OMG!" thats what Hyorin managed to utter.

"Hey, its Kim Jae Joong," a customer from a nearby table said.

Whoa, for real? I want to see," another one said.

"Jae Joong, what are you doing here?" Clench. He pulled me up by the arm.

"Wow, here I thought I havent seen you doing coverage lately and here you are husband-hunting."

"Husband-hunting? That's not..... "

"Er well. What might Kim Jae Joong be doing here?" Yunho asked curiously.

"Jiyoon, do you know him?" Changmin asked.

"I'm doing a close coverage on him."

"Hey you cheapass salaryman. Dont act like you're on a first name basis with her," Jae Joong said angrily. "She's covering me. She's in a different class from you guys."

Thats not the case at all but that makes me happy.

"Hey Jiyoon," he said looking at me.

"Yes?"

"I'm with some other guy in the VIP room above. C'mon."

"Okay."

"Bring your friends too."

"No way!" Nicole said happily.

"I must be dreaming,"Hyorin adds.

"Hey waiter. I'll cover this table's tab."

"Understood Mr Kim."

Nicole pick up her purse, "Well, I guess we're off upstairs."

"Seeya!" Hyorin said as she waving the guys.

"H-hold on ~ " Kang Ta said.

They both look smug. Well who wouldnt be when its Kim Jae Joong who invites them.

Clench. Jae Joong grabbed my hand again. I gave a perfunctory bow and left the three stunned businessman behind.

"There you are Joonie. Where did you go?"

"Hyuna?"

"Oh hello there Jiyoon," Sungkyu said. "I get it. You went to pick Jiyoon up, didnt you?"

"Kim Hyuna," Nicole uttered.

"The whole Infinite is here too," Hyorin whispered to her.

There was another girl present. She must be a model under Hyuna's management company.

"Oh, this be the get together you suggested with Sungkyu before."

"Yeah, I guess you could call this a mi-ting too," he said.

"Joonie, why bother so much over that girl?" Hyuna said unhappily. She forced herself between us.

Oh, Hyuna resting her head on his shoulder. She's pretty well suited to this kind of behaviour I guess.

"Shut up. Out of the way." He brushed her off.

"Ack!" Jae Joong put his arm around my shoulder.....

"Jiyoon, right this way. You two have a seat."

Nicole and Hyorin nodded happily. After that, Nicole demostrated her editor's nose by chatting up the other Infinite's member for coverage material. After she was done, she came back to my side and whispered," Jiyoon, oh I'm excited that I think I almost have nosebleed! I'm going to powder my nose."

"I'm coming too."

 

I stepped out of the washroom with Nicole, and saw two figures out in front of the VIP room door.

Oh, its Sungkyi and that model from Hyuna's company. They're giving off pretty good vibes. They're embracing each other.

"Nicole, lets hide."

"Right."

That was easier said than done. There was no cover in the halls and no place to hide. What do I do? It'll be awkward for both sides if they spot us. Just as I was having that thought, I caught Sungkyu's eyes!

"Oh hi Jiyoon," he said, arm wrapping around the model's waist.

"Oh, sorry for intruding."

"Dont worry about it. After all you're the one Jae Joong keeps pampering."

I can smell liquor from his breath from here.

"Ya'know Jiyoon, every girl really likes Jae Joong. I bet you must be feeling pretty good about this."

"Er..... "

"What are you doing out here?" Jae Joong calls out as he walk up to me.

"I was kinda amused why you would give all your attention and hospitality to the little people like these girls." Sungkyu said to Jae Joong when he reaches my side.

"What?"

"Ya'see, I'd go for hot models or actress any day over plain Janes like them. Thats what I came out of Jeonrado for, and it worked."

That was his goal?

"Com'on Jae Joong, I bet deep down inside you'd take Hyuna in a hearbeat ovet some editor chick! You're just playing it nice coz its all part of the job right?"

I cant believe I'm hearing this from Sungkyu. What a horrible thing to say.

"I'm not really...... "Sungkyu said but stopped to hiccup.

Jae Joong snorted at his words. " Thats a pretty low motive."

I started to object but Jae Joong held up a hand and silenced me.

"Thats a hell of a goal to come all the way from Jeonrado for. I bet your music is just another way to get chicks huh."

"Wh......"

But Jae Joong cuts him off. "Relax Sungkyu. You're at the height of your popularity. All you've got ahead of you is a steady decline. Play around with the models and actress while you can. Make some memories for yourself before the royalty wears off."

"Jae Joong is so cool," Nicole gushed.

"Yeah."

"C'mon Jiyoon."

Clench.

He's tugging my arm again!

"Oh, and would you mind laying off this one? She's a dedicated hard worker unlike a guy with your low motives," he said before dragging me away.

Jae Joong...... He really notice me.

When we returned to the room, everyone was in high spirits.

"Its gotten busy in here since we left," I said.

"Hyorin is hitting it off with the band too," Nicole adds.

She notice our presence and calls out to us. " Hey, Nicole! Jiyoon! Come over here quick."

"Uh oh, I wont be beaten. My blood is boiling," Nicole said as she made her way to her.

I wanted to follow but...... "Hey, where are you going?" Jae Joong asked.

Clench.

"Where? With Nicole."

"Let your other friend handle her. I'm tired. Join me for a sec."

Huh, we're going outside.

"I didnt know they had a place like this here."

"Phew. Fresh air feels great after suffocating in a room full of alcohol breath."

"You never get drunk no matter how much you drink, do you?"

"My brother's been building up my call tolerance for new years."

"Oh my, its Kim Jae Joong!"

"He looks even better in person.!"

 

We were talking pretty quietly but it looks like his pretty face still draw attention anyway.

"Jae Joong, will you be alright? It looks like you're getting some attention," I asked in concern.

"All the guest here are rich celebrities. Nobody's gonna freak out and cause a fuss."

"Speaking of that, how'd you know I am here?"

"The VIP room we were in has a view of the restaurant below. I happened to peek down and there you were."

"And thats why you came all that way for us?"

He laughs. "You had this totally disinterested look on your face. The men seem chirpier but you'd been looking unimpressed from the start."

"They were such awful people," I protested.

Not only them, Sungkyu is pretty awful too for that matter. No amount of drunkards can excuse that kind of talk.

"Ugh. Forget those businessman. Forget Sungkyu. Forget men!" I said in anger. "Why are they so fixated on appearances and vain things?"

He turned his head to me. "Not all men are like that you know."

"Maybe not but all I've been seeing lately are these comparative evaluations, like saying this women is better than that women. Its so demeaning to be compared like that."

"Whats the problem? With you, when you see something to eat, snaps you right out of any funk."

"Maybe so but actually, no! There are times when even going on a binge doesnt leave me satisfied!"

He grins. "So you are a binge eater!"

"Geez! You know, my friend once told me that marriage is trade off between looka and money. Is that really true? Its so unromantic."

"If thats the case,whats in for me when I already have the looks and money?"

I rolled my eyes. He doesnt seem to understand. "Are you going on about that again?"

"Its the truth. Judging from your prespective, that would mean guys with no money or looks would never be able to get married."

I fell silent.

"What about what's inside?"

"Thats a surprising thing to hear, coming from you."

He looked away. "You've got a strong spirit and you look out for others. Dont worry about what anyone else says. Live by absolute value."

Jae Joong's complimenting me. He must be a little drunk. I never hear him do that.

"You already have absolute value to live by, Jae Joong."

He looked affected by what I said.

"Yeah but even I have someone I cant beat."

"Oh, really? Who?"

"My brother,"he confessed.

"But you and him are completely different people," I tried to reason out.

"We are but my brother has always been the smart one that can do almost anything. He's been Daddy's favourite. Though I'm proud of him too, of course."

"You two get along so nicely."

"But surely you know how I do whatever I want. I'm the family rebel. Its because I'm afraid I wont get the result I had expected."

"I see."

Even when Jae Joong looks like he's succeeding by doing whatever he wants. The truth is far from it.

"He starts one business after another. But he's not really trying to show off or succeed. Its more like he's just doing what he feels like doing."

"Oh, so thats how it works."

"I take after my mother. A pretty face is all that I have. I'm no match for my brother."

Hyun Joong is a pretty amazing person with a lot of personal drive but there's no need for Jae Joong to let that bother him. Those two siblings arent just the talk of Korea but also the whole world. It must be the kind of trouble they someone like me would never understand.

"Man, I must be drunk for once in my life. Stick around a little longer while I sober up."

After a few minutes of silent, he said," I think I might have said too much. Sorry for making you see this side of me. Forget everything that you heard today."

"It wasnt that bad actually, this side of you."

A laugh escaped my lips.

"Are you laughing?"

I punched him lightly on his chest. "Oh come on! You're always picking on me. Its nice to see you show some weakness for once."

"I told you I'm drunk."

"But I feel at ease around you, Jae Joong. I've even gotten used to you picking on me and yanking my arms around."

"Whats that supposed to mean?"

"Just that with you,what might hit me hard coming from other people, just rolls off my back," I confess.

"Look."

Clench.

Geez, he's tugging my hand as soon as I mentioned it. Huh?

Squeeze.

Jae Joong pulled me over and embraced me tightly!

"Jae Joong,ummm."

"Enough." Jae Joong brushed his hand along my cheek and gazed right at me. His face drew closer and closer.

"Mmm." I gasped.

Me and Jae Joong kissing?

It was so sudden, I just went along with it. Somehow it feels so right.

 

End of Chapter 9.

 

Text received -

 Jiyoon, you've vanished on me so suddenly. You're with Jae Joong right? We pretty much split off and I'm on my way home now. Stay sharp and come home soon! - Nicole